Dr. Porter Rodgers House?
whatever

Haslet, TX

#44 Aug 11, 2012
wow wrote:
Wow where have I been? I've never heard any of this lol is it true? My mom used to tell stories about him but they were never bad. Wait maybe I'm thinking of dr Jackson? Was there a dr Jackson like 40 yrs ago that was nice? When did dr porter practice? I'm obviously confused lol
yes he did. There was a hospital named after him but it was like in the 60's and 70's!
Seven

Searcy, AR

#45 Aug 11, 2012
Did he kil her right in that pretty old house they tore down on Race Street?
i remember

United States

#46 Aug 11, 2012
Seven wrote:
Did he kil her right in that pretty old house they tore down on Race Street?
Yes. I was 10 when this all happened. My mother actually took my brother and I to the trial. It was a very planned out murder. The day I sat in court, Dr Rogers was directed to read a letter out loud that he had written to Peggy Jean Hale. At the very end of the letter he had written as soon as you read this, destroy the letter. Well, when read it out loud, he left off that part and the prosecuting attorney called his hand on it!!!!
Peter Sr. had met Peggy Jean Hale as a cocktail waitress at the country club and they started having an affair. And Peggy is the one that pulled the trigger.
i remember

United States

#47 Aug 11, 2012
*Porter
well

United States

#48 Aug 11, 2012
guest wrote:
He lives in LR and cares nothing about Searcy. Super wealthy. I read not long ago the city asked him to donate something and he said they could buy it. He'd donated enough. May be why he tore the house down. Didn't want to donate it. Just sayin
He actually does come to Searcy on occasion...had an apartment in town until not long ago. Since he doesn't primarily stay in Searcy, it was hard to keep an eye on the house. It was beautiful but needed a lot of work, as one would imagine. He didn't want to sell the house and it become a business, like offices or something. I think it was also hard to imagine someone else living in it. You're probably right about not wanting to donate...don't blame him. People here will make a spectacle out of anything, especially something that is private or painful for someone else.
guest12

Benton, AR

#49 Aug 11, 2012
Rumor has it Porter senior fathered a child before the murders took place with a different lover, and the child (now in 40s) lives in Searcy secretly hiding her true identity. I don't know if Porter Jr even knows she exists. She would be entitled to $$$.
Quite Interesting

Searcy, AR

#50 Aug 11, 2012
i remember wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. I was 10 when this all happened. My mother actually took my brother and I to the trial. It was a very planned out murder. The day I sat in court, Dr Rogers was directed to read a letter out loud that he had written to Peggy Jean Hale. At the very end of the letter he had written as soon as you read this, destroy the letter. Well, when read it out loud, he left off that part and the prosecuting attorney called his hand on it!!!!
Peter Sr. had met Peggy Jean Hale as a cocktail waitress at the country club and they started having an affair. And Peggy is the one that pulled the trigger.
Wow. Tell us more about the trial.
i remember

United States

#51 Aug 11, 2012
Quite Interesting wrote:
<quoted text>Wow. Tell us more about the trial.

You know, I wish I could...but I was just 10. I would love to see the newspaper articles from that time. I do remember them talking about the staircase...a lot and about her sitting in a chair. I just remember my mom telling us kids that we would be seeing history that day. Not sure how we managed to get in, it was a packed house...morning and afternoon.
i remember

United States

#52 Aug 11, 2012
I just went to Google and put in trial of Porter Rogers Sr and it came up.
It looks like there was a man hired to actually commit the murder named Kimbrall. Also she had gone to work for him as a receptionist....but I think that is after meeting at the Country club. They discussed marriage, but a divorce from Fern would be too expensive...therefore the murder plot was hatched. He and Hale also kept a diary if all their sexual encounters...he was proud of himself....he was 70...she was 21. Article said Ed Bethune was his lawyer.
Rodgers Murder Trial

Searcy, AR

#53 Aug 11, 2012
i remember wrote:
Article said Ed Bethune was his lawyer.
Who was the Prosecuting Attorney that convicted him?
i remember

United States

#54 Aug 12, 2012
Rodgers Murder Trial wrote:
<quoted text>Who was the Prosecuting Attorney that convicted him?
I don't know. I was wondering that as well.
Memories

Searcy, AR

#55 Aug 12, 2012
white county native wrote:
Yes I agree. It would be an interesting story to be reprinted. It was a tragic thing to gave happened to that family but it is part of Searcy history.
I was born in the old Porter Rogers Hospital. I hated to see it torn down as well. It had served as a haunted house a couple of yrs at Halloween just before it was torn down.
I remember that! It was so cool! It was all tattered and falling down and the stories of him made it even creepier. To a little girl that was pretty cool. I think I got scared and couldn't go all the way through but that is a childhood memorie I have never forgotten.
civic

Jacksonville, AR

#56 Aug 12, 2012
<quoted text>
Not 100% positive, but I believe the prosecutor of the case was Gene Raff, brother of Chris Raff.
Arthur Raff

Gladewater, TX

#57 Dec 18, 2013
<quoted text>
my Father Gene Raff was the prosecutor

Searcy, AR

#58 Dec 20, 2013
civic wrote:
<quoted text>
Not 100% positive, but I believe the prosecutor of the case was Gene Raff, brother of Chris Raff.
Correct.
looking back

San Antonio, TX

#59 Dec 20, 2013
the house was grand I hated to see it come down I do understand but I wished he would have given it to the WCHS it was part of the charm of downtown but I do understand how it would be hard for him
citizen of Searcy

Sherwood, AR

#60 Jan 2, 2014
[Barry Kimbrel shot her. Dr. Rodgers was a good man! He just got off on the wrong track and was side tracked by a 20 year old Peggy Hale. Dr. Rodgers use to walk way out in the country to treat people at their homes. The family did not deserve any of this and Fern Rodgers did not deserve to die. I loved the house and the energy or whatever is still there.

Little Rock, AR

#61 Jan 3, 2014
Where was the Porter Rogers Hospital located at?

Vilonia, AR

#62 Jan 3, 2014
Yes he was a good man.. Good at criminal activity.. A good doc at first then became bad doc.. Made lots of money.. The counterfeit kind.. Operating on the wrong parts etc.. Then murder.. Yup real good man..
history

Ward, AR

#63 Jan 3, 2014
Guest wrote:
Where was the Porter Rogers Hospital located at?
The old Rodgers hospital was located on Woodruff street.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Searcy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bald knob lake 43 min Club Kelly 6
Deep Thoughts with Kelly;))) 54 min Club Kelly 4
Girl on girl 1 hr Sir Poopalot 4
Bedbugs 1 hr Larry 3
THE movie - Gary Busey plays Trump 11 hr Call me Kelly 26
Charles Smith "CHILL" 13 hr Guests 12
Adam Patterson Narc 13 hr Guests 2

Searcy Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance