Olives by the Sea
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Resto Rant

Glen Cove, NY

#43 Aug 3, 2011
I think Hot News and Roots Rooter are onto something. Roots seems busy and thriving. Why could they be in trouble? We love Wednesdays for the music. Hope this is all a mistake.
Musical Interlude

Glen Cove, NY

#44 Aug 6, 2011
Sunset Serenade this week featured the youngsters who are learning entertainment at Frank Ferrar's school. Guitar players, keyboard and singers all performed like mini-professionals. Park was packed with parents and residents who frequent the weekly presentation. On with the show.
Skip to Malou

Glen Cove, NY

#45 Aug 6, 2011
Musical Interlude forgot to mention that Frank Ferrara is the boyfriend of Malou, who used to own Olive's. She is as vibrant as ever. She took over the mike and praised Frank's success with the teens. Her own two daughters performed, the older one singing and the other on drums. She beamed with pride.
Wanderlust

Brooklyn, NY

#46 Aug 8, 2011
Just dreaming here. Music in the air. Thursday we have Sunset Serenade at Memorial Park. Friday the Cuban Cigar performs the Latin beat. Saturday the one and only Patio Daddio with a few new faces. Bring it on, Sea Cliff in the Summer, we enjoy the heck out of it. I wish my baby were not on vacation with her parents.
Wanderlust

Brooklyn, NY

#47 Aug 8, 2011
Oops. The Cuban Cigar and Patio Daddio will perform at the Sea Cliff Beach. All starts at 7 pm.
Fall in Line

Sea Cliff, NY

#48 Sep 14, 2011
Well, it seems that two well-dressed gentlemen were looking over the old Olives location across from Arata's with a woman who might have been the wife of building owner Dominick Paradise and handles the building's real estate doings. Rental sign went down in window, giving one the impression that someone's coming in there soon. With what we don't know. Yet.
Joe Krupinski

Sea Cliff, NY

#49 Sep 23, 2011
Well, it's the best-kept secret in Sea Cliff. What will be going in at the old location of Olives by the Sea? The for rent sign is down but not even Jim Foote, our detective Charlie Chan as well as Teddy Roosevelt, is talking. Joe Mazzeo doesn't know either. Nor next-door neighbor Steven Frank, who hopes it won't be another music hangout like Olives was. Not even Anne Rundell, the other usual suspect for gossip and rumors passed on from person to person in Sea Cliff. All of my sources are gone, not even misinformed but completely uninformed. My sweetie and I happen to miss Olives' Thursday and Saturday night musical soirees. We'd go there every week like clockwork. It was a friendly, laid-back place that drew some of the best musicians from this area. Malou was the owner-hostess who kept things lively.
Roots has music Wednesday nights. Although it is nice, it's not quite like Olives was. But don't let that assessment keep you away. The musicians are there, too.
traffic director

Brooklyn, NY

#50 Sep 23, 2011
you went there because you were personna non grata in every other place in town joe....
Joe Krupinski

Sea Cliff, NY

#51 Sep 23, 2011
traffic director wrote:
you went there because you were personna non grata in every other place in town joe....
That's is hardly true, TD, and I have the references to prove it. Many (well, make that a few) patrons want to buy me a drink (on a buy-back agreement, of course) when I walk into Gallagher's. The maitre de at Roots, my long-time buddy Richard Santoro (owner-chef David's father) greets me with a hug (well, a hardy handshake). Joy at Partners does give me a hug (but only because I catch her off-guard when I walk in the back door). Flip adores me (but only when I purposely leave her a good tip to stay on her good side). Metropolitan Bistro owner Billy Long waved hello to me the other night, until I realized he was waving at the guy behind me. I AM treated reasonably well at the Tex-Mex Cactus Cafe across from 7-11, however, and I don't even speak Spanish. Let's meet for a drink and see who gets served first.
Joe Krupinski

Baldwin, NY

#52 Oct 7, 2011
Good news, Sea Cliff, you'll be getting another restaurant in town at the former site of Olives and Once Upon a Moose before that. The new tenant andtheir landlord will be at the Zoning Board on Tuesday, Oct. 18, at 8 p.m. to ask for a variance on the size and parking of the place. If hyou want to be in on the scoop, show up at this hearing. Or we will kpass on the information that we get that night. No word yet on what kind of fare they will serve and whether they will ask for a cabaret permit in order to have music. Olives did two nights a week and it was a huge success.
Old News

Glen Cove, NY

#53 Oct 7, 2011
There has already been at least one public meeting of the Zoning Board on this matter. At that meeting it was made known that it will be a sushi restaurant, serving beer, wine, and sake only. No cabaret license, no amplified music. The description was "background music," I do not know if that can or will include live unamplified music or not. The restaurant will be run by Rob Mansfield, also the owner of Grassroots Cafe in Glen Head. Joe, I'm surprised you don't know all this already. It's old news, has been the subject of considerable rumors for weeks.

Also, Roots has sadly closed its doors. Rumor is that something else will occupy the spot someday, haven't heard anything about what or when.
Joe Krupinski

Baldwin, NY

#54 Oct 7, 2011
Old News wrote:
There has already been at least one public meeting of the Zoning Board on this matter. At that meeting it was made known that it will be a sushi restaurant, serving beer, wine, and sake only. No cabaret license, no amplified music. The description was "background music," I do not know if that can or will include live unamplified music or not. The restaurant will be run by Rob Mansfield, also the owner of Grassroots Cafe in Glen Head. Joe, I'm surprised you don't know all this already. It's old news, has been the subject of considerable rumors for weeks.
Also, Roots has sadly closed its doors. Rumor is that something else will occupy the spot someday, haven't heard anything about what or when.
Touche', Old News, you caught me unawares. For once I did not have the scoop to break the information. But you have done a service to the community. Interestingly, however, is that the Il Villagio Italian place across from Partners is adding a sushi bar to its business. A clash of heads, I'm afraid. Peno, at Il Villagio, should redirect his growth to, maybe, a clam bar. That's what I imagined for the new sushi place, but I love sushi more than clams. It's either feast or famine with these restaurants, don't you think? Roots is up for grabs, I suppose, and I thought it was doing so well.
Joe Krupinski Grass Roots

Baldwin, NY

#55 Oct 8, 2011
The owner/operator of the new sushi opening up at the site of the former Olives and Once Upon a Moose is Rob Mansfield, who runs Grassroots bakery in Glen Head. He and his wife were the Sea Cliff Beach concessionaires in the summer of 2010 and did a fine job there. We are confident that he will be a success with sushi. There is a zoning board meeting on his application on Tuesday, Oct. 18, at 8 p.m. upstairs in village hall. The public is invited to listen and/or participate. Rob Mansfield could use stated support at the hearing.
Joe Krupinski Parking Lot

Baldwin, NY

#56 Oct 9, 2011
I cannot emphasize enough how important our participation would be at the zoning board hearing on Tuesday, Oct. 18, at 8 p.m. upstairs in village hall. Rob Mansfield, who was concessionaire for the Sea Cliff Beach, is the applicant to open a sushi restaurant at the former site of Olives and Once Upon a Moose. A well-run operation there after several failures would be nice for Sea Cliff residents as well as visitors to our town. That might bring hackles to village officials and some citizens alike, but we must get used to a burgeoning downtown business district. With Roots going out last week, another restaurant is in order. Let's help get it okayed by the village.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sea Cliff Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Queens residents rip de Blasio as streets are l... (Jan '16) Dec 13 WATCHING LIVONIA 4
Beechmont Public School (Oct '10) Dec 13 Anonymous 4
Poll Asian invasion in Bayside (Nov '12) Dec 13 KC Bayside 23
Review: Floral Park Dental Care - Michael Lang DDS (Sep '09) Dec 12 Whokneadsyou 40
Growing up in Larchmont (Dec '07) Dec 11 exlarch 61
News Teen found dead at Sea Cliff home for troubled ... (Nov '09) Mar '17 SC beach comber 13
Sea Cliff's lack of a real building inspector (Jun '12) Dec '16 Concerned 7

Sea Cliff Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Sea Cliff Mortgages