New Ivy Fire Rescue Station Improves ...

New Ivy Fire Rescue Station Improves Response Times

There are 19 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Jul 5, 2013, titled New Ivy Fire Rescue Station Improves Response Times. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

People who live in Ivy and along the Route 29 North corridor in Albemarle County can expect faster emergency response times.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

Spud

Charlottesville, VA

#1 Jul 10, 2013
Now if we can just get the employees to become fit using the exercise from Homeland Security that would be a good thing!
Sez you

Charlottesville, VA

#2 Jul 10, 2013
Just past a scene on Carlton, two fire trucks, bunch of fat white guys standing around yakking doing nothing, all the while blocking traffic which is bad enough as it is. Worthless.
Really

Southfield, MI

#3 Jul 12, 2013
What a bunch of bs. The only reason this station is there is so the rich people can say they live within a certain amount of miles to a fire station and get a reduced rate on their million dollar home's insurance.
sez you

Macomb, MI

#4 Jul 12, 2013
Really wrote:
What a bunch of bs. The only reason this station is there is so the rich people can say they live within a certain amount of miles to a fire station and get a reduced rate on their million dollar home's insurance.
Hadn't heard that one before but it certainly would be plausible in this town.

“Keeping life realistic”

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#5 Jul 13, 2013
sez you wrote:
<quoted text>Hadn't heard that one before but it certainly would be plausible in this town.
welcome to ISO ratings, tis the case anywhere you go.
sez you

Macomb, MI

#6 Jul 13, 2013
Laughing at the fools wrote:
<quoted text>
welcome to ISO ratings, tis the case anywhere you go.
Darn, just increased my makeup of cynicism, like I need any more.

“Keeping life realistic”

Location hidden

#7 Jul 14, 2013
sez you wrote:
<quoted text>Darn, just increased my makeup of cynicism, like I need any more.
Cynicism is one thing, being a troll who feels they need to interject in every post on the site however is difference.
Your daily"cynical" posts give you about as much credibility as a piece of broccoli.
sez you

Charlottesville, VA

#8 Jul 15, 2013
<quoted text>
Cynicism is one thing, being a troll who feels they need to interject in every post on the site however is difference.
Your daily"cynical" posts give you about as much credibility as a piece of broccoli.
Gee, that hurt, not. Brocolli is good for you, by the way. Eat some. Sarcasm rules. Cyincism is a healthy trait, like we're supposed to believe everything a politician says? right. Like we're supposed to believe Gawd saves? right. Your own moniker betrays your hypocracy.
Southerner

United States

#10 Jul 15, 2013
If you believe all that bs dan was spouting off I got some beach front property in Afton to sell you. The idiots at ACFR are just building their regime and it will cost all the tax payers. Ask you BOS how many more 60,000$+jobs is ACFR going to get this year. That's just another one that will slide under the radar, just like 15 was supposed to be volunteer what a joke just like ACFR!
sez you

Charlottesville, VA

#11 Jul 16, 2013
Southerner wrote:
If you believe all that bs dan was spouting off I got some beach front property in Afton to sell you. The idiots at ACFR are just building their regime and it will cost all the tax payers. Ask you BOS how many more 60,000$+jobs is ACFR going to get this year. That's just another one that will slide under the radar, just like 15 was supposed to be volunteer what a joke just like ACFR!
It is a regime just as you say. With million dollar trucks that sit and do nothing most every day. Why in the world does this backward city put more effort into fires that don't happen than car wrecks that do. Has to be political.
mow

Charlottesville, VA

#12 Jul 16, 2013
sez you wrote:
<quoted text>It is a regime just as you say. With million dollar trucks that sit and do nothing most every day. Why in the world does this backward city put more effort into fires that don't happen than car wrecks that do. Has to be political.
it's not in the city, it's the county.
Somebody break out the squeegee, this ones a window licker.
sez you

Charlottesville, VA

#13 Jul 16, 2013
mow wrote:
<quoted text>
it's not in the city, it's the county.
Somebody break out the squeegee, this ones a window licker.
All the same ilk.
Todd G

Charlottesville, VA

#14 Jul 17, 2013
sez you wrote:
<quoted text>All the same ilk.
Actually not even close.
The county is still primarily a volunteer department.
ACFR staff primarily runs half their staff out of existing volunteer stations.(2/4/6/8) which helps tremendously with the budget. Their combo stations as they have penned them(11/12/15) are 98% career staff and 2% volunteer, and are the huge buildings on the taxpayer dollars, filled with the expensive firetrucks you only see go out one at a time.
The city has a volunteer brigade, however they are rarely utilized, and only run a handful of calls a year. Everything else is a paid position.

Now station 15 was pitched as a combination station, just as 11 and 12 were during their birth. For one reason or the other, most of the volunteers stopped being volunteers with those departments. There are a number of reasons, but most people know why. The Ivy station had even worse luck than the other 2 as far as volunteer staff, to the point they were begging the other local departments for loaner drivers/firefighters. Of course this worked out well when there was no support, and more career staff was hired to fill the spots the public just was unable to cover. 15 soon enough will have 24/7 staffing for an engine/ambulance/tanker.
sez you

Charlottesville, VA

#17 Jul 17, 2013
Todd G wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually not even close.
ACFR staff primarily runs half their staff out of existing volunteer stations.(2/4/6/8) which helps tremendously with the budget. Their combo stations as they have penned them(11/12/15) are 98% career staff and 2% volunteer, and are the huge buildings on the taxpayer dollars, filled with the expensive firetrucks you only see go out one at a time.
The city has a volunteer brigade, however they are rarely utilized, and only run a handful of calls a year. Everything else is a paid position.
Now station 15 was pitched as a combination station, just as 11 and 12 were during their birth. For one reason or the other, most of the volunteers stopped being volunteers with those departments. There are a number of reasons, but most people know why. The Ivy station had even worse luck than the other 2 as far as volunteer staff, to the point they were begging the other local departments for loaner drivers/firefighters. Of course this worked out well when there was no support, and more career staff was hired to fill the spots the public just was unable to cover. 15 soon enough will have 24/7 staffing for an engine/ambulance/tanker.
See, told ya so, and you proved it, thanks, they go pro and the money roles.
thinking free

Braselton, GA

#18 Jul 17, 2013
Todd G wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually not even close.
2, 4, 6, 8 are all volunteer departments that use the county to subsidize their staffing during daylight hours when their members are working, not the other way around.
Get it right or shut the freak up!
Todd G

Charlottesville, VA

#19 Jul 18, 2013
thinking free wrote:
<quoted text>
2, 4, 6, 8 are all volunteer departments that use the county to subsidize their staffing during daylight hours when their members are working, not the other way around.
Get it right or shut the freak up!
I am not quite sure exactly what part you are arguing. I volunteer at one of those stations, so I'm quite familiar with the way they operate, nobody said that it was a career station with volunteers. I said COMBINATION, which is exactly what they are.
thinking free

Burke, VA

#20 Jul 19, 2013
Todd G wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not quite sure exactly what part you are arguing. I volunteer at one of those stations, so I'm quite familiar with the way they operate, nobody said that it was a career station with volunteers. I said COMBINATION, which is exactly what they are.
I would argue that it is not a combination either.
To me, combination is careers and volunteers working side by side 365/24/7. Kind of like what 11, 12, and 15 is suppose to be.
The way it is structured as of now-- Careers are there during the day WHEN volunteers can't provide the staffing and volunteers are there at nights.

“Keeping life realistic”

Location hidden

#21 Jul 19, 2013
thinking free wrote:
<quoted text>
I would argue that it is not a combination either.
To me, combination is careers and volunteers working side by side 365/24/7. Kind of like what 11, 12, and 15 is suppose to be.
The way it is structured as of now-- Careers are there during the day WHEN volunteers can't provide the staffing and volunteers are there at nights.
Todd is right, it is a combo station, after all, that is what Eggleston has pitched for years.
"The model career/volunteer system"
Volunteers are able to run, and do run during the day, during the week. At least one station takes over the calls every couple weeks from the ACFR staff. Another station station will routinely have a crew come in a couple hours early and pull the ACFR staff from the running assignments as well.

11/12/15 were pitched as combo stations to get more money in the coffer that they would not have been able to get as a full career station. Eggleston knows what he's doing when it comes to things like that. He's shifty, but certainly not dumb.
With the changes over the years there has certainly been some alienation from both sides of the career/volunteer line, but the bottom line is, without them being the combo department, there will be nowhere for the current ACFR staff to run calls from, there wouldn't be enough trucks to answer the calls, and the county simply cannot afford to hire enough people to compensate for what is still by majority, a volunteer fire/rescue system. Times are changing, and soon enough every firehouse in the county will have 24hr career staff in it, it's inevitable in order to provide the expected level of service. My son is at station(not Alb county) which has recently gone to 24 hr staffing, and their volunteers hours dropped by nearly 50% in the last 12 months. Can Albemarle really afford to chase away volunteers?
sez you

Macomb, MI

#22 Jul 29, 2013
<quoted text>
Todd is right, it is a combo station, after all, that is what Eggleston has pitched for years.
"The model career/volunteer system"
Volunteers are able to run, and do run during the day, during the week. At least one station takes over the calls every couple weeks from the ACFR staff. Another station station will routinely have a crew come in a couple hours early and pull the ACFR staff from the running assignments as well.
11/12/15 were pitched as combo stations to get more money in the coffer that they would not have been able to get as a full career station. Eggleston knows what he's doing when it comes to things like that. He's shifty, but certainly not dumb.
With the changes over the years there has certainly been some alienation from both sides of the career/volunteer line, but the bottom line is, without them being the combo department, there will be nowhere for the current ACFR staff to run calls from, there wouldn't be enough trucks to answer the calls, and the county simply cannot afford to hire enough people to compensate for what is still by majority, a volunteer fire/rescue system. Times are changing, and soon enough every firehouse in the county will have 24hr career staff in it, it's inevitable in order to provide the expected level of service. My son is at station(not Alb county) which has recently gone to 24 hr staffing, and their volunteers hours dropped by nearly 50% in the last 12 months. Can Albemarle really afford to chase away volunteers?
Yes, and they will.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scottsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hey detective Randy Snead they better detective... (Feb '16) Aug 28 SneadsDad 9
News 5 Secrets of Women with Always-Perfect Hair Aug 27 Stephany McDowell 1
News Charlottesville's Free Trolley to Detour for UV... Aug 18 Jennifer Watkins 1
News Charlottesville City Schools Releases Open Hous... Aug 18 Jennifer Watkins 1
News UVA Encouraging Students to Avoid Wertland St. ... Aug 18 What would Trump do 1
Rob Lowe Sex Offender! (Aug '10) Aug 14 Vickie 16
News Khans blame Donald Trump for growing intoleranc... Aug 11 Palin s Turkey Th... 4

Scottsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Scottsville Mortgages