Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912?

Aug 13, 2013 | Posted by: TopMod15 | Full story: politix.topix.com

This exam was taken by middle schoolers in Bullitt County, Kentucky. The real test contained 58 questions and wasn't multiple choice.

Comments (Page 29)

Showing posts 561 - 580 of917
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Sam

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2013

Yes wrote:
I can!
HOT MARVIN!!!. Well I can't!!!!!!!!!.
MSUstudent

Middlesboro, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2013

Judged:

this is too funny... i havent seen the test... but passing this test doesnt say anything except that someone may excell in history... exams in different fields are regulated and upated often according to what contextual history you live in, relevance and importance to the time in which u live, and the societal propaganda that is being imposed... even history tests change... 80 years ago they were still teaching that Columbus was first to discover america,segregation was still ideal,and many of the heinous crimes europeans settlers and our govt committed against native americans were left out of text books... ill bet most of us couldnt pass a test in shakespeares time either... due to most of us wouldnt understand the proper english at the time.
Freddie

Cave City, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2013

It's all in fun!
paul

Hindman, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2013

Judged:

too bad
Free

Ashland, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2013

I always wondered what anyone could be commenting on.. Nothing is what I found!
MeMeMe

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

Judged:

Jane wrote:
<quoted text>Good Points, I blame diversity mostly.
Diversifying ended up being a sword that cut both sides. I started school right around the time they were desegregating. I am the youngest in my family (black)and all of my older siblings told me how hard the all black school was compared to the homogenized school. When I started school they placed all the black kids into remedial classes. They expected the black students to fail. One of my brothers ended up being the valedictorian in his class and I was 3rd in my graduating class because I missed a parade and received an F in band one quarter. D#$% band lol.
It appears that today's youths are living down to societal expectations and since school districts lose money when they fail students most will pass. It is all about the money, it's always about the money or politics....
I'm ashamed to say that I scored 75% on the quiz. Now I will have to read something more stimulating than fluffy brain rotting romances.
lucy

Winchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2013

Judged:

The real question if your where born during that era could you pass a test today. It's a matter of what is taught. with progress in math, politics, ect.
History PhD

Paducah, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2013

Judged:

lucy wrote:
The real question if your where born during that era could you pass a test today. It's a matter of what is taught. with progress in math, politics, ect.
How true. I have not seen the particular test in question but I have seen the one required to graduate from the 8th grade in Kansas in the 1890s. Just for fun I had a class of college freshmen take it. Out of over 50 students, only 3 passed, and those 3 only barely. Even people who are good at math could not do its math problems, the actual arithmetic of which was relatively easy, because most of the questions dealt with agriculture and used units of measurement, weight, volume, etc. that are no longer in use.
History PhD

Paducah, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2013

Judged:

MeMeMe wrote:
<quoted text>
Diversifying ended up being a sword that cut both sides. I started school right around the time they were desegregating. I am the youngest in my family (black)and all of my older siblings told me how hard the all black school was compared to the homogenized school.
The situation that you describe here had another aspect, one that is not well known. I am white. When I started 1st grade the school was still segregated. On the very first day, the teacher divided the class of about 20 into 3 groups. What group she put you in depended on your parents' socio-economic standing in the small community, a county with only about 8,000 people. The poor a kid was, the lower their group was. The teacher spent about 50 percent of her time with the top socio-economic group, about 30 percent with the middle group, and 20 percent with the poor group, which were "slow learners". Funny (well not so damn funny) thing was, my family was poor, so I got put into the "slow" group - even though I was the only kid in the room who could already read and write before I started to school! Later, when the schools desegregated, that same teacher put all the black kids in the "slow" group as well.
im not kurt cobain

Middlesboro, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2013

Judged:

History PhD wrote:
<quoted text>
The situation that you describe here had another aspect, one that is not well known. I am white. When I started 1st grade the school was still segregated. On the very first day, the teacher divided the class of about 20 into 3 groups. What group she put you in depended on your parents' socio-economic standing in the small community, a county with only about 8,000 people. The poor a kid was, the lower their group was. The teacher spent about 50 percent of her time with the top socio-economic group, about 30 percent with the middle group, and 20 percent with the poor group, which were "slow learners". Funny (well not so damn funny) thing was, my family was poor, so I got put into the "slow" group - even though I was the only kid in the room who could already read and write before I started to school! Later, when the schools desegregated, that same teacher put all the black kids in the "slow" group as well.
it appears that your teacher either consciously or subconsciously believed in social darwinism to the highest degree
History PhD

Greenville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2013

Judged:

im not kurt cobain wrote:
<quoted text>
it appears that your teacher either consciously or subconsciously believed in social darwinism to the highest degree
No. She most certainly did not believe in Social Darwinsim, at least not according to the classical definition. If she had, she would not have divided the class up into predetermined groups the way she did. She would have taught the whole class equally and let the chips fall where they would. No. She believed in a caste system. You belonged in a certain category and that was where she put you. It was all arbitrary. It depended on how well off or poor your parents were, but also on their social standing, things like what church they were members of. Almost all the kids in the upper crust group's parents were members of the same Main Street church that the teacher belonged to. And it wasn't just that one teacher. The whole school system, and the whole community, operated according to the caste system. Integration was what finally put an end to it - more or less - because the black teachers did not go along.
LMS

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2013

Judged:

Yes, we have gotten stupid.
Bob

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2013

Judged:

Correction, born stupid.
ilovejesus

Central City, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2013

Judged:

It would be hard
varient

Middlesboro, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2013

Judged:

No, we ain't got stupid. We need fine tuned! All of us. History proves, inovation in textile saved us. Now, global markets, is all heading to Require Tech, even when you run a business, excel req. M.W ! 2 billion Mitch Mcconall NEEDS KENTUCKY GEARED FOR EDUCATION TO DRAW BETTER JOB MARKETS!
Answer

Blackwood, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2013

Let's try
Plain Talk

Kuttawa, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2013

Judged:

varient wrote:
No, we ain't got stupid. We need fine tuned! All of us. History proves, inovation in textile saved us. Now, global markets, is all heading to Require Tech, even when you run a business, excel req. M.W ! 2 billion Mitch Mcconall NEEDS KENTUCKY GEARED FOR EDUCATION TO DRAW BETTER JOB MARKETS!
Ya mind putting this incoherent babble into plain English?
Ucandoit

Stanford, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2013

dk wrote:
I heard several years ago, that this test is a hoax.
I think I can but I bet you are right.
frog

Logan, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2013

Nope.

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2013

frog wrote:
Nope.
LOL!! You rang???

Seriously though, I failed it miserably. There was actually a segment about this test on Good Morning America, I think it was. Might have been one of the other early a.m. shows, but it DID mention the questions in this test.....

I failed it miserably.. NO LIE.. Some of those questions are from so far back in time (and life situations from back then) that they no longer apply to modern daily life as a whole. I suppose back then they might have applied.....

I'm OLD now. I only have so much brain matter left for storage so some things from MY OWN school days have to be chached too far back to dredge it back out again. Bwaaahahahaha!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 561 - 580 of917
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

10 Users are viewing the Scottsville Forum right now

Search the Scottsville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
looking for place for rent 55 min looking for place to rent 1
Who do you support for U.S. House in Kentucky (... (Oct '10) 1 hr blahblah123 414
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 1 hr blahblah123 25,960
KY Paul vs Conway: The Nastiest Debate Of 2010 | T... (Oct '10) 1 hr blahblah123 16,060
eugene calvin (Oct '13) 1 hr Tay 14
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 3 hr Limbertwig 138,467
Scott Owens (Jan '10) 4 hr juanita scott cchestnut 19
•••
•••
•••
•••

Scottsville Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Scottsville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••