Quinn says bill still relevant today - Sentinel & Enterprise

That is what Bob Quinn -- former Speaker of the Massachusetts House, attorney general, and unsuccessful candidate for governor -- tells people, including a security guard at Boston College, who hailed him as "Bill" the other day. Full Story
ernesto

Leominster, MA

#1 Apr 3, 2010

If better educated cops are simply better prepared to serve the public, why is it not a requirement to have at least an associates degree?
Another way to look at it would be that all of the cops that don't hold a degree are not prepared to do the job. So then why are they working?
Get rid of the Quinn Bill and make it mandatory to hold at least an associates degree for entry level police officer. If you want to move up in rank, then a sergeant will need to hold a BS, a LT would need a MS..etc.
Educated Worker

Worcester, MA

#2 Apr 3, 2010
ernesto wrote:
If better educated cops are simply better prepared to serve the public, why is it not a requirement to have at least an associates degree?
Another way to look at it would be that all of the cops that don't hold a degree are not prepared to do the job. So then why are they working?
Get rid of the Quinn Bill and make it mandatory to hold at least an associates degree for entry level police officer. If you want to move up in rank, then a sergeant will need to hold a BS, a LT would need a MS..etc.
I agree! I attended College and it now allows me to COMPETE for better jobs and pay. It did not come with a guarantee of more money. No degree, no advancement. This started with good intentions but turned into a cash cow. Masters Degrees in 2 years, who are we kidding. If you're in a huury, go to Curry. That was just one of the diploma mills out there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scituate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Misconduct Charges Against Plymouth Cty Family... (Jan '08) Jan 23 Skozens 231
Review: Four Seasons Sunrooms at SNE Products (Dec '13) Jan 8 Karyn Charstella 3
Catholics still feel touch of John Paul II (Jun '14) Dec '14 joe 3
Looking for information on my grandmother Dec '14 jmm1234 1
Judicial Misconduct Charge filed against Plymou... (Jan '08) Oct '14 Lost to DOCUMENTE... 8
Garage Door Repair Norwell Oct '14 DavidAHolguin 1
Some of Wisconsin firsts! Sep '14 DEE 1

Blizzard Warning for Plymouth County was issued at January 26 at 4:29PM EST

Scituate News Video

Scituate Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Scituate People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News