Not Byrl Smith for Supervisor

Not Byrl Smith for Supervisor

Posted in the Seaside Forum

Since: Sep 09

Soledad, CA

#1 May 3, 2012
PLEASE...follow this link to watch the first debate for District 4, Monterey County Supervisor - which was hosted by Marina in Motion (under categories, special events, 4th supervisor)

http://www.ampmedia.org/

Soledad, CA

#2 May 4, 2012
During the Marina in Motion debate, Ms. Smith appeared "clueless" regarding the issue of "fracking" - a topic which could be of major concern (earthquake activity, water quality)to many voters in South Monterey County.

Also, please take the time to read the following article:

http://www.montereycountyweekly.com/news/2011...

Soledad, CA

#3 May 5, 2012
Jane Parker has earned re-election as supervisor

10:16 PM, Apr. 10, 2012 - SALINAS CALIFORNIAN letter to the editor

I've monitored supervisor actions for years and, together with other community advocates, successfully fought decisions harmful to neighborhoods across the county. So I've witnessed the courage of citizens willing to fight terrible policy. And I can tell a good supervisor from a self-serving one.
Jane Parker is the best supervisor on the board, as proven by her vote to protect her constituents from the flawed desalination water purchase agreement. What happened? The claimed "experienced leadership" of the other four created a disaster for the county.
Now Parker's election opponent claims Jane's decision against that scam shows Parker only votes "no." Apparently, Byrl Smith would have approved that project that failed on ALL management, financial, business, legal, sustainability and common sense aspects while squandering millions of taxpayer dollars.
What about the Whispering Oaks bus maintenance yard? Jane Parker supported the referendum that prevented that bad project from cutting coastal access to the Jerry Smith Recreation Trail and to the proposed Soldiers National Monument. Ms. Smith, who claims she has a "vision for the county," was missing in action.
Seaside, Marina and Salinas deserve a supervisor who will protect the voters' best interests. You have one with Jane Parker. Please re-elect her.

Ed Mitchell
Prunedale

Soledad, CA

#4 May 6, 2012
The Monterey County Herald
(letters to the editor)

Posted: 05/05/2012 09:08:38 PM PDT
Updated: 05/05/2012 09:08:39 PM PDT

Parker's vote on MST site saved trees

In response to the letter by Ranae Martin regarding Supervisor Jane Parker's "vote against jobs," I'd like to point out that her vote did not impact the jobs at Monterey-Salinas Transit at all. She simply made the choice for the transit center to move to a less destructive site.

Parker's decision saved more than 3,000 oak trees that are several decades old, as well as animals living in the ecosystem. Fort Ord is a precious area, one of the few remaining undeveloped wildlands in the Monterey area. What impression would a business park at the CSU Monterey Bay entrance of Fort Ord make on the hundreds of cyclists, hikers and horseback riders who come to explore the 86 miles of public trails at the fort?

MST can relocate. The trees and animals living at the site cannot.

Nils Franco

Marina
robertoen

Soledad, CA

#5 May 7, 2012
LETTER TO THE EDITOR
Monterey Herald
5-6-12
Re-elect Jane Parker
Byrl Smith seems to be a one-note candidate. Her campaign boils down to "vote for me because I'll get that horse racetrack built." The only justification she gives for the project is "jobs." As important as that is, there are other considerations. We must first determine whether a racetrack is an appropriate use of the proposed site, a question that is at the heart of any land-use decision.
There's more to being a county supervisor than getting a pet project built. The job requires a working knowledge of planning, infrastructure, water, transportation, recreation, environmental protection, economics, public safety, and how they affect each other. It requires understanding constituents' diverse, often conflicting desires and needs, coupled with an ability to balance and respect everyone's concerns before drawing conclusions.
Jane Parker has demonstrated competence in each of these areas, more so than any other supervisor in recent memory. She deserves to be re-elected.
James B. Toy
Seaside

Soledad, CA

#6 May 8, 2012
LETTER TO THE EDITOR
Monterey County Herald
5-8-12

Jane Parker deserves to be re-elected

Being concerned about a pending land-use decision, I attended eight Board of Supervisors meetings in Salinas this past year. It was an eye-opening experience.

Given that the agenda is available to all scheduled meetings, I expected that members of the board would be prepared, knowledgeable of the issues under consideration and attentive to the concerns of the citizens who made the effort to attend and offer input.

Sadly, that was clearly not the case for the majority of the supervisors who routinely appeared distracted, disinterested and uninformed. The notable exception was Jane Parker, who was consistently well prepared and had pertinent questions for speakers on both sides of every issue. Moreover, when speakers expressed their views, Jane had the courtesy to look them in the eye and stay focused on points they were making.

That allowed her to respond with comments and questions that were relevant to the speaker's presentation and which helped to move the discussion and decision process forward.

She is clearly the kind of representative we need if our representative form of government is to function effectively. I strongly urge the voters in District 4 to re-elect Jane Parker.

Joan Wood
Corral de Tierra

Soledad, CA

#7 May 9, 2012

Soledad, CA

#8 May 9, 2012
LETTER TO THE EDITOR
Monterey County Herald
5-9-12

Allow Jane Parker to continue to serve

My husband and I watched the debate between Jane Parker and Byrl Smith and it confirmed our belief that Parker should continue to be our 4th District supervisor. Please see www.ampmedia.org and watch for yourself. On the website, go to Categories/Special Events/4th District Supervisor Debate.

We found it striking that Byrl Smith appeared not to be aware of several issues that would confront her if elected.

Moreover, she could not articulate thoughtful answers to issues that she was acquainted with. Her performance leads us to doubt her ability to offer solid solutions to the problems confronting the 4th District. Smith's tone came across as negative and condescending..

