“VIKINGS, NFC NORTH CHAMPIONS!!”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#22 Aug 27, 2010
Dickie on the Pier wrote:
Beverly the Iron and Arthur the Hook.....here's a poem about Dickie:
The hook. The iron. The knife.
Each for Dickie had a life.
The hook was Arthur, his closest friend.
Twisted hands to lips, a kiss and then
to Beverly his iron tied to a line
and dangled down above the swelling brine
to iron out the the surfer's waves.
A measure of mad Dickie's rage
with all who gathered there to mock
his antic dancing, his crazy talk.
But worse than mocking was the fear
in Dickies eyes when, drawing near
someone asshole with a tiny life
would produce a pocket knife
and call to Dickie, knowing he'd go wild
and scream, "No knife! No knife!, a frightened child
reaching for his hook to kiss and prayŚ
anything to keep that knife at bay.
A dream brings him back, I hear that cry,
"No knife, no knife!" and realize that I
am still the same coward, standing silent
neither resisting, not quite compliant
as the insanity rages far and near
as it did out there on Seal Beach pier.
Wow, you definately knew Dickie.
Great poem that fully describes what we all saw of him.

Someone told me he was hit by a car and killed some years ago.
Are you from Seal Beach?
Dickie on the Pier

Salinas, CA

#23 Aug 27, 2010
Originally from Long Beach......back in the early '60's we'd hitchike to Seal almost everyday to bodysurf. 50 cents for lunch either at Guys for a pot of beans, or at Don Juan's for chips.

Location hidden

#24 Aug 28, 2010
Dickie on the Pier wrote:
Originally from Long Beach......back in the early '60's we'd hitchike to Seal almost everyday to bodysurf. 50 cents for lunch either at Guys for a pot of beans, or at Don Juan's for chips.
I grew up in Seal Beach from the 60's on. I live in Alaska now and I sure wish I would have bought a place or kept our old house.
My parents bought our house on the "Hill" for $13,000.
The last time it sold, it went for over 800K.

Couldn't beat Guys or Don Juan's for a quick burger or taco, eh?
Blake Schelhorn

AOL

#25 Aug 28, 2010
It was in the summers of 1962-3. I was in the 2nd and 3rd grades. Seal Beach was a place to go to in the summer among many others. A single mother of two and an employee of Autonetics, my brother and I were under the care of Al Snyder and his wife (wonderful folks) who cared for many children of working families. It was the greatest place for a kid to be. The snyders always had a dailey schedule of places to take us kids. Dland/knotts etc. Once a week we would go to Seal Beach. God Bless Al and Mrs. Syder for some of my best childhood memories ... Seal Beach and Dickie for one!
Dickie on the Pier

Salinas, CA

#26 Aug 30, 2010
I'm reminded by another old denizen of the pier back in the day that Dickie also had a bugle. He hold it up as though to play and babble "I'm Jack the horn, Jack the Horn!"
Dave F

Corpus Christi, TX

#27 Sep 29, 2010
My Brother Ron and I where talking about those years and I remember a Strangely Kabuki( not sure of spelling) dressed Lady at the South end of houses on beach who would come out her back yard and scare the stuff out of young bicycle rickshaw surfers on our way back to Los Al.
They ruined Seal Beach it was so cool down there.
Pee hole lives on surfin from outside jetty to inside jetty.
jimmie f

Sarasota, FL

#28 Dec 6, 2010
i was thinking about the airport club, marina palace, crusing the net, and i found this post.i'm not from "seal", i was born in long beach in 48', and learned to surf at the river, "ray bay" back before jetty #2 went in. just one of the "grems". i do remember dickie. because i used go to the pier to body surf, and he was always be there with his amazing shopping cart full of friends. in reading your comments and recolections i am impressed by the memories that are still alive in me, and you. he captivated our imagination, he is part of a special time for so so many. so many people long forgotten, yet seal beach dickie is still alive and well. btw the grappling hook was called "robert the n---r lover".
Shakats

Grass Valley, CA

#29 Apr 4, 2011
I lived in Sunset Beach my parents owned Sam's Sea Food went to school in Seal Beach remember Dicky he would walk around with that pail all the time but I remember it haveing shells and junk in it he would follow us to the beach when we all went surfing and he was always by the pier or in the little park in town I believe he lived with his mother in a very small house in town that's what I remember I will ask Corky he might remember more now I want to know
Gary from Seal

Dallas, TX

#30 Aug 7, 2011
As I remember Dickey lived in LB with his mom and would walk from there to Seal and back never saw him get out there hitch's a ride...Think that would scare the hell out of him...and I heard he is living down South with his aunt and is doing well...And Rich the stories of Dickey did come up at last years Gathering-you just were not listen boy....
Dickey was back then a great human being to be around-wished more folks would have listen to him about how to take care of our oceans-maybe they would still be clean today...

Location hidden

#31 Aug 21, 2011
Gary from Seal wrote:
As I remember Dickey lived in LB with his mom and would walk from there to Seal and back never saw him get out there hitch's a ride...Think that would scare the hell out of him...and I heard he is living down South with his aunt and is doing well...And Rich the stories of Dickey did come up at last years Gathering-you just were not listen boy....
Dickey was back then a great human being to be around-wished more folks would have listen to him about how to take care of our oceans-maybe they would still be clean today...
You Rascal. Guess I'll have to listen a bit better at the next Gathering.
Good news about Dickie. I'd thought for the past 20 years he had been hit by a car and killed.

