New firearms rule to goes into effect

New firearms rule to goes into effect

There are 4 comments on the West Seattle Herald story from Oct 15, 2009, titled New firearms rule to goes into effect. In it, West Seattle Herald reports that:

Mayor Greg Nickels and the Seattle Parks and Recreation have put into effect a new rule that prohibits the possession or display of firearms at designated facilities where children and youth are likely to be present, which includes most city-owned open space or recreational facilities.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at West Seattle Herald.

Edd

Seattle, WA

#1 Oct 15, 2009
Like most firearms regulations, all this does is serve to disarm citizens against criminals.

The logic of Mayor Nichols, according to the article, is:

“When children and families visit a Seattle Parks and Recreation pool, playground, community center or other facility, they are entitled to a reasonable expectation of safety,” said Nickels in a news release.

My question is how is this reasonable expectation of safety supposed to be enforced when there are only two types of people allowed to have weapons- criminals and cops. Last I heard, cops have a several minute to several hour response time. So if some psycho or criminal decides to shoot up law abiding citizens...who will stop the person? Cops about ten minutes later after all the bullets have stopped flying?

I hope this ridiculous law gets overturned as soon as possible, especially since it is in conflict with state law.
Steve

Redmond, WA

#2 Oct 18, 2009
What disturbs me here is that the Mayor thinks he has the power to do this. He doesn't.

Washington has state-level firearms laws, and explicitly forbids cities to pass their own restrictions on top of the state ones. It is NOT LEGAL for Seattle, or any other city, to pass its own restrictions.

This WILL be fought in court, and the Mayor WILL lose.

Washington has one set of laws for everyone. These laws have worked well; the Mayor is inventing a problem where there really isn't one.

Even if you hate and fear guns, are you comfortable with the Mayor acting like he has the power to ignore the laws passed by the state legislature?
christmas bell

Morehead, KY

#3 Dec 14, 2009
join nra now
3rd street

Seattle, WA

#4 Dec 14, 2009
Detroit, L.A., Pheonix, and many other cities have long standing policies forbidding uniformed officers from hanging around any doughnut, coffe shop or kiosk or even a food cart for more than a minute because gang members would shoot at them. They were to randomly call in food orders, run in and get them and get out. They were also banned from parking and sitting in their police vehicles for more than a few minutes for the same reason....... Meanwhile, the world marches on towards a New World One World Order and it will ban and find simple ways to keep people from carrying metal (and plastic) firearms, knives and weapons......There are too many rich and powerful people who are frightened of the unwashed masses and angered psychotics and lunatic religious fringe to allow us to all go back to unbridled carrying of weapons.... Start banding together like they used to as extending families carrying bamboo poles and bows and arrows to defend yourself. It will be fun untill a family member goes berserk and tries to murder you all in your beds as so many have with firearms.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

First Hill Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Any Woman looking for a ANR ABF connection? (Jul '12) Sat lusciousbreasts43 4
White Center 16th Ave Oct 13 Curious George 123 1
News Charge: Man exposed himself at White Center lib... Oct 11 Jules 1
Review: I Love Kickboxing - Kirkland (Dec '15) Sep 16 Dina 30
Looking for depression treatment Aug '17 Will 2
Bellevue, WA. Haunts (Jun '06) Aug '17 Kristine 16
News Seattle mayor to deliver state-of-the-city addr... (Feb '17) Feb '17 Bill Phillips 6

First Hill Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

First Hill Mortgages