Letters: MPUSD flunks in priorities

Letters: MPUSD flunks in priorities

There are 72 comments on the Monterey County Herald story from Oct 12, 2010, titled Letters: MPUSD flunks in priorities. In it, Monterey County Herald reports that:

Carmel High School offers 14 advanced placement courses. Pacific Grove High and Salinas High both offer 10, while Everett Alvarez, Alisal and North Salinas High offer nine, eight and seven, respectively.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Monterey County Herald.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Charles

Monterey, CA

#1 Oct 12, 2010
It won't be long before the MAOS folks start to bail out and the La Mesa and Bayview parents vote with their feet right to charter schools and homeschooling

What will the API scores look like for those who remain?
Golfer

Monterey, CA

#2 Oct 12, 2010
I like to play golf in PG. Why not have a another $90 Parcel Tax on every PG home so that I can have free golf.
Patriot

Monterey, CA

#3 Oct 12, 2010
Bob Fett's letter is the first lucid thing I have ever seen him write.
Hoping

Monterey, CA

#4 Oct 12, 2010
You nailed it Jerome! But to present the district's side on the middle school science and math thing--- they say that even though the kids get only half a year of science and math the district has provided the English and Math teachers with specialized training so they can incorporate the science and history standards into their math and english lessons.

According to Associate Superintendent Yater(?) at least, who seems like a nice enough lady to be fair. Howvere it would be nice to hear from from MS teachers to see how the training went and how that plan is working out after one quarter of school already finished
Housepoor

Monterey, CA

#5 Oct 12, 2010
So Charles if I "bail out" of MAOS where exactly do I send my kids, York? Get real

Since: Sep 09

Salinas, CA

#6 Oct 12, 2010
WHAT I HAVE NEVER UNDERSTOOD ABOUT HIGH SCHOOL CURRICULUMS

Over 40 years ago I was a high school student who was also a very mediocre student. I was FORCED to take algebra and geometry. What sense did/does that make. I did not enjoy the classes, nor did I learn ANYTHING that has helped me in my life. Why not make these classes ELECTIVE classes. For those who want/need them, our schools should offer them to the students/parents in high school that want them offered. Otherwise, let us focus on a GREAT general education of basic math and English. If students go to junior college, and then discover they want/need these classes, then let us offer these classes to them at that time.
AP Watcher

Beverly Hills, CA

#7 Oct 12, 2010
Here are the 30 possible tests:
* Art History
* Biology
* Calculus AB
* Calculus BC
* Chemistry
* Chinese Language and Culture
* Computer Science A
* Macroeconomics
* Microeconomics
* English Language
* English Literature
* Environmental Science
* European History
* French Language
* German Language
* Comp Government & Politics
* U.S. Government & Politics
* Human Geography
* Japanese Language and Culture
* Latin: Vergil
* Music Theory
* Physics B
* Physics C
* Psychology
* Spanish Language
* Spanish Literature
* Statistics
* Studio Art
* U.S. History
* World History

Jerome, can you please tell us which school offers what?
Housepoor

Monterey, CA

#8 Oct 12, 2010
Mr. Robertoen I think you make a good point about everyone not needing to take Algebra and Geometry and the schools shouldoffer curriculum for kids who don't want to go that route. Right now they are mandatory along with Biology to graduate. This peninsula is FILLED with Monterey and Seaside high grads who never took Geomtry, Algebra, and Biology they took General Math Personal Finance and Life Science and Physical Science. They all have diplomas and they are living their life just fine.
The public does not understand that the requirements have changed. Many of the kids have no hope and are just being passed along.
Now on the other hand forrtunately we have some kids with the desire and ability to go to places like Stanford, UCLA, Princeton, Michigan. We need them. They become engineers and oncologists and dentists. If our schools don't offer those kids the classes THEY need, then where are we?
SOLUTION: our high schools should be comprehensive high schools like they have been for 100 years--work experience and trade/technical training for those who want it, a good basic education in fundamental math and english for those who want only that, and advanced challenging courses for the 15% or so who desire a four year college and a profession.
It's not that hard-we have experience in doing it but the No Child Left Behind law and the ultra-liberal education philosophy of state edofficials is bringing EVERYONE down.
SLY FOX

Bellingham, WA

#9 Oct 12, 2010
Patriot wrote:
Bob Fett's letter is the first lucid thing I have ever seen him write.
Wonders never cease!!