In contrast, Jane Parker remained pleasant and positive throughout. It was evident to us that she did her homework and her debate performance was exemplary.

For instance, she indicated she seeks high-quality jobs for our area and demonstrated how she is working to bring them here.

Jane is aware that continued development is inevitable in our area, yet wants growth to be planned to benefit the entire community, not just a few companies. As supervisor, she has done a great job and should be allowed to continue.

Kerry Smith and Jamie Dagdigian

Marina

Soledad, CA

#9 May 10, 2012
LETTER TO THE EDITOR
Salinas Californian
5-9-12

Parker is the more informed candidate

Those supporting Bryl Smith for Supervisor because she supports the Monterey Downs project would be disappointed if she is elected when she has to recuse herself from voting on the project.

Supervisors sit as a quasi-judicial body when considering land use entitlements such as the Monterey Downs project, and they jeopardize their right to vote on a project if they state their position prior to hearing the evidence through the public hearing process. It seems Ms. Smith needs to take a class†on ethics.

I hope Jane Parker wins re-election. In additional to being ethical, she is much more well-informed than Bryl appears to be.

Janet Lewis

Seaside
Dem Fool Aide Drinkers

AOL

#10 May 10, 2012
Smith is black. All those in MoCo who voted for Obama to prove they weren't racists will vote to put Smith in office to prove, once again, they are not racists. It worked for Obama, it will work for her. In fact, it already did work for her once.

Sorry Jane, you may be the best choice, but sadly, you are are white, so, you loose...
robertoen

Soledad, CA

#11 May 11, 2012
LETTER TO THE EDITOR
Monterey Herald
5-10-12

Smith already has her agenda

During the District 4 supervisorial debate held in Marina on May 1, Byrl Smith harshly derided incumbent Jane Parker for her leadership vote rejecting the ill-fated Whispering Oaks project. Smith stubbornly insisted she would approve it today and the woodlands site was still an excellent choice.

Smith seems to have overlooked that not just Parker, but 18,000 registered county voters, rejected the project via a referendum. Small detail: The majority of the registered voters who qualified the referendum reside in District 4.

Smith's comments satisfied developers in the room, but they won't help her on election day. The Whispering Oaks referendum was one of the most significant citizen-led efforts in recent years representing the public process and the voice of the people.

The message from the Smith campaign is that this voice doesn't matter. Because she has a pre-set agenda to pursue, Smith seems satisfied with ignoring the voice of the people she hopes to represent.

Additionally, Smith is shamelessly promoting Monterey Downs in advance of formal review. This won't go over well with thousands of District 4 voters already averse to destructive, poorly-planned projects on Fort Ord.

Michael Salerno

Marina
HowNowMonterey

Salinas, CA

#12 May 16, 2012
"Clueless" is the one word that seems to best describe Byrl Smith. I;m sure she is a nice person, but her worst enemy must have put her up to run for a supervisor's seat. She not only does not know the answers to any questions asked of her, she seems not to be familiar with the questions. When asked abour PERS pension liabilities for the county, she answered by saying she received a combined PERS pension from her deceased husband's state (corrections) and county (supe) service and thought PERS was "wonderful." When not reading pre-scripted slogan driven campaign rhetoric, she seemed unable to string together complete sentences when attempting to answer questions-in either of the two forums.
Ironic, isn't it, that the politically appointed (by Nancy Kotowski, who indulged herself for many years in an affair with an ordained catholic priest)"president of the MOCO Board of Education" does not even hold a college degree-from any institution. Unfortunatey, when she tries to answer simple direct questions about policy, it shows.

Soledad, CA

#13 May 21, 2012
Byrl Smith has FAILED to prepare herself with the basic knowledge that would enable voters to consider her for the position of county supervisor.

http://www.montereyherald.com/ci_20632437/roy...

Soledad, CA

#14 May 24, 2012
Byrl Smith NOT ENDORSED by Monterey Herald

http://www.montereyherald.com/local/ci_206183...

Byrl Smith NOT ENDORSED by Salinas Californian

http://www.thecalifornian.com/article/2012052...

Byrl Smith NOT ENDORSED by Monterey County Weekly

http://www.montereycountyweekly.com/news/2012...

Soledad, CA

#15 May 24, 2012
Byrl Smith NOT ENDORSED by Monterey Herald

(I apologize...this is in fact the correct endorsement story from the Monterey Herald)

http://www.montereyherald.com/ci_20552343/jan...
Candy Owen

Marina, CA

#16 May 24, 2012
I am again saddened by the folks who are seemingly puppeteering Byrl Smith. There were two separate opinion pieces today: a letter in the Monterey County Weekly signed Byrl Smith, and an editorial that says it was co-authored by Byrl Smith and Marina Councilwoman, Nancy Amadeo. Read both, and you decide. Either Byrl Smith has suddenly gone from vague and uneducated to astute and well- versed about the important issues facing District 4 and Monterey County, or, in my opinion, she has again consented to allowing her campaign to grind out words that are not hers. This will only continue if she is elected. Do you want to elect a person who will be commandeered by those who have participated in a disgraceful political campaign? I am so disheartened.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Seaside Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
where can I find heroin in monterey? (Oct '14) Tue Sickandtarred 126
who is the best hung man in Carmel Jun 18 Republicana 1
News Police briefs: Beaten body found on Old Stage Road (Dec '09) May 28 Oreo 16
News Ask the Auto Doctor (Mar '06) May '17 RichAndrewd 1,553
Marina infested with gang boys (Mar '11) May '17 NorteXIVgang 18
News Seaside closes access to makeshift toy car trac... Apr '17 Jsherratt831 1
News Brown names Laird as Resource Agency chief (Jan '11) Apr '17 wmcnatt 8

Seaside Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Seaside Mortgages