Auto safety group says raising the driving age to 17 or 18 woul...

Full story: Hartford Courant

Adrian Lund, president of the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, a research group funded by the auto insurance industry, acknowledged the idea is "a tough sell," but noted that car crashes are the leading ...
Comments
21 - 37 of 37 Comments Last updated Apr 25, 2012
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Surf52

Westminster, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2009

Judged:

Mandy wrote:
<quoted text> Two gifts God gave us.
One=LEGS, so we are able to WALK.
Two=A BRAIN, so we could invent the engine, which powers the SCHOOL BUS.
The train wreck economy may restore some sanity on these doting parents who feel the need to buy junior a brand mew Mustang GT for his sixteenth birthday.
Zorro

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2009

Judged:

Surf52 wrote:
<quoted text>
You should stop posting until you recognize satire when you see it.
I didn't realize that you had reached a stage of development where you were capable of satire yet. My apologies. Go post.
Zorro

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2009

Judged:

Surf52 wrote:
<quoted text>
After my 85 year old father totlaed his car by drifting off behiund the wheel, he asked me what kind of car he should get. I gave him two recommendations.
A Licoln Town Car with a driver.
A Bumper Car.
He was less than amused, but he got the message. He's no longer driving.
Hey, that's funny too. Good one. Keep up the good work.
danielleee

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2009

Judged:

noo. no one should lower the driving age,because i have to get there & back to work from my parents, even though they have theire own job. its not fair. i have to earn my own money. && i cant do that & help my family if they have to take me to work everyday. & old people are saying change but if you were 15. you wouldnt be saying that, thank you very much.
Rainon

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2009

Judged:

I understand where most people are coming from, cause if i lost my sister in a car acc. i would be really upset. If we raised the age of driving up to 18 how would kids that are 15, 16, and 17 get to their jobs, they would have to rely on their parents almost everyday to get them to and from work. Raising the driving age would cause a bunch of problems.
Dalton

Berwick, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2009

Judged:

Hi im 14 years old ,and im almost 15 I don't think it should be raised because we need cars too go to work ,and get a job if it's raised to 18 its not fair.I think they shouldn't pass this law for a long time.We are the people I believe this is right No!!!! I believe the age should stay the same.Kids get in accident's because they drink ,and drive before they go for their drivers license they should drug test them too make sure their being responsible.Also if the parent's ever seen any drug's in their child's life they should say.

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2010

Judged:

Dalton wrote:
Hi im 14 years old ,and im almost 15 I don't think it should be raised because we need cars too go to work ,and get a job if it's raised to 18 its not fair.I think they shouldn't pass this law for a long time.We are the people I believe this is right No!!!! I believe the age should stay the same.Kids get in accident's because they drink ,and drive before they go for their drivers license they should drug test them too make sure their being responsible.Also if the parent's ever seen any drug's in their child's life they should say.
nobody cares if you think its right. driving is not a right its a Privilege. suck it up champ if they want to change it they will.
Brendan

Southampton, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 8, 2010

Judged:

If they change the driving age I will be so pissed!! I'm only 15 at the moment and I want to be a jockey and next year I will be race riding and even then for a year I will have to try to get lifts the the races with other jockeys, that would mean me having to get lifts 7 days a week to the races for a further 3-4 years depending on how much they change it
donna

Aurora, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2010

Judged:

If parents demand that their kids be responsible they will be... if not, then they will be irresponsible drainers of society!!! The driving age should stay as it is and people should hold their children accountable for their actions instead of making excuses for their bad behavior.
donna

Aurora, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2010

Judged:

also, we should vote these idiot lawmakers out of office that are doing only what they want and what is not in the best interest of the people that they represent!
john

Burnsville, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2010

Judged:

The driving age shold be lowered to 13 or 14 because some teens mature faster then others and could be street ready be by a younger age
T-Man9900

Dunedin, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2011

Judged:

Zorro wrote:
<quoted text>
NOT.
Learner's permit or provisional or restricted license at 17 and full license at 18. CDL or bus driver 21.
You shouldn't need a car when you are 16-17 years old unless you are working. You go to school; take the darn bus like everyone else.
I totally disagree bitch! Lower it to 12 !!!!
2nd amendment

Bethlehem, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2011

Judged:

student A im 16 wrote:
driving at 16 doesnt depend on the age it depends on the maturity level and skill of driving that 16 year old has.
Exactly, and that is the parent's job to determine.
student A im 16 wrote:
students most likely have things to do at school,work, etc. and they cant be having there parents drive them everywhere its just too unnessary
This ->IS<- necessarily the parent's job.
student A im 16 wrote:
And if there are accidents ... and everyone has those
Not true. I know plenty of people that have never had an auto accident in any form.
amber

Brandenburg, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2011

Judged:

I am doing a report in english class on why people want to change the driving age. And I was hoping ya'll could help me.
Trololo

Allentown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2011

Judged:

I recall when I was 16 and passed my hs driver training course. I was so excited, but my dad wouldn't let me use his car to take the driving test because my brother had previously wrecked his car. I didn't have a car of my own, so it was obviously a big disappointment. I had to wait until I was 18, but I'm glad that was the way it turned out. I was too immature at 16 and can't help thinking that something bad may have happened. That doesn't mean I don't think there are responsible 16 year old drivers out there. Many are. I've seen some older drivers acting irresponsibly. Drunk drivers are the worst and age is no barrier. Also, the 1st poster of this thread was right; teens need transportation to their jobs. Hopefully all teen drivers will understand safe driving and respect it - for their sakes, as well as others.
amber

Brandenburg, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2011

Judged:

Surf52 wrote:
<quoted text>
The train wreck economy may restore some sanity on these doting parents who feel the need to buy junior a brand mew Mustang GT for his sixteenth birthday.

i like this.......
brian

Fort Washington, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2012

The brain normally develops fully at the age of 18 they say. For some, its later in life. And for others not at all. No offense 16 year olds but, i think it is safer to wait once you graduate from high school. And i know what you're sayin now " omg, wtf, i am sooo mature you have like nooo idea...like lol" yeah, the thing is i do have an idea. You're going to find out how much you'll change with in the next 4 years. Just wait till you're 18 ok? Or do us all a favor and wait till you're 21. Also i think once you hit the age of 59, you must re take the written and driving test.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Scottsdale Discussions

Search the Scottsdale Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Sources: KTVK drops 'Good Morning Arizona' pers... (Mar '09) 3 hr Ace75 613
World Mission Society Church of God Religious F... (Apr '12) 15 hr Nelly 109
Joe Arpaio's Deputy Thinks Most Day-Laborers Ar... (Jul '12) 19 hr so 2
i need black tar 21 hr jeremy rand 1
How to Punish Serial Exhibitionists Tue Jane 1
What is there to do in Phoenix? Tue Mindy 4
New recorded gangs in Arizona.... (Jun '07) Tue delano norte 1,915
•••

Excessive Heat Warning for Maricopa County was issued at July 30 at 12:00PM MST