Sheriff Election 2014
ole zeke

United States

#41 Dec 6, 2013
Regarding the district 5 magistrates race:

As far back as I can remember, a magistrate would be voted in, here in district 5, he'd serve one term, and he'd be replaced. Button, Hinton, Perry, and then Towe, each served one term.

But then, Roman Perry was elected a second time following Billy Towe and, by my count, has now served at least seven consecutive terms.

Roman's opponent has claimed that he has done a terrible job as magistrate. But that opponent is clearly running a negative mud-slinging campaign.

That is what someone does in politics when they know they have little to offer the voters in the way of meaningful accomplishments.

Mr Miller needs to elaborate on what he would do differently from Roman. He needs to tell us about himself and how he plans to do the job. Most of what he has offered thus far is attacks on Mr Perry.

The voters do not agree with Mr Tim Miller's assessment. You don't elect and re-elect a man to an office for thirty plus years of service, as they have with Roman, unless he is doing a great job.

Roman is a lifetime resident of our community. He was born here, lived here, and worked here all of his life. He belongs here, Roman is one of us. He is very popular in the district.

Before getting into public service, Roman was a successful business man, a builder of houses. He ran Perry Brothers Construction. Roman also owned and operated a farm with his brothers.

Since then he has been a successful public servant. He has thirty plus years of EXPERIENCE serving as a member of the fiscal court, conducting the county's business.

One doesn't learn how to do a job well by simply going to school. Experience is the best teacher. Roman has the experience, thirty plus years of experience as our magistrate.

Roman Perry, Jr. played an important role in getting the funding approved for our new bridge over Trammel Fork Creek on Highway 100. We all appreciate the new bridge. Good job, Roman.

We all saw the picture in the paper of the governor at the dedication ceremony smiling and shaking Roman's hand. Even a governor likes to "kiss up" a little bit to a man who has been successful locally.

Roman's opponent, on the other hand has lived here only since 1997. He is a relative newcomer, a carpetbagger, some might even say.

While he has some worthwhile accomplishments in his past, such as being a police officer and a quality engineer, and later as a local "chicken rancher", the experience he has gained from these endeavors has little relevance to serving as a magistrate in the county government.

Based on the difference in the lifetime experience of the two, Roman clearly is the better qualified man for the job. He will be getting my vote.

I urge everyone to elect Roman Perry, Jr. to yet another term as our magistrate.
hey

Elizabethtown, KY

#42 Dec 6, 2013
I believe the F.O.P usually conducts a debate at the washington center every election
Seeker of Truth

Pigeon Forge, TN

#43 Dec 7, 2013
tinponyrider wrote:
<quoted text>I would vote for that.
That's how it is done everywhere else, are you surprised they don't follow protocol?
Happycamper

Westmoreland, TN

#44 Dec 7, 2013
Seeker of Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
That's how it is done everywhere else, are you surprised they don't follow protocol?
Surprised, no! This is, "Good Ole Boy" land! Allen County still lives in The Dark Ages! Allen County wants to do things their own way. It is time Allen County residents stood up and be heard. Let us, Allen County stop dragging our feet through the past. Let us become a brighter Allen County by looking towards a brighter future. Allen County, this is your county not the sheriff's!
Stony Point Fire Dept

Tucker, GA

#45 Dec 7, 2013
ole zeke wrote:

As far back as I can remember, a magistrate would be voted in, here in district 5, he'd serve one term, and he'd be replaced. Button, Hinton, Perry, and then Towe, each served one term.

But then, Roman Perry was elected a second time following Billy Towe and, by my count, has now served at least seven consecutive terms.

Roman's opponent has claimed that he has done a terrible job as magistrate. But that opponent is clearly running a negative mud-slinging campaign.

That is what someone does in politics when they know they have little to offer the voters in the way of meaningful accomplishments.

Mr Miller needs to elaborate on what he would do differently from Roman. He needs to tell us about himself and how he plans to do the job. Most of what he has offered thus far is attacks on Mr Perry.

The voters do not agree with Mr Tim Miller's assessment. You don't elect and re-elect a man to an office for thirty plus years of service, as they have with Roman, unless he is doing a great job.

Roman is a lifetime resident of our community. He was born here, lived here, and worked here all of his life. He belongs here, Roman is one of us. He is very popular in the district.

Before getting into public service, Roman was a successful business man, a builder of houses. He ran Perry Brothers Construction. Roman also owned and operated a farm with his brothers.

Since then he has been a successful public servant. He has thirty plus years of EXPERIENCE serving as a member of the fiscal court, conducting the county's business.

One doesn't learn how to do a job well by simply going to school. Experience is the best teacher. Roman has the experience, thirty plus years of experience as our magistrate.

Roman Perry, Jr. played an important role in getting the funding approved for our new bridge over Trammel Fork Creek on Highway 100. We all appreciate the new bridge. Good job, Roman.

We all saw the picture in the paper of the governor at the dedication ceremony smiling and shaking Roman's hand. Even a governor likes to "kiss up" a little bit to a man who has been successful locally.

Roman's opponent, on the other hand has lived here only since 1997. He is a relative newcomer, a carpetbagger, some might even say.

While he has some worthwhile accomplishments in his past, such as being a police officer and a quality engineer, and later as a local "chicken rancher", the experience he has gained from these endeavors has little relevance to serving as a magistrate in the county government.

Based on the difference in the lifetime experience of the two, Roman clearly is the better qualified man for the job. He will be getting my vote.

I urge everyone to elect Roman Perry, Jr. to yet another term as our magistrate.
What happened to Roman at Stony Point?
I heard he got the boot for pocketing money.
Let the truth be told.
Happycamper

Westmoreland, TN

#46 Dec 7, 2013
ole zeke wrote:
Very well written. However, this is a topic regarding the sheriff's election for 2014. Not the magistrate's race! I suggest you go start a topic regarding the magistrates race. I will perhaps take more notice of your fine writing abilities with your conversations relating to the magistrate's race on a magistrates platform not the sheriff's.
Seeker of Truth

Pigeon Forge, TN

#47 Dec 7, 2013
ole zeke wrote:

BTW..Miller was born here and comes from a long generation of family dating back to 1865, so he is not a carpetbagger by any means...
ole zeke

United States

#48 Dec 7, 2013
Seeker of Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
BTW..Miller was born here and comes from a long generation of family dating back to 1865, so he is not a carpetbagger by any means...
The fact is, he left here, went away.

He spent most of his life somewhere else. He got part of his high schooling in Florida. He was a policeman in Florida. He isn't one of us in the sense that Roman is. Not even close.

Now he has come back and is trying to oust a 30 year public servant by devious means. He is a carpetbagger. A seemingly dishonest one at that.

Roman on the other is a homegrown, lifelong citizen of district 5. Roman is the "real deal". He is one of us. Miller isn't.
ole zeke

United States

#49 Dec 7, 2013
Stony Point Fire Dept wrote:
<quoted text>
What happened to Roman at Stony Point?
I heard he got the boot for pocketing money.
Let the truth be told.
What happened, you ask?

"I heard"

"He heard"

"They said"

Rumors, simply vicious made up rumors put out by devious,desperate, dihonest people.

"Let the truth be told", you say.

If you know any truth, tell it yourself, but be careful. Slander is a serious charge.

If there was any truth to the rumors it would already have been told.

Trash talking isn't a platform for getting yourself elected as our magistrate.

Sorry Tim. This smear campaign isn't working, but I suppose it's the only hope you have of beating Roman.
ole zeke

United States

#50 Dec 7, 2013
Happycamper wrote:
<quoted text>
Very well written. However, this is a topic regarding the sheriff's election for 2014. Not the magistrate's race! I suggest you go start a topic regarding the magistrates race. I will perhaps take more notice of your fine writing abilities with your conversations relating to the magistrate's race on a magistrates platform not the sheriff's.
Un"Happycamper",

It is appropriate to respond to allegations made by someone else whether they are relevant to the original topic or not.

Mr Miller and/or his supporters threw Roman's name out there and began trashing him. I responded to their trashy comments.

I write what I want to, what I think ia appropriate. No one forces you to read what I write. If you don't like it don't read it.
Happycamper

Westmoreland, TN

#51 Dec 7, 2013
Ole Zeke, How does one not read something 1st...then if you do not like it...then don't read it? What an idiotic statement. Sounds like a childish remark. Ole Zeke, You write rather well. Write with your heart and smarts not with your emotions! On my part, perhaps the best thing said is nothing at all! Have a nice day!
Good Ol Boy

Tucker, GA

#52 Dec 7, 2013
ole zeke wrote:
<quoted text>What happened, you ask?

"I heard"

"He heard"

"They said"

Rumors, simply vicious made up rumors put out by devious,desperate, dihonest people.

"Let the truth be told", you say.

If you know any truth, tell it yourself, but be careful. Slander is a serious charge.

If there was any truth to the rumors it would already have been told.

Trash talking isn't a platform for getting yourself elected as our magistrate.

Sorry Tim. This smear campaign isn't working, but I suppose it's the only hope you have of beating Roman.
Ole Zeke

You write to well to be one of us. I think you are one of those carpet beggars.
ole zeke

Warrenton, VA

#53 Dec 7, 2013
Happycamper wrote:
Ole Zeke, How does one not read something 1st...then if you do not like it...then don't read it? What an idiotic statement. Sounds like a childish remark. Ole Zeke, You write rather well. Write with your heart and smarts not with your emotions! On my part, perhaps the best thing said is nothing at all! Have a nice day!
It's real simple "Happycamper".

If you see my name on it you might reasonably expect that you won't like it. Just pass it by.

Since: Sep 11

Westmoreland, TN

#54 Dec 7, 2013
Seeker of Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Not suprised, because that's the way it happens in Scottsvegas, Allen County.

Since: Sep 11

Westmoreland, TN

#55 Dec 7, 2013
ole zeke wrote:
<quoted text>
It's real simple "Happycamper".
If you see my name on it you might reasonably expect that you won't like it. Just pass it by.
Ole zeke, I think he liked it, just that it didn't sound like Allen County born and bred. It sounded more like a politician. Just saying.
ole zeke

Warrenton, VA

#56 Dec 7, 2013
Good Ol Boy wrote:
<quoted text>
Ole Zeke
You write to well to be one of us. I think you are one of those carpet beggars.
Thanks for the compliment on my writing.

I did do a few years of elementary school up north, but came back to Ky in the early fifties while I was very young. There's a lot of local kids who did that. Then, once back in Kentucky, I walked up a gravel road about a mile to a country school. After that I rode a bus to Scottsville and attended Allen county public schools. I proudly graduated from the old Allen County High School.

I had good teachers and I loved to read. I learned more from my curiosity and my love of reading than I learned from my text books.
But, I do credit the Allen County school system for what little book learning I have.

School just teaches you a little about how to learn. It's what you do for yourself (after school) with that knowledge that determines what you will become.

In my opinion, experience, and not formal schooling, is the best teacher.
ole zeke

Warrenton, VA

#57 Dec 7, 2013
tinponyrider wrote:
<quoted text>Ole zeke, I think he liked it, just that it didn't sound like Allen County born and bred. It sounded more like a politician. Just saying.
I was born locally. My parents lived on the farm I still own here in Allen County. We had to go up north for a short while during the war years to find work, needed more money. That's a common thing here in Allen County. Many did that. After a short stay there we came back to the family farm. The farm's been in the family since the late 1930s.

I'm a proud Allen County red-necked hillbilly, always was, always will be.
ole zeke

Warrenton, VA

#58 Dec 7, 2013
Happycamper wrote:
<quoted text>
Surprised, no! This is, "Good Ole Boy" land! Allen County still lives in The Dark Ages! Allen County wants to do things their own way. It is time Allen County residents stood up and be heard. Let us, Allen County stop dragging our feet through the past. Let us become a brighter Allen County by looking towards a brighter future. Allen County, this is your county not the sheriff's!
"Happycamper"

We, the voters elect these "good ole boys" you speak of. They are there because we want them to be. We like them. We (the majority) like what they represent.

We do stand up to be counted every time we go to the polls. Some of us (a majority, apparently) like the county the way it is.

The beautiful thing about our democratic form of government is that the majority rules. Not everyone can be happy, but at least a majority can. We also have freedom to move around in search of the kind of place we want to live in, so those who aren't happy here, perhaps can be happy elsewhere. They are free to go and try to be.

I'll agree things are a little dull here abouts sometime. Most of the people here prefer it to be dull, I suppose.

If you like a wild night life and big city excitement, perhaps you should go to Bowling Green, Nashville, or some larger city to live.

I don't think Scottsville is likely to change anytime soon. You and I will most likely be long dead before Scottsville makes any big changes, if it ever does.

Sometimes we just have to face reality and look for a different place to find what we want.
ScottsvilleCitiz en

Bowling Green, KY

#59 Dec 12, 2013
Jim Strain has an amazing law enforcemnt backround and could very easily make Scottsville and Allen County a much better place. He is a great father and grandfather who has his priorites first and will not play around with enforcing the law in Scottsville as we have seen with recent sheriffs.
debate

Westmoreland, TN

#60 Dec 12, 2013
Just hold a debate

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scottsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tropicana Evansville Casino (Oct '13) 1 hr Ken 3
Veta 1 hr Inbred people 1
Trasie Haney 6 hr Bubba Humpalot 4
Beans botanicals in scottsville 6 hr Kratom 1
Jarrett Sanders (Mar '13) 7 hr wondering 8
Bobby Estes? 7 hr couris 4
Glad una is dead 10 hr Too funny 41

Scottsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance