Old Ferguson Hospital
Old Ferguson Hospital

Somerset, KY

#1 Jun 10, 2011
I know there use to be a ferguson hopital .. is it still standing? or did something happen to it?

“Hello again”

Since: Jan 09

KY Pineywoods

#2 Jun 10, 2011
Ask Knowitall9, he may know.
Old Ferguson Hospital

Somerset, KY

#3 Jun 10, 2011
Im not for sure how to do that, im not on topix a lot so .. i was wondering because i heard of it being creepy .. thought it would be neat to investigate it.
resident

Pineville, KY

#4 Jun 10, 2011
hoping somebody will clean up that filthy yard in ferguson and i'm still waiting
Jungle

Brownsville, TN

#5 Jun 12, 2011
It was at the end of the McGuire Street to the left. The Doctor that owned it lived in one of the houses next to it, there was an underground tunnel that led to the hospital. Years ago there were some articles in the Commonwealth Journal about it. Rumor had it some strange medical practices took place there. I can remember the Doctor's house and have seen pictures of the the Hospital. I think they treated TB and perhaps mental patients there. Knowitall should be able to give the history of it.

“Honesty is the best policy”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#6 Jun 12, 2011
That must of been along time ago?
PintoBean

Somerset, KY

#7 Jun 13, 2011
They treated TB and later on cancer. The Doctor Mr. Anderson was black and was married to a white woman and they had a child. The house and hospital have been torn down and the tunnels are not there any more either. Very sad... but it is an unwell know piece of important history.
PintoBean

Somerset, KY

#8 Jun 13, 2011
I researched the same thing years ago. My intention was to write a book to leave to educate future generations, but most of the facts around this place and any pics are still a mystery... like searching for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/somerset-ky/T...

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#9 Jun 14, 2011
ladyinsomerset wrote:
Ask Knowitall9, he may know.
All those older structures are gone now -
Butterfly

London, KY

#10 Jun 14, 2011
resident wrote:
hoping somebody will clean up that filthy yard in ferguson and i'm still waiting
Which one ?

Location hidden

#11 Jun 15, 2011
Butterfly wrote:
<quoted text> Which one ?
Not mine - My rent was due and it was cheaper to move -
Jungle

Brooklyn, NY

#12 Jul 26, 2011
I would like to read more about this. Who can tell us more.
LILBIT

London, KY

#13 Jul 26, 2011
Jungle wrote:
I would like to read more about this. Who can tell us more.
THERE IS A OLD HOSPITAL IN SOMERSET AND IT IS NOW A NURSING HOME,IVE LIVED HERE ALL MY LIFE I HAVE NEVER KNEW OF A HOSPITAL IN FERGUSON,
info

Vicco, KY

#14 Jul 26, 2011
The old hospital was on bourne avenue where britthaven is now.
Jungle

Brownsville, TN

#15 Aug 23, 2011
LILBIT wrote:
<quoted text>
THERE IS A OLD HOSPITAL IN SOMERSET AND IT IS NOW A NURSING HOME,IVE LIVED HERE ALL MY LIFE I HAVE NEVER KNEW OF A HOSPITAL IN FERGUSON,
Then you ain't very old....the old Unity Hill Hospital was at the end of McGuire street in Ferguson, on the left side up on the hill. The Hardwick's lived in the house next to where the Hospital set in the Doctor's house. It existed, it was documented in a story by the CJ many years ago. There was a tunnel from hospital to the house. They treated things such as TB, at that time TB was not normally treated in regular hospitals. It is a shame the Unity Hill Hospital was not saved and restored. It really was sort of unique piece of history, as was the old railroad shops in Ferguson, and the street car line that ran from Somerset, thru Ferguson to the shops.
Lesson Learned

Harrison, AR

#16 Aug 23, 2011
It would be great if somebody knew the history of the couple and the hospital did write a book. It would be something many of us would love to read.
dcs

Louisville, KY

#17 Aug 26, 2013
my mother grew up in ferguson she says no hospital and no McGuire st in ferguson shes 83

Location hidden

#18 Aug 26, 2013
dcs wrote:
my mother grew up in ferguson she says no hospital and no McGuire st in ferguson shes 83
Yep , McGuire street's still there -
huh

Harrogate, TN

#19 Aug 27, 2013
McGuire St. is just up the street from me. I don't know if the structure was an old hospital or not but it is no longer there. It was torn down a few years ago to build a new, huge house. I went in it once before it was torn down. Pretty creepy stuff.
In The Know

Somerset, KY

#20 Oct 18, 2013
As said before in this thread, this subject was covered quite extensively on here earlier. CJ paper has old files of old stories they ran on it. My mother's family lived in it after it closed as a hospital years ago. One of the stories was in the 12-04-1983 issue. I have several scans of photos of the old buildings and some newspaper stories. Also wrote down what my mom told me about it before she passed away. So, YES, there was a hospital, but not the conventional kind. It was described in most of the stories as a 'sanitorium'.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Science Hill Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 3 min CriminalForever 153,681
Coach Dale Anderson (Oct '11) 26 min Molly 844
Hey Hatti. (Jan '12) 36 min gladthelakeisback 33,133
Hot Tub Repair??????? (Aug '12) 4 hr Mad Hatter 10
Restaurants that take EBT cards "foodstamps" (Feb '11) 5 hr Justmehere 1,017
Autistic Son Late night Tantrums 7 hr Experienced 10
First and Farmers 8 hr CuriousCitizen 1

Science Hill Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Science Hill Mortgages