County Jail Inmates Get Internet Access For Law Research

Apr 28, 2007 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Bud Angst Report

By Bud Angst Schuylkill County jail inmates will hereafter be provided with in-prison Internet access for do-it-yourself legal research. via The Bud Angst Report

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of31
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: May 07

Pottsville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2007

Judged:

Wonderful!! Our tax dollars at work!!! Out here in the REAL world we have to pay over $20.00 per month for that convenience. If the prisoners didn't do something wrong to end up there, they wouldn't need the HELP!!! They should be out here WORKING to make a living and PAYING their way like everybody else!! Oh well, once again, they get free medical, three meals a day, free room and board, and now free internet access. While hardworking individuals have died out here because they couldn't afford medical insurance and couldn't get welfare for medical coverage. This county and country is going to the dogs real fast.
Colonel John Liptok

Pine Grove, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2007

well your right smilin blonde about all of that; however you said they get free medical, meals, room and board.
its not free!
we the working people and the victems of crimes all PAY for all that.
once agin if your having problems and you dont like it then go to the voting machine and change it.
its the only way!
thanks
colonelliptok@msn.com
john q public

Williamsport, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2007

Judged:

let me get this straight, the criminals in "PRISON" get cable tv, meals, clothes, medical, a library, an education, and now internet.
gee, why dont we all just go up to the prison and demand a room.
if you get put in prison it means you lose all your everyday priveledges.
not get it all for free (sorry- paid for by everyone else)
something is seriously wrong with that!
it needs to be rethought and the prison needs an overhaul.
rip out the tv's and weight rooms and computers,
and leave the criminals sit in a cell to think about what they did.
not watch tv or go on a pc.
and i guess noone asked the people who are paying for this if they agreed.
george washington

Millville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2007

hey this sounds like a ballot question.
would you agree to pay more for internet at the prison?
do you think prisoners should have internet access?
take it to the election board to put it on the ballots.
make it an issue in the election.
DeeDee

Newton, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2007

I'm not surprised....AT ALL.
ignorance is bliss

Wyoming, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2007

Judged:

wow. you people must not know anyone who has ever been to prison. the medical is a joke, there are no weight rooms,the one tv sits against a wall and usually results in a fight once a week, tv viewing is limited to when inmates are out of their cells, there are no education programs besides getting a GED, meals are measured out by the once and come to approximately 2000 calories a day, and the clothes.....well, you do get a choice of green or tan.

The internet access would probably be limited to one computer in the library that will only allow it to access a site or sites related to criminal law. They won't be surfing to YouTube or updating their MySpace profiles. I am also sure, there would be a list an inmate would have to get on for the access.

If you really want a room there, it is not hard to get one.
john q public

Cresco, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2007

gee whiz let me guess, an inmate?
a correction officer?
no noooo
a cop?
maybe a prison worker?
i seem to recall that the tv is on most of the day, wheather your locked up or out in the block!
and i recall that they had comcast (cable)
the food wasnt that bad and there was plenty of it!
the medical; well you got whatever you wanted including street drugs from either the nurse or the gaurds ( if you had the cash)
the weight room was in the gym and you could lift or play basketball, or you went outside to play bball.
there were all kinds of education and councelors coming in for everything from mental health to anger management to ged to career goals.
dont know bout the two colors of jumpsuits???
there was also a law library.
thats just in the schuylkill county playground!
the state and federal pens get better.
you also cant forget about the in house store where you can buy anything from paper to smokes.
and of course theres always paying the staff or work release to get you whatever you want including a date.
computers were already there! the inmates didnt have access to them though.
your right its not hard to get a room there. its hard to stay out of there and do the right thing. but thats life;
either take the right road or the wrong road its a choice everyone makes,
but when you take the wrong road dont expect everyone else to carry your sorry ass by paying for everything for you.
your supposed to be punished not on freakin vacation.

Since: May 07

Pottsville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2007

Judged:

You got that right John Q Public!! That's exactly what I was saying. Oh, by the way, I wasn't there and WILL NEVER BE THERE!!
I just don't think it's right for the taxpayers to PAY for it all!!
You did the crime, do the time. Only not in the lap of luxury!!
Jason

Dana Point, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 28, 2008

Judged:

While I agree that Tax payers should not have to pay for this junk, I wouldn't call it the 'lap of luxury' either. If you're idea of luxury is a government controlled life with a TV (Gee golly, I might not be free but I got me a TV!) then perhaps its time to take a better look at your life and time to find out what freedom really means to you.
MadDog1

Scranton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2009

It makes financial sense to allow internet access to the inmates for legal research. why, one might ask. Because under the law everyone is entitled to a defence, even if that is a self defence. If we as a society are going to warehouse inmates then we have to permit them to build their defence for their case. Knowing that is it cheaper to have each prison in the state or county have a library of books that have to be updated periodically which the inmates would have access to. Or do we buy a computer in a library room and permit the inmates access to that for their legal research.
If a fire broke out and damaged that room, which is cheaper to replace, the computer or all those books?
Isn't this the question, not rewrite the laws that we don't agree with. Society is responsible for the inmates, thats the law story over. No sense rehashing that saga which has been rehashed so many decades ago. at the end of the day society must care for and be responsible for the inmates; otherwise, those commiting the crimes will be right back in our neighborhoods and on the streets. To lock them up cost, or else they roam free. Now, which do you prefer to pay their emergency medical care or have them live next door to you and continue to sell drugs over at the high school.
Just accept the law and move on, then answer the question asked, no go off rehashing an age old debate.
Chris

Grover Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2009

well jason, everyone soon here will get a goverment controlled life...all thanks to the great messiah obama. And when it comes to medical, inmates get everything up to dyalisis. criminals live better than a lot of people do not locked up. but soon obama will fix the world. ha ha what a joke, thanks everyone who voted for him, you ruined this country.
WHATEVER

Scranton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2009

Judged:

john q public wrote:
gee whiz let me guess, an inmate?
a correction officer?
no noooo
a cop?
maybe a prison worker?
i seem to recall that the tv is on most of the day, wheather your locked up or out in the block!
and i recall that they had comcast (cable)
the food wasnt that bad and there was plenty of it!
the medical; well you got whatever you wanted including street drugs from either the nurse or the gaurds ( if you had the cash)
the weight room was in the gym and you could lift or play basketball, or you went outside to play bball.
there were all kinds of education and councelors coming in for everything from mental health to anger management to ged to career goals.
dont know bout the two colors of jumpsuits???
there was also a law library.
thats just in the schuylkill county playground!
the state and federal pens get better.
you also cant forget about the in house store where you can buy anything from paper to smokes.
and of course theres always paying the staff or work release to get you whatever you want including a date.
computers were already there! the inmates didnt have access to them though.
your right its not hard to get a room there. its hard to stay out of there and do the right thing. but thats life;
either take the right road or the wrong road its a choice everyone makes,
but when you take the wrong road dont expect everyone else to carry your sorry ass by paying for everything for you.
your supposed to be punished not on freakin vacation.
Oh, a oldie but a goodie. The pretend col in all his personalities. Sybil couldn't do it better, BTW, he speaks from experience when he relates his tales of the Schuylkill County Prison. A convict and the biggest criminal he knows, the pretend col. What a joke??!!

Since: Apr 09

Philadelphia,Pa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2009

WHATEVER wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, a oldie but a goodie. The pretend col in all his personalities. Sybil couldn't do it better, BTW, he speaks from experience when he relates his tales of the Schuylkill County Prison. A convict and the biggest criminal he knows, the pretend col. What a joke??!!
It's not like the inmates have a laptop in there cell.I know someone that was in schuylkill co prison and believe me it was far from anything pleasant.It says for Law Research.Remember everyone is innocent before proven guilty and there are still alot of people in jail that are innocent and that is our tax dollars also!!!Be Blessed
misinformed

Kingston, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2009

From everything that was printed and said about that county court system, the inmates are in there on trumped up charges, forced charges, and lies. They dont have a prayer, even with all the text books or internet services to gain a successful defense. The county, the courts, and the police will force the charges anyway.

It seems like more wastefull spending, when they know they wont give an inch for justice.
HOmBrE

Elizabethtown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2010

wow your uneducated it no one not noone
HOmBrE

Elizabethtown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2010

i agree with all my heart in stuff
Abby

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2010

Judged:

Attention!!! No Male or Female Humanbeing should be put in a (CAGE) like an animal. WE do not! live in the DARK AGES anymore. EveryONe can make a Big mistake in Life, But the Prison System is just so (WRONG)!!!!!!
Abby

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2010

Today, in the year 2010, there are Priests raping little kids, Old (FAT) Men in Goverment Service taking brides, even little old ladies extorting money from local Fire Houses, Chief of Police officers turning BAD and robbing CASH and Drugs! This world we live in is going DOWN really FAST!!! Years ago we could teach our kids to TRUST a Priest or a Police Officer, BUT this is (NOT) so today. We (MUST) teach our children to fear the police and the priest, just like the BAD GUY!!!!(What a Shame!~)
village idiot

Duryea, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2010

abby go to school and learn to type, until then you can't even be an idiot.
Nicole

Surprise, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2010

I think that people should be a little bit more harsh on prisoner while they are in prison and less harsh on them when they are released. Sounds stupid but let me explain. The less desirable the prison system is the less likely a person will want to go back, however, If they have rightfully served their time and come back into a society where no one is willing to hire them and they are looked down upon by all, they are going to go back to doing what they know and do best which is breaking the law. While some prisoners never learn from their mistakes (the acception), and this option will not have any positive impact on those, the ones who really have learned their lesson and are trying to better themselves should have that opportunity.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of31
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Schuylkill Haven Discussions

Search the Schuylkill Haven Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 7 hr Incompetent Obama 51,103
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) Wed Go Blue Forever 3,744
Pokemon platinum mystery zone save fix (Mar '10) Jul 6 Rman 115
lesbian rumors Jul 2 Concerned 2
"Colonel" John Liptok attempts to contact Clint... (Aug '08) Jun 24 Gran Torino Zipperhead 30
When you gotta go? Pa. worker caught urinating ... Jun 24 Hot Tub Pooper 2
Homeless man gets jail time for assault Jun 15 window licker 1
•••
•••
•••
Schuylkill Haven Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Schuylkill Haven Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000