Fighting Albemarle Firing Range Plans...

Fighting Albemarle Firing Range Plans - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and Weather

There are 68 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Nov 5, 2012, titled Fighting Albemarle Firing Range Plans - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and Weather. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

Albemarle County police aren't budging on plans for a new firing range and training facility.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

Keene Resident

United States

#22 Nov 7, 2012
I would like to know if anyone has studied the effects of disturbing the old landfill. One would assume heavy metals and hazardous waste are components of the debris that was land filled. Will the disruption of the soil release these components into nearby streams or worse yet into the ground water?
sure

Charlottesville, VA

#23 Nov 7, 2012
Mitt did loose wrote:
<quoted text>Their all out eating crow and cake.
Most likely mourning the election....wondering why the dow is down 300 points, Europe babbling about a major recession - sure to reach us in a big way,$100 Million is spending cuts about to happen, tax rates about to go up, debt ceiling will need to be raised....on and on it goes?
You got anything to offer to make me feel better about this?
didn't think so....neither does bo.
Get Over It

Charlottesville, VA

#24 Nov 7, 2012
sure wrote:
<quoted text>
Most likely mourning the election....wondering why the dow is down 300 points, Europe babbling about a major recession - sure to reach us in a big way,$100 Million is spending cuts about to happen, tax rates about to go up, debt ceiling will need to be raised....on and on it goes?
You got anything to offer to make me feel better about this?
didn't think so....neither does bo.
Here's something that should make you feel better,You seem to be alive or you would not be complaining,Hopefully you have good health,you are not blind or you could read what is being said on these forums,Should i go on.
Infoman

Palmyra, VA

#25 Nov 7, 2012
As a member of the gun club that the police currently use, I'm happy to see that they're finally getting their own place.
sure

Charlottesville, VA

#26 Nov 7, 2012
Get Over It wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's something that should make you feel better,You seem to be alive or you would not be complaining,Hopefully you have good health,you are not blind or you could read what is being said on these forums,Should i go on.
your words seem a little empty and about a useful as teats on a boar hog.
Get Over It

Charlottesville, VA

#27 Nov 7, 2012
sure wrote:
<quoted text>
your words seem a little empty and about a useful as teats on a boar hog.
You see,Life isn't that bad after all.you know that a boar hog has teats.Maybe you can find a use for them,Good Luck.
Outraged

Charlottesville, VA

#28 Nov 7, 2012
Valley Farmer wrote:
Seems to me that law enforcement needs the facility so they are ready to protect themselves and us when the need arises. Citizens have a moral and civic obligation to provide these facilities. If we don't, we have no right to ask these people to risk their lives to protect ours.
In addition, an officer's first job is to get home safely to their families each night. There is no pay scale that compensates for a preventable death.
They have been managing to protect us and do their jobs for the past 100 years without destroying the daily lives of hundreds of people as well as demolishing the Rural Historic district and all its property values, poisoning the water supply to the neighboring farms & the Town of Scottsville and aiming guns at a Medical Center, daycare, senior center and Yancey Elementary school!

They have 2 other EXISTING sites to use any time they wish! They do not need their "own" private place, nor do they need this to operating 7 days a week until 10pm at night!!!!!

People moved to this part of the county precisely because it is dead quiet. We do without the conveniences of being "in town" because we value animals, farms, night starry skies, wildlife, peace and quiet. The people who love this idea should offer up their own neighborhoods. Bear in mind, if they can destroy our lives, you allow them to set a precident to do it to you next with something else!
Outraged

Charlottesville, VA

#29 Nov 7, 2012
Keene Resident wrote:
I would like to know if anyone has studied the effects of disturbing the old landfill. One would assume heavy metals and hazardous waste are components of the debris that was land filled. Will the disruption of the soil release these components into nearby streams or worse yet into the ground water?
Yes - this is bordered by 2 major creeks, one of which feeds the Town of Scottsville water supply. And because there has been NO NOTICE given to most of the nearby residents, people have had no time to do EPA studies, etc. Bear in mind their pumping thousands of lead bullets into the soil also has fragmented lead poisoning. On a proper rifle range, just routine cleaning requires wearing a hazmat suit.
Outraged

Charlottesville, VA

#30 Nov 7, 2012
cotaxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>
Well said. What we pay our officers now, is a disgrace. Give them what they need to protect us when we need them.Safety comes at a cost. Our safety, the publics safety must come first. Yes, we have to make sacrificies to make this happen. The cost of doing business these days.
Safety doesn't come at the cost of destroying the daily lives of the people they are being PAID BY US to protect! Putting something like this in the midst of neighboring farms & homes, less then 1/2 mile thru the open field & woods of a medical center, daycare & senior center and aiming at an Elementary school. Nor is it "safety" to put it on a LANDFILL that had a minimum of 30 years' moratorium that the land not be disturbed, next to 2 primary creeks supplying water to a Town and the wells of all for miles around!
Outraged

Charlottesville, VA

#31 Nov 7, 2012
Focus wrote:
<quoted text>
Are we talking about compensation or money to spend on a shooting range? Let's not blur the two, they are different. Why is the current facilities not good enough is my question and are there other options beside buying land. Why can't the police do what they do now two times a year?
Because they are being asked to LEAVE the private facility because of the shabby way they treated it and the private members are fed up and want them gone.
Outraged

Charlottesville, VA

#32 Nov 7, 2012
Infoman wrote:
As a member of the gun club that the police currently use, I'm happy to see that they're finally getting their own place.
There it is - finally someone backing up what many of us know. We support our police - regardless of whether they make $20,000 or $750,000. The point is that putting a facility like this in the middle of a historic rural district with NO NOTICE or input from any of the residents is ridiculous and irresponsible . There should be no rush to do this, and without approval from the BOS they have already paved the road in and torn up Fortune Lane, acting as if this is a done deal.

Most of us have put our entire life savings into our farms & homes and would not have done so had we known our lives would be shattered by listening to 12-14 people at a time firing 1,000 rounds of automatic gunfire at a time. Or having a high speed car race course to train for chases and crashes, with squealing wheels sounding like NASCAR in our backyards. Poisoning our well water and demolishing our property values.

They can find another logical place to do their training (2 others already exist and have offered to allow them to come any time)- they just don't want to be bothered to drive there.

“Keeping life realistic”

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#33 Nov 7, 2012
Outraged wrote:
<quoted text>
There it is - finally someone backing up what many of us know. We support our police - regardless of whether they make $20,000 or $750,000. The point is that putting a facility like this in the middle of a historic rural district with NO NOTICE or input from any of the residents is ridiculous and irresponsible . There should be no rush to do this, and without approval from the BOS they have already paved the road in and torn up Fortune Lane, acting as if this is a done deal.
Most of us have put our entire life savings into our farms & homes and would not have done so had we known our lives would be shattered by listening to 12-14 people at a time firing 1,000 rounds of automatic gunfire at a time. Or having a high speed car race course to train for chases and crashes, with squealing wheels sounding like NASCAR in our backyards. Poisoning our well water and demolishing our property values.
So..putting your entire life savings into a place beside a landfill however, made perfect sense?

Bottom line is, the county(or any other of your neighbors) don't have to ask you what you think about what they do on their property as long as it doesn't break any laws. I don't complain about my neighbor driving in and out all day with his big rigs, he doesn't complain about my landscaping equipment. Just like when you were at summer camp, there are quiet hours, if they are not obeyed, then handle it then.

Do people hunt around you? The untrained are far more of a hazard to you then the PD at a shooting range.
The landfill itself is far more of a hazard than anything the range will do, yet your still moved in knowing such a thing.
Mitt did loose

Charlottesville, VA

#34 Nov 7, 2012
So this amounted to a backroom deal between officials with too much money to spend and a property owner, what else is new. Once again the average joe gets shafted again by the cops. The bad part, now us taxpayers have to pay for all the gas that s gonna be used up so these cops can play cops and robbers.
buyerbeware

Charlottesville, VA

#36 Nov 12, 2012
Negligent Discharge wrote:
The majority of the overtime is paid by the person or organization that hires the cops. For example, the John Paul Jones arena pays, not the departments. Other overtime comes in the form of federal grants. The federal government will give the county $20,000 to work seat belt or drunk driving campaigns. DMV hands out overtime grants too.
Hand to hand combat in police work is a very rare occasion now. The first officer on the scene doesn't go bursting in any longer. They stage closeby and wait for backup to arrive. If a person does resist arrest they then pull out the stun guns or real guns. All this physical fighting like you see on TV simply doesn't happen very often. Any officer who has to go hands on more than twice a year is usually causing it himself by running his mouth off to a suspect. Many of them like to do this because assault on a police officer carries a mandatory 6 months in jail now.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with having a $350,000 to $400,000 home, you simply have to make the big bucks to pay for it. Government employees whining about low salaries is getting quite boring lately. And citizens who repeat their constant whining about low salaries are just as boring. The Brady lady who tried to kill her husband fireman back in August, they were living in a $750,000 home. A local police chief lives in a $750,000 home too. I have no sympathy for government employees when there's unemployed college graduates still looking for work and who would do their jobs for half of what they are making.
The Richmond Times Dispatch published all state positions and salaries where an employee made over $50,000 a few years ago. I had a difficult time finding any state employee in law enforcement I knew that wasn't on the list.
So they use their skills to hold down a second job? If UVa pays them to work JPJ, then what's your complaint? You can't find a second job to match up with your "skills"?
heh

Charlottesville, VA

#37 Nov 12, 2012
buyerbeware wrote:
<quoted text>So they use their skills to hold down a second job? If UVa pays them to work JPJ, then what's your complaint? You can't find a second job to match up with your "skills"?
he was originally responding to
"Cops don't become cops for the money..."
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

#38 Nov 12, 2012
Fine, let them shoot each other.
Negligent Discharge

Charlottesville, VA

#39 Nov 12, 2012
C-ville Citz wrote:
<quoted text>
If it's such a safe job, then why have 106 already died this year? Easy to knock it from your nice desk job
I'm just stating the facts. I have never seen police work in the Top 10 Most Dangerous Professions. Do you have any idea how many truckers have been killed nationwide this year? I'm sure it probably much more than 106.

By the way, facts once again.... half of the 160 officer deaths you cite were a result of their own reckless driving. I'm sorry, that's just the way it is.

TOP 10 --

Fishermen
Loggers
Pilots
Trash Collection
Roofers
Steel Workers
Farmers
Truckers
Electrical Line Workers
Taxi Drivers

http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2012/09/24/ameri...
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

#40 Nov 12, 2012
<quoted text>
I'm just stating the facts. I have never seen police work in the Top 10 Most Dangerous Professions. Do you have any idea how many truckers have been killed nationwide this year? I'm sure it probably much more than 106.
By the way, facts once again.... half of the 160 officer deaths you cite were a result of their own reckless driving. I'm sorry, that's just the way it is.
TOP 10 --
Fishermen
Loggers
Pilots
Trash Collection
Roofers
Steel Workers
Farmers
Truckers
Electrical Line Workers
Taxi Drivers
http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2012/09/24/ameri...
Don't forget the cops that eat their own guns.
Negligent Discharge

Charlottesville, VA

#41 Nov 12, 2012
Outraged wrote:
<quoted text>
People moved to this part of the county precisely because it is dead quiet. We do without the conveniences of being "in town" because we value animals, farms, night starry skies, wildlife, peace and quiet. The people who love this idea should offer up their own neighborhoods. Bear in mind, if they can destroy our lives, you allow them to set a precident to do it to you next with something else!
These same people you speak of created and added to the rapid growth in this area, which resulted in increased services being needed. These increased services include police departments that can shoot straight without hitting 13 bystanders (like happened in New York a few months ago).

Since growth has caught up with these people you speak of, perhaps they need to look for a new place to move to?
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

#42 Nov 12, 2012
<quoted text>
These same people you speak of created and added to the rapid growth in this area, which resulted in increased services being needed. These increased services include police departments that can shoot straight without hitting 13 bystanders (like happened in New York a few months ago).
Since growth has caught up with these people you speak of, perhaps they need to look for a new place to move to?
Backassward thinking.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scottsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hey detective Randy Snead they better detective... Fri Sir Master 5
Dog abusers Apr 25 Val Entyne 1
News Police Standoff at Lake Monticello Ends, Suspec... (Feb '13) Apr 23 Kimmy Head 79
dog maced at the lake by police officer Apr 22 caeie 1
Voting for Donald Trump is like voting for Rand... Apr 22 DDee 3
Tiny House Parking wanted Apr 18 genevat 1
News Charlottesville Housing Authority Criticized Ov... (Apr '13) Apr 18 fuandyourthoughts 69
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Scottsville Mortgages