See you next year Bro.
ellen kearney

Cathedral City, CA

#32 May 8, 2012
cLoSeD wrote:
<quoted text>
Also remember Dickie. Tall skinny nice fellow. Used to have a wash tub full of water with broken
glass in it and push the glass around to make noise. He had two paper plates glued together with a few marbles to spin inside. remember when the tram that pulled the trailers with benches out to the end of the pier. The tram crashed over the railing down to the north side of the pier on evening killing the driver. Remember when the hill had no houses on it and a western movie was shot in the field snd was shown at the bay theater. Who was the very short kid?
bob
I believe the movie was "Lucy Gallant" with Jane Whyman and Carleton Heston.
Mark Hjelm

AOL

#33 May 9, 2012
I remember Seal Beach James....He would stand up on the pier at the breakline and yell down to us in the water "Outside!! Outside!! Outside !!" telling us of an incoming wave. Then he would do a little dance and stroke his face with trembling hands he was so excited...
gary

United States

#34 May 10, 2012
Gary from Seal wrote:
Who wrote this please????
gary

United States

#35 May 10, 2012
Who is Gary from Seal???
David Raines

Henderson, NV

#36 May 13, 2012
What a trip to hear these stories from Old Seal Beach. My Grandfather Moved to Belmont Shore In 1945 right after the war and Had two boats that operated off the seal beach pier, THE SEAL and THE SEA LION. Eventually they opened the First television store in Seal called RAINES RADIO AND TV, in 1953. Love Mike Haley he was a great guy to know and worked with at Jack Haley's- CAPTN JACK"S. Love the stories - brings back great feelings of of youth.
Mark Hjelm

AOL

#37 May 14, 2012
Dave F wrote:
My Brother Ron and I where talking about those years and I remember a Strangely Kabuki( not sure of spelling) dressed Lady at the South end of houses on beach who would come out her back yard and scare the stuff out of young bicycle rickshaw surfers on our way back to Los Al.
They ruined Seal Beach it was so cool down there.
Pee hole lives on surfin from outside jetty to inside jetty.
The lady's name was Serrina, she was a retired opera singer I was told. You could hear her singing as you walked by her house on the boardwalk.. Her husband was a character too ... He had a big blue splotch painted on the boardwalk and if you walked over it he would yell "Get out of my lake!"

Location hidden

#38 May 15, 2012
gary wrote:
Who is Gary from Seal???
There is only one "Gary from Seal" that I know of, is this him?
SBG?
Rick

Salt Lake City, UT

#39 Jul 10, 2012
I was at Seal Beach daily during the summers of 1965, 1966, 1967 (summer of love...Wow!) and part of "68 until I went in the military. I remember Seal Beach James very well as a friendly guy that never hurt anyone. He used to run up to a couple of good looking babes laying on their beach towels and say "You're beautiful", something I wish I would have had the nerve to do. Once, while at a friend's house far from Seal Beach (Los Coyotes Diagonal and Spring St.), James rode up to us on a bicycle with a metal basket on the handlebars. In the basket he had a portable record player and a small selection of old 45 RPM records. He was trying to act like a DJ and asked us for requests, but he ended up playing what he wanted to play.
I wish I knew he was O.K. I hate to believe the rumors of his death. I'd like to put my forehead against his, the way he liked to do, and tell him "thank you for being a fond memory during my teenage years".
Steven

La Mesa, CA

#40 Aug 7, 2012
James is a family friend. My dad and uncle grew up with him. He is still alive--living in the same house he grew up in. He is a strong Christian and still rides his bike around. Spends most of his days contacting old friends via postage or phone. If you guys want his contact feel free to email me at [email protected]
Skyskier

United States

#41 Aug 12, 2012
Fran the Man wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you talking about "Dickie"
That's the only "mentally retarded" person that I recall that used to hang out at the pier.
He was deathly afraid of knives and preferred to spend his time "ironing" the ocean.
I believe he was hit by a car and killed some years ago.
I remember Dickie,......cool dude for sure, and his iron !!!man what a place seal Beach was back in the day,....we NEVER locked the house, left the key's in my '60 el Camino all the time, you know, just in case somebody ( from the house) needed to use it. Cruised thru last August on the way back to Winchester, went by the old house on 11 th st. saw a couple of old farts about my age sittin out front. Told them me & my wife lived in the house back in 1966/67 an would they mind if I took their picture. When I left I told them I had left a "red wrapped", 2.2 kilo of "Acapulco Gold" under the loose floorboard, in the upstairs bedroom when I got drafted in 1967,.........I KNOW those guy's were up in that bedroom before we got to PCH .........

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Seal Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
More than 100 storage units damaged in Long Bea... Mon Mary 3
News Topless club shuts its doors (Mar '08) Mon TAS 45
people in military bases in France in the sixties (Mar '07) Aug 19 DonnnaV1956 3,668
News What was that giant, weird-looking dome you saw... Aug 18 Mullahing It Over 2
Depression, pain n anxiety treatment; Aug 18 Foing 1
Where to See the 2017 Total Solar Eclipse, Stat... Aug 18 Ronald 2
Lezbianism Aug 18 espionage 1

Seal Beach Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Seal Beach Mortgages