Comments
1 - 19 of 19 Comments Last updated Sep 3, 2009
Concerned

Binghamton, NY

#1 Jul 16, 2007
Has anyone been following the wind turbine issue in Richmondville? If the answer is no, that's understandable. The Richmondville Town Board is doing everything they can to keep the negotiations with the wind power company secret. There is a test tower up in town in an area that is zoned residential. In that zone, wind turbines would not be allowed. So to overcome that little obstacle the Town Board has appointed the very landowner trying to erect the towers to a committee charged with rewriting the zoning! Can you say "conflict of interest"? The Town Board has also been meeting with the wind tower company WITHOUT posting those meetings as is required under the New York Open Meetings Law. So if a dozen or two 60" high wind towers appears on the property next to yours, don't be shocked. Sneaky business as usual in Richmondville.
Sean Thomas

United States

#2 Sep 30, 2007
Whoah! That's a very sensationalized interpretation of what's happening in Richmondville. There is more than one side to every story remember. But I'm not going to debate you, I'll just say that this Town Board and Supervisor literally put their foot in it so deep that they'll never win another election and probably soured the County to wind power forever. But for all the "sneakiness" on the part of the Town Board, there's about as much hysteria and craziness from wind opponents. Overall, they've all done a really nice job of making Schoharie County look like a bunch of freaks.

Slums along the Mohawk.blogspot.com
Patria

Fairport, NY

#3 Oct 10, 2007
Sean Thomas wrote:
Whoah! That's a very sensationalized interpretation of what's happening in Richmondville. There is more than one side to every story remember. But I'm not going to debate you, I'll just say that this Town Board and Supervisor literally put their foot in it so deep that they'll never win another election and probably soured the County to wind power forever. But for all the "sneakiness" on the part of the Town Board, there's about as much hysteria and craziness from wind opponents. Overall, they've all done a really nice job of making Schoharie County look like a bunch of freaks.
Slums along the Mohawk.blogspot.com
Actually the first post was an accurate interpretation of what was happening in July. Had people not spoken out, Richmondville would have a law in place already with little to no public input. I'll add your blog to the ranks of making Schoharie County look like freaks.
Justice

Esperance, NY

#4 Oct 25, 2007
What about the sneakyness of Sandy Alexander Gordon Why is he a representive of this Reunion Wind Power instead of attending town meetings where he should be he has been attending meetings in schoharie county trying to ram this wind power down peoples throats or behind their back What is his gang going to be? Is he looking for a new job, I think it's time he should. He is very sneaky and is out for himself and his family members. It's time people in rensselaerville knox and berne wake up and smell the roses
Justice

Esperance, NY

#5 Nov 7, 2007
People in Schoharie county should wonder why Sandy Gordon's own father is against windpower he lives on top of a mountain in the town of Broome, which borders albany county very close to where we had to listen to just one windmill, for a couple of years that windmill company has now gone out of business and guess what the owner of the property can't get it fixed. Also, you could here the windmill for miles away. What is Gordon doing in albany trying to push all this through on a state level, he is very sneaky and so is his company that he represents reunion power, it's too bad he won last nights election. We need to get him out of goverment especially when I heard today that he wants to run for congressman !
Mark Schwarts

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Mar 14, 2008
I don't the Valley Watch is against wind power, they are against having it in populated rural areas. They do have a website that shows some of the latest news and discussions on this:

http://www.schoharievalleywatch.org
tre shaw

Middleburgh, NY

#7 Aug 10, 2008
wind is free and it don't pollute.
why don't you folks lighten up and accept it?
A Nanny Goat

United States

#8 Aug 20, 2008
Hi K-Fed...sorry 2 report that yer blog has a bug that breached my (yeah, well, in need of latest updating...my fault, right?!) cyber-defenses. Just want to send a :) and a heart yer way. And to those who attempted to catch::P.
Rowena Morrel

Emporia, VA

#9 Oct 8, 2008
Driving along I 88 we viewed windmills on top of mountain ranges to the west. They looked peaceful and beautiful in the sunlight but I can imagine their menace to locals. We did not however note the location of the windmills. Somebody please tell me where they are: mountain range, counties, state, etc.
respond directly to editor@inthekitchenonline.com.
The Truth

Hatboro, PA

#10 Jan 9, 2009
I would be willing to bet everything I own that if you asked every NY resident whether or not they would like to help reduce our countries dependence on foreign oil, create jobs, and have a cleaner energy source than burning fossil fuels that 99% of you would say YES.

