Hawaii sixth in federal spending - Ha...

Hawaii sixth in federal spending - Hawaii News

There are 25 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Jul 23, 2009, titled Hawaii sixth in federal spending - Hawaii News. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

Hawaii ranks sixth among states in per capita federal spending, largely because of military spending and salaries, according to a U.S. Census Bureau report released today.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Yes We Cant

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#1 Jul 23, 2009
Lets hear from the anti military folks now.

“Nothing Good Can Come of This!”

Since: Oct 08

Denver, CO

#2 Jul 23, 2009
"Federal government spending topped $15 billion in Hawaii last year, which works out to $11,651 for every man, woman and child here. Of that amount,$6.1 billion, or $4,741 per each Hawaii resident, is related to Defense Department spending."

And there are people who want to break away and 'reclaim' their country. Where will you find this kind of money to replace the immediate lick in your new economy? How do you propose to make that up. Additionally, you want to run other important money pumps (rich haoles) out. There isn't enough taro, especially when you won't accept taro that is designed to resist diseases. Really folks, the money has to come from somewhere and the sovereignty folks don't have any plan to get it...
ainakai

Mililani, HI

#3 Jul 23, 2009
Thank you Uncle Dan, You da man!!!!!
Keith Haugen

AOL

#4 Jul 23, 2009
Aloha:

We should all remember that the reason we have more federal spending in Hawai`i also relates directly to the fact that we have disproportionately more military in Hawai`i than any of the other 49 states.

When you compare the number of military, their families, and civilians working for the military, and their families, to the total population of the host state, Hawai`i is number ONE.

So, it is natural that there would be more federal dollars coming to Hawai`i than states with fewer troops per capita.

Me ka pono,

Keith Haugen
Nu`uanu
Kau Manua

United States

#5 Jul 23, 2009
take da $11K/person ...

gev 'em to da homeless ...

an den let 'em guard da ...

state parks, beaches, stadium parking lot,...

fo keep out da people wit jobs and homes ...

cause dey should go work ...

maybe also build one grocery cart wash ...

whea dey can take da carts fo get one free cart wash ....
Disgusted

Kaneohe, HI

#6 Jul 23, 2009
Something for all the tree huggers to think about when they deny the military training areas. Consider Hawaii's economy without the 25th ID and the 3rd Marine Brigade.
Von

Aiea, HI

#7 Jul 23, 2009
Thank God for the military in Hawaii.

Without them you would surely starve.
whoever

Honolulu, HI

#8 Jul 23, 2009
Another reason to be grateful for the military here. Not only do they protect and defend our nation, they also give our economy a much needed boost. God knows we need it.

Oh yes, there will be anti-military rants about the "war industry" or the odd eco-nazi who want to save some snail somewhere rather then allow the necessary training but logical people get it.
Bright Side

Mililani, HI

#9 Jul 23, 2009
I welcome both the military and the resulting income contribution and the "treehuggers" "anti-military rants". Tho I loath the blanket negative labeling of anybody. A healthy community makes room for all. And we need folks that will speak out when the balance is tipping in an unjust way. Typically and ideally a balance is struck that protects and preserves both the economic engine and the natural resources the whole system relies upon. So step back and see and try to understand the big picture -not just your narrow self interested point of view.
blazing guns

Honolulu, HI

#10 Jul 23, 2009
Von wrote:
Thank God for the military in Hawaii.
Without them you would surely starve.
We can thank our congressional delegates, especially Inouye, for bringing home the bacon.
alice

Los Altos, CA

#11 Jul 23, 2009
Inouye brings home the pork
Wild Colonial Boy

AOL

#12 Jul 23, 2009
680$ Billion Dollars for "defense" -- that is an expensive jobs program! What a gravy train!
Keep in mind

Aiea, HI

#13 Jul 23, 2009
Don't forget the Sierra Club is anti-military and they will work to destroy military grow the way they attacked the Super-Ferry.
Von

Aiea, HI

#14 Jul 23, 2009
blazing guns wrote:
<quoted text>
We can thank our congressional delegates, especially Inouye, for bringing home the bacon.
Mak'n Bak'n
Von

Aiea, HI

#15 Jul 23, 2009
alice wrote:
Inouye brings home the pork
Good morning alice :)
Hanawaiman

Kailua Kona, HI

#16 Jul 23, 2009
Good 'ol Dan sure brings home the bacon. But who's back does he scratch to get all that money? He is one of the biggest spenders in Congress. He along with his friends, are bankrupting our country.
Local Boy

Painesville, OH

#17 Jul 23, 2009
How much of this money (bacon) is the U.S. Government borrowing from other countries? The last time I looked the government, both U.S. state and local didn't have enough money to pay their bills!!

Rainbows for everyone!!!!
blazing guns

Honolulu, HI

#18 Jul 23, 2009
Hanawaiman wrote:
Good 'ol Dan sure brings home the bacon. But who's back does he scratch to get all that money? He is one of the biggest spenders in Congress. He along with his friends, are bankrupting our country.
Tell me one poitician, Democrat or Republican, who don't scratch or have their backs scratched? An effective back scratcher is a prerequisite to being a good politician. Sorry you haven't figured that out yet!
blazing guns

Honolulu, HI

#19 Jul 23, 2009
Local Boy wrote:
How much of this money (bacon) is the U.S. Government borrowing from other countries? The last time I looked the government, both U.S. state and local didn't have enough money to pay their bills!!
Rainbows for everyone!!!!
Sounds like most Americans doesn't it? Average American carries over $6,000 in credit card debt and spends more than they save. Don't blame the government for our problems - we did it to ourselves.
taxpayer

United States

#20 Jul 23, 2009
Paint the train camo green and maybe the military will pay for it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Schofield Barracks Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Joe BALLS Has Always Been A Big Fat LIAR and A... 2 hr Joe Balls 63
News State lawmaker assaulted at homeless encampment 3 hr This IS GOOD 14
America is FCKED 3 hr Joe Balls 12
News Plastic bag ban starts today on Oahu 3 hr This IS GOOD 11
News Chuukese man gets life term for murder - Hawaii... (Jul '09) 7 hr niewe 218
HI worst in U.S. to make a living (recent survey) 7 hr Lee 1
News Actor Jim Nabors, Gomer Pyle on 'Andy Griffith ... (Jan '13) 15 hr District 1 24
More from around the web

Schofield Barracks People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Schofield Barracks Mortgages