Senior PG&E director admits snooping ...

Senior PG&E director admits snooping on SmartMeter critics

There are 33 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Nov 9, 2010, titled Senior PG&E director admits snooping on SmartMeter critics. In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

The PGE director who oversees the utility's controversial SmartMeter program has admitted using a false name to try to join an online group opposed to the meters and secretly monitoring other online forums critical of PGE.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
john doe

Santa Cruz, CA

#1 Nov 9, 2010
Smart meters? STUPID director...

Since: Oct 10

San Mateo, CA

#2 Nov 9, 2010
"dismal customer service" is right. And add to that the highest electric and gas rates in the continental United States by far. Do you realize they are marking up natural gas right now almost 1000% and on your bill you can see we pay delivery/distribution charges separately. Natural gas is at the lowest prices since 2002 ( http://futures.tradingcharts.com/chart/NG/M ). And what percentage of electricity is generated using natural gas? PG&E does not disclose on its site but says that 24% nationally is generated using natural gas. Where is all of this money going, besides spying?

http://smokefilledworld.com
Jimmy

Santa Barbara, CA

#3 Nov 9, 2010
unless he tried to influence them, you can't say that he's uninterested or nonresponsive to the public
jose

United States

#4 Nov 9, 2010
Is it time yet to take this utilities employee discount away yet? The utilities employees get a 25% discount on their own bills every month.
They used to be a respectable company until they became a monopoly.
Much of the work they do it contracted out to someone else. That would include the installation of smart meters.
Ex Liberal

United States

#5 Nov 9, 2010
Millions of people blog daily! I thought everyone always used their real names to surf the web blog sites and interject opinions and comments?
Technocracy

Santa Cruz, CA

#6 Nov 9, 2010
Images at bottom of page for visual review. Very informative.

The August Review
http://tinyurl.com/2bkr73f

Lastly, there is an assumption throughout Smart Grid literature that the Federal Administration will have full visibility of all data within the Smart Grid, even down to the individual household. They will also be in a position to set national, regional and local distribution and consumption policies, such as your "fair share" of available energy, gas and water.

International standards created for Smart Grid will also enable the U.S. Smart Grid to be connected seamlessly with Canada and Mexico, thus providing a comprehensive North American energy management and distribution system.

Is Smart Grid destined to be a global phenomenon? Yes. Is it designed to support a new global Technocratic, resource-based economic system? Yes.

Technocracy must be seen for what it is: An attempt to impose a totalitarian, scientific dictatorship. In 1933, it called for the inauguration of Franklin Delano Roosevelt as dictator in order to "pave the way for economic revolution." Fortunately at the time, they failed in their attempted coup.

If today's Smart Grid is successfully completed, it will enable the conversion of our existing economic system into something far different and far worse. This is why the American people repudiated Technocracy in 1933, and this is exactly why we (and citizens around the world) should thoroughly repudiate it today.

Since: Jan 10

Santa Cruz, CA

#7 Nov 9, 2010
I must admit, this whole story has now been ruined forever for me because I'm envisioning a whole group of citizens who share a common concern for the effect of EMF's and Radio Frequencies being emitted by the SmartMeter, all whilst sharing their concerns on an internet forum sitting surrounded by their EMF emitting computers, wired and wireless routers and computer monitors. Not to mention, an entire residence surrounded by EMF's...(and planet).
Not my real identity

San Francisco, CA

#8 Nov 9, 2010
Given some of the characters coming to public meetings to rail about smart meters, I would never use my real identity to participate in an online conversation about the issue. I have my reservations about the meters and the programs, but also believe I have a right to anonymity in the conversation. Given that I feel that way about my participation, I don't see why a PG&E executive can't lurk as well. Did he post any false or misleading information? Did he try to steer or stifle the discussion?

If you want to have a forum for real identities only, best make it flesh & blood.
Soquel Local

Hollister, CA

#9 Nov 9, 2010
He should have been easy to spot. He would be the only one at the ban smart meter meeting without a tinfoil hat on his head!
David

AOL

#12 Nov 9, 2010
I find this paragraph to be very interesting:

"In recent months, as SmartMeters have increasingly been installed in left-leaning counties such as Marin, Sonoma and Santa Cruz, health issues have come to the forefront. PG&E and the PUC have been flooded with complaints related to fears of electromagnetic radiation, or EMF, from the meters. Some consumers have said the meters are making them physically ill, while others are worried the meters will increase their risk of brain cancer"

Can anyone give me a reason why this is so? Why do "left- leaning counties" stand out so in this and other issues related to health concerns about this issue and others (brown month spraying for example)?
SC Forever

San Pablo, CA

#13 Nov 9, 2010
SmokeFilledWorld wrote:
"dismal customer service" is right. And add to that the highest electric and gas rates in the continental United States by far. Do you realize they are marking up natural gas right now almost 1000% and on your bill you can see we pay delivery/distribution charges separately. Natural gas is at the lowest prices since 2002 ( http://futures.tradingcharts.com/chart/NG/M ). And what percentage of electricity is generated using natural gas? PG&E does not disclose on its site but says that 24% nationally is generated using natural gas. Where is all of this money going, besides spying?
http://smokefilledworld.com
Then turn off your heater and put on a sweater!
SC Forever

San Pablo, CA

#14 Nov 9, 2010
We have high-voltage lines over our heads, radon coming from rocks underground, cell phones to our ears. Smartmeter opponents go volunteer to do something good (like help in a kindergarten room with 30 kids and a frazzled teacher, or visit a rest-home with lonely elderly folks looking for someone to just talk to).
Puzzled

Alviso, CA

#15 Nov 9, 2010
I have always assumed that on any Internet discussion board there are shills promoting things anonymously, spies manipulating the conversation anonymously, and lurkers monitoring the buzz for their own purposes. If you want confirmed ID and "club" exclusivity, hold your "activist" meetings in person (don't forget the tin hats!). Don't expect the real-world rules to apply on the anon Internet. This man may have acted like an idiot in not disguising his identity adequately, but his attempt to get in with the tin hat brigade is hardly surprising. PG&E management would have to be pretty dim to ignore the wide-open door that is the Internet forum. I don't see why this is an issue at all.
Puzzled

Alviso, CA

#16 Nov 9, 2010
David wrote:
I find this paragraph to be very interesting:
"In recent months, as SmartMeters have increasingly been installed in left-leaning counties such as Marin, Sonoma and Santa Cruz, health issues have come to the forefront. PG&E and the PUC have been flooded with complaints related to fears of electromagnetic radiation, or EMF, from the meters. Some consumers have said the meters are making them physically ill, while others are worried the meters will increase their risk of brain cancer"
Can anyone give me a reason why this is so? Why do "left- leaning counties" stand out so in this and other issues related to health concerns about this issue and others (brown month spraying for example)?
They are full of lawyers who work for public interest law firms. And they have lots of hot tubs they need to keep fired up during peak hours.

You use what you have. If a judge will bite on the EMF claim, you use it. Add a soupçon of civil liberties, and you're cooking with gas....
Seacliff Local

Elk Grove, CA

#17 Nov 9, 2010
"People with electrosensitivity are always accused of being tin foil hat crazies,"

I don't know why I find that so deliciously funny but I do and I can't stop laughing!!!!!
stupid prunetucky monkey

Santa Cruz, CA

#18 Nov 9, 2010
Devereaux is a scumbag. He should be fired. PG&E is a total scam!!! They charge us arbitrary rates as a private monopoly. It is long overdue for PG&E to be regulated and forced to compete for our business. What a rip off!!!
Soquel Local

Hollister, CA

#19 Nov 9, 2010
Ryan Coonerty has been spying on Sentinel Blogs for years trying to confirm if he is stupid or really stupid
Soquel Local

Hollister, CA

#20 Nov 9, 2010
Puzzled wrote:
<quoted text>
They are full of lawyers who work for public interest law firms. And they have lots of hot tubs they need to keep fired up during peak hours.
You use what you have. If a judge will bite on the EMF claim, you use it. Add a soupçon of civil liberties, and you're cooking with gas....
And left leaning counties have close ties to unions representing PG&E meter readers which created the smart meter EMF myths to protect these depression era jobs.
Soquel Local

Hollister, CA

#21 Nov 9, 2010
Seacliff Local wrote:
"People with electrosensitivity are always accused of being tin foil hat crazies,"
I don't know why I find that so deliciously funny but I do and I can't stop laughing!!!!!
I can picture a full line of EMF protective gear starting with lead lined cell phone cases!

Since: Feb 08

Santa Cruz

#22 Nov 9, 2010
I don't think his intent was malicious. What was he going to do with this info, vandalize or otherwise harass the complainants? I think that maybe he was trying to learn what was bothering people and what the motivation was behind the complaints.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sebastopol Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Banfield The Pet Hospital - Kuldip Kund... (Aug '09) Sat gub gub gubgub 7
News Gang ties alleged in torture case (Jan '10) Aug 17 The Way101 1,214
News Teen Dies After Being Stabbed With Pen (Aug '08) Aug 11 Ana Michelle 49
News Double Down Jul '16 mothballs r okay 7
News Novato cops sue lieutenant and city alleging ge... Jun '16 copper mouth baby 5
News Man attempts to rob car wash with potato chip bag May '16 Krysto Frendt 14
News Crowdfunding for a cause May '16 Leslie 1

Sebastopol Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Sebastopol Mortgages