Scott County School District 2 is bei...

Scott County School District 2 is being ripped off

Posted in the Scottsburg Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
tax payer

Louisville, KY

#1 Nov 18, 2012
I overheard a female in Walmart talking about how a relative is head of the Superintendent's office of Scottsburg Schools and makes almost as much as the Superintendent does. I'm sorry but I'm a tax payer and this really makes me upset and makes the entire school district look foolish if this is true. No one should make anywhere near the Superintendent. If he's just the office manager he shouldn't even make near what the teachers do. I think that guy's been with the schools for years but he shouldn't even make what the eldest teacher does, he doesn't even work with kids if he's in the office. His salary, if it's that high, should have been cut during budget cuts they had a year ago or so or he should be forced to retire. I feel that's a ridiculous waste of our money and someone needs to check into this.
tax payer lost

Grissom Afb, IN

#2 Nov 19, 2012
Scott County School District 2 doesn't have a "Head of the Superintendent's office" You have the Superintendent, the Assistant Superintendent and then you have the Secretary's and the gentleman that's over the Payroll. The people over the Superintendent's office would be our school board, people we elect into their position.
go ask

Kouts, IN

#3 Nov 19, 2012
All public school salaries are public record, which means all you have to do is go ask and either the school board or the office manager will show you. I think in this case you have your facts wrong, but if you would like to know for yourself its pretty simple GO ASK!
tax payer

Louisville, KY

#4 Nov 19, 2012
Well I guess it would be the "gentleman" over payroll then if he's the only other male in there. I have found out his name is Steve Nauman. Regardlss, I think the School Board should check into this especially if there are rumors going around that he makes as much as the superintendent. I hope the rumors are just that because that would be ridiculous. But if he's over payroll a crooked person would pay themselves well wouldn't they? I don't want to think this way but you never know. I might just ask. Thank you both.
retired tax payer

Jasper, IN

#5 Nov 19, 2012
Are the salaries posted on the internet? I think the public would be interested in the salaries--especially since the school claims to be broke..would be a bit awkward to "go ask" what their salaries are...should be easily accessible to the public. Why pay big salaries when my grandchildren no longer get to go on field trips without paying for them.
tax payer lost

Grissom Afb, IN

#6 Nov 19, 2012
I did some checking today for you tax payer. Mr. Nauman does make a lot of money for his position, but it's no where close to what the superintendent makes. From what I was told by someone that works with the district, years ago, his position was voted on, by our school board, to put him under teacher salary. He has his teaching degree and has also taught college classes at nearby colleges. She went on to tell me that he makes what a teacher would be making after this many years of service, so it's not a whole lot, upper $60,000. Superintendent makes over $100,000 from what I've been told, so you're way wrong on that. My husband said it's normal for most people in his position to be paid well. But honestly, for what he does, the countless hours he has to put in, attend ALL of the school board meetings, and anything else that involves the schools finances, I think he's close to being paid fairly. Heck, teachers make that much and only work 185 days a year. He works year round. I work 6 days a week sometimes, year round, and don't make that much, and I have a degree as well. Different strokes for different folks I guess. Finally, he can't pay himself and be a crook. He has to follow same guidelines as anyone else. I guess if you're upset about this, you should attend a school board meeting and address it there. But I think once you get all the facts, you'll see it's not as bad as you thought.
Queen Bee

United States

#7 Nov 19, 2012
tax payer lost wrote:
I did some checking today for you tax payer. Mr. Nauman does make a lot of money for his position, but it's no where close to what the superintendent makes. From what I was told by someone that works with the district, years ago, his position was voted on, by our school board, to put him under teacher salary. He has his teaching degree and has also taught college classes at nearby colleges. She went on to tell me that he makes what a teacher would be making after this many years of service, so it's not a whole lot, upper $60,000. Superintendent makes over $100,000 from what I've been told, so you're way wrong on that. My husband said it's normal for most people in his position to be paid well. But honestly, for what he does, the countless hours he has to put in, attend ALL of the school board meetings, and anything else that involves the schools finances, I think he's close to being paid fairly. Heck, teachers make that much and only work 185 days a year. He works year round. I work 6 days a week sometimes, year round, and don't make that much, and I have a degree as well. Different strokes for different folks I guess. Finally, he can't pay himself and be a crook. He has to follow same guidelines as anyone else. I guess if you're upset about this, you should attend a school board meeting and address it there. But I think once you get all the facts, you'll see it's not as bad as you thought.
Hahahahaha. My husband works in a factory and makes way more than $60,000.
Dr Love

Scottsburg, IN

#8 Nov 19, 2012
Queen Bee wrote:
<quoted text>
Hahahahaha. My husband works in a factory and makes way more than $60,000.
I dont think your husband works in a factory and makes 60k. He may be in supervision or some type of managment position or could be he possible lives there 7 days a week to stay away from the queen!!
WARRIOR

Indianapolis, IN

#10 Nov 20, 2012
getting ripped off why do we need a superintendent, plus an asst superintendent when our enrollment is supposedly declining...why are we so concerned about 25 yr olds instead of what we currently have in our schools....just curious we are setting up degree programs for these people. I'm not sure how much money we would make off of them but a regular school student it is $5500 or more......
tax payer

Louisville, KY

#11 Nov 20, 2012
tax payer lost wrote:
I too did some checking too. I was told he more than likely makes way over $60,000. Think about it, if he's been employed many years he should, just not near 6 digits. I don't care how many hours he works, custodians work year round too but they don't make the big bucks per say. He definitely doesn't deserve to make more than any teacher since he doesn't teach currently. I don't know what you've heard but there are a lot of college teachers that don't make anything near school teachers and your comment about him teaching doesn't have anything to do with what he does now. Things are changed by the Board every year and this is something I as a public taxpaying citizen feel it should be changed if it's true. I've been informed enough and you won't change my opinion. I still feel the Board needs to check it out.
tax payer lost

Grissom Afb, IN

#12 Nov 20, 2012
tax payer wrote:
<quoted text>
I too did some checking too. I was told he more than likely makes way over $60,000. Think about it, if he's been employed many years he should, just not near 6 digits. I don't care how many hours he works, custodians work year round too but they don't make the big bucks per say. He definitely doesn't deserve to make more than any teacher since he doesn't teach currently. I don't know what you've heard but there are a lot of college teachers that don't make anything near school teachers and your comment about him teaching doesn't have anything to do with what he does now. Things are changed by the Board every year and this is something I as a public taxpaying citizen feel it should be changed if it's true. I've been informed enough and you won't change my opinion. I still feel the Board needs to check it out.
I said upper $60,000 for his salary. If you check public records, the most a teacher makes in the district is low $70,000, and that's after at least 30 years. Now I'm not an expert, nor do I claim to know much about the schools, but I do know that he has a contract and you can't lower the pay just because you feel like he's making too much. He's protected by the union. They would have to restructure his official job duties and then do a lot of other things for any changes to take place. And no, he doesn't teach now, but for what ever reason, years ago, the school board voted yes to set his salary this way since he had a teachers degree. I'm curious on why you are so worried about what he makes and why you want only his salary looked at. I remember you saying you overhead this at a store, but why take that information and throw it on here??? Why not be upset at the schools for creating teaching positions to get coaches in the past? Why not be upset that we might have a charter school here in our small city that will cost you and me even more on taxes? Why not be upset that they pay teacher the same amount Mr. Nauman makes but only works 185 days a year? Even if they lowered his salary or when he retires, you replace him with someone who makes less, your taxes are going to stay the same. I just spoke to a board member on the phone, good friends with her and she said that the school gets a set amount of dollar funding from the state, tax payers and grants each year, based on student enrollment and other criteria. If you knock $20,000 off his salary, that money is used elsewhere that the state says it can go. The school board doesn't get to chose 100% on how the money is spent, there are guidelines. To me, this is just a witch hunt after a man you don't like, or a school system you don't like. I would love for you to use your real name and speak up at a school board meeting. Never been before, but would if I knew you would be there. My husband and I would both go!!!!
tax payer

Louisville, KY

#13 Nov 21, 2012
tax payer lost wrote:
<quoted text>
I said upper $60,000 for his salary. If you check public records, the most a teacher makes in the district is low $70,000, and that's after at least 30 years. Now I'm not an expert, nor do I claim to know much about the schools, but I do know that he has a contract and you can't lower the pay just because you feel like he's making too much. He's protected by the union. They would have to restructure his official job duties and then do a lot of other things for any changes to take place. And no, he doesn't teach now, but for what ever reason, years ago, the school board voted yes to set his salary this way since he had a teachers degree. I'm curious on why you are so worried about what he makes and why you want only his salary looked at. I remember you saying you overhead this at a store, but why take that information and throw it on here??? Why not be upset at the schools for creating teaching positions to get coaches in the past? Why not be upset that we might have a charter school here in our small city that will cost you and me even more on taxes? Why not be upset that they pay teacher the same amount Mr. Nauman makes but only works 185 days a year? Even if they lowered his salary or when he retires, you replace him with someone who makes less, your taxes are going to stay the same. I just spoke to a board member on the phone, good friends with her and she said that the school gets a set amount of dollar funding from the state, tax payers and grants each year, based on student enrollment and other criteria. If you knock $20,000 off his salary, that money is used elsewhere that the state says it can go. The school board doesn't get to chose 100% on how the money is spent, there are guidelines. To me, this is just a witch hunt after a man you don't like, or a school system you don't like. I would love for you to use your real name and speak up at a school board meeting. Never been before, but would if I knew you would be there. My husband and I would both go!!!!
It's an open forum and that's why I can put whatever I want just like you. I love this school district and my kids wouldn't go anywhere else, that's why I care. I just wish he would ask his relatives to respect him and not talk in public about it so I wouldn't have to here it. It really seems like your the one so upset for some reason. This will be my last response so you don't need to worry about what I do because again you won't change my opinion. Thank you.
Joyce

New Albany, IN

#14 Nov 21, 2012
You like this school district?? Really??? As a recent graduate of SHS, I can tell you that there are much better school districts than this one. Maybe it has improved, but it was pretty horrible when I graduated, which was in 2008.
Drew

Jasper, IN

#17 Nov 22, 2012
Give them a test wrote:
I think that the teachers of both 1&2 should be given a test, prove that they can still teach! Before we pay them!
Thats the policy Tony Bennett had implemented--and all the teachers hated him!! I agree--test them!Why are the teachers so afraid of the charter school--they were the majority speaking against it all the meetings.
teachers afraid

Grissom Afb, IN

#18 Nov 22, 2012
Drew wrote:
<quoted text>Thats the policy Tony Bennett had implemented--and all the teachers hated him!! I agree--test them!Why are the teachers so afraid of the charter school--they were the majority speaking against it all the meetings.
Teachers are afraid of the charter school because if it gets up and going strong, a lot of teachers in Scottsburg and Austin will lose their jobs and a school or two might be shut down. Did you know that SCSD2 is the biggest employer in Scottsburg?? Our community can't withstand a Charter School. We already have 2 High Schools, 2 Middle Schools, 5 Elementary schools and that's not counting Crothersville north of us 7 miles and Henryville south of us 10 miles. Our poor community can't handle more jobs lost and tax dollars spent. And I agree, teaches need to be held accountable for their job performance. But as a parent, knowing other parents and their kids, I don't think it's fair to lay 100% of the job on the teachers for these kids to learn. Parents have to step up and start holding their OWN kids accountable and not blaming everyone else. Parents around here have to give a damn and care. Life isn't like it was 20 years ago. Guess I'm an old whipper snapper!!!
Drew

Jasper, IN

#19 Nov 22, 2012
Who will be leading the charter school now? In order for parents to make informed decisions about moving their children to a new school we need more information...and where will it be? I understand the first year there will be no transportation, how can that be possible?
hmmm hmmm hmmm

Grissom Afb, IN

#20 Nov 23, 2012
Steve Nauman, years ago, made a deal. We had a Superintendent by the name of Dr. Charles Thompson. Him and Mr. Nauman made an under the table deal for his salary, and that he would go back to school and get his teachers license, which he did. I think from the source I talked to, he does make between $60,000 to $70,000, but the school board NEVER voted on it.
I was told that in Central Office, they have all the board minutes from past meetings, going years back. If you go through them, you will never see this being voted on. So yes Tax Payer, I think this needs to be looked upon and why he was able to set his own salary as a teacher.
Finally, wanna really stir the pot, how did he hold down his job as the Treasurer and do his student teaching??????
Kar

Jasper, IN

#21 Nov 23, 2012
And his wife was also hired by Dist 2 last year..
Eagle

United States

#22 Nov 23, 2012
You need to get your facts straight. 1. Steve Nauman is not with the union. His salary is voted on by the school board that is elected by citizens in the county. He takes care of all payroll, insurance, retirement. If he were to work for another district his pay would be much higher. 2. The teachers in this county work much more than 185 days a year. They work hard everyday without overtime benefits. Look at salaries in other counties, Scott. County is one of the lowest in the state.3. Charter schools you need to get your facts straight also, the board is appointed, and many are owned by corporations. They operate for a profit. They do not have to follow the same guidelines as a public school. This county will be divided even more if the charter school gets started. These schools can also pick which students they want to attend. The haves will get more and the rest will be left out. People need to stop putting the blame on the school system. Help make our public schools better.
Eagle

United States

#23 Nov 23, 2012
Oh and the comment about teachers having to take a test, they do. They have to complete 4 years of college and take the NTE. Every 5 years they have to take 6 college hours to renew . This is all out of their own pocket. How about parents taking a test before they can have children. Many of the kids in this county come from parents that are addicted to drugs, the parents are in jail and being raised by grandparents, or have no respect for education. Kids are missing 20 to 40 days a year and nothing is being done about it. Teachers work hard everyday with little or no support. Parents need to wake up and take some of the responsibility of raising your children.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scottsburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
anti-everything 3 hr Cropduster 9
Manpower drug testing 3 hr big joe 2
Lauren Freeze 7 hr Anti-everything 32
kris craig?? 10 hr Joe dirt 3
Hey Larry Huff 17 hr Biker Guy 1
Curious 18 hr Noone 1
Scotty Vires married and dating Stephanie Stacy... 18 hr SCOOTER 4

Scottsburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance