Dog owners battle volunteer at Middle Island dog park

Full story: Newsday 21
When the Town of Brookhaven opened a dog park in Middle Island 10 weeks ago, Jordan Lederman was among dozens of dog owners who believed he finally had a place to take his best friend. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Idiots

United States

#1 Jul 10, 2008
More proof that dog owners are koo-koo in the head.
Dog Owner

Seaford, NY

#4 Jul 10, 2008
I used to take my dog to the Cedar Creek dog park. There was a crazy lady there who bred German shorthair pointers. She wrecked it for everyone and we don't go there anymore. All you need is one person to mess it up.

The toys do cause dogs to fight.
Jen

Hightstown, NJ

#6 Jul 11, 2008
I'm from Ohio, and I just happened to stumble across this article. My dogs and I frequent a very lovely dog park that also has a "no toys" policy. Occasionally someone will bring in a toy anyway, and 9 times out of 10, a fight will break out. Dog parks have to have rules to protect the dogs and their owners. It sounds to me like Gina is just trying to keep the peace and enforce the rules. Someone has to do it, and everyone else should just chill out.

Since: Jun 08

Brooklyn, NY

#7 Jul 11, 2008
People don't want to follow the rules. When a fight breaks out and a dog gets killed, they will be the first to cry and sue the town.
Jordan Lederman

Brooklyn, NY

#9 Jul 25, 2008
The banning of "balls and toys" at the Middle Island Dog Park is the side issue.
Eileen Amnentler says in her opposing Newsday letter of 7/17 "each person who registers for the park signs and agrees to adhere to all the Rules and Regulations of the park." I agree with her. The agreement I signed did not ban "balls and toys." The earlier registrants all have the same agreement which never addressed this later added restriction. Councilperson Kepert and Gina Lewis ignored the "Rule of Law" when they unilaterally changed our signed agreement. Their arrogance in ignoring the wishes of the vast majority of the park users which wants balls and toys is inexcusable. There was no "Public Notice" or "Public Hearing" at the dog park or any other venue in which dog park users could voice their opinion about a sudden and unpopular rule change. Brookhaven Town Board arbitrarily changed the rules at the May 20th meeting.
The Middle Island Dog Park is the only known dog park in the United States to ban balls and toys. I am the only person in history to be given two summonses for breaking the "no balls and toys" ban. It took Brookhaven Public Safety one hour to write the first summons on Wednesday July 2nd. The Commissioner, Director, and six officers could not figure out how to write the summons. This is Brookhaven tax dollars at work!
Councilperson Kepert responded in a New 12 Long Island interview on July 4th the budgetary shortages prevented the park from being open "dawn to dusk" as the Brookhaven Town Rules and Regulations promise. She ignores the fact that every day the park attendant's work shift overlap for four hours from noon till 4pm. This mindless overlap mid-day coincides with the time that the park is least used. The reason for the overlap is that the attendants work an eight hour day with one shift beginning at 8AM and the second beginning at 12PM. If the first shift began at 6:30AM and continued till 2:30PM and the second shift began at 1:30PM and continued til 9:30PM there would still be some overlap but the needs of the taxpaying members of the park would be better served. They would be able to take their dogs before work and not be evicted at 8PM after returning home. This obviously would be at no additional cost to the town.
Jordan Lederman

Brooklyn, NY

#10 Jul 25, 2008
Dog Park toys in quantities of twenty or more that always stay in the park are safe and are to be distinguished from a single toy that a dog owner brings with him/her to the park. Such a personal possession can obviously generate conflict and I agree should be banned. Councilwomen Kepert commented on News 12 Long Island that the Middle Island Dog Park rules have been voted the "most comprehensive in the nation". Who voted and how were these voters picked? Mr. Zardus, who has been quoted by the Councilperson in the past runs one of many dog related web sites is not an authority. He expressed his solitary and unsubstantiated feelings. His credentials are quite suspect. Half truths and ambiguities only make communication and resolution far more difficult.
The "Brookhaven Town Park Attendants Daily Log Book" which is an official record of "Park Events/Issues" lists numerous incidents of Gina Lewis abusing (kicking) dogs, people, and town park attendants.
We have gathered more than 60 signatures on our petitions requesting changes be made by the town. We can not even get running water or garbage picked up at the park. There are thousands of pine branches the lie in the park which when eaten by unwary dogs cause gastrointestinal problems needing professional veterinary care. Having balls and toys may distract the dogs from eating these irritants. When will Brookhaven change its ways?
The only way to resolve these issues that have polarized the members of the dog loving community at the Middle Island Dog Park, I suggest, would be an open discussion at a scheduled meeting of the constituents having "Pooch Passes". A democratically elected non-partisan committee would be empowered to faithfully represent all the dog lovers and address concerns that have plagued this community. These issues should not be trivialized by the seemingly uninvolved community. They represent a microcosm where abusive power undermines the public trust.
Jordan Lederman
Jordan Lederman

