Scottsville Families Strategize Over ...

Scottsville Families Strategize Over Library

There are 10 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Mar 15, 2010, titled Scottsville Families Strategize Over Library. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

Albemarle County budget cuts could shut the doors to the Jefferson-Madison Regional Library's branch in Scottsville.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

Ella

Winchester, VA

#1 Mar 16, 2010
I am so sorry for the Scottsville residents. The Library is an incredible asset to the community. They provide resources for EVERYONE. This is such a tragedy! They should be cutting hours at all branches to maintain all of their satellites. No one should have to go without their library.
wise one

Charlottesville, VA

#2 Mar 16, 2010
If it saves the County money then shut it down because the County needs all the money it can get because they lost the money to the City. After they close this down then they can find something else to close down because when you close one thing down then the next time it gets easy for the next shut down.
XX XX

United States

#3 Mar 16, 2010
Keep the library open- just adjust hours at all the libraries.
VirginiaP

Charlottesville, VA

#4 Mar 16, 2010
When Nelson had budget issues a few years ago and couldn't contribute wholly, the Nelson branch reduced hours but did not impose that on the other members of the region. If Albemarle cannot support the library budget then reduce hours in Albemarle branches but do not ask the libraries in much poorer counties to suffer on Albemarle's behalf.
Ella wrote:
I am so sorry for the Scottsville residents. The Library is an incredible asset to the community. They provide resources for EVERYONE. This is such a tragedy! They should be cutting hours at all branches to maintain all of their satellites. No one should have to go without their library.
Stots Reele

United States

#5 Mar 16, 2010
I 100% agree that we need to do everything possible to support the library. We need to keep pressure on both the library board of directors and the county supervisors.

I had gone to the library board meeting and made a public comment. The next meeting is at 1 PM on Monday March 22nd at the central library in Charlottesville. I plan to attend and I hope others also attend.

In addition, I strongly urge everyone to write to all of the supervisors on the county council. Their business and e-mail addresses are available on the Albemarle County website. I have written to everyone on the council.
Glen36108

Wirtz, VA

#6 Mar 16, 2010
"They fear a five percent cut in funds to the library system from supervisors could shut the doors for good."

Hmm. Maybe that's because the JMRL trustees have vowed to close the Scottsville library if the funding was cut by five percent?
wise one

Charlottesville, VA

#7 Mar 17, 2010
MAYBE your CHILDREN can go to the new YMCA the COUNTY is going to build for the CITY. They can use the money they get for closing you down to pay for this new YMCA which is going to be a BABY SETTING place. ALBEMARLE COUNTY will fall for anything but the right things (BACK BONE WEAK).
Ella

Purcellville, VA

#8 Mar 17, 2010
VirginiaP wrote:
When Nelson had budget issues a few years ago and couldn't contribute wholly, the Nelson branch reduced hours but did not impose that on the other members of the region. If Albemarle cannot support the library budget then reduce hours in Albemarle branches but do not ask the libraries in much poorer counties to suffer on Albemarle's behalf.
<quoted text>
Pardon me, but last time I checked Scottsville was a community in Albemarle County. I was not suggesting any other counties pick up the tab. Sorry if I implied that. My whole part on keeping it open is because this is a more rural part in Albemarle, and these folks might not have transportation to the other branches. Good day to you...
this cant be true

AOL

#9 Oct 27, 2010
as a little girl growing up in scottsville i have spent so many hours in that library. maryanne was the librarian. it was so nice.
this cant be true

AOL

#10 Oct 27, 2010
the fact that scottsville is so isolated it would be sad to lose the library. the fact is charlottesville has many libraries, why not look at them. shutting down the one that is in access to scottsville is a travesty

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scottsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looking for a couple of homeless people Sat Hospitalityhouseg... 5
Looking for dick Feb 5 Denny 2
News Albemarle May Soon Have More Panhandling Feb 3 screwem 5
subway worker (Jan '15) Jan 21 Anon 2
harassment and vandalism at lake monticello (Oct '11) Jan 20 jimmy page 2
Teresa Casey... Jan 17 Sam 1
News Police Find City Woman On I-64 Jan 11 Debra 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Scottsville Mortgages