Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

Thank you Paul
Paul Granski wrote:
<quoted text>
Elizabeth, I grew up on the other side of Salem Road and remember your Dad as a good man.
DES

Columbia, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2013

I was about 8 years old when the Riots broke out in Plainfield, I remember one of the person that was sent to prison for killing of the police officer. I remember him because, he was a very good track Hurdler I would watch him train when I was a kid because he lived down the street from me. I now live in Columbia MD. I am so sorry for what happen to the police officer and there family because a child and mother lost there Father and Husband. No murders is right no matter black or white or any other race of people it is wrong because God's Word says thou shall not murder.
RON RUSSO

Caldwell, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2013

Judged:

I TOO WAS 9 AT THAT TIME AND I WAS THE ONLY WHITE KID IN MY 4TH GRADE CLASS. IT WAS A SUMMER NIGHT THAT I WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER. WE WERE RETURNING FROM THE MOVIES AND WE SAW THE PARKING LOT OF OUR CHURCH, ST. MARY'S ON FIRE. WE GOT TO THE END OF OUR STREET AND WERE MET BY THE NATIONAL GAURD THAT TOLD US WE COULD GO DOWN OUR STREET BUT AT OUR OWN RISK. WE DROVE DOWN THE STREET WITH OUR LIGHTS OFF AND RAN INTO OUR HOUSE AND YES WE SLEPT ON THE FLOOR TO THE SOUND OF GUN FIRE ALL NIGHT. IN THE MORNING WE WATCH ON THE NEWS AS THEY HIGHLIGHED A AREA OF ROITING AND WE WERE RIGHT IN THE CENTER OF IT. WE DID LEAVE THAT MORNING AND MOVED OUT FROM THE HOUSE I WAS BORN IN SEVERAL YEARS LATER
rmcwj wrote:
I was nine years-old at the time of the riots in Plainfield. The most frightening events for me were seeing the National Guard in their tanks traveling the streets and scrambling under my bed when bullets hit my bedroom window.
The 1967 riots forever changed the demographics of the "Queen City", which has never been able to recover educationally, socially, economically, politically, etc.
Seven years ago I relocated to another state. However, I keep abreast of its current status via the online newspaper and friends. Honestly, I am appalled and disappointed regarding the present status of my hometown.
God help Plainfield, NJ!
Elizabeth Faraone

South Plainfield, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2013

Judged:

The Plainfield police were not permitted to enter the area of upheaval. If they had been permitted to enter, it would have been a bloodbath. Fortunately, to their chagrin, they were prevented from adding insult to what they had already injured.
Every policeman on the beat in Plainfield was a racist, unfortunately. When we look at the history of racism in the US, many white children deny that their parents were a part of that racism, when they, in fact, were racists. I have seen many white people deny that racism against black people existed, meanwhile I REMEMBER and OTHERS REMEMBER the specific racism exhibited by them and their parents. For example, Mrs. Pellegrino called my younger sister (we have white skin, but we don't have racist hearts) a "n**ger lover" in the mid 1970s when she had an innocent childhood romance with a little boy who was black.
It is ON RECORD that the Plainfield police were clamoring to wreak havoc where the upheaval was occurring. They desired to continue what Gleason had started when he chased a looter and shot him. The brutal attack on Gleason occurred after Gleason shot the looter. The attack was motivated by Gleason's own brutality. I do not condone either incidences of violence.
No doubt, Elizabeth Gleason, who was only a child when her father was beaten beyond recognition, would have wanted the Plainfield police to invade the area, with revenge in their hearts, retaliating with great force and violence.
Does anyone know what happened to the looter who was shot? No. But everyone knows what happened to Gleason because of white racism. At the time of the upheavel, the newspapers were fed misinformation from the police and Gleason's family. Many different stories were told about what went down before Gleason was attacked.
Gleason's attackers were repeating the brutal behavior of police officers that they had witnessed in their pasts. A behavior that the police would continue to exhibit in black poverty stricken areas throughout the 1970s.
So it's time to tell the truth and shame the devil. Racism is alive and well on this forum.
Elizabeth Faraone

South Plainfield, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2013

"If one really wishes to know how justice is administered in a country, one does not question the policemen, the lawyers, the judges, or the protected members of the middle class. One goes to the unprotected -- those, precisely, who need the law's protection most -- and listens to their testimony." - James Baldwin, No Name in the Street

