Mower Racing to Start in the City of ...

Mower Racing to Start in the City of Charm

Posted in the Sebring Forum

Since: Aug 13

Birmingham, MI

#1 Aug 25, 2013
Avon Park - Some call it "The Greatest Show on Turf," although there is precious little grass on the wide clay loop that runs over an eighth of a mile at the Avon Park Mowerplex.
"We just call it lawn mower racing," said Lakeland's Wes Pyburn, who has taken over management of the facility on the westernmost end of the Avon Park Municipal Airport with business associate and fellow racer Sean Kennedy of Fort Myers.
Hundreds of people turn out one Saturday a month to watch guys and gals on brightly colored, souped-up lawn mowers run in classes which range from nearly stock to highly modified.
"We have some that can get up tp 40-50 miles per hour," said Pyburn. "It's a lot of fun out there."
In addition to being a lot of fun on the track, it is a lot of fun off the track as well. The season opener, scheduled for Sept 7, has been labeled "Family Fun Night." Among the things planned are a power-wheels race for the kids, a special "train" that will carry youngsters about the grounds and perhaps a bounce-house or other inflatable for the children as well.
The best part may well be the price.
"I don't know that it has been raised in ten years," Pyburn said. "It is still $5 for adults and kids 11 and under get in free."
The idea, he said, was to keep the whole show family friendly, where a couple could bring the kids out to an evening of entertainment without "busting the budget."
After opening night, the races will be held the second Saturday of each month. A different theme has been planned for each one with the focus set on veterans, those in Rotary and other clubs and a special night for those coming in from outside Highlands County. In the ensuing months, a number of other special events have been placed on the schedule including autograph nights, a drifting exhibition and a special invitational celebrity race.
The Avon Park MowerPlex is located on Herrick Road just off State Road 64. Those wanting additional information can go to the group's web site at www.mowerplex.com or go to the Facebook page simply by searching "Avon Park Mowerplex."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sebring Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
pj sutton Feb 21 hum 1
Chaney's Used Cars is a Dishonest Business-Tell... (Nov '09) Feb 7 Cassandra S 8
Is Mary merchant still chasing after married men? Feb 7 Jitter bug 1
looking for John Adkins Feb 3 old friend 1
New Highlands County Arrests & Mugshots (Feb '14) Jan 25 Ken 3
Kenilworth lodge still in business? Jan '17 Beej 1
Looking for a friend of mine. Jan '17 Jitter bug 1

Sebring Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Sebring Mortgages