Some of these same people who would say YES are hypocrites. Luckily, they make up a small misinformed percentage of the population.–unfortunately they are usually the ones that are most outspoken, post the blogs and their anti-wind comments are the ones that are printed by the local paper, and often they are most loudly heard by local governments and local residents. You can classify most of them as NIMBYs with far too much time on their hands.

As with any type of new development, whether it’s a residential subdivision, a commercial shopping center, industrial park, school, etc., there is always somebody against it, regardless of the zoning, or local demand. More often than not they are the most misinformed in the crowd and stand to gain the least when a new development is proposed –you all know what I mean.

Wind is not a perfect source of energy. Wind alone will not eliminate our countries dependence on foreign oil. Nobody ever claimed it was or would. Anti-wind websites like Schoharie Valley Watch (SVW) claim “we support a well-defined regional energy policy that highlights the use of solar, geothermal and other environmentally sound and sustainable technologies”. Where is this policy?? Are they drafting it??? I would love to see what they suggest!!!!!! They are against wind as a renewable energy source so what do they suggest in its place?????? We have to do something. If they have all the answers why don’t they share them????
continued below
The Truth

Hatboro, PA

#11 Jan 9, 2009
SVW suggests using solar energy. I think solar energy is great and agree that we need to see more of it. Does anyone at SVW realize that to create just a 10 MW solar farm (the equivalent of just 5 wind turbines) that you need 100+ acres of flat, shade free land close to transmission lines?????????–how many land parcels do you think fit this requirement in the rolling hills of upstate New York?????? Do they realize that a solar farm this size will cost over $60,000,000 to build??? Do they realize this will create fewer jobs than a comparably sized wind farm??? Do they realize that because of these tremendous development costs that the landowner(s) will see far less $$$ for their property (both lease and purchase) than they would for a commercial or residential development??? Even an agricultural use would pay better than a solar lease in most cases!!! On top of that, most of the properties that fit this requirement are Farmland Preserved!!! Now what?????–this is why there are very few solar farms on the east coast and there are none of any substantial size.

SVW and the others go on to say that a wind turbine housing has “hundreds of gallons of oil and anti-freeze that can leak creating an environmental disaster” How do some of these people heat their homes??? Do they realize how many people in NY have a buried underground storage tank with either 550 or 1,000 gallons of home heating oil in it!!!!!!!!!!most of which are leaking right now directly into the ground water!!!!!!!!! I know first hand how many leak as I used to be an env consultant extracting these USTs daily.

They make claims that “wind turbines kill bats, birds, and affect the migration patterns” Do they realize cats & buildings kill far more birds annually??? Do they realize that all wind developers are required by the state to go through rigorous bird migration and env impact studies before a wind farm is ever approved?? There have been many projects simply not built because of this fact –even when a town was completely in favor!!–it’s also convenient that they never mention how many jobs or billable hours these studies create for the local env & engineering firms!!!!!
continued below
The Truth

Hatboro, PA

#12 Jan 9, 2009
They claim that very few jobs are actually created when a wind farm is constructed. This is simply a lie. But even if it was true, isn’t the creation of just one job a hell of a lot better than none in this economy when companies are laying people off left and right!!!!!!!!!! How many jobs are anti-wind activists creating???? Or they say these jobs are only temporary or these people are highly specialized and the workers are imported into the region. So what if they are!!! Where are these workers going to eat??? Where are they going to buy supplies and equipment??? Where do they sleep???–you don’t think this will help our local inns, restaurants, hardware stores, contractors etc.???? These projects take years to complete and these anti-wind groups are directly responsible for depriving many local business owners from increasing their annual revenues. I don’t understand how people can be so short sighted.
I love how they say that wind farms decrease local property values. What is this based on?? I am a licensed realtor in several states and I grew up within ten miles of a wind farm in PA. I have never seen any evidence to support this. I do not understand why people think a wind farm would negatively impact the local overall property values. Are you going to tell me that every person that purchased a home in Schoharie County did so because of the magnificent views??? That is BS!!!! Are people going to turn down a great job opportunity anywhere because they have to drive by a wind farm daily???????
90% of the people in rural areas have been there for generations. Most of these upstate counties will never see a strong real estate demand in our lifetime to begin with! Ever hear the phrase “location, location, location’?? Supply, employment, great schools, shopping and convenience drive property prices –not views of mountains!!!!!!!!!! Have you ever heard of someone’s taxes going up because they had a nice view??? Or going down because they didn’t have a view????? Mountain views only add a premium to a property. It doesn’t impact its overall value – and this added premium is only valuable for a small number of people that are willing to pay for it!!! Not only that, not everyone dislikes the look of wind turbines, and most could care less that there were turbines in that view -especially from a distance!!! The only way I can see a turbine negatively impacting a homeowner’s house value is if one were built in their backyard close to the house.–but today’s manufacturer requirements and local setback ordinances do not let this happen!!!!! Setbacks are typically at least 1500’ from a permanent residence.
continued below
The Truth

Hatboro, PA

#13 Jan 9, 2009
If anything, you can make a very strong argument that turbines increase land values considerably. 99% of the land leased by wind developers is undevelopable in the first place because of topography, and lack of public utilities!!!! For example, farmer Jones has a 200 acre parcel in upstate NY that has rolling terrain and is largely undevelopable. What is this land worth? Well if you look at what land is currently trading for in that area (there are very few transactions annually in this area to begin with due to lack of demand and the fact that this type of land isn’t desirable to most people except for hunters) you may get an approx value of $3,000 per acre or $600,000. Farmer Jones just signed a lease with a wind developer and his property can accommodate 4 wind turbines. This lease produces an annual income for the farmer equal to about $7,000 -$15,000+ per turbine or $28,000 to $60,000 per year. Say it produces $30,000 per year. Farmer Jones wants to sell his property with the wind leases. Well his property is still worth at least $600,000, but now the property is producing income. If you apply a modest 8% capitalization rate (this is real estate 101) to this source of income, the 5 or 6 acres that the 4 wind turbines sit on has added $375,000 in value plus the $600,000 =$975,000!!!! Farmer Jones just increased his property value 62% for doing nothing!!!! 97% of his land remained untouched by the wind farm developer!!!!! A large network of real estate investors (including myself) will gladly buy properties with wind farm leases on them. It’s the closest thing to guaranteed income over 25+ years I know of!!!!!!!!!!How can you tell me this is not good for the local economy??!!

Any study, editorial or report that was done in the past 5-6 years regarding wind farms and the effect on property values is completely meaningless. The real estate market and the economy have steadily declined during that time period. If you show me a report that indicates a decline in values (I am yet to see one) how can you prove to me or anyone else that a value decline is due to a wind farm and not the overall declining of the real estate market???? YOU CANNOT. Yet everybody against wind farms fails to mention this.

Wind farm haters claim that wind farm developers will clear cut acres of trees and create large clear cut patches on the mountains. Have they ever been to a wind farm??? Do they realize a wind turbine occupies less than 1 acre??? Do they realize the maintenance roads utilize existing roads whenever possible?? How many acres do they think are needed to harvest just a few inches of coal veins under the surface????-Hundreds of thousands annually. Do they suggest we clear cut hundreds of acres for solar farms??? How eco-friendly is that??? Are no trees cut to install geothermal wells??????? I think not. How many acres were cut to put in railroad tracks, highways, power lines, shopping malls, etc?? How many trees were cut to build the homes they live in??? Give me a break. Or do they suggest we put solar panels on every house, industrial building & office park?? Good idea right??? It helps, but there are very few buildings in NY large enough to produce even 1 MW of electricity. Even fewer close to the grid. And if the buildings are that large, all the electricity they create is needed to power the building itself in the first place!!!!!!!!!! There is little net gain!!!!!
continued below
The Truth

Hatboro, PA

#14 Jan 9, 2009
New York is blessed with tremendous wind resource potential and we should be taking advantage of it. If you are a landowner considering signing a lease, don’t let a few backward, wind hating idiots that stand to gain nothing from a lease deter you from signing. Educate yourself. Get all the facts. They claim to be trying to preserve the rural character of the community. That is B.S. These people are selfish and not thinking of anyone but their selves. As I said above, wind energy alone will not eliminate our countries dependence on foreign oil. We need a combination of wind, solar, natural gas, coal, hydroelectric, nuclear, and bio fuels. We currently purchase most of our oil from foreign countries that hate our guts. I am tired of seeing friends, family and colleagues go over seas to fight a war that is largely over oil -especially when we see very little return for our efforts. Oil prices are down now, but you can bet your ass they will go back up. Even if wind only reduced our foreign oil dependence by 1% I think it’s better than standing there and doing nothing. So I ask you anti-wind activists, what the hell are you doing to help this country rid itself from foreign oil dependence??

End
flying in the wind

Esperance, NY

#15 Jan 16, 2009
Here's another question why is an Albany County Leg.(Sandy Gordon) running around Richmondville, schoharie coutny supervisors and other towns in schoharie pushing for wind power, I think Gordon should blow his own he has plenty of Wind! He hasn't done anything in the towns he is surposed to represent, since he got re-elected, I would wonder what his precentage is with Reuion Power, he has always been a very sneaky snake in the grass and apparently he still is!
justice

Esperance, NY

#16 Mar 3, 2009
it appears from recent articles that gordon is still up to his tricks. Why doesn't albany do something about his company, he is surposed to be representing all people of his district, not just what he wants! And what he would benefit from. It's time to wake up nys with these so called politians.
A Nanny Goat

United States

#17 Mar 19, 2009
Hmm...a projected fall, 2010, start 2 make $$$$ date. One finally gets that timeliness re the U.S.Census, in this instance, est tout le monde, is it not? Finally...denouement.(sigh) Signing off (oui, tres' fini), Les Temps (insert Schoharie County) Retrouve'.(But not without yes, a SHOUT-OUT, as well as the previously stated sentiments, 2 Sean! always)
elizabeth utter

Schenectady, NY

#18 May 5, 2009
Rowena Morrel wrote:
Driving along I 88 we viewed windmills on top of mountain ranges to the west. They looked peaceful and beautiful in the sunlight but I can imagine their menace to locals. We did not however note the location of the windmills. Somebody please tell me where they are: mountain range, counties, state, etc.
respond directly to editor@inthekitchenonline.com.
Hey I don't have any way to get a hold of you beside through this...but I'm Mert Utter's daughter and I am trying to finish up the geneology project he and I were working on a few years back. Anyway, I was just wondering if there were going to be any more family reunions this summer? Let my know, my e-mail is e_utter@yahoo.com Thanks and talk to you soon
flying in the wind

Howes Cave, NY

#19 Sep 3, 2009
everyone should read this weeks greenville press, good article on gordon and his tacktics!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Schoharie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NY New York Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) Fri Lol 16,781
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) Aug 27 Vote Zornow 6,408
Schoharie County Social Services (Jul '11) Aug 23 AIP 19
berkshire farm Aug 19 Brian 12
Debate: Ferguson - Middleburgh, NY Aug 17 Kenny 1
NY Who do you support for Comptroller in New York ... (Oct '10) Aug 9 JEWISH VOICE 438
NY Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in N... (Oct '10) Aug 7 dew4794 673
•••
•••
•••

Schoharie Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Schoharie People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Schoharie News, Events & Info