Posted in the Scottsville Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Rae

Westmoreland, TN

#1 May 12, 2009
Report: GM to Sell Chinese Cars in U.S. in 2011
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,519974,00...
Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Motown may be moving east. Far east.

The latest twist in Detroit’s do-over has General Motors becoming the first automaker to import Chinese-built cars into the United States, according to Automotive News.

Citing a leaked document shown to lawmakers who are overseeing the restructuring of the auto giant, the newspaper reports that GM is planning to market made in China cars to American consumers as early as 2011, the same year the company’s heralded Chevrolet Volt electric car goes on sale.

General Motors is currently the best-selling foreign automaker in China, and Buick is number one brand overall, part of the reason that the nameplate was saved during a recent round of cuts that included the elimination of Pontiac. As an example of the growing influence of that marketplace on the company, the interior of the upcoming replacement for the Buick LaCrosse sedan was designed at a GM studio in Shanghai.

According to the report, GM plans to sell nearly 18,000 Chinese-made vehicles in the US in 2011, with that number rising to over 50,000 by 2014.

General Motors currently imports the Chevrolet Aveo and Pontiac G3 from South Korea, and several other models from Canada, Mexico and Europe. The United Auto Workers union has been critical of any plans to move more production overseas.
Rae

Westmoreland, TN

#2 May 12, 2009
boycott anything GM, I don't care if my hubby's work does depend on them. BUY as American as you can get
GM sux
class of 91

Elizabethtown, KY

#3 May 13, 2009
Yeah! Glad I bought a Ford also!!!
Hmm

Lexington, KY

#4 May 13, 2009
Sorry, but I'll never buy another American made vehicle. As far as I'm concerned, they're all junk. I owned two Pontiacs and have never had so many problems. I'm now the owner of a Toyota and the only thing I've had to do to it is change the oil and rotate the tires. Not to mention that it holds its resale value much better and can hold up when the mileage is 100-200,00+. I've never seen a Ford or GM do that.
class of 91

Elizabethtown, KY

#5 May 13, 2009
My Ford does it's at 180,000 now and runs perfectly. I would never buy a Pontiac because I've always heard they were worthless. I'm just saying.. I'm American made and I buy American whenever possible. I change my oil and rotate my tires have a tune up every once in a while and she's runs beautifully. But, I've never bought a foreign car before so I guess I can't compare. I've had no reason to.

“Stand for something or shut up”

Since: Feb 09

Glasgow, KY

#6 May 13, 2009
Hmm wrote:
Sorry, but I'll never buy another American made vehicle. As far as I'm concerned, they're all junk. I owned two Pontiacs and have never had so many problems. I'm now the owner of a Toyota and the only thing I've had to do to it is change the oil and rotate the tires. Not to mention that it holds its resale value much better and can hold up when the mileage is 100-200,00+. I've never seen a Ford or GM do that.
You do realize that Toyota is the number 2 most recalled vehicle in the world right??? And you also realize that Toyota in Japan is losing money right??

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#7 May 13, 2009
Toyota parts, made in USA...
Honda parts, made in USA...
think it over...
class of 91

Elizabethtown, KY

#8 May 14, 2009
RoamingInsomniac wrote:
Toyota parts, made in USA...
Honda parts, made in USA...
think it over...
Just because they have parts made in the USA doesn't make them Made in America. Honda foreign.. Toyota foreign..

“Is who I am”

Scottsville

#9 May 14, 2009
if the parts are made HERE, the car has American made parts...not that they are GOOD parts, mind you...ALL car companies are having a very hard time...naturally, the government now says the recession is easing up...Ha! really? where?
there are NO jobs, the market is still falling, houses are being foreclosed on...why would Anyone be stupid and buy another car?
recession stopped about 4 months ago, and became a depression...
Rae

Westmoreland, TN

#10 May 14, 2009
RoamingInsomniac wrote:
why would Anyone be stupid and buy another car?
I bought a new car in dec 08. I bought a ford because they did not accept the bailout money. I will continue to support the American people until I no longer have any money. If we don't buy we don't work and if we don't work we don't buy.
Thats what the government does not understand with NAFTA.
There are a lot of foreign cars that are made in the USA. Nissan employ's a couple of my friends. and I would buy another Nissan. Honda is made here in the states, They have 3 us factories. 2 in Ohio and 1 In Alabama.
toyota = Huntsville, Alabama; Georgetown, Kentucky; Princeton, Indiana; San Antonio, Texas; Buffalo, West Virginia.
BMW is built in S. Carolina.
So even while these companies are foreign they employ a lot of US workers.
Smiley

Alliance, OH

#11 May 14, 2009
I had trouble with my both of my Grand Prixs, but my Lincoln is great. Lincoln rules GM drools. Interior seems cheep in Toyotas. I even tried out a Lexus before I bought my Lincoln.

“Is who I am”

Scottsville

#12 May 14, 2009
i own an old Buick, because it is all i can afford...actually at this point, it is sitting because i CAN'T afford it...
i'm glad there are people who can afford new cars, or hell, even used ones...at this point i will never be able to afford another vehicle, because of this economy...

“ohh snap!”

Since: Jan 09

ohh snap!

#13 May 14, 2009
Shadow of Vortec wrote:
<quoted text>You do realize that Toyota is the number 2 most recalled vehicle in the world right??? And you also realize that Toyota in Japan is losing money right??
is it the most recalled car because it's most popular car? What car company isn't losing money right now?

Pontiacs are crap....it's not the people who built them, just the people who designed them.
The japanese design better cars. when i was in japan the cars that are honda and toyotas aren't the same hondas and toyotas we have here. they are smaller. when you see a Camry for example it stands out. why? because it's huge compared to the little cars they drive.

in defense of ford....i crashed haead on into a tree in a ford. I walked away. they are built tough.
Also I think a lot of the reason some cars go to crap is that they arent' serviced like they should be anymore. When you used to get gas, an attendent would pump it for you and check your oil and tires. Now most people barely check any of these on a monthly basis.

Glasgow, KY

#14 May 15, 2009
So being recalled is directly proportional to the popularity? Oh come on!!!

The die hard Toyota fans will deny any trouble they have with their cars...I have seen it done many times. And STILL it is number 2 in recalls.

Why is it number 2? Because they were in such a rush to be number 1 in sales. They sacrificed quality for quantity. It is showing now. They will post an $8 billion loss this quarter...

Buy what you want but remember the consequences of your choice.

“TELLING IT LIKE IT IS”

Since: Apr 09

FARTSBURG

#15 May 15, 2009
I have owned different makes of cars/trucks and most have held up well. Maintainance makes the difference. Regardless of what the owners manual states I change oil and filter every 3,000 miles and keep the tires rotated, do regular tune ups. I do it myself, that way I know it has been done. Every auto regardless of make will need new parts from time to time.

“ohh snap!”

Since: Jan 09

ohh snap!

#16 May 15, 2009
Shadow of Vortec wrote:
So being recalled is directly proportional to the popularity? Oh come on!!!
The die hard Toyota fans will deny any trouble they have with their cars...I have seen it done many times. And STILL it is number 2 in recalls.
Why is it number 2? Because they were in such a rush to be number 1 in sales. They sacrificed quality for quantity. It is showing now. They will post an $8 billion loss this quarter...
Buy what you want but remember the consequences of your choice.
Im proud of my little toyota....i had a 97 corolla till it was rear ended and destroyed.

No car company is perfect. i would take a 10 year old toyota over a brand new pontiac any day. to be honest I couldn't afford a new car anyways.

What do you drive? curious

here is a link u might find interesting.
http://www.recallowl.com/interesting_stats.ph...

I think the 8 billion dollar loss has something to do with the economy, not the quality of the cars.

bottom line for me is that if people buy toyota, honda, nissan, I have a job. I love american made stuff as much as the next guy, but I buy what I can afford and can trust.
Patriot

Centerville, TX

#17 May 18, 2009
Rae wrote:
Report: GM to Sell Chinese Cars in U.S. in 2011
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,519974,00...
Tuesday, May 12, 2009
Motown may be moving east. Far east.
The latest twist in Detroit’s do-over has General Motors becoming the first automaker to import Chinese-built cars into the United States, according to Automotive News.
Citing a leaked document shown to lawmakers who are overseeing the restructuring of the auto giant, the newspaper reports that GM is planning to market made in China cars to American consumers as early as 2011, the same year the company’s heralded Chevrolet Volt electric car goes on sale.
General Motors is currently the best-selling foreign automaker in China, and Buick is number one brand overall, part of the reason that the nameplate was saved during a recent round of cuts that included the elimination of Pontiac. As an example of the growing influence of that marketplace on the company, the interior of the upcoming replacement for the Buick LaCrosse sedan was designed at a GM studio in Shanghai.
According to the report, GM plans to sell nearly 18,000 Chinese-made vehicles in the US in 2011, with that number rising to over 50,000 by 2014.
General Motors currently imports the Chevrolet Aveo and Pontiac G3 from South Korea, and several other models from Canada, Mexico and Europe. The United Auto Workers union has been critical of any plans to move more production overseas.
GM now stands for "Government Motors"!! I will NEVER buy another GM or Chrysler again. Keep free Ford - you have a new lifelong customer..

Glasgow, KY

#18 May 18, 2009
ohh snap wrote:
<quoted text>
Im proud of my little toyota....i had a 97 corolla till it was rear ended and destroyed.
No car company is perfect. i would take a 10 year old toyota over a brand new pontiac any day. to be honest I couldn't afford a new car anyways.
What do you drive? curious
here is a link u might find interesting.
http://www.recallowl.com/interesting_stats.ph...
I think the 8 billion dollar loss has something to do with the economy, not the quality of the cars.
bottom line for me is that if people buy toyota, honda, nissan, I have a job. I love american made stuff as much as the next guy, but I buy what I can afford and can trust.
I drive 2007 HHR, 2006 Mazda MPV, 2004 Ford Explorer just sold my baby,a 2003 Cavalier LS Sport to my mom cause her car blew its trans out.
Rae

Westmoreland, TN

#19 May 18, 2009
Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>
GM now stands for "Government Motors"!! I will NEVER buy another GM or Chrysler again. Keep free Ford - you have a new lifelong customer..
I heard on the radio they were changing GMc to OMC.
Obama motor company. lol

Since: Nov 08

Lexington, KY

#20 May 19, 2009
Rae wrote:
<quoted text>
I heard on the radio they were changing GMc to OMC.
Obama motor company. lol
If I didn't know how wonderful of person you were. I might think you meant that. But I know you better. But I have to admit that was funny. Your husband is one lucky man.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scottsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kristen Simpson 9 hr Bubba Humpalot 9
Pokemon gyms 9 hr Instinct 3
Abulance service 13 hr Big and Bashful 8
SeEn DAnNy StInSoN & KaLeY ViNcEnT 2-GeThEr 16 hr Keith 2
Last post win war. War begin now! (Jul '15) 19 hr RoamingInsomniac 2,360
Matt Carter Fri pitbull27 7
theives Fri Go cart Mozart 8

Scottsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance