Some Marin residents prepare for brave new world altered by oil and...

There are 20 comments on the Jul 16, 2010, Marin Independent Journal story titled Some Marin residents prepare for brave new world altered by oil and.... In it, Marin Independent Journal reports that:

Andre Angelantoni of San Rafael sees a future in which global warming and dwindling oil supplies result in spiraling unemployment, food shortages and rising poverty; that's the bad news.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Marin Independent Journal.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
The Truth

Mill Valley, CA

#1 Jul 16, 2010
It's nice that "Andre" sees global warming blah blah blah. Too bad it's all been shown to be a shame. Climategate. Look it up. Remember the mantra "It's based on science" so shut up. Actually, it's based on a pre-concievded conclusion and back filled with false data. Google it.

“Taste great in milk!”

Since: Aug 08

#2 Jul 16, 2010
Andre is hoarding ammunition.

"peak oil"...that's almost as funny as "global warming".
Pot Smoking Moronite

United States

#4 Jul 16, 2010
What a load of crap.

All is well in Marin, right? Medical marijuana, a zen inspired "man cave" complete with candles and a teak bench, the ever popular Range Rover, and a condo in Tahoe. Isn't life in the liberal fantasyland just perfect?
jesse

Novato, CA

#5 Jul 16, 2010
there is an angel inside the Ij, they know the truth....this is why you see these types of "new" articles....

NWO awaits you
Al Ozone

Mill Valley, CA

#6 Jul 16, 2010
Whatever happened to the O-zone? We were all supposed to have been dead by now.

Thank you IJ for promoting another Doomsday witch doctor. Maybe he'll strike it as rich and as fat as Al Gore, who is now looking for an O-zone on a massage table.
jesse

Novato, CA

#7 Jul 16, 2010
Al Ozone wrote:
Whatever happened to the O-zone? We were all supposed to have been dead by now.
Thank you IJ for promoting another Doomsday witch doctor. Maybe he'll strike it as rich and as fat as Al Gore, who is now looking for an O-zone on a massage table.
If you had any idea what is going on in the world of finance, you would have kissed "it" goodby a long time ago...

Since: Jun 10

Marin County

#8 Jul 16, 2010
Batman wrote:
who is this guy and why should i care what his opinions are?
He's none other than Chicken Little and he's absolutely correct. By the time we all reach 720 years of age, we may have energy issues. Might as well start worrying about it ahead of time, eh?
jesse

Novato, CA

#9 Jul 16, 2010
Bill E Goat wrote:
<quoted text>
He's none other than Chicken Little and he's absolutely correct. By the time we all reach 720 years of age, we may have energy issues. Might as well start worrying about it ahead of time, eh?
you can have energy "issues" anytime they want you to...that is the least of your concerns....they will set off teotwawki and stand back while you do their job for them...

Since: Jun 10

Marin County

#10 Jul 17, 2010
jesse wrote:
<quoted text>
you can have energy "issues" anytime they want you to...that is the least of your concerns....they will set off teotwawki and stand back while you do their job for them...
Actually, I have no concerns at all as it's been an awesome ride so far. Even if it IS the end of the world as we know it...I feel fine.
FatFreddysCat

Novato, CA

#11 Jul 17, 2010
After the meeting, everyone drove off in their SUV's to their 6,000 sq. ft. homes and watched their 60" plasma TV's.
Like Duh

San Rafael, CA

#12 Jul 17, 2010
A lot of people are being very mean. I found his Elementry Headgear class to be very helpful. His clever use of origami techniques and insisting on quality Reynolds Aluminum Foil have allowed me to protect my own thoughts and the freedom to function without interference from you know who.
Please excuse me. My ears are ringing and I must answer them.
us citizen

Fairfield, CA

#13 Jul 17, 2010
what a load of dung
Marin local

Novato, CA

#14 Jul 17, 2010
Ride your bikes!
nah415

San Rafael, CA

#15 Jul 17, 2010
"new technology will continue to make new supplies of oil available." But at what cost to the environment? We are seeing only a small part of the devastation in the Gulf and it's easy to ignore it when you live in Marin and see bounty all around. The reality is, our supply of fossil fuel IS finite. We may not know the exact day we will run out of oil, but we know it is sometime in the future. Perhaps not in our lifetimes, but maybe in the lifetimes of our children or grandchildren?

I think a lot of people are scared off by the "doom and gloom" of peak oil enthusiasts and think that they are predicting an apocalypse. A very good hypothesis of what may happen is available in John Greer's book "The Long Descent." He believes that resources will become more scare gradually and he uses examples from the decline of past civilizations to make his point. Jared Diamond's "Collapse" is also a good read.

No one expects Americans to just change their ways overnight. But by considering the possibility of a significant decline in our standard of living, we may take better care of our planet and our resources while we still can.
Drake dad

San Rafael, CA

#16 Jul 17, 2010
Close Wall Mart and we close the trade gap. It's that easy. Stop sending your money to China. Buy only things produced in the United States. It's possible.
This reporter is drinking the Onama cool aid of tough love austerity without a straw.
The problem is the bankers and government have no interest in helping the voters' lives get better. Politicians are living up to the Greek definition of "many blood sucking ticks". Never vote for another Democrat.
Planet Marin

Novato, CA

#17 Jul 17, 2010
You have got to be kidding me...as a fellow Marinite, I'm embarrassed by this idiot.
Harmon

Mill Valley, CA

#18 Jul 17, 2010
Demand is doubling every generation, supplies are dwindling. There is no technological fix. Meanwhile the high school drop outs listening to Rush have it all figured out: it's just another way to trick them into paying more for gas and punitive taxation for the billionaires that they will never be.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/oiaf/aeo/otheranalysis...
The U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) recently did a detailed study of the likely outcome of offshore drilling for their Annual Energy Outlook 2007,“Impacts of Increased Access to Oil and Natural Gas Resources in the Lower 48 Federal Outer Continental Shelf (OCS).” The sobering conclusion:
The projections in the OCS access case indicate that access to the Pacific, Atlantic, and eastern Gulf regions would not have a significant impact on domestic crude oil and natural gas production or prices before 2030.
And the impact of the projected 7%(!) increase in lower-48 oil production that might result in 2030 thanks to opening the OCS is expected to be insignificant.”
Harmon

Mill Valley, CA

#19 Jul 17, 2010
Educated people cannot discuss anything relative to resource scarcity without seeing this video:

http://globalpublicmedia.com/lectures/461

"Can you think of any problem in any area of human endeavor on any scale, from microscopic to global, whose long-term solution is in any demonstrable way aided, assisted, or advanced by further increases in population, locally, nationally, or globally?" - Professor Albert Bartlett

http://www.albartlett.org/presentations/arith...

Tumors grow uncontrollably; bodies and steady systems are stable and replenish themselves in a controlled manner. Perennial growth is the ideology of the tumor. A steady population is the hallmark of a healthy system.
Timmy

Mill Valley, CA

#20 Jul 17, 2010
Planet Marin wrote:
You have got to be kidding me...as a fellow Marinite, I'm embarrassed by this idiot.
I'm embarrased by the superficial filler-between-advertisements- treatment that the I.J. has done of the subject. As usual, they focus on a goofy personality rather than discuss the philosophy that the personality has latched onto.

Don't judge the subject by the manner in which media treats it.

All you out there that think that this is a load of hogwash, why don't you go out and buy a 40' RV or a house in Las Vegas? Come on, put your money where your mouth is. Me, I'm going to buy a couple more berry bushes to plant today.
Boner

Moraga, CA

#21 Jul 17, 2010
Who's going to take care of all the illegal aliens and their families with 5 kids?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sebastopol Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Gang ties alleged in torture case (Jan '10) Apr 18 BLINDWAY 1,209
Review: Just-in Time Home Services Apr 7 Jane P 1
News Novato Woman Ordered to Stand Trial in Alleged ... (Apr '13) Apr 3 Commander Bunny 27
News Village at Westfield Topanga reaches a milestone Jan '15 Shylock 2
News The weirdest Bay Area crime stories of 2014 Dec '14 interesting 1
News LGBT baby boomers face tough retirement hurdles Dec '14 Allah Snack Bar 1
News In U.S., 1 in 5 Reported Hate Crimes Target Gay... Dec '14 Christsharian Dee... 30
More from around the web

Sebastopol People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]