Schofield soldier is charged with mur...

Schofield soldier is charged with murder in death of American c...

There are 14 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Sep 23, 2009, titled Schofield soldier is charged with murder in death of American c.... In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

A 31-year-old Schofield Barracks soldier, who was on his third Iraqi tour, has been charged in the shooting death of an American civilian contractor on a U.S. base in Iraq.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

YES WE CANT

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#1 Sep 23, 2009
Whats up with this? Sounds really strange thats for sure
lukela

Lahaina, HI

#2 Sep 23, 2009
10 years in the army and only an E-4?
Sounds like he's a little brain dead. Doesn't the army have a policy of advancement-or-out?
islandgrunt

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#3 Sep 23, 2009
I'm not going to defend Doc Velez for what he did and although he was always oddball, he is one hell of a medic during combat.
ammo dog

Germany

#4 Sep 23, 2009
this is crazy. it was all over the radio and we were told to gear up when it all went down. i cant believe i was here to witness this. this is a crazy world.
Manapua Man

AOL

#5 Sep 24, 2009
Loser!!!!!!!!
loco moco

Richmond, VA

#6 Sep 24, 2009
With a name like "Velez" how come the article doesn't tell us whether he's a local boy or what's his hometown? "A real newspaper would" ;-)
Honolulu Jack

Kula, HI

#7 Sep 24, 2009
It looks and sounds to me as if the Army once again failed to see the writing on the wall with this guy. If he snapped, I find it hard to believe there were no signs. It's a sad day for both families.
islandgrunt

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#8 Sep 24, 2009
He isn't local and there were definitely signs of him losing it. He was awarded an ARCOM with valor earlier this deployment for his actions in combat and was scheduled to be back here this month. Now how would any SANE soldier in their right knowing they'll be back home soon do something like this?
units have to reevaluate how they treat combat stress not only when we get back stateside but in the combat theater. This tragedy could've been prevented.
IRAQIVET 0609

Savannah, GA

#9 Sep 29, 2009
I served with SPC Velez and he was a good friend to me. I recently left Iraq after serving 4 consecutive years. I signed up for a 5th but had my paperwork screwed up. He didn't show any signs when I knew him but I can understand snapping as I went through some things myself. According to his unit he had been acting wierd prior to this, why wasn't anything done.? He is and will always be my friend and I will be behind him through it all. This could've happened to anyone and did at BIAP. He is a good soldier.
IRAQIVET 0609

Savannah, GA

#10 Sep 29, 2009
Islandgrunt, this happened to a sane soldier who lost it. You're telling me that you've done multiple Iraq/Afghan deployments and nothing has changed with you? It happens to the best of them.
alice

United States

#11 Sep 29, 2009
some of these macho types are crazed and on drugs. Scary
IRAQIVET 0609

Savannah, GA

#12 Sep 29, 2009
Ammo dog what's your side of the story?
islandgrunt

Mililani, HI

#13 Sep 29, 2009
iraqivet,

We all change one way or another with each combat tour you know that. What I meant was if Doc was his sane old humble self, he wouldn't have done this. I know he definitely snapped and just wished the unit would've done something when he started showing signs of battle stress.
YES WE CANT

Newport News, VA

#14 Sep 30, 2009
alice wrote:
some of these macho types are crazed and on drugs. Scary
There you go again, please get back on your Meds and soon

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Schofield Barracks Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mr. President, Donald Trump (Aug '15) 4 min American Balls 3,394
What Hawaii is really like. (Jan '08) 58 min Joe Balls 752
Freeway congestion 5 hr Iss meinen Arsch 9
Last Post Wins (Apr '11) 14 hr Princess Hey 4,874
Abortion is Wrong 16 hr Joe Balls 5
Waianae Joe Balls Is A Sneaky Rat . I got the ... 16 hr Joe Balls 101
Sean Hannity the Welfare Queen Tue Inappropriate Joe 7

Schofield Barracks Jobs

Personal Finance

Schofield Barracks Mortgages