Well they the definition of a Conservative is a Democrat that has been mugged.
Outraged

Salinas, CA

#10 Oct 12, 2010
Hoping wrote:
You nailed it Jerome! But to present the district's side on the middle school science and math thing--- they say that even though the kids get only half a year of science and math the district has provided the English and Math teachers with specialized training so they can incorporate the science and history standards into their math and english lessons.
According to Associate Superintendent Yater(?) at least, who seems like a nice enough lady to be fair. Howvere it would be nice to hear from from MS teachers to see how the training went and how that plan is working out after one quarter of school already finished
WITH ALL DUE RESPECT.
Ms. Yeater moved from North Monterey County to take the position of assistant superintendent. She moved to Carmel so her children could go to Carmel schools, so great was her faith in MPUSD!
Colton teachers got a whole day of extra training to offset the split year of science and social studies. The best science teacher in the district, used to teach at Colton. He was moved to Marina High this year. Colton 8th graders had the highest science scores across the district and some of the highest in the county in the 2010 star test. Now you move the teacher and dum down the core to 50%. And then you ask, why are parents moving out of MPUSD? Why have all the private schools seen an increase in applications from former MPUSD parents? THESE are the reasons why! And many, many more besides that would take days to report. Get informed. Talk to teachers who are unhappy. Talk to parents who are unhappy. Trying to incorporate extra subject matter in to Math and English on a daily basis? PLEASE!
Outraged

Salinas, CA

#11 Oct 12, 2010
robertoen wrote:
Over 40 years ago I was a high school student who was also a very mediocre student. I was FORCED to take algebra and geometry. What sense did/does that make. I did not enjoy the classes, nor did I learn ANYTHING that has helped me in my life. Why not make these classes ELECTIVE classes. For those who want/need them, our schools should offer them to the students/parents in high school that want them offered. Otherwise, let us focus on a GREAT general education of basic math and English. If students go to junior college, and then discover they want/need these classes, then let us offer these classes to them at that time.
But we do not offer any flexibility with classes and that is a major problem. We are teaching to the lowest child. How inspiring is that?
Wake up

Salinas, CA

#12 Oct 12, 2010
THANK YOU JEROME!
George Crisel

Salinas, CA

#13 Oct 12, 2010
Government needs to learn that in the real world a balanced budget brings down the spending to meet the income. It does not keep bringing up the taxes and fees to match the spending. Learn to live within your means, please.
Charles

Monterey, CA

#14 Oct 12, 2010
Hey Outraged: you say there are many many more things to report but it would take days. I suggest you get busy and start telling us because it looks like there are about 20 days left to the vote and people need to hear what is going on. People are reading these posts and talking about them. There is a Special Closed Session of the School Board next week and you can be sure they will be pulling out all the tricks and lies to make a final push to scam the public. Jerome was awesome today-too bad each day someone can't get the truth in there.
Please start talking and encourage more too. I want to hear more of that funny Lady Madonna and less of that pompous Ivan dude!
Gates

Salinas, CA

#15 Oct 12, 2010
robertoen wrote:
If junior college is success to you im amazed you could even spell elective, I'm sorry that not everyone wants to fail at life and that makes your world a little tougher.
Housepoor

Monterey, CA

#16 Oct 12, 2010
Mr. Gates-why do you have to be mean like that. The man was just trying to make a contributuion to the conversation.
Koban

Monterey, CA

#17 Oct 12, 2010
AP Watcher wrote:
Here are the 30 possible tests:
* Art History
* Biology
* Calculus AB
* Calculus BC
* Chemistry
* Chinese Language and Culture
* Computer Science A
* Macroeconomics
* Microeconomics
* English Language
* English Literature
* Environmental Science
* European History
* French Language
* German Language
* Comp Government & Politics
* U.S. Government & Politics
* Human Geography
* Japanese Language and Culture
* Latin: Vergil
* Music Theory
* Physics B
* Physics C
* Psychology
* Spanish Language
* Spanish Literature
* Statistics
* Studio Art
* U.S. History
* World History
Jerome, can you please tell us which school offers what?
I was a Seaside High School student during the early 90s. I may not be 100% correct, but from what I remember without actually looking back at my transcript, they offered AP classes for the following:

* Biology
* Calculus
* Chemistry
* Computer Science
* English
* Physics
* Spanish
* History (U.S. History I believe)

From what I can recall, our overall pass rate for AP tests was awful back then. For some of those classes, there was a very strong emphasis on taking the AP test. For most, however, there was not. There were also ludicrous scheduling conflicts, such as AP Spanish conflicting with Computer Science for example. AP Biology also conflicted with one of the other AP classes. However, if it's true that SHS basically cut their AP classes in half, then that is just plain sad. Potentially gifted students are clearly being held back as they are forced to compete with students from other districts who are loading AP classes their entire Junior and Senior years, and sometimes even Sophomore year as well.
Kevin

Seaside, CA

#18 Oct 12, 2010
Outraged wrote:
<quoted text>
Ms. Yeater moved from North Monterey County to take the position of assistant superintendent. She moved to Carmel so her children could go to Carmel schools, so great was her faith in MPUSD!
That's funny, I also hear quite a few Monterey residents that are "higher ups" in MPUSD send their kids to RLS, Catalina, York, and Palma/Notre Dame. I guess they've realized how bad it is for quite a while. I wonder what the real numbers are.
Cleaner

Folsom, CA

#19 Oct 12, 2010
Kevin wrote:
<quoted text>
That's funny, I also hear quite a few Monterey residents that are "higher ups" in MPUSD send their kids to RLS, Catalina, York, and Palma/Notre Dame. I guess they've realized how bad it is for quite a while. I wonder what the real numbers are.
I would love to know that statistic as well.
Jim

Carmel Valley, CA

#20 Oct 13, 2010
Here is an excerpt of Shepherd's August 26th "Press Release" entitled "What's Right With MPUSD" which is posted on the District website.
It is not intended to be a parody! A "professional" PR person, earning enough from the district budget to pay for art supplies for all the elementary classrooms for the whole year, produced this blather which is not worthy of a middle school newspaper.

“Bay View had a great opening day and staff was very thankful it was a collaborative day. This is a very
special year for Bay View, one of celebrations,” says Jone Amador, Principal at Bay View Elementary
School in Monterey.
“This school year at Seaside High has started off great. When I learned I would be transferring here
from Monterey High I must admit I had some fears about how the transition would be handled. All
those fears are long gone thanks to the welcome I received from the SHS Administration, the staff and
the students. We all know there will be changes, but I know this was for all the right reasons and
ultimately it’s about our students,” says Pete Tarantino who recently moved from Monterey High
School to Seaside High School.
Feedback from students was also positive.“My school has improved from last year because there are
more people to help. I love King School because it rocks!” says a fourth grader from King Elementary.
This sort of feedback from students, teachers and parents did not come as an accident. This was a
product of months of careful strategic planning and preparation by District administrators, support staff
and school administrators.
“My administration has always been committed to ensuring that our youth receive the best educational
experience possible,” says Dr. Marilyn Shepherd, Superintendent of MPUSD

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Seaside Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looking to buy... 40 min Audrina 1
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) Apr 29 Zionism is racism 72,025
News Pacific Grove swears in new city manager, exami... Apr 26 Lucy Anne 1
News HBO's 'Big Little Lies' starring Nicole Kidman ... Apr 26 Julie Jane 1
News Environmental groups now back revised Carmel Ri... Apr 26 Julie Jane 1
News Monterey native Rachel Roy: I'm not 'Becky with... Apr 26 Julie Jane 1
News HBO's 'Big Little Lies' starring Nicole Kidman ... Apr 26 Julie Jane 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Seaside Mortgages