Study Released on Effects of Year-Round School - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and ...

Two years ago, 25th District Delegate Steve Landes asked for an in-depth study on the benefits and costs of year-round school. Full Story
Sarg

Charlottesville, VA

#1 Dec 21, 2012
"The study shows essentially the same SOL scores in those schools." How does this support year-round schooling? It doesn't. Also, where is the additional money coming from, for (e.g.):additional teacher work-time; school office, janitorial, and cafeteria staff; additional bus-driver compensation; additional bus fuel costs; additional electrical and air conditioning costs? I could go on and on. A non-starter all the way around.
twinmom

Charlottesville, VA

#2 Dec 21, 2012
Give it up, already! Your study (which cost us taxpayers how much?) demonstrated no benefits, yet you persist in trying to make this change by commisioning more studies to see if some districts might benefit. If you try to make this change you will then have to deal with the parents, who are absolutely hate the year-round schedule. It is difficult to find child care for breaks that are 2 weeks here and three weeks there. Then there are the teachers, many of whom love their long summer breaks. If you keep trying to push this, it will just end up in a huge argument between the school administration and parents & teachers, and lots of wasted dollars that could be put into real instruction.
Cville mom

Charlottesville, VA

#3 Dec 21, 2012
Sarg wrote:
"The study shows essentially the same SOL scores in those schools." How does this support year-round schooling? It doesn't. Also, where is the additional money coming from, for (e.g.):additional teacher work-time; school office, janitorial, and cafeteria staff; additional bus-driver compensation; additional bus fuel costs; additional electrical and air conditioning costs? I could go on and on. A non-starter all the way around.
There are the same number of school days so the cost is the same. It's just divided differently. My kids went to year-round school in NC. The new school year started the first week in July. There were 3 breaks lasting 3 weeks and 1 lasting a little longer. The first week of break was a mandatory catch up week for kids who were behind. The second week was an optional enrichment week that you could pay to attend. The programs were like science camp. These programs took the place of summer school programs. I prefer a traditional school calendar but for younger kids this schedule was nice. It was a lot of fun to have those long Spring and fall breaks to do off season vacations.
Not a Repubtard

New York, NY

#4 Dec 21, 2012
Another dumb Republican spending money on a worthless study! I bet you will see alot of drop outs, if this should pass in congress.
Doc

Charlottesville, VA

#5 Dec 22, 2012
I would say they studied school that was spread out for a year, rather than year-round school.
We know the disadvantaged students will do better with by eliminating long breaks. We need to be more progressive in how we consider scheduling, including students getting time off regardless of what would be best for them.
JCS

Charlottesville, VA

#6 Dec 22, 2012
Most of these posts show their lack of year-round schools around the world ... the Europeans and the Japanese have year-round school and it is no wonder why they are much ahead of us in so many areas. Their systems work, our system is failing our students. Can you imagine how this is going to effect them for years to come? The teachers today are not focused on ensuring that their students are prepared for life. Year-round school should be the first thing we do to improve out students!
KAC

Charlottesville, VA

#7 Dec 22, 2012
Good luck on trying to take vacation time from your job when your kids are on vacation. Everyone at your job will be puting in for the same time off and not everyone will be approved. Also, if you want to sign your kid up for a week of summer camp, and the week you want your kid to go they cant go because they have to go to school on that week.
the truth

Charlottesville, VA

#8 Dec 22, 2012
JCS wrote:
Most of these posts show their lack of year-round schools around the world ... the Europeans and the Japanese have year-round school and it is no wonder why they are much ahead of us in so many areas. Their systems work, our system is failing our students. Can you imagine how this is going to effect them for years to come? The teachers today are not focused on ensuring that their students are prepared for life. Year-round school should be the first thing we do to improve out students!
Thats true in the south, education and mental health are way down on the list of public concern.
George S

Hartselle, AL

#9 Dec 22, 2012
Results of year-round school?

--A marked increase in the national suicide rate

--A marked increase in the national drug and alcohol addiction rate

--Happy teachers who love the paychecks
Gnu

Charlottesville, VA

#10 Dec 23, 2012
Study Released on Effects of Year-Round School :
Kids got smarter and stayed out of trouble longer.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scottsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Charlottesville population has increased by ten... Jan 28 Terradive 1
Charlottesville City Council addresses city's h... Jan 22 Terrabyte 1
subway worker Jan 20 mommy 1
Dialogue on Race: Effectiveness of Protests in ... Jan 19 cops are liars an... 2
Massive Spike In Whites Setting Blacks On Fire Dec '14 Sam 2
Augusta Man Faces Felony Sex Charges - NBC29 WV... (Nov '12) Dec '14 stuart Draft 6
Happy Holidays Dec '14 Stan0807 1
Scottsville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Scottsville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 12:40 pm PST