Would you vote for alcohol sales in S...

Would you vote for alcohol sales in Scottsville if it were put on ballot

Created by Spuds Mckinsy on Jun 2, 2013

317 votes

Click on an option to vote

Yes

No

regressive dude

United States

#41 Jun 9, 2013
Free Country wrote:
It is a free country we live in. Wet or Dry is for the voters. Drinking is the choice of the individual. People get it mixed up with drunks. Drunks are drunks and will get a drink wet or dry. The issue is social drinking at restaurants and how many miles a person will have to drive to get it. Some people want to tell all others how to act and what they can do about everything. Its America lets have a little freedom.
"Free Country" said, "It is a free country we live in"......

......"Some people want to tell all others how to act and what they can do about everything".

"Free Country", Kentucky law leaves it to the voters of a county or a city to determine whether they want to live in a wet or a dry community.

We are a nation of laws. The law protects your freedom.

The voters Of Allen County and Scottville deciced a long time ago that they wanted to it be dry here.

That is the American way, "Free Country", The --majority-- of the citizens deciding how they want things to be. That is freedom in action.

Does all that freedom going on around you bother you, "Free Country"?

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#42 Jun 9, 2013
regressive dude wrote:
<quoted text>
"Free Country" said, "It is a free country we live in"......
......"Some people want to tell all others how to act and what they can do about everything".
"Free Country", Kentucky law leaves it to the voters of a county or a city to determine whether they want to live in a wet or a dry community.
The voters Of Allen County and Scottville deciced a long time ago that they wanted to it be dry here.
That is the American way, "Free Country", The --majority-- of the citizens deciding how they want things to be. That is freedom in action.
What is at work here is a battle between individual freedom and the will of the majority.

Individual freedom says that if I want to have a beer that is my choice.
I also have a freedom to move to a town or county that allows the sale of alcohol.

I have the right to go to a wet town and drink (not drink and drive) or purchase alcohol and bring it home.

Group freedom or Majority rule says we have the freedom or right granted by the 21st amendment to decide if our state, county, or city is wet. We have the right to start a petition and have the law changed by voting on it.

I hope the person or persons who are starting the paperwork are successful in getting the measure on the ballot for the people to decide. We should not harbor any ill will towards them. They are making sure that voices get heard. That is what freedom is all about. If you feel it is a bad idea then all you would need to do is go and vote NO. Simple as that.

I will be interested to see how this plays out. Either way it will be democracy in action. As stated before the people of this area voted long ago to keep this town dry. Obviously this town is no longer the town that it once was. Many could argue that it has changed for the worse. What will bringing booze into the town do? Only time will tell.

One thing it will do is change forever the communities of Scottsville and Allen County. Once we go wet we will never go back to being dry. What happens if it is a bad thing?

“Bored to tears”

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#43 Jun 10, 2013
regressive dude wrote:
<quoted text>"Free Country" said, "It is a free country we live in"......

Laws protect your freedom? Tell that to the 37 year old single mother of two who was forced to watch her two girls get raped by a black guy who broke into her home in Chicago last week.

She used to own a pistol and was forced to turn that in after moving there from Virginia.

I wonder, if the strict gun laws weren't in place in Illinois... Would she have been able to protect her family?

Compounding laws do nothing but separate us. They never end.
regressive dude

Warrenton, VA

#44 Jun 10, 2013
Smokey2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Laws protect your freedom? Tell that to the 37 year old single mother of two who was forced to watch her two girls get raped by a black guy who broke into her home in Chicago last week.
She used to own a pistol and was forced to turn that in after moving there from Virginia.
I wonder, if the strict gun laws weren't in place in Illinois... Would she have been able to protect her family?
Compounding laws do nothing but separate us. They never end.
Yes, "Smokey2", We are a "Nation of Laws"

Yes, "Smokey2", Laws do protect our freedoms and rights.

I fail to see how a heinous crime of rape that (allegedly) happened in Chicago has any bearing on the debate as whether Scottsville should be wet or dry. That's like comparing apples to peanuts -- but if you want to talk about Chicago we can.

Chicago is the --crime capital-- of the free world. It is a human cesspool. If you keep up with the news you know that what we have in Chicago is a complete breakdown of law and order. Having inadequate enforcement of the law to protect the law abiding citizens is the problem in Chicago.

More American citizens lost their lives to violence in Chicago last year than lost their lives in Afghanistan (a country the size of California) where we are involved in a war.

Chicago has gun control, but in no way does it have control of the guns. They will never achieve that with their wrong-headed "progressive" policies.

By the way, "Smokey2", Do you suppose the people of Chicago had a --local option election-- to see if they wanted to give up their constitutionally guaranteed right "to keep and bear arms"?

WE know they DID NOT. Those people's gun rights were taken away by "progressive" (liberal) politicians. They lost their guns to --progressive-- government run amok.

This isn't an argument about gun control -- this is about whether a majority of the citizens want legal booze in Scottsville.

