Inmates Graduate from UVA Business Pi...

Inmates Graduate from UVA Business Pilot Program

There are 64 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from May 9, 2013, titled Inmates Graduate from UVA Business Pilot Program. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

Friday, 32 female inmates in Fluvanna County can call themselves college graduates.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Hope

Waynesboro, VA

#1 May 10, 2013
Maybe I should break the law, become a criminal so I can get my education handed to me. Instead I'm out here working a full time job, abiding by the rules, and busting my behind to put myself through PVCC. Absolutely insane.
cville citizen

Atlanta, GA

#2 May 10, 2013
so sorry im WORKING a JOB to PAY my BILLS and don't have time to go to college , get a degree and a better one. but SOOO glad to know that MY tax money is paying for a no good in jail to come out better off than i am by obeying the law
sez you

Charlottesville, VA

#3 May 10, 2013
Their handing out degrees now so hookers can balance their checkbooks. Progress
WTH

United States

#4 May 10, 2013
cville citizen wrote:
so sorry im WORKING a JOB to PAY my BILLS and don't have time to go to college , get a degree and a better one. but SOOO glad to know that MY tax money is paying for a no good in jail to come out better off than i am by obeying the law
This program is funded by 'The Sunshine Foundation'(public donations). I see no mention of tax dollars funding this. I still think it's wrong to provide free anything to people in prison. They are supposed to be PUNISHED for their wrong-doings, NOT REWARDED. Backwards world we are living in.
Madison

South Saint Paul, MN

#5 May 10, 2013
It's a joke to read the comments posted on most stories. It may be your busting your butt, because rather than show compassion, you complain about your own circumstance. Maybe you too can receive blessings when you begin to show happiness for others who achieve some level of success to a better path.
I think I read that the program is funded by Warren Buffet's sister, therefore, no one's tax dollars are supporting this effort to help someone learn from their mistakes.
Lastly, until one walks in the shoes of another, do not judge; it is really not your place.
These individuals committed their crimes, and are paying for it. They also volunteered to participate in programs that will better themselves, and open doors that were locked. These women are choosing to try something new, and try to not get out without hope, something this program has given them. Don't be jealous, cause that's ugly, and God don't like ugly, which is why you are not chosen to be blessed with their fortunate, yet,unfortunate circumstance. Just saying, stop all the negative thoughts, really!
sez you

Charlottesville, VA

#6 May 10, 2013
Be sure to look for these degrees on the wall when you walk into McDonalds.
Jest

Chase City, VA

#7 May 10, 2013
sez you wrote:
Be sure to look for these degrees on the wall when you walk into McDonalds.
LOL, I'd bet good money that you don't even have a degree. Loser.
legal watch

Minneapolis, MN

#9 May 10, 2013
WTH Go to prison and get a UVA degree.
John Teller

Martinsville, VA

#10 May 10, 2013
Everyone deserves a second chance, most of these women came from tough childhoods and what not. Good luck to them. Hope someone gives them a decent job when they get out.
sez you

Charlottesville, VA

#11 May 10, 2013
Problem, a lot of employers these days won't hire folks with criminal histories.
sez you

Charlottesville, VA

#12 May 10, 2013
Jest wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL, I'd bet good money that you don't even have a degree. Loser.
Too many to count.
OKJ

Braselton, GA

#13 May 10, 2013
sez you wrote:
<quoted text>Too many to count.
Really? You literally have so many degrees you can't count them all? And what do you do with that wealth of knowledge?
annonymous

Atlanta, GA

#14 May 10, 2013
legal watch wrote:
WTH Go to prison and get a UVA degree.
A "certificate" showing you have had some business classes is not a DEGREE from UVa, the article did not say they received degrees
sez you

Charlottesville, VA

#15 May 10, 2013
OKJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? You literally have so many degrees you can't count them all? And what do you do with that wealth of knowledge?
Sorry, you haven't earned a responce to that here.
Dogs are Great

Shelby, NC

#16 May 10, 2013
Glad to see that our institutions are trying to help our inmates instead of just locking them up and forgetting them! When they reenter society this is going to be so helpful and hopefully reduce recidivism. Their time was used for something productive, not just wasting away in a prison cell. Thank you Fluvanna County and PVCC for offering this.

For the people who don't like this: would you rather have someone who had the opportunity to turn themselves around and take their education seriously so when they get out they can be productive citizens or do you want them out on the streets with their old, same behavior! These people are your neighbors....your community members - do not shun them out, that only makes the problem worse! They are obviously trying to turn some point of their life around - do not deny them the opportunity! Most of them will get out at some point so help them now so they have a chance when their release date comes.
Just saying

Waynesboro, VA

#17 May 10, 2013
So what all these nay Sayers are saying is that no one deserves a second chance, when someone does wrong they should ONLY be punished and treated negatively with no form of rehab or positive structure for those people to become better citizens. This is a program that will most likely prevent repeat offenders . A program that is funded by Warren Buffets sister. Look up Warren Buffet if you don't know who he is . We should be applauding these women and the positive change they are trying to make for themselves which in turn is good for the community. Everyone makes mistakes, big enough to land in jail or just regret later, either way judgement is not ours to make. We don't know these women, what they may have been through or why they made the choices they made to put them in their current situation and frankly, it's nobody's business's. try seeing the bright side of this positive story instead of bing a negative nancy.
Only in the USA

Ivy, VA

#18 May 10, 2013
Its funny myself and my wife work every day.What little college we do have we had to struggle to get. Most don't know if we can even help our children get through college we never broke a law but the ones who did can go to jail and 9 chances out of ten your a felon you cant vote you cant own a fire arm but a convict can have a free ride at college education not just at PVCC but at UVA what's wrong with this picture straight honor role students cant get in there unless they can pay 40,000 a year but we already pay for them to eat ,set in ac watch television and have free programs to better themselves but the honest hard working man or woman cant has to struggle to help there children that want to go to a good college that work there ass of to go to a collage and cant afford to go but because our society feels sorry for people who cant control their compulsions or actions and break laws they get the free ride on tax payers money donation or not they still were transported free guards had to be paid to watch the inmates jail should be a place nobody wants to go to but with rewards like this hell who wouldn't want to go its a free ride with a benefit package!
what

Ivy, VA

#19 May 10, 2013
Just saying wrote:
So what all these nay Sayers are saying is that no one deserves a second chance, when someone does wrong they should ONLY be punished and treated negatively with no form of rehab or positive structure for those people to become better citizens. This is a program that will most likely prevent repeat offenders . A program that is funded by Warren Buffets sister. Look up Warren Buffet if you don't know who he is . We should be applauding these women and the positive change they are trying to make for themselves which in turn is good for the community. Everyone makes mistakes, big enough to land in jail or just regret later, either way judgement is not ours to make. We don't know these women, what they may have been through or why they made the choices they made to put them in their current situation and frankly, it's nobody's business's. try seeing the bright side of this positive story instead of bing a negative nancy.
Hell I guess you got your free ride the same way jail isn't suppose to pleasant its suppose to suck not be a free ride for law breakers.

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#20 May 10, 2013
Really, I am all for second chances for people who have paid their debt to society. If Ms. Buffett wants to help, her program should pay for their classes AFTER they get out of prison. But I have a feeling most of these women would decline the opportunity once they have their freedom.
Hopefully

Charlottesville, VA

#21 May 10, 2013
I am hearing that we as a society do not benefit if inmates are rehabilitated and ready for re-integration back into society thru the educational process. Hmm. so lets use more taxpayer dollars for this poor public policy. It is less costly to embrace and support people who understand they broke a "rule" (law) but also want to do something that gives them a path to stability and productivity.

Also children who see what education means to an incarcerated parent, will then come to value their own education more.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scottsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Statue Vote is Racists Sun Uber-bro of the u... 3
News Charlottesville businessman who admitted to ste... May 19 bert 2
Cville Vice Mayor: Convicted criminal, racist, ... May 16 bulk 2
News Former Bus Driver Charged with Indecent Liberti... (May '13) May 8 Gbc 44
Help an Aspiring Charlottesville Author and Ge... May 7 BillyDeCarlo 1
News CRCC to Meet with Congressional Leaders May 2 Morris 1
News Fluvanna Parents Petition Supervisors for Schoo... (Mar '13) Apr 30 Curtis 74

Scottsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Scottsville Mortgages