Quinn says bill still relevant today ...

Quinn says bill still relevant today - Sentinel & Enterprise

There are 2 comments on the Sentinel & Enterprise story from Apr 2, 2010, titled Quinn says bill still relevant today - Sentinel & Enterprise. In it, Sentinel & Enterprise reports that:

That is what Bob Quinn -- former Speaker of the Massachusetts House, attorney general, and unsuccessful candidate for governor -- tells people, including a security guard at Boston College, who hailed him as "Bill" the other day.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Sentinel & Enterprise.

ernesto

Leominster, MA

#1 Apr 3, 2010

If better educated cops are simply better prepared to serve the public, why is it not a requirement to have at least an associates degree?
Another way to look at it would be that all of the cops that don't hold a degree are not prepared to do the job. So then why are they working?
Get rid of the Quinn Bill and make it mandatory to hold at least an associates degree for entry level police officer. If you want to move up in rank, then a sergeant will need to hold a BS, a LT would need a MS..etc.
Educated Worker

Worcester, MA

#2 Apr 3, 2010
ernesto wrote:
If better educated cops are simply better prepared to serve the public, why is it not a requirement to have at least an associates degree?
Another way to look at it would be that all of the cops that don't hold a degree are not prepared to do the job. So then why are they working?
Get rid of the Quinn Bill and make it mandatory to hold at least an associates degree for entry level police officer. If you want to move up in rank, then a sergeant will need to hold a BS, a LT would need a MS..etc.
I agree! I attended College and it now allows me to COMPETE for better jobs and pay. It did not come with a guarantee of more money. No degree, no advancement. This started with good intentions but turned into a cash cow. Masters Degrees in 2 years, who are we kidding. If you're in a huury, go to Curry. That was just one of the diploma mills out there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scituate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Sandcastle Homes (Aug '13) Jul '15 Sully 37
Commuter parking at ferry and Nantasket Junction? Jul '15 highnoon 1
Misconduct Charges Against Plymouth Cty Family... (Jan '08) Jun '15 Mass mom 232
House exchange summer 2013 for Ireland (Jan '13) Apr '15 swilson 2
News Blizzard-stricken East digs out amid forecast 2... (Jan '15) Mar '15 geneliadsouza07 16
News Policymakers key on preparation for climate change Mar '15 SpaceBlues 1
Please Sell South Shore Forum (Apr '13) Mar '15 Jezebel 59
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Scituate Mortgages