Reeanne

Maywood, NJ

#21 Oct 16, 2010
I grew up in Ronkonkoma in the 60's and 70's and I LOVED it! I think we moved there about 1968 (I was 4 or 5)and we were like pretty much the only house around surrounded by woods(trees)EVERYWHERE. It was SO country and lots of nature to love until they started to develop it over the years. It happened so fast. I get so sad thinking about it. I can't even go visit anymore. I miss the way it was. Now there is a zillion homes, industrial buildings everywhere and no trees. I left that area in '79. I remember the Hardees and LOVED their burgers. I still think of them at times when I'm eating some crappy burger. I've told people about that place and they think it's the same Hardees that still exists around in places, but I don't think it is. I remember Wessons too(another great burger place), The Grant shopping center, Billy Blakes (then became Korvettes)...those were not in Ronkonkoma though, I don't think, but nearby somewhere. I was little and didn't know. Always wonder if the Macedonia farm is still there off 5th I think (otherwise known as the pig farm). I remember when that 7-Eleven was built on Peconic St. right by the Junior High School. We kids were THRILLED we were there all the time buying all the candy we wanted..LOL. I have many fond memories of living there and feel lucky I grew up there.
HomeGrownTomatoe s

Lake Grove, NY

#22 Oct 16, 2010
A few more stores: The shoe store was Powers and the clothing store next to it was Alper's Outlet. The first pizza shop was Papa Chick's which became JJ's, then the Stag's Head Inn to presently be the Filthy Frogz. Robin's Hardware was across the street, next to Whalen's Drug Store.

Since: Oct 09

Hart County, KY.

#23 Oct 16, 2010
Reeanne wrote:
I grew up in Ronkonkoma in the 60's and 70's and I LOVED it! I think we moved there about 1968 (I was 4 or 5)and we were like pretty much the only house around surrounded by woods(trees)EVERYWHERE. It was SO country and lots of nature to love until they started to develop it over the years. It happened so fast. I get so sad thinking about it. I can't even go visit anymore. I miss the way it was. Now there is a zillion homes, industrial buildings everywhere and no trees. I left that area in '79. I remember the Hardees and LOVED their burgers. I still think of them at times when I'm eating some crappy burger. I've told people about that place and they think it's the same Hardees that still exists around in places, but I don't think it is. I remember Wessons too(another great burger place), The Grant shopping center, Billy Blakes (then became Korvettes)...those were not in Ronkonkoma though, I don't think, but nearby somewhere. I was little and didn't know. Always wonder if the Macedonia farm is still there off 5th I think (otherwise known as the pig farm). I remember when that 7-Eleven was built on Peconic St. right by the Junior High School. We kids were THRILLED we were there all the time buying all the candy we wanted..LOL. I have many fond memories of living there and feel lucky I grew up there.
Wow...yeah, I remember when I was a kid in the early 70's, we'd drive down Ocean Ave. to Bohemia, and there was just nothing but woods between Peconic and Vets- and I'd think to myself "When I get older and get a car, I'm gonna go exploring those woods"- but of course by the time I was old enough to do that, the woods were all gone and replaced by a bunch of crappy factories and offices. It truly was a paradise back then, and we were really privileged to grow up there- because back then, it was probably the best place in the whole country. Today? Pffft! I wouldn't even want to set foot there again. It makes me sick to see what it is now , and how it's now full of all kinds of ghetto-dwellers from the city.(The ones that our parents moved there from the city to get away from)
S Hahn

Andover, NJ

#24 Dec 12, 2010
We lived across the street from Yarlow's house on the Rustic Road side. I remember them very well. I also remember the Buster Brown shoes!! And we used to love to go the hardware store with my Dad when we were really young (early 60's).
And yes the bakery in town did have the best Jelly donuts...it was our Sunday after-church treat.

Hart County, KY.

#25 Dec 13, 2010
Anyone remember Miss Biance, the principal of Gatelot Elementary in the 60's/early 70's?

I got sent to her office only once- boy, that was SCARY! I liked her though, she seemed like a nice lady.

Hart County, KY.

#26 Dec 13, 2010
Ooopps! Typo- that should be Miss Bianca.
jeanne carroll

Elizabeth, NJ

#27 Dec 20, 2010
does anyone remember the old bridge that went over train tracks on ronkonkoma ave?
jeanne carroll

Elizabeth, NJ

#28 Dec 20, 2010
S Hahn wrote:
We lived across the street from Yarlow's house on the Rustic Road side. I remember them very well. I also remember the Buster Brown shoes!! And we used to love to go the hardware store with my Dad when we were really young (early 60's).
And yes the bakery in town did have the best Jelly donuts...it was our Sunday after-church treat.
yes that was exactly what we would do top.

Hart County, KY.

#29 Dec 21, 2010
jeanne carroll wrote:
does anyone remember the old bridge that went over train tracks on ronkonkoma ave?
I do! It was so rickety- I loved riding over it when I was a kid. One time we to stop in traffic while still on the bridge....you could feel it swaying!

Remember how nice the old train station was? It had trees and grassy areas- looked like a park on a summer's day.

And where they had parking, on the other side of the tracks- perpendicular to the tracks....

I had never been down that street (Easton- or was that section of it called Railroad Ave.?)...always wondered what was down it, between the Ronk station and Coates Ave.....never got to find out before they tore it up to make the access road and the new (Uhhggg) station.

Ronkonkoma was such a neat place, then- and there was so much for a kid to explore! Now it's all gone...and Ronk has lost all of it's character and charm.

I would have also loved to have explored the woods which occupied what is now the Kohl's/King Kullen shopping center- I'd love to know what was in there and along the perimeter of it before they built the shopping center....but I was still very young when they built the center. We lived half a block from it. I remember walking to the lake with my mother on a summer's day....and all the woods were being bulldozed....:(
George Lipponer

AOL

#30 Jan 7, 2011
Original T Jefferson wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks! Some of that stuff I did not know.(But we always knew Al and "Murray" Yarlow...)
Was that Gehweiler's the same business that became the florist that had been next-door to Tom's in the 60's and 70's?(My sister had worked there in the 60's)- I think there was a shoe store between Gehweiler's and Tom's?
Then there was Fayne's drugstore.....and then two small shops between Fayne's and Agnew & Taylor (I think one was a real estate office for a while?)
On the south side of Portion Rd. before they built the Grant's (now Kohl's) shopping center and "Valley National Bank" and all, was there anything there?(My earliest memories of that stretch were of it being all torn up, when they had it all bulldozed to build the shopping center).
Thanks again for the interesting info!
There was a shoe store next to Gehweilers. It was Powers Shoes and he sold Thom Mcann shoes. A regular family trip when school started. next to Fayne's Drugs was a small butcher store run by a man 'Sandy'and the other store was Prestano's bakery. There was also a small TV repair shop there one time.
Rev Dr Antonio Clay

Bronx, NY

#31 Jan 7, 2011
always plenty af great beaver in those days,used to love giving mustache rides on Saturdays!
Jayar

Freeport, NY

#32 Jan 8, 2011
Original T Jefferson wrote:
<quoted text>
I do! It was so rickety- I loved riding over it when I was a kid. One time we to stop in traffic while still on the bridge....you could feel it swaying!
Remember how nice the old train station was? It had trees and grassy areas- looked like a park on a summer's day.
And where they had parking, on the other side of the tracks- perpendicular to the tracks....
I had never been down that street (Easton- or was that section of it called Railroad Ave.?)...always wondered what was down it, between the Ronk station and Coates Ave.....never got to find out before they tore it up to make the access road and the new (Uhhggg) station.
Ronkonkoma was such a neat place, then- and there was so much for a kid to explore! Now it's all gone...and Ronk has lost all of it's character and charm.
I would have also loved to have explored the woods which occupied what is now the Kohl's/King Kullen shopping center- I'd love to know what was in there and along the perimeter of it before they built the shopping center....but I was still very young when they built the center. We lived half a block from it. I remember walking to the lake with my mother on a summer's day....and all the woods were being bulldozed....:(
Ronkonkoma Hub
Jayar

Freeport, NY

#33 Jan 8, 2011
Rev Dr Antonio Clay wrote:
always plenty af great beaver in those days,used to love giving mustache rides on Saturdays!
Grandpa knows best
http://i.imgur.com/bbzpI.jpg

Hart County, KY.

#34 Jan 8, 2011
Jayar wrote:
<quoted text>
Ronkonkoma Hub
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =L-7EtfGpXm4XX
[Shudder]....It's gonna be another Nassau. It practically is already. Every time they do all this "planning" and dictate what should be from the government down to the people, it never turns out good and never has the long-term staying power of a real community which is created through free-enterprise and the independent actions of people- just like when they do those downtown revitalization things.......just like when they built the new train station almost 25 years ago, it was supposed to "revitalize the area"- but of course, it just made it worse....so too, this nonsense will just be another expenditure which will benefit a few people at the expense of the rest.

When are they going to learn that real communities are built by the people and families who live and work in them- and not by some planners and politicians who dream of some Orwellian society in which your kids are raised by strangers as you speed off to a job for the next 12 hours?

Hart County, KY.

#35 Jan 8, 2011
George Lipponer wrote:
<quoted text>There was a shoe store next to Gehweilers. It was Powers Shoes and he sold Thom Mcann shoes. A regular family trip when school started. next to Fayne's Drugs was a small butcher store run by a man 'Sandy'and the other store was Prestano's bakery. There was also a small TV repair shop there one time.
Ah yes! I remember the bakery....and I'd get my school shoes at Power's too! The butcher shop was Straub's.

Does anyone remember Lake Heroes? Man...for $1.25, you'd get the most delicious hero loaded up with stuff like I've never seen at any other place since!
Holbrook Fan

Fairport, NY

#36 Jan 10, 2011
I love all of the memories that everyone has posted. What about Bowlerland and the big Carvel on Portion Road. Does anyone remember the Jerry Lewis Cinema and the Roy Rogers hamburger place? What about the Bavarian Inn by the lake? What about a small local tavern named Cedarfields? What about when there was only one Sachem High School? I loved H&H Bakery!.Lake Ronkonkoma is not the same. I was there about three years ago and it is so congested and overbuilt. many of the landmarks that remembered were remodled or gone. I sure miss the good old days!!!!
Evan Politico

Bronx, NY

#37 Jan 10, 2011
I remember getting my power tool greased behind Carvel on Portion Road.

Hart County, KY.

#38 Jan 10, 2011
Holbrook Fan wrote:
I love all of the memories that everyone has posted. What about Bowlerland and the big Carvel on Portion Road. Does anyone remember the Jerry Lewis Cinema and the Roy Rogers hamburger place? What about the Bavarian Inn by the lake? What about a small local tavern named Cedarfields? What about when there was only one Sachem High School? I loved H&H Bakery!.Lake Ronkonkoma is not the same. I was there about three years ago and it is so congested and overbuilt. many of the landmarks that remembered were remodled or gone. I sure miss the good old days!!!!
Are you talking about the Carvel on Portion up by Patchogue-Holbrook Rd? Or the one that was by the lake (opposite side of the street and down a little from the Barbarian Inn)?(That one was already abandoned by the time I was a kid...and then the building eventually torn down- in the 80's I think).

And I spent many a weekend afternoon at the matinee at the Jerry Lewis Cinema! I still remember some of the movies I saw- including "Bill And Coo"- which had an all-bird cast....

I had such wonderful times growing up there...it's such a shame to see it the way it is now.

Oh...and I remember the Roy Roger's building before it was Roy Roger's- it was originally a Hardee's (And they were actually very good back then! We still have Hardee's down here...but they are nothing like they used to be- then again, neither is any fast food joint)

Hart County, KY.

#39 Jan 10, 2011
Evan Politico wrote:
I remember getting my power tool greased behind Carvel on Portion Road.
By the Turkish guy who worked at the Aamoco station?
Holbrook Fan

Fairport, NY

#40 Jan 11, 2011
I was referencing the carvel on Portion Road close to Holbrook Road. Do you remember the name of the Pizzeria that was in the shopping center behind Roy Rogers? I remember going their as a kid with my dad and they gave us two sicilian pizzas for free because they messed up our order. Did anyone take driving lessons from Lake Auto School over by St. Joseph's Church? I will post more memories as soon as I can remember them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sayville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Arrest Report: DWI, Criminal Possession (Nov '11) 8 hr Ginger 16
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 16 hr Up yours and chee... 119,690
Aunt paroled in 1983 murder of niece, 5, in NY (May '09) 22 hr Lili 15
Race War Thu Brooklynn 10
Slime Bags (May '12) Dec 20 Busted 16
Subway (May '14) Dec 18 Taxes Due 3
Gay Friendly Sayville? Oct '14 Gayville 3

Sayville News Video

Sayville Dating
Find my Match