whats the legal age for a child to decide who he wants to live with?

Posted in the Searcy Forum

Comments
1 - 20 of 60 Comments Last updated Friday Jul 4
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
guest24

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2011

MY BOY IS 9, DOES HE HAVE TO GO TO HIS MOMS HOUSE IF HE DOESNT WANT TO, JUST DONT WANT TO GET N TROUBLE?
Lover

Searcy, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2011

Yes, he has to, and he has to like it.

Blackwood, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2011

Judged:

For custody he or she has to be 11 or 12 to make a choice but that's what I have been told in the past unless it's changed
Lover

Searcy, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2011

Judged:

All kidding aside, I think you are right.12 is the age that a child can decide who the want to live with, but I don't think that there is an option even if they are in the rears in child support.
sad to say

Searcy, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2011

Judged:

As long as there is a court order yes they have to go to the visitation. At 14 their opinion can influence the judge but not be the main deciding factor. Unless their is proof of the childs endangerment it is very hard to limit visitation. In Arkansas you have to be 18 before deciding where you want to live, with which parent. I learned all of this the hard and expensive way. (7,500.00 plus)

North Richland Hills, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2011

As of Feb 04 they have to be 16 yrs of age.That is what i was told from a relative going through a long custody battle.
Lawyer

Little Rock, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2011

Judged:

These people are stearing you in the wrong direction. In the State of Arkansas, a minor child CAN NOT "choose" which parent they want to live with. They can however give their opinion, through an attorney assigned to them by a judge, as to whom they desire to reside with. But the Judge ruling on the case will decide what is in the best interest of the child. This law is growing in popularity because the judges were seeing so many Children choosing the "popular" parent instead of the parent who is in the best interest of the child. Also, they were seeing too many parents compete for the child. In turn, the child is most times exposed to harmful lifestyles that affects them for the rest of their lives. This is also the reason you see more and more Fathers getting custody of their children. Gone are the days where a mother must be proven "unfit" to lose custody of her children.
Redneck

Greenbrier, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2011

Judged:

Helpful information, but its "steering" not "stearing".
guest24

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2011

Thanks "Lawyer". Thats very helpful! What are my options for Moving out of state, i was just offered a great job in St. Lewis, but we share cusdody, and she is custodian? I was told by "her" that i can not leave state. She is remarried and has kids of her own, and Jacks is all i have, i just dont see where i have to pass up great opportunity for my son and i, when theres nothing keeping me here but her sayin i have to stay...
Lover

Searcy, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2011

I can see where this could be a problem with you wanting to move to Newfoundland Canada.
Old Army

Greenbrier, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2011

Don't think you can take your son out of state for any length of time without the judge's order, even if you did have physical custody.
Giest

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2011

It has to be a signed order to leave state u less she consents to it..
Erika

Ware Shoals, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2012

If I'm 15 (WILL BE 16 IN jUNE) CAN i decide which parent I wish to live with???
Parent

Winchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2012

If she gives you consent to leave the state with him make sure it is a legal written consent so she can't change her mind and press charges for taking him.. It would be your word against hers.
Parent

Winchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2012

Erika wrote:
If I'm 15 (WILL BE 16 IN jUNE) CAN i decide which parent I wish to live with???
Read up on your laws. You can research just about anything online. Then when you know the facts try setting your parents down and talk with them. If they aren't civil then talk to them seperately and don't just talk to them but listen to what they have to say also. If they believe you have a good point and it is in your best interest then they should take it from there and get the custody arrangment changed or if you just want it cause of the "popularity" vote then it will stay the same.

Amory, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2012

Lawyer wrote:
These people are stearing you in the wrong direction. In the State of Arkansas, a minor child CAN NOT "choose" which parent they want to live with. They can however give their opinion, through an attorney assigned to them by a judge, as to whom they desire to reside with. But the Judge ruling on the case will decide what is in the best interest of the child. This law is growing in popularity because the judges were seeing so many Children choosing the "popular" parent instead of the parent who is in the best interest of the child. Also, they were seeing too many parents compete for the child. In turn, the child is most times exposed to harmful lifestyles that affects them for the rest of their lives. This is also the reason you see more and more Fathers getting custody of their children. Gone are the days where a mother must be proven "unfit" to lose custody of her children.
Yep....all true
JH

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2012

Lawyer wrote:
True on most parts lawyer; however, as I found recently, proving unfit still is dang near required. And proof seems to require a time stamped video of momma putting the heroin syringe in baby's veins (I'm exaggerating). Arkansas is so backwoods that it doesn't matter if both parents are fit.
that girl

Paige, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2012

guest24 wrote:
Thanks "Lawyer". Thats very helpful! What are my options for Moving out of state, i was just offered a great job in St. Lewis, but we share cusdody, and she is custodian? I was told by "her" that i can not leave state. She is remarried and has kids of her own, and Jacks is all i have, i just dont see where i have to pass up great opportunity for my son and i, when theres nothing keeping me here but her sayin i have to stay...
What does your custody agreement say?
Jaren

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2012

Im 16 living in Hawaii and I want to live with my mom, sick of living with my dad and I want to know if it's possible I can live with my mom take m sister with me, she's 12
Cathy

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2012

Lawyer wrote:
Lawyer... My husband and I were given temp custody of a baby about 2 years ago. The mother was homeless, unemployed and did not take care of the child. She has only came to see him about 3 times in 2 years, never calls to check on him or send any support etc. We now want to adopt this child. His mother is 5 months pregnant, known to be doing drugs, no stable home or income. The father of the new baby is in jail again for drugs. He spent 3 years in prison and was released about a year and a half ago and has been back in jail at least three times since his release. I have kept a daily log of times she has visited, called or texted. Even time when she was down the road and never came to see the child. In your opinion what are the chances that the judge will grant the adoption? She does not know who the father is. It is between several guys. Any help will be appreciated.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

12 Users are viewing the Searcy Forum right now

Search the Searcy Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
men's haircut 1 hr guest 2
Jason Anderson of kensett (Sep '13) 2 hr realzie 26
Misty Bowlby? 3 hr Guest 3
Man shot in beebe by his dad??? 3 hr Justin Thomas 27
Content 3 hr greedy mtfr 4
Money Team 4 hr lol 13
juan garcia 4 hr b 5
•••
•••