Taking Note: Arpaio to Arm Volunteers With Assault Rifles

There are 194 comments on the FiveThirtyEight story from Feb 1, 2013, titled Taking Note: Arpaio to Arm Volunteers With Assault Rifles. In it, FiveThirtyEight reports that:

There are plenty of good people in Arizona who have thoughtful, moderate views about guns and government.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at FiveThirtyEight.

“AVAUNCEZ!!”

Since: Aug 07

Eldora Iowa

#143 Feb 5, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
"More" is a relative number, Numbnuts.
"most" is not, "most" means 50 percent plus one.
E.G.: Forty percent of the intial deployment of US military in WWI were reserve units.
40 percent is not most. 50.1 percent would be most.
It's up to you to back your assertions, spoogebreath.
I asked you start at Vietnam and work backwards.
Cherry pick, Cherry pick, there were more Guard used in WW2, than WW1, or Vietnam, or Desert Sotrm, most of the soldiers in WW2 were Guard. 80% of the first Ranger units in WW32 were Guard.

Vietnam not so much. I think you are obsessed with my saying that every major conflict had more Guard than regular Army, you are right Vietnam and Desert Storm had less. Every other conflict had more Guard, because that is what there was, a small standing Army and the Guard, Revolutionary War, militia, the forerrunner to the Guard, War of 1812, militia; Civil War, milita, War of 1812, militia; WW1 National Guard, I know Wikipedia says that only 40% of the soldiers in WW1 were Guard but that doesn't coinside with the National guard history. The regular army only had eight divisions deployed, the National Guard had 35 divisions deployed to Europe, most of them in France, WW2 National Guard; Korea, National Guard; Vietnam, Regular Army and Reserves, Desert Storm, Regular Army and Reserves, Iraq and Afghanistan, Again I know that as of the writing of the Wikipedia page only around 300,000 Guardsmen had deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan, to date the National Guard has provided a minimum of 55,000-100,000 soldiers and airmen a year to deployments overseas since 9/11 over 600,000- 1.3 million troops in 13 years,(active force is only held at 550,000)the difference between National guard and active being that Active duty has way more attrition than the Guard, as Guardsmen tend to go back to work,(if they can find it) between deployments, while Active Duty soldiers end to do four years and out.

Seems to me that the Guard has been an integral part and provided most of the troops in ALMOST every major engagement the United States has been in. Just because you refuse to be part of the less than 1% to ever serve your country doesn't mean you have to get mad. You ought to be happy that others are doing the job you don't or wouldn't want. Look at how much of a better life you have had for your non service!

“Forever Is Promised To No One”

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#144 Feb 5, 2013
NOT the kenyan dikcheez wrote:
<quoted text>The feelings mutual...... We don't like that Illinois wannabe Kenyan sumbich.
Obama don't even own a shotgun, he has to photo shop a scene with him supposedly shooting. A three year old could tell it's a fake.

Let's see......the running total now is a photoshopped COLB, a fake Social Security number, a fake selective card and now a fake photo of him skeet shooting. What a man.

“Voters elect Big Bird”

Since: Jan 07

Dump American Eagle

#145 Feb 5, 2013
au contraire wrote:
<quoted text>Obama don't even own a shotgun, he has to photo shop a scene with him supposedly shooting. A three year old could tell it's a fake.
Let's see......the running total now is a photoshopped COLB, a fake Social Security number, a fake selective card and now a fake photo of him skeet shooting. What a man.
The skeet guns at Camp David are Gov't property and considered organic equipment issued to the range there. Not unlike shotguns issued to regular military Special Services skeet ranges on Bases for troop intertainment. Except for the prices/quality of the shotguns the purposes are the same.

Location hidden

#146 Feb 5, 2013
okimar wrote:
<quoted text>The skeet guns at Camp David are Gov't property and considered organic equipment issued to the range there. Not unlike shotguns issued to regular military Special Services skeet ranges on Bases for troop intertainment. Except for the prices/quality of the shotguns the purposes are the same.
Good to know, however it doesn't change the fact someone photoshopped the photo op. Obama takes a photo op every chance he gets,(except going to black neighborhoods)and if he thought being manly was good, they would have had him hunting or skeet shooting for the cameras long ago.

Location hidden

#147 Feb 5, 2013
.......even if he was wearing his mom jeans and wearing his bicycle helmet.

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

#148 Feb 5, 2013
Prove it's photoshopped.

Nobody ever claimed he was a hunter, only that he shot skeet. You might also note that he is very guarded about having pictures taken during his vacations.
au contraire wrote:
<quoted text>Good to know, however it doesn't change the fact someone photoshopped the photo op. Obama takes a photo op every chance he gets,(except going to black neighborhoods)and if he thought being manly was good, they would have had him hunting or skeet shooting for the cameras long ago.
Responsibility

San Mateo, CA

#149 Feb 5, 2013
au contraire wrote:
<quoted text>
Jumbles, it is fascinating to see you folks get riled up with Skeet Gate or whatever nonsense is the Paranoia-du-jour from you O-Derangement Syndrome Sufferers?

Often wonder how foreigners must read comments like yous and what the heck has happened to dumb down amerikkkkkkka.

“Voters elect Big Bird”

Since: Jan 07

Dump American Eagle

#150 Feb 5, 2013
cpeter1313 wrote:
Prove it's photoshopped.
Nobody ever claimed he was a hunter, only that he shot skeet. You might also note that he is very guarded about having pictures taken during his vacations.
<quoted text>
I'd like to see a photo-op pic of him in an inner-city ghetto holding a poverty stricken Black baby.... But not much chance of THAT happening. It would ruin his image with his WHITE,RICH,ELITE liberal backers.
Responsibility

San Mateo, CA

#151 Feb 5, 2013
okimar wrote:
<quoted text> It would ruin his image with his WHITE,RICH,ELITE liberal backers.
Dear - babies are babies and most WHITE, RICH, ELITE liberals would not have their image ruined with such a photo of this second-term President..

Try again ... with less histrionics and factless propaganda.

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

#152 Feb 5, 2013
And if he did, he'd be accused of pandering. No matter what he does or does not do, you'll find some stupid excuse to dismiss it.
okimar wrote:
<quoted text>I'd like to see a photo-op pic of him in an inner-city ghetto holding a poverty stricken Black baby.... But not much chance of THAT happening. It would ruin his image with his WHITE,RICH,ELITE liberal backers.

Location hidden

#153 Feb 6, 2013
cpeter1313 wrote:
Prove it's photoshopped.
<quoted text>
So is that why they posted a fake photo? The boys a clown. Sure would like to see those photo shopped Columbia records to.

Location hidden

#154 Feb 6, 2013
Responsibility wrote:
<quoted text>
Jumbles, it is fascinating to see you folks get riled up with Skeet Gate or whatever nonsense is the Paranoia-du-jour from you O-Derangement Syndrome Sufferers?
Often wonder how foreigners must read comments like yous and what the heck has happened to dumb down amerikkkkkkka.
We explained it to the world. We defined liberalism as a disease. Was that you attitude when you loons made a movie about Bush being assonated and effigies hung? Didn't think so.

Location hidden

#155 Feb 6, 2013
Responsibility wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear - babies are babies and most WHITE, RICH, ELITE liberals would not have their image ruined with such a photo of this second-term President..
Try again ... with less histrionics and factless propaganda.
Then tell us oh wise one grasshopper, why hasn't Obama been to a black neighborhood since 2008. He keeps 200 armed people around him, surly a gangbanger isn't going to try and hurt their greatest achievement, putting one of their own in the White House.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#156 Feb 6, 2013
cpeter1313 wrote:
I say it includes the War of 1812...:)
My original point was that the NG has been a stateside force for decades before bush sent them to the middle-east.
Oh, you mean like i commercials where they rescue people during floods and stuff... though of course now they are just part-time soldiers and sailors who get less respect?

Location hidden

#157 Feb 6, 2013
au contraire wrote:
<quoted text>Then tell us oh wise one grasshopper, why hasn't Obama been to a black neighborhood since 2008.
Crock of sh!t, Dumbo.

PS: Washington DC *is* a black neighborhood.

Location hidden

#158 Feb 6, 2013
au contraire wrote:
<quoted text>We explained it to the world. We defined liberalism as a disease.
'We' also said draft dodger Romney was going to get 325 electoral votes.

How's those swing states working out for you Jimbo?

Location hidden

#159 Feb 6, 2013
au contraire wrote:
Obama takes a photo op every chance he gets
http://www.commondreams.org/headlines03/image...

Location hidden

#160 Feb 6, 2013
sailor310 wrote:
<quoted text>
Cherry pick, Cherry pick, there were more Guard used in WW2
A) It isn't cherry picking to take exactly what you said and kick you squarely in the balls.

You choice is: ewither you don't know what you are talking about (see above, you have been refuted) or you are a m/f c/s liar.

Or both.

B) Most of the persons who served in WWII were not in the Nation Guard. See post above, we don't have to make you say you were wrong.

Just prove it. Done.

Location hidden

#161 Feb 6, 2013
sailor310 wrote:
80% of the first Ranger units in WW32 were Guard.
I guess WW32 is something we can look forward to if the GOP takes control of Congress.

I don't care if 80 percent of the Rangers were National Guard, the Rangers were not the only Americans who fought in WWII.

You made a statement, we pull down you panties and laughed at your tiny pickle, and now you want to change your statement.

Location hidden

#162 Feb 6, 2013
sailor310 wrote:
Vietnam not so much. I think you are obsessed with my saying that every major conflict had more Guard than regular Army, you are right Vietnam and Desert Storm had less.
You mean: I should not use the actual words you used to prove what you said was wrong?

Putting aside...'not so much' means (as I said above) that less than one percent of the millions who served in Vietnam were in the National Guard.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scottsdale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Gutierrez Window Tint 58 min Matt K 1
Where are there clean reasonably priced motels ... (Feb '12) Fri skylarmitchell41 4
New recorded gangs in Arizona.... (Jun '07) May 21 TeDigoDeExperencia 1,996
News Sources: KTVK drops 'Good Morning Arizona' pers... (Mar '09) May 20 cantbelivethisnuts 787
News Million-dollar stamp heist (Sep '07) May 19 Will 5
News East Valley agencies embrace crisis-interventio... May 18 The Ace of Spades 2
good herb for sale in Scottsdale (Mar '14) May 6 irishguyonholiday 3
More from around the web

Scottsdale People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]