Greene County Man Spared Jail Time fo...

Greene County Man Spared Jail Time for Embezzlement

There are 47 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Jan 6, 2013, titled Greene County Man Spared Jail Time for Embezzlement. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

A former Greene County animal control officer won't serve any time behind bars for embezzling more than $19,000 from the sheriff's office.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Santa

Richmond, VA

#1 Jan 8, 2013
Always some shifty Shifflett out there acting a fool. Surprised this one got off with no real punishment.
Randy

Buckingham, VA

#2 Jan 8, 2013
boy i sure hope this judge stays in Greene for a while
sorry to live in Greene

Buckingham, VA

#3 Jan 8, 2013
This guy stole money that relates to a triple murder case. The case will probably not go to trial due to this, and no jail time. This is sad, shame on you judge Bouton. The same old s**t!!! SAD,SAD,SAD
Dude

Spotsylvania, VA

#4 Jan 8, 2013
This is why why collar criminals will continue to commit white collar crimes. Until we bring the hammer down on white collar criminals they will continue to be incentivized to commit these crimes.
Dude

Spotsylvania, VA

#5 Jan 8, 2013
*white collar
REALITY PEOPLE

United States

#6 Jan 8, 2013
DAM RIGHT WELL SPOKEN HE DESERVED JAIL TIME A NORMAL "CITIZEN" WOULD HAVE HAD THE BOOK THROWN AT HIM/HER
DbAg

Waynesboro, VA

#7 Jan 8, 2013
Here's the point of the story...if you're ever proposed a plea deal, TAKE IT! It makes things easier when plea deals are accepted. No trials, no making sure all witnesses show up, etc, etc. A lot of white collar crimes are plead because it makes life easier for all involved. It's not just the judge to blame; it's the whole judicial system.
Lee

Ruckersville, VA

#8 Jan 8, 2013
He should at least be picking up trash or something.
Dude

Spotsylvania, VA

#9 Jan 8, 2013
DbAg wrote:
Here's the point of the story...if you're ever proposed a plea deal, TAKE IT! It makes things easier when plea deals are accepted. No trials, no making sure all witnesses show up, etc, etc. A lot of white collar crimes are plead because it makes life easier for all involved. It's not just the judge to blame; it's the whole judicial system.
While what you say is 100% true; it's also why a lot of innocents get convicted.
sez you

Charlottesville, VA

#10 Jan 8, 2013
DbAg wrote:
Prosecuters love plea deals, less work. One problem with that is there are lot of charges that get dropped as a result. Like say gun charges. Happens all the time. Prosecutors get a good conviction rate and crimes go unpunished.
who cares

Johnson City, TN

#11 Jan 8, 2013
driving while suspended second offense gets you at least 10 days in the pokey.

stealing from the "cookie jar", probation....hmm
whatever

Wirtz, VA

#12 Jan 8, 2013
Lee wrote:
He should at least be picking up trash or something.
Well you wouldnt want him taking sheriff smiths job now would you!!!
Are you kidding me

Wirtz, VA

#13 Jan 8, 2013
So let me get this straight. The news story says that a Greene County sergeant testified for this thief, So this is an employee who is currently working for the Greene County Sheriffs office.WOW! what kind of people do they have working at that Sheriffs Department.
not4sayn4

Lawrenceville, GA

#14 Jan 8, 2013
Are you kidding me wrote:
So let me get this straight. The news story says that a Greene County sergeant testified for this thief, So this is an employee who is currently working for the Greene County Sheriffs office.WOW! what kind of people do they have working at that Sheriffs Department.
Yes, a sereant testified for him at the sentencing. Its still "The Good Ole Boy" system! I got my first and only DUI in Greene County, got me 10 days in jail. I knew Shifflett personally and most others that worked at the Sheriffs office. They were and will always be "The Good Ole Boys"! So much for an adversarial justice system!
big joe

Charlottesville, VA

#15 Jan 8, 2013
all you got to do is say im so sorry and be a x cop you get off for anything you do this is bad bad bad need new lews for this ass of a man hem no man at all .green going to the dogs
Truth

Charlottesville, VA

#16 Jan 8, 2013
What a shame.Home cooking the Judge should step down.He stole and got away with it.More involed than you know.Jimbo was going to spill the beans,so they let him go so he would not tell.Way to go Steve fire the others you know who they are.Make it right.Election is comming fast.
Guardian

Troy, VA

#17 Jan 8, 2013
I told you he would get the usual slap on the wrist. The good old boy network is still in effect for this area. They think they are above the law because they are. It's not whether they are black or white, blue is the color required for leniency in the courts these days. They look out for their own and don't care what the public thinks, they know there is nothing anyone can do about it. If it were anyone other than a member of law enforcement his ass would be in jail, period.
whatever

Wirtz, VA

#18 Jan 9, 2013
Truth wrote:
What a shame.Home cooking the Judge should step down.He stole and got away with it.More involed than you know.Jimbo was going to spill the beans,so they let him go so he would not tell.Way to go Steve fire the others you know who they are.Make it right.Election is comming fast.
I agree with you 100 percent. Why cant we just fire Steve Smith? He is just as crooked as those other clowns are down there. But you are right about one thing, election time will be here soon.People lets work hard to get someone honest in the greene county sheriffs dept.We deserve it, Greene County hasnt seen that for a long time!
shaking my head

Wirtz, VA

#19 Jan 9, 2013
not4sayn4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, a sereant testified for him at the sentencing. Its still "The Good Ole Boy" system! I got my first and only DUI in Greene County, got me 10 days in jail. I knew Shifflett personally and most others that worked at the Sheriffs office. They were and will always be "The Good Ole Boys"! So much for an adversarial justice system!
And you would have thought by electing a new sheriff, would have changed the good ole boy system. The new sheriff is just as bad as the one Greene County had before.
who cares

Johnson City, TN

#20 Jan 9, 2013
the sheriff has nothing to do with the sentencing. At least he wasn't afraid to go in and get his hands "dirty" by calling in the investigators and getting to the bottom of things. He could have easily washed it under the bridge and kept his department from getting a black eye. All he can do is be upfront and honest and let the chips fall where they may.

Bouton made that decision not steve.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scottsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bi interests 11 hr Curious1 1
News Number of U.S. hate groups jumps 20 percent sin... 12 hr Roger_christian_AR 1
News Fans of the '70s hit TV show "The Waltons" plan... Tue IrishEyes37 1
News Political Prosecutions, Anarcho-Tyranny, And Na... Tue Gematria News Sta... 1
seeking info about courthouse shooting in 1984 Feb 18 seeking info 8
News What has changed in the 6 months since the Char... Feb 17 Gematria News Sta... 1
Prison Officers Alone (Aug '17) Aug '17 Prison Officers A... 1

Scottsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Scottsville Mortgages