Remember that "Sheepdog" said that Wet county= progressive. So I wonder, since Chicago is run by progressives, does he think that we should be more like Chicago?

No doubt Chicago has booze flowing as freely as water flowing down the Mississippi. Does that make Chicago a safer, better place to live? We know it doesn't.

What do you suppose would happen in Chicago if all legal sales of booze were stopped. Would crime increase? I think not. Would crime rates drop? Most likely they would.

My guess is that probably 90 percent of the crimes committed in Chicago are committed by thugs, punks, and criminals who get their courage up from a bottle of booze or some other mind altering substance.

I hear a lot of complaining on this Topix Forum about what a crappy backward place Scottsville is. But I don't see any of that pessimism when I come to town. What I see is a lot of mostly happy people who love their little hometown and want to keep it pretty much as it is.

I have friends and relatives who have lived and worked here all their lives. I don't hear from them the negativity that I'm reading on Topix. Most of the complaining is coming from a small minority here on Topix

No one is stopping you, me, or anyone, who lives in Scottsville or Allen County from buying and consuming alcohol. All that most of the decent citizens want is for people to consume it responsibly, in their homes, and then stay off the roads until they are fit to drive again.

We have the ability to do that now.
tinponyrider

Westmoreland, TN

#45 Jun 11, 2013
Hummmmmm what a percentage......
tinponyrider

Westmoreland, TN

#46 Jun 13, 2013
Hehehehee.
Just me 2013

Westmoreland, TN

#47 Jun 26, 2013
Of course I would. ITS RIDICULOUS that in 2013 we still are dry. Like people don't go and get booze and bring it in. Thats why this HOLE is still just a HOLE.

BRING THE BOOZE IN. Help the city and county grow. More people, more jobs, more businesses.

Prohibition DIDN'T WORK PEOPLE!!!!!
who cares anymore

Westmoreland, TN

#48 Jun 26, 2013
Absolutely NO
ALERT we have a dumb ass

Bethpage, TN

#49 Jun 27, 2013
I think don't be Fooled is scared his Preacher might see him drinking a mixed drink WHEN BRICK-YARD gets open AND SERVES ALCOHOL...why you think they are coming....They are the keepers of the gate that is about to be torn down and let PROSPERITY in! WAL-MART is also coming! Beside the High-way garage on 31E
Move Outta This Hole

Warrenton, VA

#50 Jun 28, 2013
Just me 2013 wrote:
Of course I would. ITS RIDICULOUS that in 2013 we still are dry. Like people don't go and get booze and bring it in. Thats why this HOLE is still just a HOLE.
BRING THE BOOZE IN. Help the city and county grow. More people, more jobs, more businesses.
Prohibition DIDN'T WORK PEOPLE!!!!!
"Just me 2013" said, "Prohibition DIDN'T WORK PEOPLE!!!!!"

It didn't? How do you figure that? It works just fine.

We still have prohibition against legal alcohol sales in the city and the county -- and have had as far back as I can remember -- because that's the way the majority of the voters want it to be.

Prohibition works fine here in Allen County and Scottsville.

I think it is just great that we are dry. I expect we will still be dry here for a long time to come.

Maybe you out to move out of this "hole" and go somewhere more to your liking.
FYI

Bowling Green, KY

#51 Jun 29, 2013
Scottsville wasn't 'dry' until Prohibition. For many years Beer was sold at Carpenter Dent right on the sqaure and nobody had a problem with it. Then prohibition came and Scottsivlle didn't change back. but there wasnt a problem with it before right wing politics made one.
regressive dude

United States

#52 Jun 29, 2013
FYI wrote:
Scottsville wasn't 'dry' until Prohibition. For many years Beer was sold at Carpenter Dent right on the sqaure and nobody had a problem with it. Then prohibition came and Scottsivlle didn't change back. but there wasnt a problem with it before right wing politics made one.
Prohibition in the United States was in place from 1920 to 1933. It ended about eighty years ago.

So you can remember that, can you "FYI"?

"FYI" said, "Beer was sold at Carpenter Dent right on the sqaure and nobody had a problem with it."

Apparently some folks had a problem with it, or they wouldn't have decided to stay dry when national prohibition ended.

The dry movement was led by rural Protestants in both political parties. I repeat, both political parties, supported prohibition, "FYI". So how do you figure that was "right wing politics"?

The laws in Kentucky allow local communities to decide if they want to be wet or dry, by a vote of the majority.

But the concept of majority rule seems to bother you pro wet people, you "progressives".

If you think there is majority support for Scottsville being wet then get up a petition, bring it to a vote, and make it legal. I can live with that, if it's what the majority of the people want.

If supporting the notion that the majority has the say on issues is a "right wing" idea, then I must be a right winger. I believe in it. It's always been the American way.
Really

Westmoreland, TN

#53 Jun 29, 2013
Actually, Scottsville was dry since before the Civil War. Read up on your history folks. Try a Pictorial History of Allen County for one thing. There's a copy of a letter in the back of the book from a time capsule that was burried almost a hundred years ago and I believe the letter states that at that time, Scottsville had been dry for 70 years.

