Pedestrians raise flags for safety

There are 16 comments on the Evening Sun story from May 4, 2009, titled Pedestrians raise flags for safety. In it, Evening Sun reports that:

No, they're not playing a game of Capture the Flag. If you see someone crossing a street near New Oxford square with a bright orange flag, it's a safety precaution.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Evening Sun.

ForReal

Harrisburg, PA

#1 May 5, 2009
Wave it high...wave it low...as you go, go, go....
HAD ENOUGH

Carlisle, PA

#2 May 5, 2009
Those flags will be gone in a week.

Since: Aug 08

Gettysburg, PA

#3 May 5, 2009
HAD ENOUGH wrote:
Those flags will be gone in a week.
Someone's going to find a way to sabotage this operation, unfortunately.
anonymous

Washington, DC

#4 May 5, 2009
I think this is a good idea but unfortunately in our world today, there are people out there that will just ruin it for everyone else. It's a shame these type of people can't find something more constructive to do. And the paper should never have mentioned that are cheap to replace, that was a sure sign to say it's okay to take them. At $1.50 a piece over time could add up.

But a very good idea.
Gabbysmom

Gettysburg, PA

#5 May 5, 2009
This is an excellent idea. I hope that it goes well. The streets there are very dangerous to cross and I think it is a great idea.
Lezza

Lebanon, PA

#6 May 5, 2009
Good luck with this program. Hope it works.
I live in East Berlin and walk in the crosswalks and have almost been hit a few times. Drivers need to slow down when driving thru a town.
R_Laughman

Gettysburg, PA

#7 May 5, 2009
We lived right on the square in New Oxford for 7 years, until 1993. I would have LOVED those flags back then when crossing the street with my two kids. And they would have, too!

A very nice, low cost, feasible idea. Hope it works out!!
thoughts

Dallas, PA

#8 May 5, 2009
this is a great idea as long as people respect the concept and dont take the flags, wish they had this last year, a family member of mine was hit by a school bus that didnt see her.hopefully this will help prevent any more incidents like that.
hahaha

AOL

#9 May 5, 2009
I honestly think this is hilarious...its going to be a joke to the town...sorry but i will not be able to help but LAUGH as i go through there and see people caring these flags. normal people for one will not do this unless they are making fun of it all together. and the person who commented about east berlin...i dont get it..im sorry but i am MUCH smaller than a vehicle so i am not going to just walk out on a crosswalk and EXPECT the cars to stop...state law or not you are smaller than a vehicle just wait til it drives by is it really that hard. and i LOVE the people who purposely use this law to there advantage and take there good ol' time strolling across the road.
ES reader

AOL

#10 May 5, 2009
thoughts wrote:
this is a great idea as long as people respect the concept and dont take the flags, wish they had this last year, a family member of mine was hit by a school bus that didnt see her.hopefully this will help prevent any more incidents like that.
I had a family member struck a few years ago, while she was crossing in the crosswalk in New Oxford.
I'm so glad to hear that the committee has come up with the idea of the orange flags. Let's all hope that the traffic/ drivers do pay attention.
Bob

United States

#11 May 5, 2009
What is it with people who walk out in front of a car doing the speed limit and hardly give someone enough room to stop. Cars can't go from 35 to 0 in 15 feet. I laugh when they just barge out there like they are the king of the town. One of these days when your laying up in a hopsital you will ask if it was worth proving your point.
New Oxford Mom

Newville, PA

#12 May 5, 2009
Why don't the police park in front of the Park Hotel from 6:45am-7:30am and watch the kids driving like maniacs on their way to the High School? I've almost been "pushed" out of the way, in my vehicle, tring to get my daughter to N.O.M.S.!! Also, perhaps a REAL officer in the car would help too! Oh, and the tractor trailer drivers coming from G'burg... they don't yeild when coming to "the cirle", they keep barreling through! Gee, E.A.R.P., I feel so safe in New Oxford. I can't believe they still use that manequin!! Anybody agree??
Go Green

Ocean City, NJ

#13 May 6, 2009
I have an idea... S L O W D O W N !!!!!
ForReal

Harrisburg, PA

#14 May 6, 2009
Bob wrote:
What is it with people who walk out in front of a car doing the speed limit and hardly give someone enough room to stop. Cars can't go from 35 to 0 in 15 feet. I laugh when they just barge out there like they are the king of the town. One of these days when your laying up in a hopsital you will ask if it was worth proving your point.
I agree with you! Back home in Pottstown, we learned a long time ago to never walk in front of a moving vehicle. I wait until there is no one coming, then I walk. In Hanover, everyone just walks accross streets like everyone is going to stop.
irony

Gettysburg, PA

#15 May 7, 2009
The manequin is cheaper on donuts and coffee!
New Oxford Mom wrote:
Why don't the police park in front of the Park Hotel from 6:45am-7:30am and watch the kids driving like maniacs on their way to the High School? I've almost been "pushed" out of the way, in my vehicle, tring to get my daughter to N.O.M.S.!! Also, perhaps a REAL officer in the car would help too! Oh, and the tractor trailer drivers coming from G'burg... they don't yeild when coming to "the cirle", they keep barreling through! Gee, E.A.R.P., I feel so safe in New Oxford. I can't believe they still use that manequin!! Anybody agree??
ForReal

Harrisburg, PA

#16 May 7, 2009
irony wrote:
The manequin is cheaper on donuts and coffee!<quoted text>
I love this! Think of all the gas it saves too!!!!!!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

First Hill Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Creepy or cozy? Cuddle club opens in Seattle May 20 DILF 13
News 'Daughters of the Samurai': between Japan and A... May 17 Ainu 5
News Hundreds [~1500] call for Jewish solidarity: Ha... (Jan '09) Apr 24 lavon affair 3
ANR ABF Relationships in Kirkland (Jul '12) Mar '15 ANRReal 11
News Stunning photos show inside of customized Boein... Feb '15 hermansa 1
News Tanya Rider's long, winding road to health and ... (Mar '11) Feb '15 bitcoin5 19
need a mailman 3usd per lb. seattle Feb '15 bitcoin5 1
More from around the web

First Hill People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]