Eccles mine to begin production

Aug 11, 2007 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Register-herald.com

“We want to work with the community.”

Coal production will begin this month at the new Beckley Pocahontas Mine in Eccles, owned by International Coal Group of Scott Depot,. The mine is ready for operation after a year of massive construction, ... via Register-herald.com

Comments
1 - 19 of 19 Comments Last updated Sep 21, 2011

Since: Sep 07

Walnut Cove, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2007

I sure hope the Miners who lost their lives there are honored.. My Bride of 34 years lost her grandfather at Eccles Mines in a Roof Fall..
Ookie

Albemarle, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2007

While it's good that people are getting work, it's kinda sad that they had to open that mine. I have fond memories of playing there when I was a teenager.

There was a medical litter in one of the abandoned buildings and I used some canvas that was near it to make a canoe to paddle around in the little crystal clear pond that was there. I had a lot of fun with that canoe until someone stole it.

And taking my station wagon around that shaft opening? That was a ball! Going up that steep hill and then turning and going straight down. I loved doing that. Used to scare the crap out of people that way.

And that shaft opening itself! God that was fun. Me and an old friend used to see how brave we were and would take turns seeing how far down we could go. The shaft was full of water and the roof kept getting lower and lower. It was pitch dark and every once in a while you'd hear this terrifying moaning sound come from the mountain. Sheer terror at it's best.

And I used to love dropping things down the ventilation shafts. It would take forever to hear it hit bottom. I think they were around 700ft deep. My math could have been off though.

Even the simple security of knowing that no one would disturb you when you were parking with your girlfriend was wonderful. I never once had any interruptions when we parked there at night.

That mine was a lot of great fun when it was closed. I sure hope it makes enough money to be worth losing that great of a resource.

Since: Oct 07

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2007

Its not the exact same mine. Same coal seam but an entire new mine.

As for the miners who died there, ICG when they was building the mine came across the old memorial of the miners who died that had become run down and grown up. Well they cut the weeds and fixed up the memorial.
Shut em down

Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2011

Close the mines
it is I

Mount Hope, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2011

Shut em down wrote:
Close the mines
Turn off your electricity and prove you mean what you stand for.
Shut em down

Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2011

Our power doesn't come from coal! It comes from Ohio! Our coal power goes south! Ur so In the dark
it is I

Mount Hope, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2011

Shut em down wrote:
Our power doesn't come from coal! It comes from Ohio! Our coal power goes south! Ur so In the dark
You are an idiot, I bet you are one of those types that bought into the scam the power company was selling awhile back where you could pay extra and they would tell you your electricity was coming from "green" sources. What a crock. When it gets to the lines, it doesn't matter where it originated or goes to, it becomes one mass of electrons. You, my friend are the one in the dark. Oh, wait, you enjoy that coal fired electricity, so you are not in the dark. Keep those lights burning, ac and heat running, computer going and fridge humming, coal miners love you.
info

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2011

Shut em down wrote:
U are so wrong ,, our power comes from Glen Lyn ,Va aprox 30 miles from here and is coal fired, but the plants in Ohio are coal fired as well and are supplied by coal produced here as well!
Shut em down

Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2011

Not for long....coal is going to b a thing of the past. Actually my power comes from the solar cells sitting on my roof, not ur coal. The power to the substations in summers and eastern Raleigh co comes from Virginia. Beckleys from Ohio and Kentucky produced coal. I wish all of wvs mines would shut down so we'd have no industry. Everyone would have to move. No use in having walmart or mcdonald's with no coal miners. Let nature reclaim the area.
it is I

Mount Hope, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2011

Shut em down wrote:
Not for long....coal is going to b a thing of the past. Actually my power comes from the solar cells sitting on my roof, not ur coal. The power to the substations in summers and eastern Raleigh co comes from Virginia. Beckleys from Ohio and Kentucky produced coal. I wish all of wvs mines would shut down so we'd have no industry. Everyone would have to move. No use in having walmart or mcdonald's with no coal miners. Let nature reclaim the area.
Oh, boy, another internet solar panel user. I bet you are just one of the greenest environazis around, liar. Prove it. show us pics of your solar panels on your house. you wont, except you might post some random picture you got from google, again showing what a fraud you are. You are a moron. Leave if you think things are going well here. Let nature reclaim your home first. But that wont happen just like we will never see proof of those non existent solar panels. How does it feel to live so sad a life you have to lie on the internet to feel worth something?
Shut em down

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2011

Can u actually post photos on here? Why would I put photos of my own home on here to prove a point. That's like me asking 'it is i' to post ur actual name, phone #, and address.....dumb. It's fine that u don't believe it, but it's true. Why are u so irrational about the dangers of mining to our environment. Why do u not care? What's wrong with alternative forms of energy?
it is I

Mount Hope, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2011

Shut em down wrote:
Can u actually post photos on here? Why would I put photos of my own home on here to prove a point. That's like me asking 'it is i' to post ur actual name, phone #, and address.....dumb. It's fine that u don't believe it, but it's true. Why are u so irrational about the dangers of mining to our environment. Why do u not care? What's wrong with alternative forms of energy?
Thanks for just letting us know you are the fraud/liar everyone sees you as. Yes, its true, you are the enviro hero of the week. Yes, you oould post some pics on photobucket, send us a link and prove it. Oh, yes that is right, you have been on here before telling us about your solar panels. And you where caught in a lie then and still a lie now. Thanks for proving you are still a liar and a idiot. Irrational about mining? where did I say anything about it? You where the irrational one. Yes, let us know how the thousands of families and businesses (and the countless others who rely on mining) will make a living? Oh, thats right, you want us all to leave. You first. Put your money where your mouth is. abandon your home and let the land reclaim it like you suggested. What a moron. How does it feel to be a fraud, liar and idiot? Your parents are proud.
Shut em down

Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2011

It is I..... U throw so many petty insults without answering a single question! Grow up and have a discussion.
it is I

Mount Hope, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2011

Shut em down wrote:
It is I..... U throw so many petty insults without answering a single question! Grow up and have a discussion.
Shut em down, you throw so many idiotic statements its laughable. now, prove you use solar. You cant and wont. You are a fraud and a liar. Oh, by the way, the DOE, Pace University and some other government and private funded organizations have written some studies that show in the short term, between 2014 and 2017, coal production will drop SLIGHTLY, but then it will surge and coal use and mining will increase dramatically. THe only growing will be coal use, not only here, but across the globe. Thanks for your support though, coal is keeping the computer you are using turned on. It is fun chatting with you, even though you have proven yourself a liar and a fraud.....unless you want to show PROOF. Oh, another way you could prove it to us, or just me if that is ok, email your google map coordinates, using google earth, I could see your solar panels. But then, we know what we would see. A power line to your house.
Mommy

Chesapeake, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2011

it is I wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for just letting us know you are the fraud/liar everyone sees you as. Yes, its true, you are the enviro hero of the week. Yes, you oould post some pics on photobucket, send us a link and prove it. Oh, yes that is right, you have been on here before telling us about your solar panels. And you where caught in a lie then and still a lie now. Thanks for proving you are still a liar and a idiot. Irrational about mining? where did I say anything about it? You where the irrational one. Yes, let us know how the thousands of families and businesses (and the countless others who rely on mining) will make a living? Oh, thats right, you want us all to leave. You first. Put your money where your mouth is. abandon your home and let the land reclaim it like you suggested. What a moron. How does it feel to be a fraud, liar and idiot? Your parents are proud.
NOW, NOW Boys! Get your Lego's, back to your corners, it's time out til you learn to behave.
it is I

Mount Hope, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2011

Mommy wrote:
<quoted text>NOW, NOW Boys! Get your Lego's, back to your corners, it's time out til you learn to behave.
Just calling out the liars, glad to see you support the frauds.
Summer rain

Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2011

Geez,'it is I' can really get his panties in a wad!
Chill
it is I

Mount Hope, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2011

Summer rain wrote:
Geez,'it is I' can really get his panties in a wad!
Chill
If getting his panties in a wad means not putting up with stupidity, yes, I guess you are right. I am chilled, a cold beer and some tunes on right now.
it is I

Mount Hope, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2011

Oh, and by the way, after some looking back on some research I had done, I need to clarify one of my post. The US Energy Information Administration projects coal use and production to decline short term but to increase in the long term. "After 2014, coal production grows at an average annual rate of 1.1 percent through 2035, with increases in coal use for electricity generation and for the production of synthetic liquids." "Coal production in the Reference case increases by 21 percent from 2009 to 2035, whereas the alternative cases show changes ranging from a decrease of 4 percent to an increase of 41 percent." That depends largely on the source, environmental groups, or research, industry, government and studies from universities.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Scott Depot Discussions

Search the Scott Depot Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
WV Who do you support for U.S. Senate in West Virg... (Oct '10) 37 min Yes it is me 53,477
casa grande (Oct '13) 40 min haha 7
job interview 1 hr The real Tyree 5
Kiki McClure 3 hr The dude 1
Tina Harper 7 hr I would like to know 6
older gentleman by the name of Pete Harns any i... (Feb '13) 8 hr Sumj 14
dealer (May '12) 8 hr honest abe 7
•••
•••
•••
Scott Depot Dating

more search filters

less search filters