Rants & Raves

Full story: Monterey County Herald

RANT : The Republicans say one of their big problems with last year's health care legislation was that it was complicated and rushed.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of28
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Ron the wise

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jan 9, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

Royal Rant, why did you criticize the republicans for not being open now on the healthcare repeal movement but not criticize the democrats then, when they tried to sneak through without transparency a bankrupt healthcare plan about a year ago?

Royal, Rant, why do you see that it is right to have a biased headline stating GOP judge makes a decision against Obamas healthcare plan but not recognize that a Gay judge ruled against proposition 8 and that the word gay was not used by the Herald as a headline? The biased headline in both cases would not be appropriate in my opinion.
It is your biased and unfair opinions and total hypocrisy that bothers me. Why dont you criticize the Herald when they clearly show unfair biases in their headlines?
Royal Calkins

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jan 9, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Ron: If a heterosexual judge rules for Prop 8, should the headline reflect his/her sexual orientation?
Ron the wise

Seaside, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jan 9, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Royal, You have just proved my point. The words GOP, heterosexual, and gay used in the headlines before the word judge emphasizes a meaning that tries to discredit the ruling because it assumes, the judge ruled that way because he is a republican, or heterosexual or gay. Those words should be in the article if the reporter wants to put them in there. But putting them before the word judge in the headline is the reporter or newspaper making a statement about the case because it emphasizes those words. "Judge rules against Obamacare or judge rules against prop 8" is appropriate and then one could put in the article he is a republican appointee or he is gay than the reader could judge for himself the importance of the information.
Ron the wise

Seaside, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jan 9, 2011
 

Judged:

1

Royal, One more thing, "Democratic Party Judge rules in favor or against some case" is an inappropriate headline also. Putting the words Democratic Party in the headline creates a bias against the ruling at the outset because it emphasizes the party affiliation over the ruling and insinuates that the judge ruled that way because he is a democrat. That info should be in the article if the reporter deems it necessary but not in the headline.

Since: Mar 09

Monterey Peninsula, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jan 9, 2011
 
Ron the wise wrote:
Royal, You have just proved my point. The words GOP, heterosexual, and gay used in the headlines before the word judge emphasizes a meaning that tries to discredit the ruling because it assumes, the judge ruled that way because he is a republican, or heterosexual or gay. Those words should be in the article if the reporter wants to put them in there. But putting them before the word judge in the headline is the reporter or newspaper making a statement about the case because it emphasizes those words. "Judge rules against Obamacare or judge rules against prop 8" is appropriate and then one could put in the article he is a republican appointee or he is gay than the reader could judge for himself the importance of the information.
I usually think Ron the Wise is nuts, but in this case I agree with him wholeheartedly. The sexual orientation, political registration, religion, race, or personal habits of a judge are not relevant because, unlike the other branches of government, Judicial offices are officially non-partisan. The only thing that counts is whether the legal reasoning stands up to scrutiny.

-Mr. Toy
www.montereypeninsula.info

Since: Mar 09

Monterey Peninsula, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jan 9, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Ron the wise wrote:
Royal Rant, why did you criticize the republicans for not being open now on the healthcare repeal movement but not criticize the democrats then, when they tried to sneak through without transparency a bankrupt healthcare plan about a year ago?
And this is where I go back to saying Ron the Wise is nuts. There was nothing sneaky about the health care bill. Its provisions were discussed openly in the news media. The only deviousness was on the part of many Republicans, like Sarah Palin, who twisted words until perfectly reasonable provisions sound like things to fear. Thus "end of life counseling" became "death panels" and popular regulations on health insurance companies (like not being able to drop you when you get sick and no denial of coverage for preexisting conditions) were branded as "government run health care." I understood the bill before it was passed. But I was paying attention to the details, not the distracting rants of a few frightened rabids.

-Mr. Toy
www.montereypeninsula.info
Ron the wise

Seaside, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jan 9, 2011
 
Mr. Toy, It is odd that you agree with me on the headline bias but consider me nuts about other things. You have no idea for how long I have tried to make the Herald become more fair and balanced. I believe that both liberal and conservative opinions should be offered in the Herald but the problem is that for the last three years especially around the presidential election time, almost exclusively liberal articles were printed and liberal cartoons were chosen for the newspaper. It was totally unfair and not serving the interest of the readers of the County. Am I nuts for wanting our community newspaper to be fair and balanced? I believe not.
Ron the wise

Seaside, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jan 9, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

Mr. Toy, Mr. Toy, just who is nuts about the death panels. Do you understand that under the dems plans for healthcare, doctors would be given payments to give advice about healthcare treatments and advice that would aim to steer people away from life saving operations and and treatments. Speaking of biases and possible corrupt decision making.

