Auto safety group says raising the driving age to 17 or 18 woul...

Adrian Lund, president of the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, a research group funded by the auto insurance industry, acknowledged the idea is "a tough sell," but noted that car crashes are the leading ... Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Heather

Meriden, CT

#1 Sep 9, 2008
While the Institute would like to be able to change the driving age, in this day in age I find it unfeasable. Driving is no longer considered a privaledge but a necessity in the United States. As our economy continues to weaken, more families are forced to send both parents out to work, leaving their teenagers in charge of younger siblings. The institute also states that these teenagers should have to wait until they are 17 or even 18 to be able to drive. Don't they realize that most teenagers are in college by the time they are 18. How are they going to gain any experience behind the wheel when they are attending college? There is no one way that you will obtain better teenage drivers, there are several and unless everyone works together to accomplish this, nothing will ever be solved. Certainly not by raising the driving age. That is just insane.
Sidorman

Bethlehem, PA

#2 Sep 10, 2008
I personally think that no matter if you lower the drinking age or not, people are still going to drive drunk. Those drunk drivers then should learn that drinking and driving is stupid.
redburn

Tuttle, OK

#3 Sep 22, 2008
I think that raising the age to get your lisens is dumb. I mean they want to change it but when did they get there lisens.
Surf52

Baltimore, MD

#4 Sep 22, 2008
Lower the driving age to 12. Then they'll have a lot more practice by the time they hit 16 and won't have so many accidents.
mommytrish

Delray Beach, FL

#5 Oct 17, 2008
redburn wrote:
I think that raising the age to get your lisens is dumb. I mean they want to change it but when did they get there lisens.
Just another GREAT reason why we should raise the age to get your LICENSE to 18! Such a state full of responsible and educated teens. Pathetic
student A im 16

Lincoln, NE

#6 Jan 22, 2009
well in someways raising it would be good but driving at 16 doesnt depend on the age it depends on the maturity level and skill of driving that 16 year old has....i mean common people have to wait long enough to drive and students most likely have things to do at school,work, etc. and they cant be having there parents drive them everywhere its just too unnessary so in that case they should not raise the age they should just leave it as it is...And if there are accidents its either because teens are acting immature or because of a real accident and everyone has those so they should just quit blaming us i mean how else are we supposed to learn how to drive and exsperience driving if we cant do it untill we graduate i mean common its rediculous....
student A im 16

Lincoln, NE

#7 Jan 22, 2009
and if teens are acting immature while driving then they should have to live with the consequences not other teens that do nothing wrong...!!!
YouHelpFixIt

Scottsdale, AZ

#8 Jan 22, 2009
Surf52 wrote:
Lower the driving age to 12. Then they'll have a lot more practice by the time they hit 16 and won't have so many accidents.
Or raise it to 150 and we wouldn't have any accidents at all.
WoW

Miami, FL

#9 Jan 22, 2009
Student A, welcome to the real world where the criminals get off and the law-abiding citizens are punished. Learn this now, the only way to get ahead is to be a criminal. Our government is so corrupt, how do you fix it?(Although I am holding out hope for Obama) They start out in politics thinking they're going to change the world. By the time they get high enough to do something, they've all ready been bought and paid for by the white collar criminals.
I hold out hope for you also, my Dear One. I hope that your world will be better than the one we're currently in.
Drew

Allentown, PA

#10 Jan 22, 2009
I think the age minimum at 16 is fine. I think the issue in most accidents with young is inexperience behind the wheel. Some may suggest that by 18 they will be more mature and better able to handle the responsibilities of driving. I respectfully disagree. I think driving if properly taught can be used to teach responsibility and that driving gives 18 year olds a perspective they would not have if they were not able to drive sooner. Lets not also forget that parents you have the final say. If you don't think your child is prepared to drive, you don't have to let them.
Surf52

Clarksburg, MD

#11 Jan 24, 2009
YouHelpFixIt wrote:
<quoted text>
Or raise it to 150 and we wouldn't have any accidents at all.
Positively pedestrian!
Murphy

Westchester, IL

#12 Jan 24, 2009
Surf52 wrote:
<quoted text>
Positively pedestrian!
Unless Abe Vigoda is still driving.
Surf52

Clarksburg, MD

#13 Jan 24, 2009
Murphy wrote:
<quoted text> Unless Abe Vigoda is still driving.
After my 85 year old father totlaed his car by drifting off behiund the wheel, he asked me what kind of car he should get. I gave him two recommendations.

A Licoln Town Car with a driver.

A Bumper Car.

He was less than amused, but he got the message. He's no longer driving.
Zorro

Baltimore, MD

#14 Jan 24, 2009
Surf52 wrote:
NOT.

Learner's permit or provisional or restricted license at 17 and full license at 18. CDL or bus driver 21.

You shouldn't need a car when you are 16-17 years old unless you are working. You go to school; take the darn bus like everyone else.
working guy

Allentown, PA

#15 Jan 24, 2009
Rise the driving age and make it a felony to speak on a cell phone even hands free while driving. People die every day because of other people's poor driving.
snowman allentown PA

Sellersville, PA

#16 Jan 24, 2009
I think if we got rid of the cars and trucks we could reduce accidents to nothing, we could reduce pollution, we could use horses and get lots of manure, end of sarcasm. Enforce the laws and make the punishment stiffer and maybe that will stop some of the stuff that happens because parents don't care until the accident.
abby

Walkerton, IN

#17 Feb 3, 2009
Sone people want the driving age to be 18
a person

United States

#18 Feb 19, 2009
i agree, as how if you raise it, its just going to make things worse. i think that families need extra help in everything including getting kids to school.
Mandy

Westchester, IL

#19 Feb 19, 2009
a person wrote:
i agree, as how if you raise it, its just going to make things worse. i think that families need extra help in everything including getting kids to school.
Two gifts God gave us.

One=LEGS, so we are able to WALK.

Two=A BRAIN, so we could invent the engine, which powers the SCHOOL BUS.
Surf52

Kingsville, MD

#20 Feb 21, 2009
Zorro wrote:
<quoted text>
NOT.
Learner's permit or provisional or restricted license at 17 and full license at 18. CDL or bus driver 21.
You shouldn't need a car when you are 16-17 years old unless you are working. You go to school; take the darn bus like everyone else.
You should stop posting until you recognize satire when you see it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scottsdale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pure White Mobile Dialer +8801744778810 Low rat... (Jun '14) 5 hr Rizzo 2
Jimmy Merle Vaņater A.K.A. James or ltaly 17 hr Henu 2
New recorded gangs in Arizona.... (Jun '07) Sat drdee 1,948
Powerful Lobbying firm to host fundraiser for L... Fri Henu 7
Topix General Curioisty Fri Suns 3
black hook up Fri dillysky 1
Arizona Woman Dies From Traumatic Head Injuries... Fri failHard 1
Scottsdale Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web