LPISD bond election
First Prev
of 16
Next Last
La Porte est ouverte

Houston, TX

#1 Mar 8, 2014
Do you support the 260 million dollar bond election that calls for massive overhauls to all LPISD schools which include a new Baker 6th Grade Campus, new Lomax elementary, and new additions to the high school?
girl please

Pasadena, TX

#2 Mar 8, 2014
NO - In my opinion, Schools aren't adequately staffed now due to budget restraints and they want to build new schools? And more money to Heritage and Bay Shore (new schools)? I just don't get it. Is there a proposed tax increase any way?
Rumormill

La Porte, TX

#3 Mar 8, 2014
The high school vocational area really needs help. Most everything in that area is from 1974. Paint falling, no heat in some of the shop areas. It is no where near what industry standards are today.
Redoing athletics and fine arts? Everybody knows all the jobs that are out there for athletics and fine arts students. ZERO!
Skilled trades jobs are everywhere and pay better than most college degree jobs. Oh I forgot working with your hands is truly second rate.
Then let work on getting student to read and do basic math in the U.S.!.
Nearly Free Money

La Porte, TX

#4 Mar 15, 2014
Here is the deal. If we don't vote for this bond, this money will go to South Texas. It is all part of the Robin Hood plan that Republicans voted in to avoid an income tax.

If it doesn't pass, jobs will be lost. The money won't be spent in our community. Other kids, not ours, will benefit.

If you are over 65, it is nothing but good news for you. Your taxes are fixed.

If you have kids in school, it is nothing but good news for you also.

This bond election will cost us next to nothing, industry pays most all of it, but it will give our kids needed new facilities. Baker is 1960's architecture and it would not pass the fire code if built like that today. Lomax is cracking up. The rest will be put to good use, and provides much needed security upgrades.

A vote against the Bond is a vote to send our tax money to South Texas. Selfish...perhaps...true? Absolutely.
Around LP

Pasadena, TX

#5 Mar 18, 2014
Sounds too good?
Around LP

Pasadena, TX

#6 Mar 18, 2014
How much is "Nearly Free Money"?
Can I

Houston, TX

#7 Mar 19, 2014
Nearly Free Money wrote:
Here is the deal. If we don't vote for this bond, this money will go to South Texas. It is all part of the Robin Hood plan that Republicans voted in to avoid an income tax.
If it doesn't pass, jobs will be lost. The money won't be spent in our community. Other kids, not ours, will benefit.
If you are over 65, it is nothing but good news for you. Your taxes are fixed.
If you have kids in school, it is nothing but good news for you also.
This bond election will cost us next to nothing, industry pays most all of it, but it will give our kids needed new facilities. Baker is 1960's architecture and it would not pass the fire code if built like that today. Lomax is cracking up. The rest will be put to good use, and provides much needed security upgrades.
A vote against the Bond is a vote to send our tax money to South Texas. Selfish...perhaps...true? Absolutely.
So if industry pays most of it, CAN I send my increased tax bill to one of the plants?

Voting against would send our tax money to South Texas. I call B/S on that one.

“Trying to be civil with idiots”

Since: Oct 09

Sarajevo, Bosnia

#8 Mar 19, 2014
Can I wrote:
<quoted text>
So if industry pays most of it, CAN I send my increased tax bill to one of the plants?
Voting against would send our tax money to South Texas. I call B/S on that one.
Seems to be alot of misinformation and B/S in this thread.

“Trying to be civil with idiots”

Since: Oct 09

Sarajevo, Bosnia

#9 Mar 19, 2014
Below is a few links that explain how the Bond process works. Hopefully this will help out the obviously confused poster above.

http://mytexaspublicschool.org/system/funding...

http://www.gonzales.txed.net/posts/co/2013bon...
Elaine

Kennesaw, GA

#10 Mar 19, 2014
Rumormill wrote:
It is no where near what industry standards are today.
Here is where your argument falls apart. "Industry standards" are based on what building contractors quote in proposals. It has nothing to do with learning in the classroom.
Elaine

Kennesaw, GA

#11 Mar 19, 2014
Nearly Free Money wrote:
Here is the deal. If we don't vote for this bond, this money will go to South Texas. It is all part of the Robin Hood plan that Republicans voted in to avoid an income tax.
If it doesn't pass, jobs will be lost. The money won't be spent in our community. Other kids, not ours, will benefit.
If you are over 65, it is nothing but good news for you. Your taxes are fixed.
If you have kids in school, it is nothing but good news for you also.
This bond election will cost us next to nothing, industry pays most all of it, but it will give our kids needed new facilities. Baker is 1960's architecture and it would not pass the fire code if built like that today. Lomax is cracking up. The rest will be put to good use, and provides much needed security upgrades.
A vote against the Bond is a vote to send our tax money to South Texas. Selfish...perhaps...true? Absolutely.
Pure B.S. That's not how bonds are paid for. The interest is paid for by property owners through their TAXES based on the value of their property. If the bonds pass, expect your taxes to go up to pay for the "Aspiring Rappers" to have a place to crash until baby daddy gets home.
In the know

La Porte, TX

#12 Mar 20, 2014
Under our Texas Robin Hood school finance laws, rich districts (like La Porte) only get to keep a small percentage of the school tax money we get from industry.
The rest goes to "elsewhere." (Read poor districts, like in deep south Texas.
In the recent past rich school districts could name the district where our tax money it would go to or it would just go to the state politicians to distribute. LPISD chose a District in South Texas and shipped, I believe,$32 million to that South Texas district.
BUT...there is a loophole. Bonded indebtedness (like this bond program) is exempt, as are certain administrative costs associated with it...such as maintenance and buses. It is complicated, but this bond program is designed to keep as much money here as possible with minimal residential tax impact.
So, if this bond program is not passed,$260 million of our tax money will go to "elsewhere" so they can have nice schools, technical programs and a better level of maintenance.
To be against this is not a wise choice. Although one might save a few dollars...and I'm talking about just a few...not passing this bond program will result in a substandard, less safe school district.
Once your school district goes down hill the so does the reputation of the city. People flee to better districts and lower economic status people will pour in...and you know what that means. It hurts local business, crime goes up, It is a compounding negative.
Hey it is really YOUR choice. I'm over 65 and my taxes are fixed. But I would like my house to be worth more for my kids when I pass it on or decide to sell it.
OMG

Houston, TX

#13 Mar 20, 2014
In the know wrote:
Under our Texas Robin Hood school finance laws, rich districts (like La Porte) only get to keep a small percentage of the school tax money we get from industry.
The rest goes to "elsewhere." (Read poor districts, like in deep south Texas.
In the recent past rich school districts could name the district where our tax money it would go to or it would just go to the state politicians to distribute. LPISD chose a District in South Texas and shipped, I believe,$32 million to that South Texas district.
BUT...there is a loophole. Bonded indebtedness (like this bond program) is exempt, as are certain administrative costs associated with it...such as maintenance and buses. It is complicated, but this bond program is designed to keep as much money here as possible with minimal residential tax impact.
So, if this bond program is not passed,$260 million of our tax money will go to "elsewhere" so they can have nice schools, technical programs and a better level of maintenance.
To be against this is not a wise choice. Although one might save a few dollars...and I'm talking about just a few...not passing this bond program will result in a substandard, less safe school district.
Once your school district goes down hill the so does the reputation of the city. People flee to better districts and lower economic status people will pour in...and you know what that means. It hurts local business, crime goes up, It is a compounding negative.
Hey it is really YOUR choice. I'm over 65 and my taxes are fixed. But I would like my house to be worth more for my kids when I pass it on or decide to sell it.
OMG, in the know my a$$. This bond election is not going to negate the Robin Hood contribution that we currently have. Where in the world are you getting this Kool Aid? Why aren't you asking someone at the LPISD why we are having to spend over $3 million on two schools that were built 4 years ago.

New school buildings are not the basis for a quality education. If that were the case, Harvard would cease to exist.
Elaine

Tucker, GA

#14 Mar 20, 2014
Great post. Very informative. Than you.
In the know wrote:
Under our Texas Robin Hood school finance laws, rich districts (like La Porte) only get to keep a small percentage of the school tax money we get from industry.
The rest goes to "elsewhere." (Read poor districts, like in deep south Texas.
In the recent past rich school districts could name the district where our tax money it would go to or it would just go to the state politicians to distribute. LPISD chose a District in South Texas and shipped, I believe,$32 million to that South Texas district.
BUT...there is a loophole. Bonded indebtedness (like this bond program) is exempt, as are certain administrative costs associated with it...such as maintenance and buses. It is complicated, but this bond program is designed to keep as much money here as possible with minimal residential tax impact.
So, if this bond program is not passed,$260 million of our tax money will go to "elsewhere" so they can have nice schools, technical programs and a better level of maintenance.
To be against this is not a wise choice. Although one might save a few dollars...and I'm talking about just a few...not passing this bond program will result in a substandard, less safe school district.
Once your school district goes down hill the so does the reputation of the city. People flee to better districts and lower economic status people will pour in...and you know what that means. It hurts local business, crime goes up, It is a compounding negative.
Hey it is really YOUR choice. I'm over 65 and my taxes are fixed. But I would like my house to be worth more for my kids when I pass it on or decide to sell it.
Curious

United States

#15 Mar 20, 2014
Question....if the bond election does not affect our taxes as one states above they why doesn't the district state that in the power point on their website. There is nothing on how it will affect tax payers....because if they said it might persuade some voters to vote no. Also, we should not be all happy that industry may pick up most of the tab...we need industry to stay in the area and not get taxed out. Maybe thats why small businesses in LP struggle to survive...high local taxes.

Finally, pretty schools might bring in a few kids, but it's the quality of the education that will matter in the long run. Don't judge a book by its cover goes both ways....and from what I hear from students and teachers, the problems in LPISD are more about what's inside the four walls...and until some other problems are addressed...my vote will be no.

It just is not a good time for a bond election. Lets hear that some other projects, from the last bond, are going? How's the laptop initiative going? The duel enrollment center...are duel enrollment numbers up for seniors? The Ag Barn...are there more kids in the program? With that power point on the new proposal...could there be some slides on how our money was spent last time? Then I might change my mind. What is the debt of the district? Or are you not wanting to share this info? Curious...
Curious

United States

#16 Mar 20, 2014
Just read over LPISD POWERPOINT...the rate increase will be $0.12 per $100 of taxable value of your property. Go to HCAD.org and look at your current payment to LPISD and do the math. Sorry..that's NOT free money to our family. Do this and then decide how you will vote. Be informed!
sue

Crosby, TX

#17 Mar 20, 2014
the problems are more about what's inside the walls--------
those that do not want to learn
can not be taught
when they refer to what's inside the walls
I do not think they mean termites.
Elaine

Houston, TX

#18 Mar 20, 2014
sue wrote:
the problems are more about what's inside the walls--------
those that do not want to learn
can not be taught
when they refer to what's inside the walls
I do not think they mean termites.
True. No kid will learn if he doesn't want to. No amount of beautiful temples will make a child like school.
Lucy

La Porte, TX

#19 Mar 20, 2014
The financiall report on LPisd website shows we are still paying off the last bond issue for through 2023 which amounts to over 250,00,000. This is around page 45. How far in debt do we want to get?
Taxmenomore

United States

#20 Mar 21, 2014
Lucy wrote:
The financiall report on LPisd website shows we are still paying off the last bond issue for through 2023 which amounts to over 250,00,000. This is around page 45. How far in debt do we want to get?
Great comment, Lucy. So, if it passes LPISD will be 5000,000,000 in debt...1/2 billion. I hope others read this.

Vote no.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 16
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Seabrook Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
do you know ?? 6 min Danny mansfield 17
whats the difference ????? 7 hr Fart Traffic 14
GOP Crumbling and Dems are gaining support Dec 9 Fart Suppliers 21
franken Dec 9 Fart Suppliers 15
Heavy Fed the song (May '14) Dec 6 Fart Treat 236
BEWARE of Stores using Certegy Check Approval l... (Mar '10) Dec 4 Fart surplus 41
La Porte's FINEST (Jul '08) Dec 1 You farted 112

Seabrook Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Seabrook Mortgages