It is too bad that you believe in the phony healthcare plans that removed the 252 billion dollar doctor fix because it did not fit into the dems figures to keep the price of the insane plans under their phony cost estimates. The doctor fix billions are absolutely necessary to pay for the plans among other expenses that the dems tried to hide in it.
Ron the wise

Seaside, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jan 9, 2011
 
Mr. Toy, The dems took the doctor fix of 252 billion dollars out of the original bill because they tried to make it look like their health care plans was cheaper than it actually was. Then they separately tried to pass the doctor fix in another bill and it did not pass. This is a fact. And you can not deny it. It was deceitful and dangerous to our economy.

Since: Mar 09

Monterey Peninsula, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jan 10, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Ron the wise wrote:
Mr. Toy, Mr. Toy, just who is nuts about the death panels. Do you understand that under the dems plans for healthcare, doctors would be given payments to give advice about healthcare treatments and advice that would aim to steer people away from life saving operations and and treatments. Speaking of biases and possible corrupt decision making.
Your phrase "doctors would be given payments to give advice...to steer people away from life saving operations and treatments" just twists a simple idea into something sinister. What it would have done (the provision was actually REMOVED from the final health care bill) was cover consultations between patients and doctors about what to do if one was NOT expected to survive an illness.

People have these discussions with their doctors already, it is (and would be under the bill) a completely VOLUNTARY discussion, about whether the patient would want costly "heroic" measures taken to prolong their lives if they could not communicate their wishes at the time. The alternative is letting relatives agonize over whether to keep Grandma on feeding tubes and respirators indefinitely in the hope she might recover, or let her slip away peacefully.

Ideally, the individual would make this decision beforehand, and not leave it to the relatives to second guess their wishes. What on Earth is wrong with having insurance cover the doctor's visit to help the person decide? Nobody will be forced to do anything against their will, but since modern medicine is now capable of keeping bodies "alive" even when they can no longer do even the simplest tasks, like speak, eat or poop, it is a good idea to know what the individual would want before the time arrives.

-Mr. Toy
www.montereypeninsula.info

Since: Mar 09

Monterey Peninsula, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jan 10, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Ron the wise wrote:
Mr. Toy, It is odd that you agree with me on the headline bias but consider me nuts about other things. You have no idea for how long I have tried to make the Herald become more fair and balanced. I believe that both liberal and conservative opinions should be offered in the Herald but the problem is that for the last three years especially around the presidential election time, almost exclusively liberal articles were printed and liberal cartoons were chosen for the newspaper. It was totally unfair and not serving the interest of the readers of the County. Am I nuts for wanting our community newspaper to be fair and balanced? I believe not.
Yes and no. By its own admission the Herald's opinion page is the most widely read. Yet in the last 15 years or so the Op-Ed space has gradually shrunk from 13 pages a week to 7 pages a week. They used to have two full pages Mon-Fri and three on Sun (none Saturday). Then during the bean counting years of Scripps-Howard and Knight-Ridder (when the Herald was really, truly HORRIBLE) they reduced Sunday to two pages, then one, and every other day of the week to one page.(Scripps-Howard added one op-ed page on Saturday and boasted they were expanding editorial content even though the overall number of pages per week was reduced!)

Before all these cutbacks, there was a wide variety of opinion columnists. I think the Herald should go back to two pages a day to make room for a wider variety of opinion writers. I think it would attract more subscribers, but since I'm not the one minding their budget, I can't determine what they can afford to do. It might help if they devoted every square inch they do have to substantive issues, and moved the lightweight stuff like Robs Rules of Order to the social pages.

However, you shouldn't necessarily expect the opinion page to reflect YOUR viewpoint. It is by definition a page set aside for the newspaper editors to express THEIR opinions, with additional space for readers to express theirs. If the editors want to print a higher percentage of columns and cartoons that reflect their viewpoint, that's their business. Literally, it's THEIR business! Paul Miller at the Pine Cone doesn't print any liberal opinions, but I'm not trying to make him print anything different. Sometimes I call his editorial page the "whine cone" for his constant whining about the left, yet I still enjoy reading that paper.

in short, you're never going to "make the Herald more fair and balanced." Especially since you seem to have set yourself up as the sole judge of what is fair and balanced. I suspect reader bias is as much a factor here as editorial bias.

-Mr. Toy
www.montereypeninsula.info
Ron the wise

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jan 10, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Mr. Toy The doctor fix component by itself makes Obamacare manipulative, bankruptable, and extremely inefficient because you have to add 252 billion dollars to the cost of his healthcare plan.. The doctors in the end of life advice will be given money for giving that advice to cut down on costs for healthcare. A bureaucrat, in the end, will make decisions on who gets what care. The dems have tried to sneak it in again just recently. Mr Toy, your not paying attention and your liberal bias makes you closed minded. I vote strictly on policy and am proud to be a registered nopatisan.
As to the Herald editorial page, I pointed out to Royal that after the presidential and vice presidential debates, there was mostly articles and cartoons that favored the left and those candidates. I wanted to see articles on both sides, so that I and every reader could make up his or her mind. I do not want the Herald to show one sided opinions as you say. You just do not get it that I want both sides represented fairly. I have stated that always.
Mr. Toy, it is par for the course for liberals like yourself to label someone nuts because that person does not believe in your close minded and leftist ideas. We may disagree on policies but I back up my beliefs with facts.
The black panther intimidation case, that liberals are in denial of, my opinions are backed up by the transcripts of the civil rights commission hearings on them, and my direct speaking to lawyers of the commission in Washington D.C. and yet narrow minded liberals like you call me nuts.
One more thing on Obamacare, the dems insisted that with Obamacare, our premiums would go down. It was obvious to any third grader and above that if you add pre existing conditon wavers and force insurance companies to insure 30 to 50 million people to the coverages that the costs would go up. Mr, Toy your naive attitudes of social healthcare by ignoring that Obama and his socialist cronies want insurance premiums to go sky high so that companies and individuals drop their private insurance forcing insurance companies to go out of business and we have only a government choice like in England and Canada. Close minded people like you will not admit it but people on the political fence need to decide who is right.
Royal Calkins admitted to me that the opinion page does not have to be fair and balanced. And what gives you the right to say your opinion is more right then mine. I am basing my judgement of the Herald just like you do. You do not want me to have opinions or I have to agree with your narrow mindedness. No WAY Jose.
``
Ron the wise

Monterey, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jan 10, 2011
 
Mr. Toy, as far as the opinion page and the rest of the Herald, I complained about the article selections being more liberal and the headlines being misleading to favor the left more than speaking of opinion letters. Royal did not print the first letter to the editor that I wrote, after speaking to him, criticizing him and the Herald for being one sided. One has to take Royal at his word on other letters that others have sent as to whether he dismisses them or not. In Royals favor, he has printed all my letters since and even printed my guest commentary on the tea party.
Ron the wise

Salinas, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jan 10, 2011
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Mr. Toy, So I can not have an opinion to feel what is fair and balanced to you. You want to set the rules on what my opinions should be. Thats womderful that you can play God. So to you that I express my opinions and you lamely say that I believe I should be the sole judge of fair and balance. How lame and totally unfair of you. That is like me saying, Mr Toy you have opinions on Healthcare and put yourself as the sole person to make the judgment on Hearlthcare. Opionions are not exclusive to you. And you have a right to your opinions not to your own facts. Facts are facts that can be substantiated.

Since: Mar 09

Monterey Peninsula, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jan 10, 2011
 
Ron the wise wrote:
Mr. Toy, So I can not have an opinion to feel what is fair and balanced to you. You want to set the rules on what my opinions should be.
You're entitled to your opinions, and you are free to share them here.

What you are not entitled to, nor am I for that matter, is to decide what the Herald should print on its editorial page.

-Mr. Toy
www.montereypeninsula.info

Since: Mar 09

Monterey Peninsula, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jan 10, 2011
 
Ron the wise wrote:
Mr. Toy, it is par for the course for liberals like yourself to label someone nuts because that person does not believe in your close minded and leftist ideas.
On this forum it is par for the course for right-wingers like yourself to label me in far worse fashion than nuts. I've been called a moron, a liar, and a "liberal puke." Evidently you can dish it out but you can't take it. When I wrote that I figured turnabout was fair play, but I've since reconsidered and realized that an insult for an insult doesn't set things right. Sorry, it shouldn't happen again.

Liberals have branded me a right-wing Christian fanatic for defending the cross on Del Monte Beach and for arguing that courts limiting religious expression to private property is a violation of First Amendment rights to free speech and free exercise of religion.

I must be doing something right since both sides attack me.

-Mr. Toy
www.montereypeninsula.info
Toast

Seaside, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jan 10, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

MrToy wrote:
<quoted text>
On this forum it is par for the course for right-wingers like yourself to label me in far worse fashion than nuts. I've been called a moron, a liar, and a "liberal puke." Evidently you can dish it out but you can't take it. When I wrote that I figured turnabout was fair play, but I've since reconsidered and realized that an insult for an insult doesn't set things right. Sorry, it shouldn't happen again.
Liberals have branded me a right-wing Christian fanatic for defending the cross on Del Monte Beach and for arguing that courts limiting religious expression to private property is a violation of First Amendment rights to free speech and free exercise of religion.
I must be doing something right since both sides attack me.
-Mr. Toy
www.montereypeninsula.info
I am a registered independent and I do not lean in any particular direction. On this interesting back and forth argument I have decided to cast my vote in favor of Mr Toy!
Ron the wise

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Jan 11, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Mr. Toy You still do not get it. You said that I consider myself as the sole judge as to what is fair and balanced on the Herald. That is unfair because I have an opinion that the Herald is not fair and balanced. Those are my opinions and I do not consider myself the sole judge of what is fair and balanced. I have a right to have that opinion without you laying that phony claim
mr. Toy, you are sometimes accurate on your opinions on Monterey Tripadvisor which I read everyday. We owned a motel on Fremont street for twenty years and was born in Monterey and have lived here for 59 and a half years. I know the tourism industry as well as anyone in Monterey. I am not bragging, it is true because I had to deal with tourism directly all those years.

I want you Mr. Toy to read all the transcripts on the black panther intimidation case at the civil rights commission hearings. I want you to read the direct words of the witnesses including DOJ lawyer Coates and the Whistle blower DOJ lawyer. I want you to read the direct testimony of liberal civil rights lawyer Bartle Bull and all the other witnesses. I want you to look at the videos of the two black panther members at the polling place in Philadelphia. Then, make a judgment on the case. I would be shocked if you came to any other conclusion than mine. The lame street press refused to cover the case and liberals deny that it happened to protect Holder and Obama. It is shameful.

As far as me being a right winger, I voted for Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton both times, and even voted for Al Gore, I do not believe homosexuality is a sin (because I do not feel it is a choice but a feeling), I want stronger gun control, and I want direct programs that get people out of homelessness and joblessness not phony intitlement handouts that do not work. It is true that my views on policy is evolving to a little to the right over a little to the left but I am not a strict conservative like you assume. Would I vote for Carter, Clinton, Gore now. Probably not. I challenge you Mr. Toy to investigate the Black Panther case Yourself, like I did.

Ron the wise

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jan 11, 2011
 
Toast, My feelings of the Herald started because I had listened to the presidential debates on television and wanted to see the pros and cons of both sides. Instead, all the articles of the debates were from a liberal point of view. I do not register myself as to the independent party because that is a party. I register myself as a non partisan which has no party affiliation. Toast, not only articles were left leaning during the debates but all the political cartoons slammed McCain, Bush, Palin and conservatives from left wing cartoonist Gary Trudeau and others. I had to read other newspapers to get both points of view on the debates so that I could make up my own mind.

When I talked to Royal Calkins about the opinion page, he told me that it did not need to be fair and balanced. So what does that mean, it could be unfair and unbalanced. I think not!!!
Toast

Seaside, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Jan 11, 2011
 
Ron the wise wrote:
Mr. Toy You still do not get it. You said that I consider myself as the sole judge as to what is fair and balanced on the Herald. That is unfair because I have an opinion that the Herald is not fair and balanced. Those are my opinions and I do not consider myself the sole judge of what is fair and balanced. I have a right to have that opinion without you laying that phony claim
mr. Toy, you are sometimes accurate on your opinions on Monterey Tripadvisor which I read everyday. We owned a motel on Fremont street for twenty years and was born in Monterey and have lived here for 59 and a half years. I know the tourism industry as well as anyone in Monterey. I am not bragging, it is true because I had to deal with tourism directly all those years.
I want you Mr. Toy to read all the transcripts on the black panther intimidation case at the civil rights commission hearings. I want you to read the direct words of the witnesses including DOJ lawyer Coates and the Whistle blower DOJ lawyer. I want you to read the direct testimony of liberal civil rights lawyer Bartle Bull and all the other witnesses. I want you to look at the videos of the two black panther members at the polling place in Philadelphia. Then, make a judgment on the case. I would be shocked if you came to any other conclusion than mine. The lame street press refused to cover the case and liberals deny that it happened to protect Holder and Obama. It is shameful.
As far as me being a right winger, I voted for Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton both times, and even voted for Al Gore, I do not believe homosexuality is a sin (because I do not feel it is a choice but a feeling), I want stronger gun control, and I want direct programs that get people out of homelessness and joblessness not phony intitlement handouts that do not work. It is true that my views on policy is evolving to a little to the right over a little to the left but I am not a strict conservative like you assume. Would I vote for Carter, Clinton, Gore now. Probably not. I challenge you Mr. Toy to investigate the Black Panther case Yourself, like I did.
Ron, perhaps you are a wise man after all!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of28
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Seaside Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Seaside People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Seaside News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Seaside
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••