LPISD bond election
LP resident

Houston, TX

#83 Apr 22, 2014
As Citizen's Advisory Members in 2005, my wife and I supported the Bond proposal. It was structured very differently. It had a 3-tiered approach where voters could choose Option A: Must have infrastructure needs, Option 2: Extras for future, and Option 3: All the above with a technology adder.

The community was involved, educated, and presented options instead of an "all or nothing" approach.

We will vote "NO" on this proposal.

We would like to see this come back for a discussion of priorities, and structure needs and wants differently.
Deadwood

United States

#84 Apr 23, 2014
LP Resident is correct. Well said and thanks you for posting this information. Dr. Say, the School Board and the committee did theropods all in such a way that the voters had options...which in the the long run created trust between the voters and the school board. The bonds passed easily supporting all three proposals.

And BTW...to the person who posted several weeks ago about the financial genius who got rid of the deadwood...some of us voters where considered that deadwood...don't believe everything you hear.

I still support the school district. Sometimes support means saying no...I agree with LP Resident, they need to rethink this proposal. Bring a new plan forward.

“Trying to bring some sanity ”

Since: Apr 14

La Porte

#85 Apr 23, 2014
I am voting "No" on the bonds until the re-evaluate their purpose. Yes, Baker is need of major overhaul, but the majority of this bond goes to high school athletics. Haven't we spent enough money in this area already?

La Porte

#86 Apr 23, 2014
they* re-evaluate
my apologies I know Elaine hates my spelling and grammar
Lucy

La Porte, TX

#87 Apr 23, 2014
In the brochure we got in the mail today the tax rate increase will go from $0.29 to $0.41......that's approximately a 41% increase.....that's huge people! I would like to repeat we owe 25000 per student right now, if this passes it will be 60000 per student. The state average is 15000 per student. If we pass this we are stupid.
Around LP

Pasadena, TX

#88 Apr 23, 2014
La Porte taxpayers don't be confused by the fuzzy math in the brochures presented by the "financial genius" and his power hungry "clones" because they are counting on parents being too emotional about their children's performances that they become blinded into voting for the bond all in one place at the same time. How convenient, fraud, fraud, fraud! Shame on our school board members!
East Texas

Brookshire, TX

#89 Apr 23, 2014
Is there any organized effort to stop this bond election? If there is not an organized effort, the bond election will pass. So, instead of preaching to the choir get out and get some organization. Remember when you are campaigning against something like this you have to substantiate any statement you make and you have to leave personalities out of it. To get the facts, you need to get them from the only source you have and that is the school administration. With the open records law, the administration has to give you access.
Around LP

Pasadena, TX

#90 Apr 23, 2014
Spoken like a good "clone"
The vote is still no
LP resident

Houston, TX

#91 Apr 24, 2014
Interesting. No wonder so few in the community knew about he process:

The citizens bond development committee consisted of 35 residents who were selected by each campus, each trustee and Graham.
http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/bayarea/new...

I will continue to support LPISD and the community. But, this doesn't pass the smell test.

Sorry.
Vote FOR the Bonds

La Porte, TX

#92 Apr 24, 2014
The Bonds will pass because it is the right thing to do. Taxes "might" go up, but I doubt it will be the full amount authorized, which is a worse case scenario, and even at that, it is not much.

Taxes did NOT go up the full amount on the 2005 bonds. In fact, far from it.(I believe it was 3 cents per $100 valuation of the 13 cents authorized.)

But here is the point, most voters will NEVER see a raise in their taxes as they are over 65 and they will see their property NOT depreciate, which is what happens when a school district goes down hill. The result, the poor flood in, crime goes up, and there goes the neighborhood.

Also, if you don't like LPISD...look around and consider moving to another district. But be warned, if that is the reason you are moving, you will move to a school district with higher taxes than we pay or will pay in the future.

LPISD is very unique, we have a huge industrial tax base. Either the money stays here (if you vote for the bonds) or it goes to a border town ISD in South Texas.

Of course, it is your choice. Vote wisely, and remember time is of the essence. Low interest rates, which we now enjoy, won't be here for long. If Republicans take over, interest rates will sky rocket.
LP resident

Houston, TX

#93 Apr 24, 2014
Vote FOR the Bonds wrote:
The Bonds will pass because it is the right thing to do. Taxes "might" go up, but I doubt it will be the full amount authorized, which is a worse case scenario, and even at that, it is not much.
Taxes did NOT go up the full amount on the 2005 bonds. In fact, far from it.(I believe it was 3 cents per $100 valuation of the 13 cents authorized.)
But here is the point, most voters will NEVER see a raise in their taxes as they are over 65 and they will see their property NOT depreciate, which is what happens when a school district goes down hill. The result, the poor flood in, crime goes up, and there goes the neighborhood.
Also, if you don't like LPISD...look around and consider moving to another district. But be warned, if that is the reason you are moving, you will move to a school district with higher taxes than we pay or will pay in the future.
LPISD is very unique, we have a huge industrial tax base. Either the money stays here (if you vote for the bonds) or it goes to a border town ISD in South Texas.
Of course, it is your choice. Vote wisely, and remember time is of the essence. Low interest rates, which we now enjoy, won't be here for long. If Republicans take over, interest rates will sky rocket.
Most voters in La Porte are over 65? WOW! I guess I read the census and demographics wrong...

That being the case, there must be a lot of late birthers in La Porte since we seem to have to stagger bus service due to all the kids.
LP resident

Houston, TX

#94 Apr 24, 2014
Someone can vote "FOR", or "AGAINST" the bond as they wish. I do question some of your reasoning as listed below:

The average age of a La Porte resident is 34-35.
An ISD going down hill has no direct relation to a bond, or the "poor, crime element" as you describe, moving in.
LPISD's tax base is what it is, and a bond shouldn't be the alternative just to "keep from sending money to somewhere else." LPISD has been involved in lawsuits pertaining to Robin Hood for many, many years. I'm quite sure they will continue to be involved in that arena. I don't blame them. In fact, I applaud them. I also want local tax $$$ staying in the area. But, you don't go into debt--anticipating the similar revenue in the future--just to keep it from going somewhere else.
A Political Party has very little determination on interest rates.

A little reasoning in your thoughts might be very beneficial. Work needs to be done. No doubt. But, at least try to bring an argument that makes some sense.

Just my thoughts--right or wrong.

La Porte

#95 Apr 24, 2014
Do you even understand how bonds work? This has nothing to do with money staying or going to the south. If we vote NO like we should, absolutely no more money is going to the south than would had we voted yes. Also, La Porte is basically on par with many other districts property tax wise. You must also take into account though that the cost of property in La Porte is considerably cheaper than some areas in surrounding us, so who is really paying the higher taxes when looking at property worth and the given rate?
LP resident

Houston, TX

#96 Apr 24, 2014
One last thought:

In 2005, citizen committee members weren't selected by campuses, Board members, or the Superintendent.

Members were simply resident voters who were informed about the issue through the local paper--now defunct--or, communications within the community.

No limit. No "Selection."

Meetings for comments and suggestions were open to all voters and taxpayers. Sometimes, more showed up. Sometimes less. In the end, it was truly an "open" process.

Totally different atmosphere than what I'm seeing with this one...
Elaine

Houston, TX

#97 Apr 24, 2014
Yallarefunny wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you even understand how bonds work? This has nothing to do with money staying or going to the south. If we vote NO like we should, absolutely no more money is going to the south than would had we voted yes. Also, La Porte is basically on par with many other districts property tax wise. You must also take into account though that the cost of property in La Porte is considerably cheaper than some areas in surrounding us, so who is really paying the higher taxes when looking at property worth and the given rate?
Yes. Think about it. Vote for the bonds and you will have to pay for the bonds. It's simple math. There is no reason to think the education will get better or worse.

Bay City, TX

#98 Apr 24, 2014
I am surprised but I expect to vote against this all or nothing wish list. Average taxes would go up around $100 a year for an average homeowner.

Last bond election they presented three options and all three passed. This year all or nothing.

Proposal generates a tax increase of 9%, taxes devoted to debt would go up 41%, from 0.29 to 0.41.

Am troubled by improvements to recently completed schools. I agree most of the improvements appear needed but don't like this all or nothing approach. The fact that La Porte keeps all of this tax increase instead of having to send some to South Texas, not sure that is 100% true, doesn't factor into my decision and seems a red herring.

Voting locations and dates:

http://www.lpisd.org/apps/pages/index.jsp...
Audis Smith

Pasadena, TX

#99 Apr 24, 2014
I graduated from school in 62 and am a home owner. This bond issue is a very serious concern for me. We will be 460,000,000 in debt if this bond issue passes. I am apposed to a general bond proposal because this is a giant lush fund for the school district. I would be for a pacific bond proposal that would include replacing the high school not for the multi purpose building that will hold 2,500 students and we have only about 750 students and have lose 300 students the last 6 years. I am apposed to taking down Baker 6th grade. This school was repaired in 2005 for 7,000,000. The school has some plumbing problems that can be fixed. Dr. Gram calls it a bomb shelter and it is just that. It was built for a storm shelter with a low profile. Lomax elementary is the only school that needs to be torn down. The school wants 65.000,000 for Technology and Maintenance and Transportation. I thought the maintenance came from the budget every year. If we are loosing school children every year way do we need new school buses. We built a 23.000.000 building part of was for transportation. We built a bus wash that never works a shop that has a oil change facility that does not work, No lift station for the buses and only a portion of the building is fully being used. I know I work there. The school has not spent the last bond issue wisely.
Numbers

Houston, TX

#100 Apr 24, 2014
A $260,000,000 Bond.
35 Citizen Committee members chosen by the ISD
6 ISD Board members
6 Meetings

Comes out to a little more than $1,000,000 per member per meeting.

Pay up when it passes.
LP resident

Houston, TX

#101 Apr 24, 2014
East Texas wrote:
Is there any organized effort to stop this bond election? If there is not an organized effort, the bond election will pass. So, instead of preaching to the choir get out and get some organization. Remember when you are campaigning against something like this you have to substantiate any statement you make and you have to leave personalities out of it. To get the facts, you need to get them from the only source you have and that is the school administration. With the open records law, the administration has to give you access.
No formal campaign against that I'm aware of...
Details were just received in the mail yesterday. A little too late to get info from a FOI and do anything about it at this late a date.

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#102 Apr 24, 2014
Go to Texastransparency.org to see what all school districts owe debt wise. We already owe a great deal more than the state average, if this passes we will owe 4 times the state average. This is ludicrous.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Seabrook Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hey Trump Chumps....Did you buy this? 6 hr Farts now 13
Hey Trump Chumps..Still pround of your boy? 6 hr Farts now 27
Hey whiney liberals, Trump cutting $193m from w... Tue Herhiney farts 9
What's the deal on Gilliys are they going to bu... May 20 Wendy farts 2
BEWARE of Stores using Certegy Check Approval l... (Mar '10) May 20 Wendy farts 23
Job May 18 Stinky poo fart 222
New Evidence About the Murder of Seth Richards May 18 Stinky poo fart 3

Seabrook Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Seabrook Mortgages