Nesconset man sentenced in slaying of Smithtown woman

Full story: Newsday

The last time he was in a room with Victor Chunga, Matthew Watson was playing dead to avoid being killed, the Nesconset man said yesterday in a Riverhead courtroom.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 13 of13
Stanley

Huntington, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2008

Martha Watson is the innocent person who should still be alive today and my sympathy is for her. Her dirt bag, heroin dealing grandson is the one who should be dead as should this puke bag Chunga.
Nick

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2008

This is news? It's Smithtown. It's a common event with those dopeheads.

Since: Dec 07

Riverhead

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2008

Judged:

Why wasn't Matthew Watson arrested in open court when he stated, on the record, that he's a drug dealer?

Is Matthew held to a different standard than Victor, because he's white, like the judge, DA, and Legal Aid attorney?

Why didn't the judge summarily dismiss the Murder 1 charge, when the DA acknowledged that the victims were stabbed with their own knives; not in a premeditated or planned attack, as it was alleged in the trumped up charges?

Why didn't the court-appointed attorney challenge Matthew Watson's well-rehearsed story told today, which changed several times since December?

Why didn't the DA or the judge ever question Matthew Watson's criminal history, his drug customers or suppliers, who all knew he kept money and drugs in the house?

Wouldn't most of you also plead guilty, rather than face the possibility of a life sentence in a county where juries consistently vote against minority defendants?

And what about the extra fingerprints found at the scene, that weren't reported in the news? Today's phrase: cover-up.

This whole thing smelled bad from the beginning. It still does.
The Family

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2008

First, Matthew's story NEVER changed since Dec. I know I have heard it almost daily since the attacks. The only thing that was not said,because he was upset and flustered, was that he begged Victor to not hurt his grandmother and Victor lied stating that she went out with the uncle and was not home.

Second Matthew did not have any narcotics at the house. If you paid attention to what was said he was no longer selling drugs so there was none in the house to be found. They cannot charge you with out evidence. As for Matthew given a break because he is white. Well, he is actually American Indian on his mother's side. Algonquin to be exact. I believe that is considered a minority also.

The reason the charges were not dismissed was the fact that Victor Freely admitted to what he did and took a plea deal. If he did not the case would have gone to trial where he would have had an oppertunity to present he case and his attorney would have been able to challenge Matthew's statement.

Also the "extra fingerprints" that were found at the scene? They were Matt's girlfriend's, Matt's other grandmother, the other grandmother's handy man friend, Martha's Son, and Martha's daughter in law. All of whom were not there that day and had reasons to be int he home as they were helping Martha get the house cleaned up and remodel the downstairs apartment.

This was not to persecute a minority, this was to hold Victor responsible for his actions. Also what about his attempts to break in to Charise's house for money and drugs? That showed a pattern of behavior.
Get a life

Auburndale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2008

Another Long Islander wrote:
Why wasn't Matthew Watson arrested in open court when he stated, on the record, that he's a drug dealer?
Is Matthew held to a different standard than Victor, because he's white, like the judge, DA, and Legal Aid attorney?
Why didn't the judge summarily dismiss the Murder 1 charge, when the DA acknowledged that the victims were stabbed with their own knives; not in a premeditated or planned attack, as it was alleged in the trumped up charges?
Why didn't the court-appointed attorney challenge Matthew Watson's well-rehearsed story told today, which changed several times since December?
Why didn't the DA or the judge ever question Matthew Watson's criminal history, his drug customers or suppliers, who all knew he kept money and drugs in the house?
Wouldn't most of you also plead guilty, rather than face the possibility of a life sentence in a county where juries consistently vote against minority defendants?
And what about the extra fingerprints found at the scene, that weren't reported in the news? Today's phrase: cover-up.
You need to get a life. No conspiracy theory in this case. Twisting facts to your own liking is not going to help your buddy, Chunga. He made a choice that day with a very violent outcome. No one "made" him do anything. He is now paying for the choice he made, now deal with it. Move on. It's OVER

Since: Dec 07

Riverhead

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2008

Judged:

Anyone foolish enough to believe that Suffolk politics does not play into criminal justice either does not know what he's talking about or is ignorant of the atrocities Suffolk politicians and their appointees are capable of committing.

Since: May 08

west hempstead, ny

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2008

riiight..its never the murderers fault or the drug dealers fault..its the cops..ok, now i get it..
Hey Now

Ronkonkoma, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2008

No matter how you slice it, the kid deserves to die. His intentions were to rob the house, and he was obviously prepared to use deadly force if need be. It makes no difference if he walked through the doorway with knives, or if he picked them up on the other side.. the lady is still dead. The original location of the knife is irrelevant.
Yeah OK, the living victim sold drugs. I am sure he would have preferred a jail sentence over the ordeal he went through and the loss of his grandmother. Punishment was served, dont you think?
Take your battle vs the authorities out of the hair of the surviving victims, they are a weak and easy target, as you are a weak and scared instigator.
BTW I have no idea who any of them are, I just saw your pathetic rant and chose to chime in.
Run262

Massapequa, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2008

Anyone foolish enough to believe that Suffolk politics does not play into criminal justice either does not know what he's talking about or is ignorant of the atrocities Suffolk politicians and their appointees are capable of committing.
You are a fool.
Jessie Dangelo

Shirley, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Maybe because THE TRIAL WASN'T about Matthew Watson's but Victor Chunga's... DUH!
Jessie Dangelo

Shirley, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Maybe because THE TRIAL WASN'T about Matthew Watson's but Victor Chunga's... DUH!
Nicole c smith town

Mastic, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2013

If you guys only knew the real and whole story, I graduated with both men and was a good friend to both of them, please, have some respect!
Chris

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2013

First of all I don't know why all you people talk aboutnthisnwhen you didn't know either one I graduated with bothnof them and they were both nice good kids, the prob
Em is you people don't see that drugs will change a person. Make you do things you never would have done, now does Victor deserve to pay absolutely but if he never got into heroin never would have happened. And you know what Matt was selling drugs to support his habit better idea then stabbing somebody's grandma to death don't always be so quick to judge. This is CHRIS FORD out.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 13 of13
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Sayville News Video

•••
Sayville Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Sayville Jobs

•••
•••
•••