Police Investigate Scottsville Road A...

Police Investigate Scottsville Road Accident - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and We...

There are 48 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Apr 20, 2012, titled Police Investigate Scottsville Road Accident - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and We.... In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

A crash involving several cars in Scottsville sent an elderly man to the hospital Friday morning.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

Joanna

Charlottesville, VA

#21 Apr 20, 2012
Thanks Beth. Your prayers are needed.
beth wrote:
I feel so much for you Joanna and Daughter. I am Corey and Maddie's neighbor and i told her that if there is anything i can do to let me know. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you
Concerned Daughter

Newport News, VA

#22 Apr 20, 2012
My father was in the car that the 2 main cars hit. He told me all about it and was in complete shock.I just wanted to send prayers to the man in the hospital. My dad felt so helpless so i told him all we could do was pray for him and his family. I hope he recovers and that you all can make it through this tragic event.
Shaking my head

Keswick, VA

#23 Apr 21, 2012
The gentleman in question lives directly behind me and I have known him for a few decades. He is the kind of man that will do anything for anybody and I can tell you he is NOT the type of driver who would be distracted while driving. I have five vehicles and when I pass him on the road he always knows it is me, no matter what I am driving. That is called attentive. You people who like to throw pop bottles from the cheap seats, and use old tired phrases about older drivers need to know this. He does not fit into your cookie cutter mold of older people. Offer your prayers, offer your sympathy, offer your help, but if all you can offer is drivel about a man you don't know, keep your mouth shut! You should wish to be half this man when you become half his age!!
Send Up A Prayer

Keswick, VA

#24 Apr 21, 2012
When I first heard about this accident involving this longtime friend of our family, the first thing I said is something MUST have happened. A heart attack or some major heath event. His age has nothing to do with his ability to drive. Indeed there are some people, of ALL ages that should not be on the road, but this fine gentleman does not fit your stereotyping. Stop throwing stones and send up some prayers. To the family and other friends, we send you our caring thoughts and prayers.
Joanna

Charlottesville, VA

#25 Apr 21, 2012
Thank you so much. Your kind words mean so much to me and my family.
Concerned Daughter wrote:
My father was in the car that the 2 main cars hit. He told me all about it and was in complete shock.I just wanted to send prayers to the man in the hospital. My dad felt so helpless so i told him all we could do was pray for him and his family. I hope he recovers and that you all can make it through this tragic event.
Joanna

Charlottesville, VA

#26 Apr 21, 2012
Thank you to all of the people who have said these wonderful things about my grandfather. It does my heart good to know how much you think of him. Thanks you so much for your paryers and kind thoughts.
For those of you who were so juding, I prayed for you last night. And I asked God to clear your mind and your heart and to never allow you to experience something like this.
My grandfater is a great man. My first love. I am so blessed at my age to have my grandparents. I am so blessed to have them by my side every step of my life. They are my best friends. Please continue to pray. There is power in Gods word
Maddy

Ferrum, VA

#27 Apr 21, 2012
Thanks for all the support Beth! Your a great neighbor and friend! And clearly have some sense since you got the story from me 1st before commenting! Accidents happen all the time and its such a shame...but to bash an old man mearly for being old and blaming it on him when it wasnt and still isnt exactly sure what caused the accident...people should be ashamed of themselves! How would you all feel when ur 80 some years old...we'll just take ur liscence an put you in a nursing home to rot and see how you all like it since old people should be off the roads! Just like to remind everyone that anyone can crash at any time for any reason...its called an accident for a reason and people should be a little more sympathetic to those who are hurting in this situation and others...it could be you!
anotherscottsvil lian

Earlysville, VA

#28 Apr 21, 2012
My prayers are with the daughter and granddaughter of the man who suffered the heart attack and ran the stop sign. It could happen to any of us. I just hope that he'll be ok. I will continue praying for him (and the family). God Bless!
Central VA Marine

Palmyra, VA

#29 Apr 21, 2012
To all families and victims involved, let me express my sympathys a prayers.
Some people tend to spout off prior to getting all of the facts because they can. To jump to conclusions and say we need a special test for senior drivers, and find a person guilty because of their age is evidence of that (Note to viewers and readers; WVIR-TV has news reporters, and does not take responsibility for partial stories).

The other point I want to make is to the family; specially the daughters of the victim. We do not know each other, but I want to say I am very proud of your posts and comments. I understand your hurt and worry, and most Central Virginians are sending good thoughts and prayers your way. I am sure your father is very proud of you. Your comments indicate that your parents have done a wonderful job.

Keep good thoughts, and know that caring people are beside you and sending love to you and your family.
just sayin

Crozet, VA

#30 Apr 21, 2012
Being from Scottsville, I have known Mr. Oslin all my life. I'm praying for him and hoping that he'll recover and will be out of the hospital soon. Only God knows why things happen as they do--prayers and best wishes to Mr. Oslin and to his wife and family.
scottsvillian

United States

#31 Apr 21, 2012
I know both individuals in this accident. What I saw was a pickup truck traveling south on Rt. 20 collide with a car that was crossing Rt. 20 (from the east). I was at the stop sign at James River Road on the west side of Rt. 20. I have witnessed over twenty accidents at this intersection and it is past time something is done about it. In my opinion the accident wasn't anyone's fault. At the time of the accident, I was in my vehicle trying to make a right hand turn onto Rt. 20 North. Nobody was in front or in back of my vehicle.
Jackie

Boones Mill, VA

#32 Apr 21, 2012
Jackson wrote:
im a 14 year old grandson of the man that was in the accident you all are bashing him ans **** well how do you think he fills right now in the ICU and how do you think my mom and grandma and greatgrandma fill could you imagine what it would be like to see your husban,dad,grandfather like this so why dont you all exept beth all learn some RESPCT you bunch of bithes
Praying for your family! We live here in Scottsville and we know your grandfather he is a WONDERFUL man.. When we were kids he would come by on Saturdays and collect insurance money.. Such a good person..
Daughter

Ferrum, VA

#33 Apr 21, 2012
To everyone who has supported our family through the pass two days and the days to come I send out a heart felt thank you. Anyone who knew Jimmie Oslin knew I was blessed with the best father a child could ever hope for. Pray for Mama because she will need all the love and support from all of us. After almost 61 years of marriage this is so very hard for her. My parents love the people and the town of Scottsvile more than you can imagine. Unfortunately my Dad is losing his final battle. Please pray for him on this journey he is about to under take. Thanks again to everyone. Sharon
just sayin

Crozet, VA

#34 Apr 21, 2012
Daughter wrote:
To everyone who has supported our family through the pass two days and the days to come I send out a heart felt thank you. Anyone who knew Jimmie Oslin knew I was blessed with the best father a child could ever hope for. Pray for Mama because she will need all the love and support from all of us. After almost 61 years of marriage this is so very hard for her. My parents love the people and the town of Scottsvile more than you can imagine. Unfortunately my Dad is losing his final battle. Please pray for him on this journey he is about to under take. Thanks again to everyone. Sharon
So sorry to hear that Mr. Oslin is losing his final battle--however, his new (and final) destination will surely bring him much joy and freedom from any pain that he is suffering. Prayers to Arlene, Sharon and Joanna during this difficult time.
beth

Ruckersville, VA

#35 Apr 21, 2012
Sharon i am so sorry to hear that. i was praying for you all day today. I know that is very hard to go through, like i said this morning if there is anything that i can do please let me know.
daughter

Ferrum, VA

#36 Apr 21, 2012
I have come to the conclusion I really do not like you. My Dad was not headed south on Rt. 20. He was crossing the intersection and had a heart attack. Please discontinue to speaking about something you do not know anything about. My family is in great pain and I ask you stop. Does this make you feel good about yourself, Maybe I should not be angry which I am. Just leave my family alone. Sharon
Scottsvillian Too

Hardy, VA

#37 Apr 22, 2012
scottsvillian wrote:
I witnessed this accident. The elderly man in question was traveling south on Rt. 20. HE WAS NOT ON JAMES RIVER ROAD. He may have been turning left from Rt. 20 onto James River Road. Who reported this?
I wish all the facts would come out. Trying to piece this together. You say the truck was traveling south on 20. Where was the SUV that collided with him coming from? Normally, you would think, the gentleman in the truck would have been crossing 20 from 795 (James River Rd) as that is how he would have traveled from home. But he may have gone somewhere and was returning home.