Brooklyn, NY

#11 Jul 25, 2008
I demand the "Rule of Law".
The banning of "balls and toys" at the Middle Island Dog Park is the side issue.
Eileen Amnentler says in her opposing Newsday letter of 7/17 "each person who registers for the park signs and agrees to adhere to all the Rules and Regulations of the park." I agree with her. The agreement I signed did not ban "balls and toys." The earlier registrants all have the same agreement which never addressed this later added restriction. Councilperson Kepert and Gina Lewis ignored the "Rule of Law" when they unilaterally changed our signed agreement. Their arrogance in ignoring the wishes of the vast majority of the park users which wants balls and toys is inexcusable. There was no "Public Notice" or "Public Hearing" at the dog park or any other venue in which dog park users could voice their opinion about a sudden and unpopular rule change. Brookhaven Town Board arbitrarily changed the rules at the May 20th meeting.
The Middle Island Dog Park is the only known dog park in the United States to ban balls and toys. I am the only person in history to be given two summonses for breaking the "no balls and toys" ban. It took Brookhaven Public Safety one hour to write the first summons on Wednesday July 2nd. The Commissioner, Director, and six officers could not figure out how to write the summons. This is Brookhaven tax dollars at work!
Councilperson Kepert responded in a New 12 Long Island interview on July 4th the budgetary shortages prevented the park from being open "dawn to dusk" as the Brookhaven Town Rules and Regulations promise. She ignores the fact that every day the park attendant's work shift overlap for four hours from noon till 4pm. This mindless overlap mid-day coincides with the time that the park is least used. The reason for the overlap is that the attendants work an eight hour day with one shift beginning at 8AM and the second beginning at 12PM. If the first shift began at 6:30AM and continued till 2:30PM and the second shift began at 1:30PM and continued til 9:30PM there would still be some overlap but the needs of the taxpaying members of the park would be better served. They would be able to take their dogs before work and not be evicted at 8PM after returning home. This obviously would be at no additional cost to the town.
Give it up Lederman

Middle Island, NY

#12 Jul 25, 2008
YOU are the one that has no reguards for anyone else. YOU are also the one who is nasty and mean. I have been at the park and I have heard you threaten to kill Gina more then once. YOU are the one that is creating all of the problems down there. Oh and I cannot believe that you are still bringing water bottles to throw to your dog. Are you out of you mind? You have created ALOT of dog fights down there these past 2 weeks. Does someones dog need to be seriously hurt for you to get a clue? You need to leave the dog park and take all of your friends with you. You also NEED TO STOP LYING!!!! Gina has never kicked a dog, a person or a park attendent. You and your friends just have a problem with her because she is the only one down there that inforces the rules. You are a grumpy old man with nothing better to do. You may have "60 signatures" but trust me Gina has ALOT more people standing behind her on this whole thing. You are not going to win, you are just wasting everyone's time. Go to another dog park and cause problems there. It is not fair to anyone that you are doing this. YOU are going to get the dog park shut down, then what? You will have nothing to do. All I can say to you Lederman is what goes aroung comes around, and you will get yours someday. I do not know why anyone would want to do the things that you have done to a nice person. You are the violent, out of control, aggressive person down there. How many times do we need to call public saftey on you before you realize that most people do not want you there? Go somewhere else and find something else to do!!!!
Bernadette Rocks

Medford, NY

#13 Jul 28, 2008
Idiots wrote:
More proof that dog owners are koo-koo in the head.
FUNNY.....I NEVER TRUSTED ANY ONE WHO DIDn't LOVE ANIMALS...HEY THEY WERE HERE BEFORE US!
Bernadette Rocks

Medford, NY

#14 Jul 28, 2008
These people have to put their pride aside and be adults....This is a wonderful Park...the dogs love it...as long as they are monitored and the rules are followed ...it could be a beautiful thing!!But unfortunately you always have those people who defy the rules and regulations...Look at the state of our world! I understand everyone has a right to their oppinion...but this is just nuts...EVERY NIGHT THAT WACKY MAN IS DOING SOME OTHER CRAZY STUNT....THREATENING PEOPLE...THROWING WATER BOTTLES AND GOD KNOWS WHAT ELSE...USING PROFANITY>>>He's NOT A VERY NICE PERSON...I SAY IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE RULES...GET YOU MONEY BACK...WE'LL BE HAPPY TO REFUND YOUR 25$...MONEY WELL SPENT!!!!
poops

Medford, NY

#15 Jul 28, 2008
I say GIVE JORDAN BACK HIS 254 AND CALL IT A DAY....EVERY ONE THINKS HE'S NUTS ANY WAY!!! HE'S CONSTANTLY THREATENING EVERYONE HE DOESN'T APPROVE OF WITH HIS VERY SCAREY FACE.....HE NEEDS MEDS...BAD!! AND SOON
poops

Medford, NY

#16 Jul 28, 2008
I say GIVE JORDAN BACK HIS 25$ AND CALL IT A DAY....EVERY ONE THINKS HE'S NUTS ANY WAY!!! HE'S CONSTANTLY THREATENING EVERYONE HE DOESN'T APPROVE OF WITH HIS VERY SCAREY FACE.....HE NEEDS MEDS...BAD!! AND SOON
Vote Free

Columbia, MO

#17 Jul 29, 2008
So did we get rid of this little dog park saddam yet? Imagine if she kicked your dog.

How about this, if this were a man, he'd have been arrested a lon g time ago.

Free the Dog Park!!
Vote Free

Columbia, MO

#18 Jul 29, 2008
I've been to dog parks for years and all over this country and have never..NEVER...seen dogs fight over a toy. I've seen dogs snap at each other because a pet owner is petting another dog and that owner's dog gets jealous...ban owners? I've seen female dogs bite male dogs because the male dogs try to mate with uninterested femail dog. Ban male dogs? The best dog parks are the ones where there's a place for owners to sit and watch their dogs while the dogs run around. There are no employees of the park, everyone follows basic courtesy...the second a dog is aggressive it needs to be removed...REGARDLESS OF THE REASON!
Mr Goo

Bronx, NY

#19 Jul 29, 2008
i eat dog solve problem
rj the wise 1

Sound Beach, NY

#20 Aug 3, 2008
Vote Free wrote:
So did we get rid of this little dog park saddam yet? Imagine if she kicked your dog.
How about this, if this were a man, he'd have been arrested a lon g time ago.
Free the Dog Park!!
Did you see her "kick" dogs from your home in Tenessee? If you live in tenesse, how can you comment?
bigdog

Spring Valley, NY

#21 Aug 16, 2008
So sad. A lot of information has not been given. There are 2 areas with chain link between. Big dog area and small (under 30 lb) the man involved has a big dog, the woman a small. She is always interfering with things on the big side. The people ON the big side all get along, like the guy and his dog, she's a doll and they all get along. They work together, let someone know if their dog is a little rough and everyone is polite. Why on earth does that woman feel she needs to enforce rules for us when we are having NO problem. IF we were complaining ok but no one has. The only problems in the park have all been instigated by her about things happening on the other side of the fence. She's even tried to direct where to put OUR benches and we sit on them not her! That's the only problem. If she would just look at her small dog park and leave us alone all would be just fine. We'd like Nikki (dog) back. She's a good gal and very socially polite.
dog lover

Sound Beach, NY

#22 Aug 17, 2008
bigdog wrote:
So sad. A lot of information has not been given. There are 2 areas with chain link between. Big dog area and small (under 30 lb) the man involved has a big dog, the woman a small. She is always interfering with things on the big side. The people ON the big side all get along, like the guy and his dog, she's a doll and they all get along. They work together, let someone know if their dog is a little rough and everyone is polite. Why on earth does that woman feel she needs to enforce rules for us when we are having NO problem. IF we were complaining ok but no one has. The only problems in the park have all been instigated by her about things happening on the other side of the fence. She's even tried to direct where to put OUR benches and we sit on them not her! That's the only problem. If she would just look at her small dog park and leave us alone all would be just fine. We'd like Nikki (dog) back. She's a good gal and very socially polite.
You certainly seem to have a lot of hate goin on, dont you?
bigdog

Spring Valley, NY

#23 Aug 18, 2008
Please use the dictionary before throwing nasty words around. Where do you (not a participant in this particular park) come off thinking it is hateful for the people using it to say 'please stop butting in when you have no dog here' to one person causing huge problems.
What dictionary do you have that defines hate as trying to get a troublemaker to stay away so there is calm and peace?
How is it hate to say the people using the park ALL get along. A person NOT using it is causing trouble. Stop writing silly nonsense and go nip at someone else's heels where you have a cause.
If you want a cause Gina had an activity cancelled by the govt. because she tried to have TOYS part of the activity and they are not allowed! Ask the town board about that! Complain about that instigation of trouble. ENOUGH. Big Dog will not talk to you again because you don't even understand what you read.
bigdog

Spring Valley, NY

#25 Aug 21, 2008
That's disgusting. That's not funny at all and your snipe should be removed. We all use the park, black white yellow red DOGS and PEOPLE! Some of us even have dogs of a different color than we are. And we all get along just fine. What ever you volunteer at I sure hope it's not with children who are impressionable. If it's with dogs I know they can sense what you are no matter how hard you try to hide it. You owe a big apology to the "black folk that pee" shame on you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sayville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 17 min An NFL Fan 118,212
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) 21 min henu 6,429
you left your dog behind 6 hr Mary tienken 4
Review: Face Off Racing (Feb '10) 15 hr rob 210
Who is Arty Price 19 hr Cher 1
Lingering scars of a fateful night (Mar '07) Sep 12 You Lied 46
NY New York Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) Sep 12 Stan Stasiak 16,786
•••

Sayville News Video

•••
•••

Sayville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••
•••

Sayville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE