First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Chris

Columbus, OH

#1 Aug 24, 2007
Does anyone know of any ghost legends in this area? I'm working on a book about haunted places in Illinois and I know a few stories about Galena but I wanted to expand into the surrounding communities as well. Any help would be appreciated. Post here or e-mail [email protected] I'm covering the 33 northern counties in the book so actually if you have any Illinois stories they may be helpful. Thank
Laura

Dodgeville, WI

#2 Oct 26, 2007
I've heard a story that the abbandoned rock house near the Belmont mound in Belmont Wisconsin is haunted. You can see the house from the road (Cty B). I'm not exactly sure what happened. A frind showed me an article from an old paper. It was about ten years when I had seen that. There are other house near.... Maybe some one that lives there would know the story.
ABBEY HOuse

Mount Horeb, WI

#3 Jan 3, 2008
theres the Abbey House in galena! i duno if u know bout that one or not?? supposedly a guy hanged his family from the tree in the front yard??
Jodi

Peoria, IL

#4 Jan 7, 2008
ABBEY HOuse wrote:
theres the Abbey House in galena! i duno if u know bout that one or not?? supposedly a guy hanged his family from the tree in the front yard??
It is actually the Abbley house- out in Council Hill. The man was said to have brutely murdered his family in the house and later hung himself outside in the tree. I've heard of blood stained steps that won't come clean but no ghosts.
Cassie

Fennimore, WI

#5 Feb 8, 2008
I've been to the Abbley house twice in my life. I use to go there with my Fiance. But everytime we went we got a bad feeling. I've never actually been in the house but a lot of people have told me the story. I've been reading different stories about it on the internet but none of them seem to be the real thing. My ex and his friends grew up around it and have gone out there every halloween. I'm trying to find more information but I can't seem too.
Dixon Illinois

AOL

#6 Feb 22, 2008
check into the site of the Dixon Correctional Center.
Brian from Mad-City

Madison, WI

#7 Mar 7, 2008
I grew up about 1 1/2 miles straight north of the Abbey house, the previous stories are the same that I had herd growing up in the area, that he killed his family, then hung them & himself in the large tree out front of the house. The walls of the house were said to have blood smeared all over them.
Back in the late 70’s I would ride my 3-wheeler down to the Abbey House, once it stalled 3-times & 2-times it stalled I was on the 2 bridges leading back to the house [True; my best friend Roger was with me, we were about 14, freaked us out!]. "West Kelly Road" is the name of the long winding road that leads up to the place.
Later in life it was fun to take a date there & freak her out when you would want to go parking or back in the day “Road Drinking” with a bunch that had never been there. Remember I said long winding road leading back to the house, that’s when you told the story about the “Abbey House”, what a hoot it would be..... Chic’s were always wetting their pants, especially after they had a few beers & they were to scared to get out of the car to go potty...
How ironic I was just on Google Earth earlier week & I was looking at the Abbey House, & today I googled it and found this site, I hope we didn’t wake the ghost that walks the grounds of the Abbey House.... I’ll see if any of my old friends want to share any stories.
Brian from Mad-City

Madison, WI

#8 Mar 7, 2008
Here is some I just found to add to your search for information.

Jo Daviess county history book with the story of the Abbley house in it & all 3 familys that were murdered by the man of the household.

Next time I'm back to visit, I'm going to check this out....
Former resident

Cambridge, WI

#9 Mar 10, 2008
The Walker House in Mineral Point- A horse thief was hanged there. Footsteps in a vacant attic, glasses pushed off the bar.
dereck

Madison, WI

#10 Jun 4, 2008
Mickeys tavern in madison. it was told to me that in the 1900's someone was stabbed to death in a bar fight there. My friend works there and has experienced unexplainable things that go on after hours.
Cody

United States

#11 Jun 14, 2008
yeah the abbley house is very creepy!! my friend and i have walked out there a couple times...strange things have happened, but it's privately owned so enter with own risk..
Kev

Chicago, IL

#12 Jul 29, 2008
My cousin owns one of the stores right on Main St. and we would always stay there for days at a time when we were younger (and still do!) Every time we would go there, he would tell me the story of the Abbley House... The insane Mr. Abbley came home from a night of drinking only to poison his two innocent children with noneother than rat poisoning. Next was his wife. He decided to hang her from the large tree in the front yard (after he anged his kids in the barn) to leave her to die. Town officials heard about the incident and decided to burn down the tree. However, doing such, the tree would not burn down!!! To this day you can still see that scary tree. And the tunnels in the road (Posey Hollow i think?) are such a riot...the local teens try to scare ppl by posting scary comments on the cement walls. But if you are looking for a fright, ask anyone in town how to get there and about the legend!!!! Enjoy :)
DDD

Mount Horeb, WI

#13 Jul 30, 2008
Where is this abbandoned rock house at exactly
Kev

Chicago, IL

#14 Jul 31, 2008
Start from downtown Galena. If you take Main St. north to Claude St. and take a right onto it (will turn into Field St. and then W. Stagecocah Trail) and then turn left onto Miner Rd. Follow it until you can't go anymore and turn left (it will still be miner rd.) and then turn left onto Posey Hollow. Follow that until you get to a fork in the road (Kelly rd) and turn left. Go all the way to the railroad tracks and it will be on your right. THIS IS PRIVATE PROPERTY!!! GO AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!
DDD

Mount Horeb, WI

#15 Aug 4, 2008
I know where the abbley house is I was talking about da one in Belmont.
Kev

Bartlett, IL

#16 Aug 5, 2008
Then idk. The Abbley house is better. Does anyone know if youare allowed to stay on that road and look at the house or will they chase down?
DDD

Mount Horeb, WI

#17 Aug 6, 2008
Most of the time they wont. You can even get up to the house.
Kev

Chicago, IL

#18 Aug 6, 2008
I've gone once before. It was Thanksgiving. We drove on the road and just went on the train-tracks. They didn't chase us down and it didn't look like anyone was there. I was under the impression for years that the house was not owned! I guess no. And does anyone know the last name of these people? Can they be found in the telephone phone book?
kathryn

Midland, TX

#19 Aug 12, 2008
i went there last night actually and there is a huge fence arond it now. i couldnt get over it so i am not sure how to.. unless people just try to jump it. the tree was cut down and there is a stump. i heard a old lady lives there but i am not sure
John

United States

#20 Aug 18, 2008
No its not an old lady who lives there its a guy in his mid 40s who is originally from scales mound but he move to rockford. His name is doug anderson

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scales Mound Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Two suspects wanted after officer-involved shoo... May '16 Stephen Harle Senior 1
News Fire at the Olde Hotel in Warren, Ill. 5/12/16 May '16 Mary Marks 1
What's life like in Galena, Illinois? (Jul '10) Feb '16 stubby 4
Debate: Gay Marriage - Galena, IL (Jan '12) Jan '16 david h 3
Review: Timothy's Table (Aug '13) Jul '15 MaryM 3
Tiffany Bennett (Dec '10) Dec '10 evil 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Illinois (... (Oct '10) Nov '10 jc 4

Scales Mound Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Scales Mound Mortgages