I have known the man for years. He and his wife are some of the nicest, most caring and giving you would ever meet. He suffered a heart attack - I wonder if that is what caused the accident or was it a result of the trauma? He is literally fighting for his life. My prayers are with him and his family.
Third Vehicle

Farmville, VA

#38 Apr 22, 2012
Sharon, Although I dont know you, I was involved in the accident your father was in. I was in the truck opposing him at the stop sign in front of BBT. I am also the only witness that stayed to make sure everyone was alright and tell the police what I had witnessed. There were many cars on the road at 9am, it surprised me that no one else stopped that may have seen something. Your Dad was waiting at the stop sign on James River rd with at least 1 car behind him when I stopped at opposing stop sign. I checked and there was traffic heading South towards us (from Cville) so I looked down main st to check that way. Before I looked back, your dads truck was moving out in front of oncoming traffic. The car traveling south (kia) on twenty hit your dads truck without time to brake. It seemed that your Dad's gas pedal was down as he kept moving even after they both ran into my truck at opposing stop sign. The KIA stopped after pushing me about 4 feet over, your Dads truck kept going over the signs and stopped by a tree. He was not going fast, just more than if he was rolling. I got out and checked the drivers, luckily there was an ambulance parked on James River Road so the EMTs were with your Dad immediately. I hope this helps you a bit. Do not listen to people who don't have time to stop and help in a tragedy, but feel they can comment after the fact when it is more convenient to their pathetic existence. The police have all my info if you need or want to contact me. I am so sorry this happened to your Dad.
Daughter

Ferrum, VA

#39 Apr 22, 2012
Thank you so much for responding. My Mama has worried so much about everyone else that was in the accident. Thank you for confirming what we had figured out but was not sure of. I am so sorry for what eveyone experienced. But I am so gratefuly for your confirmation of what we thought had happened. I am so glad to have an eye witness. Thank you for staying with my Dad. He is so broken. They are trying so hard to make him better but he is hurt so bad. I love him so much as his whole family does and I cannot tell you how difficult it for us. He is so strong in his love for his family. He cannot respond to us except by squeezing our hand. He is trying so hard. Say a pray and know this family is grateful to you. Good night. Sharon
Joanna Granddaughter

Charlottesville, VA

#40 Apr 22, 2012
Thank you for staying and checking on my grandfather. It takes a strong person to witness something like that and help. My family is touched by your kindness and for reaching out to us. My grandfather is an amazing man. The out poor of support from community and friends is overwhelming. My grandparents live in a wonderful town surrounded by kind and caring people. Thank you will never be enough.
Third Vehicle wrote:
Sharon, Although I dont know you, I was involved in the accident your father was in. I was in the truck opposing him at the stop sign in front of BBT. I am also the only witness that stayed to make sure everyone was alright and tell the police what I had witnessed. There were many cars on the road at 9am, it surprised me that no one else stopped that may have seen something. Your Dad was waiting at the stop sign on James River rd with at least 1 car behind him when I stopped at opposing stop sign. I checked and there was traffic heading South towards us (from Cville) so I looked down main st to check that way. Before I looked back, your dads truck was moving out in front of oncoming traffic. The car traveling south (kia) on twenty hit your dads truck without time to brake. It seemed that your Dad's gas pedal was down as he kept moving even after they both ran into my truck at opposing stop sign. The KIA stopped after pushing me about 4 feet over, your Dads truck kept going over the signs and stopped by a tree. He was not going fast, just more than if he was rolling. I got out and checked the drivers, luckily there was an ambulance parked on James River Road so the EMTs were with your Dad immediately. I hope this helps you a bit. Do not listen to people who don't have time to stop and help in a tragedy, but feel they can comment after the fact when it is more convenient to their pathetic existence. The police have all my info if you need or want to contact me. I am so sorry this happened to your Dad.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scottsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
White Castle coming to Charlottesville? Jun 20 Uva girl 2
Wes Bellamy - The repeatedly arrested Vice Mayo... Jun 19 NotWesBellamy 1
Town of fishersville Jun 19 Guest 1
Fletcher Askew dermatologist, pervert (May '14) Jun 18 Steve 6
News Panhandling at Stop Lights Raises Enforcement Q... (May '13) Jun 16 DEVGOD 136
Trump wants you to watch and inform on your nei... Jun 16 Sad Day for US 1
Bamboo in Charlottesville? Jun 15 Jungle Boy 2

Scottsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Scottsville Mortgages