Drink tax tough to swallow

Drink tax tough to swallow

There are 11 comments on the GoErie.com story from Jun 16, 2008, titled Drink tax tough to swallow. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

A stiff drink comes with a stiff tax in Pittsburgh and surrounding towns these days, and that has made the county executive public enemy No.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

Roger

Gibsonia, PA

#1 Jun 16, 2008
The tax and price of a drink is not STIFF enough.
Beer Drinker

Erie, PA

#3 Jun 16, 2008
This is bad news. McCain said he will veto every single beer if he's elected.

By the way.....where the hell is his flag pin?
Just me

Erie, PA

#4 Jun 16, 2008
Roger wrote:
The tax and price of a drink is not STIFF enough.
Why? Are you trying to regulate behavior by taxation? Great philosophy, and it ends up in a house of cards. Look at the cigarette tax money. Tons of money from those federal and state taxes comes in. People still smoke. Government relies on that money for its budget. Anti-smoking forces insist on higher taxes to get people to quit. If they do, where will the money come from to help governments balance their budgets?

Essentially, all you're advocating is Prohibition through taxation, rather than through legislation. Either way, it's garbage.
MRRJ

Lexington Park, MD

#5 Jun 16, 2008
Great idea! Let's tax all the new restaurant/microbreweries out of business.
SoberUpTeddy

Franklin, PA

#6 Jun 16, 2008
Beer Drinker - Maybe he left it at the Hanoi Hilton.
Roger

Gibsonia, PA

#7 Jun 17, 2008
You have a hefty tax on smokes, why not on Alcohol. Whats fair for the Goose is fair for the Ganderr. Plus it might limit the time they sit their as-es on a bar stool and saving a life, yours and mine.
ihatetheredskins

United States

#8 Jun 19, 2008
i just read a similar article at
http://www.pintsofbeer.com/index.php/archives...

anyway this must be a bigger issue than i thought. i think yes you can tax alcohol but not more so. they call it the sin tax so its obvious its a target not a economic strategy. they need to step back and do it as an item, not a target
angelstar701

Mckeesport, PA

#9 Jun 19, 2008
A glass of wine per day is supposed to be good for the heart. Where's the sin? Just ANOTHER way to grab more cash from you and put it into THEIR hands. Next it will be coffee,then chocolate...it won't stop until you can't affod anything more than your government distribution.
Smedley

Wheeling, WV

#10 Jun 19, 2008
affod? You've swallowed more than one glass of chablis. But you are a repukican.
angelstar701

Mckeesport, PA

#11 Jun 19, 2008
Maybe you don't mind your money going to welfare mamas, illegals, people that don't deserve it. am sick of it. I guess I'll have to start making my own wine--in a couple of years they'll start taxing grapes!
eddie

Erie, PA

#12 Jun 19, 2008
since the state pass the smoking ban let pass a drinking ban drinker kills more than smoking did..how about guns tired hear that people kills people with guns so out law the guns..and why just stop there lets go after abortion this rally kills babies so let stop this madness now let ask our goverment to take our rights away from us because we can not decide for ourself so lets have them decide for us.. come on goveror rendell thnk for us lets pass more laws

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scott Township Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Charlie Moffat May '16 Tony 1
News Crafton police officer charged in hit-and-run (Jul '09) May '16 Pgh Five O 7,616
News Cathedral Prep tennis players advance to Altoon... Apr '16 Lucy Jane 1
Vote For Donald Trump Mar '16 so you know 1
Hiring 3 Sales Associates Feb '16 Faith Malutich 1
Public works interviews today (Nov '15) Nov '15 Old folk looking 1
Crafton borough public works (Nov '15) Nov '15 Old folk looking 1

Scott Township Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Scott Township Mortgages