City Council Agenda: Panhandling, Loitering, Human Rights - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, ...

Full story: NBC29 Charlottesville

Charlottesville City Council is considering ways to deal with bad behaviors caused by panhandling and loitering on the downtown mall.
Comments
21 - 32 of 32 Comments Last updated Nov 20, 2012
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
barack the magic negro

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

i need these people to get me relected to my third term!!
GOP

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

barack the magic negro wrote:
i need these people to get me relected to my third term!!
they been good for 2 now....speck they be around for a 3rd pull.
Third Pull

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

GOP wrote:
<quoted text>
they been good for 2 now....speck they be around for a 3rd pull.

As long as the GOP keeps picking quacks like George W.John McCain and Mitt Rommney, i speck we will.
twinmom

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

I am always ready to give a hand up to a needy person, but the sad truth is that the Beggars of C'ville don't want a hand UP, they want a hand OUT. They already get food stamps, housing, cell phones, computer access, and everything else they need from the Haven, Salvation Army, and Social Services. All they lack is money for booze, cigarettes and drugs, so they harass the mall visitors until they get it. These are not the people who came onto bad times in a poor economy and are trying to get back on their feet. They want to live free and easy, and not be bothered by the schedules and responsibility of working, or learn the social skills that will enable them to live with the rest of society.
Szakos is correct; they do have the right to be there on a public street. But I also have the right to take my business elsewhere. The City Council should be charged with contributing to their delinquency for all of the enabling it does.

The City should take their surplus revenue and GIVE IT BACK TO THE COUNTY, from where they stole it. That would be the honorable thing to do!
red nuckleberry

Penn Laird, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

It's George H.W. Bush's fault: he should have pulled out.
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

My humanity goes only so far, not far enough to enable begging. Those who fall for the lines of woe are enablers, they might be nice people but they only perpetuate the problem.
Dude

Bumpass, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

thinking free wrote:
My humanity goes only so far, not far enough to enable begging. Those who fall for the lines of woe are enablers, they might be nice people but they only perpetuate the problem.
Do you mean like homeless shelters and soup kitchens? It seems you and twinmom have found some common ground.
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Dude wrote:
<quoted text>Do you mean like homeless shelters and soup kitchens? It seems you and twinmom have found some common ground.
No, not the same, shelters and soup kitchens serve a valid purpose in the community, especially these days, begging is a different matter altogether. But you knew that.
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Twin Mom is like most posters who see one aspect of an issue and lump all their perceptions in that same black hole knowing nothing of what they speak. Its just too easy to be dumb.
Dude

Bumpass, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

thinking free wrote:
<quoted text>No, not the same, shelters and soup kitchens serve a valid purpose in the community, especially these days, begging is a different matter altogether. But you knew that.
I do, but I wanted to illustrate a point. I doubt those will so little esteem to which that they would beg are much different than those environmentally and genetically conditioned to patronize such services. They're unlikely the kind that is so often talked about when people talk about the abuses that occur in social programs, which have often been accused of actually being the enabling factors.
On the flipside, the vagrancy and loitering problem on the mall is an enigma and is specifically what keeps me away from patronizing the businesses there. It's designed literally to "hang out" which is effectively loitering, and panhandling is protected by free speech. Since it's public, anti loitering and panhandling rules or statutes can't be enforced, and the patrons that the shops attract are also attracting the vagrants, loiters and vagrants; that is why I call it an enigma.
I wasn't going to weigh in on this topic for that very reason.
Dude

Bumpass, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

oh good grief, I meant *and pandhandlers.
CvilleMechEngr

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

guy wrote:
<quoted text>
I would rather rip my dollar into shreds than allow one of those bums to waste it. Go ahead judge me.
Ok; I judge your reading comprehension skills to be undeveloped. What did you think I was saying? You obviously didn't read what I wrote.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scottsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Albemarle seeks input on changing rules for rur... Tue Buffalo jim 3
NAACP Urges People To Bring Cameras Wherever Ar... Tue Rock 6
Another Example Of A No Tollerence Antis, This ... Aug 22 Clyde Frawg 1
Missing Persons Case Has a Few Twists (Jun '13) Aug 20 Heatherstamper 3
Fletcher Askew dermatologist, pervert Aug 19 Shantane 4
3rd man sentenced in theft of Va. Guard equipme... (May '12) Aug 18 firsthandknowledge 13
Scottsville Man Arrested for Homicide, Child Abuse Aug 13 test 1
•••
•••
•••

Scottsville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Scottsville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••