Person reportedly struck by train on ...

Person reportedly struck by train on CTA Red Line at Argyle

There are 78 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jul 15, 2008, titled Person reportedly struck by train on CTA Red Line at Argyle. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

CTA Red Line trains are stopped in both directions between the Wilson and Thorndale Avenues after a person was apparently struck by a northbound train at about 4:50 p.m.Tuesday, a CTA spokeswoman said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Allan

Chicago, IL

#1 Jul 15, 2008
I just don't get how this happens.
Rick

Chicago, IL

#4 Jul 15, 2008
I was on a train just pulling into Belmont northboud just after this happened. The conductor got on over the loud speaker and started screaming "Code 1047, Code 1047." Then she proceeded to belt out that if we could hear her and we were standing next to anybody wearing an ipod or other listening device to instruct them to remove it immediatly.
She then gave the announcement that service was suspended Northbound from Belmont and we would all have to detrain - No other explanation.

Geeze CTA! In a shaky world do we really need your employees overhyping an accident. She made it sound as though our lives depended on getting off at Belmont and off the platform as soon as possible. There was a slight panic and mass confusion.

The CTA needs better plans for these kinds of situations.
erin

Chicago, IL

#5 Jul 15, 2008
I was wondering what was going on with the helicopter(s) flying overhead and CTA police, firefighters and Chicago police flying up LSD.

Since: Oct 07

Lake Zurich, IL

#9 Jul 15, 2008
"made contact"??????

I realize that PR involves a fair bit of euphemism, but this is taking it a bit far.
anony mous

Chicago, IL

#10 Jul 15, 2008
Ignorance is bliss

Since: Dec 07

Hickory Hills, IL

#13 Jul 15, 2008
Why don't people take responsibility for their actions? It's not like these trains jump out of nowhere. Seriously...
CubsFan

Lawrence, MI

#15 Jul 15, 2008
Regardless, I hope that this woman's family and friends find comfort after this tragedy.
Dis the Politicians

Corpus Christi, TX

#17 Jul 15, 2008
Allan wrote:
I just don't get how this happens.
Some possibilities are suicide, carelessness, illness, pushing from other passengers waiting for the train, intentional murder.
Smith

Chicago, IL

#18 Jul 15, 2008
This is the second time in one month. Where are the CTA employees at the train stations? They are paid to watch their designated train stations.
Sam Stray

Denver, CO

#19 Jul 15, 2008
The train killed someone on the Blue Line yesterday and the usual excuse from CTA is that it was suicide The pedestrian was on a iPod or talking on a cell-phone is their latest excuse, it is imposible to talk on a cell-phone when a train is passing. There are safety issues being ignored masked behind excuses. Over the past year or two, there have been two children ages 6 and 7 killed by CTA trains and the typical excuse, suicide. If you research the Chicago Tribune archives, the articles about the childrens death being suicide are there; come on CTA do you expect anyone to believe the children commited suicide? When the CTA blames the death of children being run over by their trains as suicide, they have used an excuse that is callous, cold blooded just to avoid liabilaty is a betrayal of the public trust.
Doris M

Raleigh, NC

#21 Jul 15, 2008
I am sick and tired of the CTA. If the CTA were a person, it would belong in a PRISON with a life sentence. I love Chicago, but if they don't get the Olympics, the CTA will be squarely to blame. It is pathetic.
Terri

United States

#22 Jul 15, 2008
Thats sad
Rick A

Chicago, IL

#23 Jul 15, 2008
People are the problem, not the CTA. They walk right out to the edge of the platform to look to see if the train is coming. They can do that just as easily from behind the blue area - which is there for a reason. If they would just pay attention to what they are doing and be more careful, these things would not happen. Of course, that doesn't preclude anyone from jumping in front of the train on purpose -- as I said before, if they're going to do it, they're going to do it and nothing will stop them. Bottom line, though: It's not the CTA's fault.
glip

Scottsdale, AZ

#25 Jul 15, 2008
sad
Penny

North Aurora, IL

#26 Jul 15, 2008
Tragedy aside, the CTA should have some sort of contingency plan in place for emergencies like these. Accidents happen - there is no getting around it. Whether intentional or not, people will get hit by trains. What I don't understand is why the CTA seems so ill-equipped to handle it. A mass exodus from the Belmont platform at 6pm on a weekday to wait for one shuttle bus headed to god knows where that will fit maybe 40 of the 300 people jamming the sidewalk is not my idea of good planning. I don't throw my hard-earned money at the CTA every month for my commute home to involve a hysterical train conductor, a 30 dollar cab ride, and a two mile walk.

Since: Dec 07

Hickory Hills, IL

#28 Jul 15, 2008
Penny wrote:
Tragedy aside, the CTA should have some sort of contingency plan in place for emergencies like these. Accidents happen - there is no getting around it. Whether intentional or not, people will get hit by trains. What I don't understand is why the CTA seems so ill-equipped to handle it. A mass exodus from the Belmont platform at 6pm on a weekday to wait for one shuttle bus headed to god knows where that will fit maybe 40 of the 300 people jamming the sidewalk is not my idea of good planning. I don't throw my hard-earned money at the CTA every month for my commute home to involve a hysterical train conductor, a 30 dollar cab ride, and a two mile walk.
I would envision that any contingency plan short of a private car ride from the place that was shut down to your home wouldn't be enough. It doesn't happen every day. So there's a track going south and one going north. Do you propose 4 tracks total?
LMAO1

Chesterfield, MO

#30 Jul 15, 2008
Penny wrote:
I don't throw my hard-earned money at the CTA every month for my commute home to involve a hysterical train conductor, a 30 dollar cab ride, and a two mile walk.
Next time pay the extra 5 bucks to have the cab take you all the way home.
Spike

Chicago, IL

#32 Jul 15, 2008
Penny wrote:
Clearly, a smooth commute home for you is more important than A HUMAN LIFE.

We're so, SO sorry that the train delayed you from rushing home to change into your stretch sweatpants and watch your reality TV show.
Eddie

Chicago, IL

#33 Jul 15, 2008
People - It's the CTA...trains don't hit people! Get off your iPod/Cell phone and check in with reality.
loose cannon

Lombard, IL

#34 Jul 15, 2008
I've seen how close you stand to the tracks on the platform. Waiting for your train as it pulls into the station.
When I ride Metra, I stand well away until the train comes to a complete standstill.
They won't leave without you.
Stand Back!
I mean it.
The Admiral

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Schiller Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 25 min Reality Check 1,600,711
He Fights. 3 hr I fought 3
dead in a freezer in a freaking hotel man. i sw... 3 hr Ko ko 22
Lenny Lapaglia R.I.P. (Jul '13) 4 hr Dave P 52
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 4 hr KitKaboodle 11,303
Child Molestation at Chicago Cult 6 hr Yes We Can 21
Canada,not so welcoming after all!! 6 hr One Country Down 3

Schiller Park Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance