Dedicated parishioners solemnly mark milestone

Full story: Berkshire Eagle

This is the irony of St. Stanislaus Kostka Church: The church is supposed to close, but the community is only getting stronger.
Comments
1 - 20 of 23 Comments Last updated May 12, 2010
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
buy a used jesus

Leicester, MA

#1 May 10, 2010
The article says:

The building no longer hosts prayer services, Tomkowicz said. But there are regular rosary sessions.

"My understanding is that you can pray anywhere," he said.

You can pray anywhere, yet these people fight to pray only at a closed church.

Clinging to religion- how quaint- how pathetic- how 12th Century.
Eddie

Atlantic City, NJ

#2 May 10, 2010
Hope the Bishop wakes up and gives the people their Church back. These are great people who just want to go to Mass in their Church. The bishop should appreciate their desire to do good and keep their Church active.
lolz

Medford, MA

#3 May 10, 2010
its 2010...when will people wake up and stop being brain washed by religion.
Polish American

Conway, SC

#4 May 10, 2010
lolz wrote:
This is less about religion and more about these people's heritage. I can only respect and admire them.
Sandra

AOL

#5 May 10, 2010
lolz wrote:
And when will you wake up and stop being brainwashed by atheism and newspeak?
hmmm

Bryantville, MA

#6 May 10, 2010
Why doesn't the diocese contact someone like the Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter or Institute of Christ the King and establish St. Stans as a Latin Mass parish or oratory? Many other diocese have done this with churches that were destined for closure!

http://www.fssp.org/en/index.htm

http://www.institute-christ-king.org/home/
my advice

United States

#7 May 10, 2010
buy a used jesus wrote:
The article says:
The building no longer hosts prayer services, Tomkowicz said. But there are regular rosary sessions.
Yes, religious freedom - what a shame, hey?(You're getting the sarcasm, I assume?)
Dick Nixon

Williamstown, MA

#8 May 10, 2010
"A man is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits."
donekfl

Orlando, FL

#9 May 10, 2010
I am very happy to see you are continuing your resistance. In thiese times, I agree with the Eddie,I would think the Church would be excited to have such a positive group. Maybe thid speaks more about why the Church is losing members - Wake up Bishop!
Steven

Pittsfield, MA

#10 May 10, 2010
Eddie wrote:
Hope the Bishop wakes up and gives the people their Church back. These are great people who just want to go to Mass in their Church. The bishop should appreciate their desire to do good and keep their Church active.
1. Guess what? The Church is NOT, nor has it ever been, the building! The Biblical Church referred to the PEOPLE!
2. Learn to let go, people. Seriously. You're just wasting space in the paper and in the town. Each of you, take a brick when they tear the place down and put in a new pizza place, and move on.
master of disaster

Pittsfield, MA

#11 May 10, 2010
my advice wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, religious freedom - what a shame, hey?(You're getting the sarcasm, I assume?)
Nothing wrong with religious freedom. But if you choose to lock yourself into a rigid structured system like the Catholic Church, don't start whining when the rules aren't to your liking. Go along or go somewhere else.
FJoe

United States

#12 May 10, 2010
Steven wrote:
<quoted text>
1. Guess what? The Church is NOT, nor has it ever been, the building! The Biblical Church referred to the PEOPLE!
2. Learn to let go, people. Seriously. You're just wasting space in the paper and in the town. Each of you, take a brick when they tear the place down and put in a new pizza place, and move on.
Dude if my grandparents built a church with their own labor and money at a time when money was scarce, damn right I would fight to keep it open.

It makes me laugh when I read about the people who criticize religious beliefs. The Europeans worship their soccer teams, around here people worship the Red Sox (try to close Fenway and see what happens), plenty of people worship money, and atheism is an organized religion unto itself. We all have religion; it is the nature of the human beast.
Keep the Faith

Ludlow, MA

#13 May 10, 2010
Best of luck, I hope it works!
Syracuse, NY is charging taxes on former Churches not used for Religious non-profit purposes....
Traditional Catholic

Schoharie, NY

#14 May 10, 2010
hmmm wrote:
Why doesn't the diocese contact someone like the Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter or Institute of Christ the King and establish St. Stans as a Latin Mass parish or oratory? Many other diocese have done this with churches that were destined for closure!
http://www.fssp.org/en/index.htm
http://www.institute-christ-king.org/home/
Catholic's need to wake up.....you have the right idea..just the wrong groups to offer the True Mass..FSSP and Christ the King are also part of the New World Order Church....There money goes right back to Rome...
"In the Third Secret [of Fatima] it is foretold, among other things, that the great apostasy in the Church will begin at the top."
--Mario L. Ciappi, Novus Ordo cardinal and household theologian to John Paul II; quoted in The Devil's Final Battle, p. 33

"...the great movement of apostasy being organized in every country for the establishment of a One-World Church which shall have neither dogmas, nor hierarchy, neither discipline for the mind, nor curb for the passions, and which, under the pretext of freedom and human dignity, would bring back to the world (if such a Church could overcome) the reign of legalized cunning and force, and the oppression of the weak, and of all those who toil and suffer.[...] Indeed, the true friends of the people are neither revolutionaries, nor innovators: they are traditionalists."
--Pope Saint Pius X, Letter "Our Apostolic Mandate" to the French Episcopate, 1910
Traditional Catholic

Schoharie, NY

#15 May 10, 2010
On December 8, 1869, the International Congress of Freemasons imposed it as a duty on all its members to do all in their power to wipe out Catholicity from the face of the earth. Cremation was proposed as a suitable means to this end, since it was calculated to gradually undermine the faith of the people in 'the resurrection of the body and life everlasting.'"
--Fr. John Laux, Catholic Morality (Imprimatur 1932), p. 106

"I hear around me reformers who want to dismantle the Holy Sanctuary, destroy the universal flame of the Church, to discard all her adornments, and smite her with remorse for her historic past."
--Cardinal Eugenio Pacelli, later Pope Pius XII, to Count Enrico P. Galeazzi
Traditional Catholic

Schoharie, NY

#16 May 10, 2010
www.mostholyfamilymonastery.com

www.traditio.com

Maybe they are praying for the the wrong reasons

Regarding the Holy Rosary, Sister Lucia told Father Fuentes in a famous 1957 interview:

"Look, Father, the Most Holy Virgin in these last times in which we live has given a new efficacy to the recitation of the Holy Rosary. She has given this efficacy to such an extent that there is no problem, no matter how difficult it is, whether temporal or above all, spiritual, in the personal life of each one of us, of our families, of the families of the world, or of the religious communities, or even of the life of peoples and nations that cannot be solved by the Rosary. There is no problem I tell you, no matter how difficult it is, that we cannot resolve by the prayer of the Holy Rosary. With the Holy Rosary, we will save ourselves. We will sanctify ourselves. We will console Our Lord and obtain the salvation of many souls."
glorybe1929

Colorado Springs, CO

#17 May 10, 2010
What's your point in keeping vigil over your church? Do you still have a priest who says mass there? If not what are you saving it for?
Plausible Paul

Pearl City, HI

#18 May 10, 2010
buy a used jesus wrote:
The article says:
I totally disagree. I think it is absolutely wonderful. God Bless each and everyone of them. I will add their petition to keep their church open in my daily prayers as well. When I come back to visit Pittsfield I will definately visit St.Stanislaus Church as well as my beloved St. Joseph's Church and Father Mike. Bring your mean-spirited hatred somewhere else. Many other hate filled forums you can participate in.

God Bless St. Stanislaus Church and all of the parishoners!
dudette

North Adams, MA

#19 May 10, 2010
Our grandparents and great-grandparents (along with thousands of other people of the Catholic faith) built a church with their hard earned monies and handed the deed over to the diocese assuming (and we now know what that means) that the church would be there for generations to come and where their children, grandchildren, etc. could worship. Little did they know what the diocese would do to their church less than two generations later. If they did know, do you think they would have given so freely? They must be turning over in their graves.
master of disaster

Pittsfield, MA

#20 May 11, 2010
Plausible Paul wrote:
<quoted text>
God Bless each and everyone of them.
Plausible Paul? More like Tiny Tim.

Maybe your god will get hold of the Nazi pope and tell him to reinstate the lamedicks of Adams- after all, there's money to be made, right?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scituate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Misconduct Charges Against Plymouth Cty Family... (Jan '08) Thu jessfd517 225
Arrest Log: 12/15/2010 (Dec '10) Aug 20 Will 17
MA Who do you support for Governor in Massachusett... (Oct '10) Aug 16 Kundrot dionkie 1,163
Boycott Hingham Stop and Shop Falsley Accusing ... (May '08) Aug 12 David 31
Review: Sandcastle Homes (Aug '13) Aug 4 Stewie Griifin 35
MA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Massachus... (Oct '10) Aug 2 Kundrot dionkie 4,699
Please Sell South Shore Forum (Apr '13) Jul '14 POA for deceased ... 58
•••

Scituate News Video

•••
Scituate Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Scituate Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••