Pedestrian Struck by Car on McIntire Road

Police are trying to figure out what led to a pedestrian being hit by a car on McIntire Road in Charlottesville. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Native

Charlottesville, VA

#21 Feb 7, 2013
Eaglescout1984 wrote:
But seriously, there is one of these pedestrian hit stories every other week. I wonder if all of "pedestrian friendly" crosswalks downtown and near UVa have led to both emboldened pedestrians and oblivious drivers.
I know for me when I walk to/from work I have to cross Monticello Ave and I can there waiting while 20 cars roll on by because they have been trained by those stupid blinking lights on Avon and 9th St. They think if they don't see those blinking lights, they don't have to stop. One time I started across the road when there was one car left in a line on the opposite side of the road. He clearly saw me starting across and could have chose to stop, but instead he decided to stare at me like I was crazy.
If you're a pedestrian you can't just step in front of a car and expect them to stop on a dime, especially if they can't see you. And drivers need to be a little more courteous when they do see pedestrians and can let them cross.
Yep....that idiot pedestrian attitude! Why do you think your time is so much more valuable than that of the drives....Just as easy for you to wait as for 2 lanes of traffic to stop while you amble across. If for nothing else, consider the gridlock causes by the interruption of flow and environmental impact of the fuel waste as all those stopped vehicles now accelerate once you have crossed. The pedestrians are not the only users of the roadways....they just think so!
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

#22 Feb 7, 2013
Eaglescout1984 wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe you confused me with another user.
Eaglescout1984
Charlottesville, VA
|Report Abuse
|Judge it!
Yesterday Judged:

Can we get an independent inspector to look at this too? I don't know how much water is in that dam and the one right below it, but if it's enough that eventually runs into the Rivanna and can flood parts of Charlottesville.

Here is a refresher for you!
no time for that

Charlottesville, VA

#23 Feb 7, 2013
What ever happened to " Look both ways before crossing the street" ?
Rex

Alexandria, VA

#24 Feb 7, 2013
Wilbur wrote:
Hey police! She was wearing dark clothes at night and walking in the middle of the road.
Case closed! Ol' Wilbur closes another police mystery!
They might go to court & the judge will drop the case, but the drivers insurance co will pay. The drivers auto insurance will either drop him or his premiums will go sky high!
TL in Cville

Midlothian, VA

#25 Feb 7, 2013
Fluco Reader wrote:
<quoted text> There's nothing in the story that says the driver didn't stop. So where did you get that? If she was wearing dark clothes, stepped out in front of a car that I'm sure had its headlights on she was either talking or texting on a cell phone or was trying to commit suicide. She shouldn't get more than medical bills from the driver's insurance company because she was the one at fault -- not the driver. Check with any law firm and they'll tell you that unless it's proven different.
She shouldn't get even medical bills from the driver's insurance company. She was clearly at fault. I feel sorry for the driver who has to live with knowing he/she hit a pedestrian! I agree with you tho, where is the part in the story about the driver leaving the scene?
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

#26 Feb 7, 2013
no time for that wrote:
What ever happened to " Look both ways before crossing the street" ?
Poor Parenting!
G Luv

Charlottesville, VA

#27 Feb 7, 2013
"You provided your own insight by using name-calling, you sure showed them!"

Cry about name calling all you want; it is an objective assessment of this place. That you used "them" instead of "us" only shows your lack of self-awareness.
Rex

Alexandria, VA

#28 Feb 7, 2013
Fluco Reader wrote:
<quoted text> There's nothing in the story that says the driver didn't stop. So where did you get that? If she was wearing dark clothes, stepped out in front of a car that I'm sure had its headlights on she was either talking or texting on a cell phone or was trying to commit suicide. She shouldn't get more than medical bills from the driver's insurance company because she was the one at fault -- not the driver. Check with any law firm and they'll tell you that unless it's proven different.
Wrong, she will get money from auto insurance co!
G Luv

Charlottesville, VA

#29 Feb 7, 2013
"Yep....that idiot pedestrian attitude! Why do you think your time is so much more valuable than that of the drives....Just as easy for you to wait as for 2 lanes of traffic to stop while you amble across. If for nothing else, consider the gridlock causes by the interruption of flow and environmental impact of the fuel waste as all those stopped vehicles now accelerate once you have crossed. The pedestrians are not the only users of the roadways....they just think so!"

As an example, I present Exhibit A: Failure of Driver's Ed. 101...

(and so cute when the vroom, vroom crowd pulls the 'environment' card)

Since: Oct 10

Palmyra, VA

#30 Feb 7, 2013
It's those assault vehicles! Look at all of the accidents around Charlottesville recently.. If it weren't for these large dangerous fast moving vehicles, we'd be much safer. How many people are killed every day in a car accident? If we could save just one life, shouldn't we do something? Anything? I think the first step is harsher punishments on those who cause accidents. Next, we need to make vehicles safer. Speed limits should be set at 25 mph everywhere, and limit drivers to 5 minutes of driving a day. If you are caught driving any faster, revoke your right to drive permanently. We need to do this people.. after all, it's for the children...
G Luv

Charlottesville, VA

#31 Feb 7, 2013
"She was clearly at fault."

Not necessarily. There are crosswalks and intersections around there. No word where exactly she was crossing.
Rex

Alexandria, VA

#32 Feb 7, 2013
The person that was hit will get at least $15,000.00 or more from the drivers auto insurance co. Ask your own insurance co, if this is true.
jogger

Charlottesville, VA

#33 Feb 7, 2013
If this same type of incident were to happen to me ...you can be sure I would not stop if there were no other persons or cars around... Why should I or my insurance company pay for another persons studidity...
same would apply for a bicycle rider..if I were to clip one of them....if you stop you will be screwed and if you drive away and get caught you will still be screwed...so might as well take a chance and leave the scene...sort of like playing the lottery...
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

#34 Feb 7, 2013
G Luv wrote:
Not necessarily. There are crosswalks and intersections around there. No word where exactly she was crossing.
Was the car on the sidewalk?
Amazed

Charlottesville, VA

#35 Feb 7, 2013
What is wrong with you people? I hope the driver and the pedestrian are okay. How wonderful that all of you have never showed poor judgement or made a mistake.
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

#36 Feb 7, 2013
Amazed wrote:
What is wrong with you people? I hope the driver and the pedestrian are okay. How wonderful that all of you have never showed poor judgement or made a mistake.
well thank you! Expample is the best teacher!
DANNY B

Charlottesville, VA

#37 Feb 7, 2013
Either a UVA student or someone who has adopted the entitlement attitude of our government, and believes he/she is entitled to walk anytime or anywhere, regardless of circumstances. Pedestrians and motorists should be aware than when the light turns green the diagonal road has enabled the pedestrian signal to proceed. This is evident daily, watch the bicycles weave out and in traffic, run stop lights. I can understand the frustration of local motorists dealing with that attitude. But being right or wrong, is irrelevant when a persons safety is ignored.
Rex

Alexandria, VA

#38 Feb 7, 2013
It's the drivers fault & a judge will tell you it's the drivers responsibility to watch out for pedestrians. Ask a judge!
TL in Cville

Midlothian, VA

#39 Feb 7, 2013
G Luv wrote:
Even when there is a crosswalk, the pedestrian as much as the driver has a responsibility to look both ways before crossing. It's possible that a driver might not have time to stop if the pedestrian just steps out.
edumacator

Charlottesville, VA

#40 Feb 8, 2013
thinking free wrote:
<quoted text>
Poor Parenting!
Naw,don't blame the parents. They are only victims of the society we've created. Blame the teachers instead. I'm sure there was some SOL question on "street crossing."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scottsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Charlottesville population has increased by ten... Wed Terradive 1
Charlottesville City Council addresses city's h... Jan 22 Terrabyte 1
subway worker Jan 20 mommy 1
Dialogue on Race: Effectiveness of Protests in ... Jan 19 cops are liars an... 2
Massive Spike In Whites Setting Blacks On Fire Dec '14 Sam 2
Augusta Man Faces Felony Sex Charges - NBC29 WV... (Nov '12) Dec '14 stuart Draft 6
Happy Holidays Dec '14 Stan0807 1
Scottsville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Scottsville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 12:51 pm PST