The author of the Nation article entitled "Riot and Reunion: Forty Years Later", Peter Dreier, did just this. He reported the witness account of Maurrie Brown.
Wayne

Wilmington, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2013

Judged:

Elizabeth you make statements and claims of the mindset of people from an event 46 years ago. You provide no evidence. If this were a court of law a somewhat competent lawyer would discredit you in 60 seconds.
You are being a little hard on Mrs Pellegrino aren't you It was an angry and bitter time for everyone. The city has been on a downward spiral ever since the riots. Everyone with resources left Plainfield. White and Black.
There nothing like listening to the self portrayed, morally superior whites claim they treated the blacks fairly and righteously. I remember the those whites who marched, went to demonstrations and civil rights rallies chanting "SAY IT LOUD I'M BLACK AND I'M PROUD". Then when the first black families moved into their neighborhood they were the first ones to put a for sale sign on their property.
There were 2 philosophies being presented by the predominant black leaders. There was MLK and civil disobedience and there were a number of militant voice striving for violence and aggression. The militant voices resonated and won out in 1967. The results speak for themselves. If you want stats read "The Consequences of the 1960's Race Riots come into view." Virginia Postrel, Dec 30, 2004, African American Org.
Elizabeth when did you leave? Shame the devil? The hypocrites are alive and well on this forum.
Elizabeth Faraone

South Plainfield, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2014

What is your full name? You were a reporter and a racist one at that, insinuating that "we [white Americans] were at war" with "the blacks." Please give me your full name so that I can look up any misreportings you made in the local newspapers.
Elizabeth Faraone

South Plainfield, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2014

Michael, please ask those who you know who were witnesses or were involved in the 1967 uprising in Plainfield to contribute to the page I created for authentic witnesses to tell their stories: https://www.facebook.com/groups/3435804091105...
Elizabeth Faraone

South Plainfield, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2014

There were much more than two philosophies. And Martin Luther King was extremely radical. He was NEVER a moderate. Non-violence does not mean moderate - in fact, non-violence is a radical position, in this age of war mongering. He vehemently opposed the Vietnam war and as he was beginning his struggle to fight for the rights of the poverty stricken, he was assassinated by the US government.

My family never fled Plainfield and my father died eight years ago in our Dixie Lane home. We moved in one year AFTER the riots because my mother didn't want her six daughters to grow up to be racists and we all attended the public schools and graduated from Plainfield High School. My mother was an authentic civil rights activist on Long Island, fighting for, among many things, fair housing, early head start and the civil rights of migrant workers. We had bomb threats on our home made by angry, white people.

As for me - I left Plainfield to attend college at Rutgers University in New Brunswick where I studied African American History, Women's History, Art History and Psychology and was a research assistant for one of the psychology professors. After college, I moved to New York City, a very vibrant and intellectually stimulating place to live and I lived at 101st St. on the East Side of Manhattan and in Prospect Heights and Bed Stuy in Brooklyn. I moved back to Plainfield in 2005 and am living walking distance to the Plainfield Public Library, where there is information about the uprising in 1967 that contradicts the right wing sentiments expressed here on this thread and in the local newspapers in 1967.

I want to correct an error I made in my above statement about Gleason chasing a looter. There is no evidence that who Gleason shot was a looter.
Michael

Mclean, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2014

Judged:

Thomas wrote:
I was a reporter in 1967 and covered the Plainfield riots. Besides killing John Gleason, the blacks ambushed and shot and killed another officer and wounded a second. We were at war in those days, and not the one in Vietnam.
What agenda are you trying to push??? Are you a congenital liar or simply a blatant liar? What you stated NEVER happened. Why are you trying to fuel an already volatile and sad part of our past? I sincerely hope that you receive your full measure in you life. You're disgusting and WILL be exposed.
Jim T

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Monday Mar 31

I believe you are thinking of Federated Electronics or Music, i cant remember exactly. they sold radios and TVs also.
Vit wrote:
<quoted text>
There was another music store across the street from the beautiful Paramount Movie Theater. It specialized in sheet music. I forget the name. They had stacks and stacks of sheet music.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 61 - 71 of71
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Fire Weather Watch for Union County was issued at April 22 at 3:48PM EDT

•••
•••

Scotch Plains News Video

•••
•••

Scotch Plains Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Scotch Plains People Search