Looking for A Trustworthy Mechanic
good one

White House, TN

#21 May 20, 2013
I get all my work done at Gants in franklin,I told my kids about them and they really like the service they got too,Ive lived in scottsville forever and couldnt tell ya of one good one there
Smuckergal

Scottsville, KY

#22 May 20, 2013
Is it Grants or Grants.Exactly where in Franklin is it located?
Smuckergal

Scottsville, KY

#23 May 20, 2013
I meant Gants'or Grants?
Midnight Rider

Center, KY

#24 May 20, 2013
What make and model is your vehicle?
tinponyrider

Westmoreland, TN

#25 May 20, 2013
Mitzi wrote:
Not sure,something to do with it getting hot but it's not low of coolant.We have already had a bunch of work done on it.New thermostat,Water pump,timing belt,valves,tune up.It ran fine for 6 weeks and then started doing the same thing.It usually does it if we have driven it awhile,mainly if it's just idling.
My first question would be, while it's idling does the fan motor kick on or not? If not can you hot wire it to make it run and see if it cools the engine down. Next as far as the water pump is it circulating the water? Could be one of several things.
tinponyrider

Westmoreland, TN

#26 May 20, 2013
What kind of car and how many miles? Did you get it hot? If it is running hot it should be boiling coolant back into the reservoir bottle for the radiator.

Could be anything from the electric coolant fan operation to a cracked head.

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#27 May 21, 2013
tinponyrider wrote:
<quoted text>My first question would be, while it's idling does the fan motor kick on or not? If not can you hot wire it to make it run and see if it cools the engine down. Next as far as the water pump is it circulating the water? Could be one of several things.
I had a van that had the same issue as being described. While in traffic it would get hot. On the open road it stayed cool. Turns out that one of the fans were locked up.

With the engine off and completely cool you should be able to reach down and turn the fan easily by hand. If there is resistance or it wont turn, you will need a new fan. Be careful because the fan could start up on its own if the engine is warm. you could disconnect the battery cable to be on the sfae side if you wanted to.
Mitzi

Scottsville, KY

#28 May 21, 2013
It's a 2008 PT Cruiser.We already had it checked for a Cracked Head.We were told it was okay.It gets hot and seems like the coolant is boiling over.The air conditioner also will stop cooling.It is a lot worse on Hot days.If it is cool outside,we don't have much trouble.
Mitzi

Scottsville, KY

#29 May 21, 2013
Thanks to Patriot Dad.We may just try that. I really appreciate all the help. :-)
yep

Chicago, IL

#30 May 21, 2013
It's gants
tinponyrider

Westmoreland, TN

#31 May 21, 2013
Mitzi wrote:
It's a 2008 PT Cruiser.We already had it checked for a Cracked Head.We were told it was okay.It gets hot and seems like the coolant is boiling over.The air conditioner also will stop cooling.It is a lot worse on Hot days.If it is cool outside,we don't have much trouble.
Just saying, if you keep driving it and its getting hot, it will soon have a cracked head. You need to definitely need to check the fan. The fan should have two wires a + and a - connect to the battery and see if it will work. BUT if you don't feel comfortable doing that, then by all means don't.
Mitzi

Scottsville, KY

#32 May 21, 2013
My Husband did try turning the fan and it turned just fine.

“Cuddly & Cautious”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#33 May 21, 2013
Mitzi wrote:

Secondary fan "may," be good. Problem could be limit switch. An easy fix "if," that is the problem.
tinponyrider

Westmoreland, TN

#34 May 21, 2013
fuzzy duck wrote:
<quoted text>
Secondary fan "may," be good. Problem could be limit switch. An easy fix "if," that is the problem.
That would be correct.
tinponyrider

Westmoreland, TN

#35 May 21, 2013
Mitzi wrote:
Just saying, just because it turns doesn't solve or eliminate it as the problem. It needs to be check by hooking it directly to a power source to see if it actually runs without any problems. If it does then go to other switches and relays.
mike s

Lafayette, TN

#36 May 31, 2013
if your car has 2 fans Start car turn on a/c all the way . as car comes up to temp. fan should run. if not. relay bad/fan motor bad/ or wires bad/ have you mixed anifreeze (green and orange) temp sensor / what are you calling hot? past 210f
Bri

Scottsville, KY

#37 Jun 2, 2013
I'm still looking for a Mechanic.A mechanic was referred to me.He came and looked at my car and diagnosed what was wrong.I was under the impression he would come back and fix it but he never did.I don't know why.He said both fans weren't running and it was probably because 2 relays were not working,guess to a faulty wire.Can someone please give me a name or phone number of a reliable mechanic who will be willing to fix my car? I really don't want to have it towed to a garage.
tinponyrider

Westmoreland, TN

#38 Jun 2, 2013
Dang try Donnie Piper.
mike s

Lafayette, TN

#39 Jun 4, 2013
622 one eight nine six 8am to 5 pm
heyhey

Chicago, IL

#40 Jun 4, 2013
I would honestly take it to Franklin to Gants. They won't rip you off and your problem will be fixed in a reasonable amount of time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scottsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
boozer 4 min RoamingInsomniac 4
Sports jokes 1 hr Schmedley T Troll 7
Donald Trump's accomplishments as President of ... 3 hr RoamingInsomniac 50
The Facts Of Life 4 hr Mucking Forons 12
Need a doctor not the urgent clinic 21 hr Agreed 3
smuckers (Aug '11) Sat RoamingInsomniac 47
Lady with crazy empty eyes Sat RoamingInsomniac 29

Scottsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance