Furloughs hurt military's view of Haw...

Furloughs hurt military's view of Hawaii schools

There are 4 comments on the Monterey County Herald story from Jan 31, 2010, titled Furloughs hurt military's view of Hawaii schools. In it, Monterey County Herald reports that:

The third-to-fifth graders ran up to their instructor clutching a list of words using the letters B, D, and E. Split into boy and girls teams, the students offered the teacher "bed" and "bead." The boys spelled more words, beating the girls 18-15. It's a Friday, but these students aren't in school.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Monterey County Herald.

Amazed

Salinas, CA

#1 Jan 31, 2010
So Hawaiian public schools are even worse than CA public schools?
Ocean View

Pacific Grove, CA

#2 Jan 31, 2010
Amazed wrote:
So Hawaiian public schools are even worse than CA public schools?
It depends on the school district. Rich districts do very well, poor ones not so much.
Amazed

Salinas, CA

#3 Feb 1, 2010
Ocean View wrote:
<quoted text>
It depends on the school district. Rich districts do very well, poor ones not so much.
The Monterey school district is very poor. Both my kids lost a year of school when we were transferred here from the East Coast. The things my son did in third grade there he basically did in fourth grade here.
Ocean View

Pacific Grove, CA

#4 Feb 1, 2010
Amazed wrote:
<quoted text> The Monterey school district is very poor. Both my kids lost a year of school when we were transferred here from the East Coast. The things my son did in third grade there he basically did in fourth grade here.
GreatSchools.org provides informative comparisons on both public and private schools throughout the country, so that may be useful in figuring out how or why things differ from state to state, region to region, district to district, and even within a district. It can be accessed at http://www.greatschools.org/

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Schofield Barracks Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Add A Word, Drop, Drop A Word (May '11) 16 min Princess Hey 813
Last Post Wins (Apr '11) 17 min Princess Hey 4,710
The Liberal Sisterhood will Crumble (Again) 37 min M mcCain 50
Mr. President, Donald Trump (Aug '15) 9 hr Conchita Balls 2,726
add a word/drop a word and 'stuff' (Nov '16) 10 hr District 1 923
News Waianae High recalls yearbooks containing racia... (May '09) Wed District 1 337
News Feral cats dog residents - Hawaii News (Oct '09) Wed Balls At Work 246

Schofield Barracks Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Schofield Barracks Mortgages