Obama callous on Hiroshima anniversary - Sentinel & Enterprise

Full story: Sentinel & Enterprise

Some 25 years ago I was asked to speak at a ceremony marking the 40th anniversary of the death of the famous war correspondent Ernie Pyle, who had been killed by a Japanese sniper on a small island off Okinawa in the last days of World War II.

Comments (Page 3)

Showing posts 41 - 55 of55
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
George

Marlborough, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2010

I have homes in Marlborough, Boston, and Westminster which gives me a slightly broader perspective on issues. I jump on once in awhile to read the local Sentinel news but folks like Lunenburg, Stamos, Sonny B, Karen, and the late Bruce Marien drive me crazy with their radical and illogical positions. In fact, most posters are intensely biased one way or the other. Thank God for the rest of the people and voters that are "normal".
BeckyP

Temecula, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2010

WOMEN & CHILDREN. Those were the principle victims of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings. The japanese soldiers themselves were only a fraction of the fatalities because, after all, who were the priciple residents of those japan cities towards the end of the war? Even the movie "Empire of the Sun" reflected how japan's air units were down to using little boys for pilots?

Just wanted to add a female perspective into this issue.
BeckyP

Temecula, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2010

Yeah, something to be proud of.
stumpy

Kapaa, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2010

Japan had a huge, undefeated army in China when we dropped the bomb. They did not want the war to end. Had we not dropped the bomb when we did, and the Japanese army been waiting for us, we would have lost hundreds of thousands of Americans. We barely beat the Japs to the bomb as is, and they would have gleefully used it on the U.S. How would your "female perspective" feel about fried American children? I know, you would have wanted to talk about it, maybe have tea with the Japs and have a cry-fest. Maybe have them on the "View?"
DODAVATAR

Irvine, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2010

Using the atomic devices on Nagasaki and Hiroshima was a tragedy with many innocent lives lost or damaged in those blasts. If the devices weren't used more than 10 times that many Japanese would have perished in a U.S. invasion of Japan, not to mention the huge number of American casualties that would occur. U.S. troops would not only have faced soldiers, but civilians, women and children fighting to protect their homeland. The Bomb was the devil's choice and the only option to save as much lives as possible.

The author George Feifer's book TENNOZAN documents the invasion of Okinawa and its bloody battles. The premise is that the then President realizing that an invasion of Japan would make the Battle of Okinawa look like a Sunday School picnic, had to make a (Presidential) decision about using the atomic weapons. Truman had to live with his decision and horrors he inflicted on the Japanese.

Truman's decision most likely haunted him the rest of his life, but he knew that he saved millions of Japanese lives and at least a million U.S. servicemen with his use of atomic devices.

That said, the current President of the United States really has no clue of U.S. history and the sacrifices and decisions made to keep the United States safe. I regret that the U.S. has such and inexperienced President in these times.

Hopefully, he can serve out the next two years without damaging the United States more than he has already done.
Military Man

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2010

Wake up people! That bomb saved millions of American soldiers lives.

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2010

Military Man wrote:
Amen! And civilian lives! Had Carter used that same logic when we spent a whole year being held hostage, future generations could repeat that same message. One lesson bleeding heart liberals have never learned in regard to our enemy and all other bullies: Appeasement begets extortion.
Military Man

East Tulare County, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2010

Stamos wrote:
<quoted text>Amen! And civilian lives! Had Carter used that same logic when we spent a whole year being held hostage, future generations could repeat that same message. One lesson bleeding heart liberals have never learned in regard to our enemy and all other bullies: Appeasement begets extortion.
Yep! We could have saved thousands of American soldier's lives and billions of taxpayer dollars, if we would have just blasted Iraq and Afghanistan into oblivion.
Stamos Fan Club Marl

Marlborough, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2010

Isn't he the best of the best!
The Fourth Estate

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2010

Military Man wrote:
MILLIONS of American soldiers’ lives? Where did you come up with such a figure?
There were about 291,000 combat and 114,000 non-combat American deaths in WWII.

By comparison, there were, by most estimates, somewhere between 150,000 and 200,000 deaths in Hiroshima and Nagasaki, of which, an estimated 20,000 were military deaths.

Many historians believe that the war’s end was already at hand and the bombs were unnecessary.

Believe what you want about the necessity of dropping the bombs, but don’t make factually inaccurate claims to support your position.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0004615.html#a...

http://www.aasc.ucla.edu/cab/200708230009.htm...
beck is a wreck

Lumberton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2010

Military Man wrote:

my gramps was in the pacific with 5th marines. i once asked him if he thought it was the right thing to do to drop the bomb. he said he did. then i asked him if he felt bad about it. this is what he told me.

it was a tragedy. a neccesary one but a tragedy no less. thats what seperates soldiers from dogs of war. one has his humanity when he leaves. the other does not.*
stumpy

Kapaa, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2010

beck is a wreck wrote:
<quoted text>
my gramps was in the pacific with 5th marines. i once asked him if he thought it was the right thing to do to drop the bomb. he said he did. then i asked him if he felt bad about it. this is what he told me.
it was a tragedy. a neccesary one but a tragedy no less. thats what seperates soldiers from dogs of war. one has his humanity when he leaves. the other does not.*
My father spent a couple of months burning Japs out of caves with a flamethrower, in the PI. His statements to us were, "Thank God Truman dropped the bomb, those bastids would never have surrendered."
dave

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2010

Blogenburgian wrote:
To recognize the bombing of these cities and the deaths or vaporization of innocent school children is noting but a good thing to move forward on. Its a no-brainer that not only the US but a lot of Japans own citizens paid dearly during that war.
I'm sure there were no innocent people killed at the unprovoked attack on Pearl Harbor. Give me a break. We should be getting the big I'm sorry from the mouslems any day now for the 9-11 attack. Why is it The U.S. is always the one who must move foward and kiss arss?
dave

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2010

BeckyP wrote:
WOMEN & CHILDREN. Those were the principle victims of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings. The japanese soldiers themselves were only a fraction of the fatalities because, after all, who were the priciple residents of those japan cities towards the end of the war? Even the movie "Empire of the Sun" reflected how japan's air units were down to using little boys for pilots?
Just wanted to add a female perspective into this issue.
Many bombs were dropped on cities with innocent people by all the countries involved. This did not stop the war. The fear from the magnatude of tha A bomb is what stopped the war and prevented others from fing with us for many years. We all enjoyed many years of peace as a result of the bombings. Shttt happens in war. There is always a price to be paid when you attack us, or at least there should be. When we get on our knees like the french did then we have lost.
Military Man

Springville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2010

beck is a wreck wrote:
<quoted text>
You cannot "feel bad" in war! Your job is to blast those enemy bastards into oblivion, period! Do you think Japan "felt bad" about all the people they killed in China, Manilla, or on Pearl Harbor? Do you think that Hitler "felt bad" about the Poles or the Jews? All war is a tragedy. If you as a soldier are going to feel sorry for your enemy, you might as well just lay down your arms and surrender.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 41 - 55 of55
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Schofield Barracks Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Schofield Barracks People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••