“Bootleggin Ginseng Digger”

Since: Nov 10

Box Town

#54 Jun 29, 2013
Really wrote:
Actually, Scottsville was dry since before the Civil War. Read up on your history folks. Try a Pictorial History of Allen County for one thing. There's a copy of a letter in the back of the book from a time capsule that was burried almost a hundred years ago and I believe the letter states that at that time, Scottsville had been dry for 70 years.
That is true fellers,
Allen Co. un Scottsville along wiff my citie Box Town half been dry fer yeers un yeers.
All these lies un inuendoe are beein spread bye all them their vote wet fellers.
Wiff there fast cars, fancy clothes, smooth talk, un wild women they are tryin to trick all the good citusens in our community to vote fer that there evul legul licker sellin in our en towns un communities.
DO NOT let em fool ya fellers.
Go now to yer en voting shack un
VOTE DRY!!

Since: Jul 13

Lafayette, TN

#55 Jul 4, 2013
the churches and the board is the one who is hurting this town because they won't let scottsville go wet.
look around every towns around us is growing because they sell alcohol and they let business come in, every towns has walmart does Scottsville no because the board don't want them here
Marke Twane

United States

#56 Jul 5, 2013
pore ole rickie stinson from Fountain run Ky said,

"the churches and the board is the one who is hurting this town because they won't let scottsville go wet."

rickie apparently believes in the fiction that all that keeps Scottsville from being like Franklin, Bowling Green, or Chicago is having legal booze in the town.

pore misguided rickie continues,

"look around every towns around us is growing because they sell alcohol and they let business come in, every towns has walmart does Scottsville no because the board don't want them here"

rickie, Franklin, in just the last few years went wet, but Franklin has had a Walmart for at least forty years. Legal booze had nothing to do with it locating there.

Portland, Tennessee, on the other hand, has been wet as far back as I can remember and they have no Walmart. Much of the success of the Franklin Walmart is due to all those Tennessee rednecks coming to Franklin to shop.

Tell me this rickie, If a town being wet attracts Walmart like a big pile of fresh mule poop draws flies, then where is Portland's Walmart? Why don't they have one?

Franklin has more manufacturing facilities than you can count on your fingers and toes, rickie.

All of those factories came to Franklin before the town was wet. So being wet had absolutely nothing to do with those factories locating there.

Most of the folks who live in Scottsville like it here. They like our little town pretty much as it is. Those of you who don't like it ought to just stop your whining, get up off your hineys and move to a place where, maybe you can be happy.

Stop trying to change our quiet, happy little town into something to suit the complainers, losers, and malcontents.

If you suceeded in changing it, you still wouldn't be happy, and your unhappiness would be someone elses fault. You'd still blame the "the churches and the board".
tinponyrider

Westmoreland, TN

#57 Jul 5, 2013
"Portland, Tennessee, on the other hand, has been wet as far back as I can remember and they have no Walmart. Much of the success of the Franklin Walmart is due to all those Tennessee rednecks coming to Franklin to shop." Hummmm, probably because people from Tennessee come to Kentucky to shop because of the sales tax and no tax on food. Who would have thought it. Do you think that the rednecks from Scottsville and Franklin contribute to the success of Wally World? What do you think there, Redneck?
Marke Twane

Warrenton, VA

#58 Jul 7, 2013
TPR, repeating what I said, wrote,

"Portland, Tennessee, on the other hand, has been wet as far back as I can remember and they have no Walmart. Much of the success of the Franklin Walmart is due to all those Tennessee rednecks coming to Franklin to shop."

Yes TPR, I am a redneck, proudly so, but that's beside the point.

You still didn't answer my question,

"If a town being wet attracts Walmart like a big pile of fresh mule poop draws flies, then where is Portland's Walmart? Why don't they have one?"

I'll repeat it for you,--If being wet attracts Walmart and other businesses -- then why does Portland not have a Walmart?--

If you answer that, then most likely you have also answered "why does Scottsville not have a Walmart?"
Just wondering

Bowling Green, KY

#59 Aug 29, 2013
Heared that town was going wet.
Marke Twane

Warrenton, VA

#60 Aug 31, 2013
Just wondering wrote:
Heared that town was going wet.
"Just wondering",

I think you "Heared" wrong.

There has been no wet or dry vote. Gotta have that first. The voters have to decide to go wet before it can happen.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scottsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kelly Shrum 47 min Metherrella 28
Trump followers are like a Cult 1 hr just my opinion 176
Is she sick? 3 hr Charlie 29
Dollyz 7 hr Tanner 17
LAST POST WINS.....Belongs to "The Clown Master" 20 hr RoamingInsomniac 535
Vote for sherif 21 hr Just sayin 29
Who do you not want to fight from Scottsville Sat 111bdbdj 4

Scottsville Jobs

Personal Finance

Scottsville Mortgages