Officials: Collection boxes often are...

Officials: Collection boxes often aren't about charity

There are 37 comments on the Newsday story from Jul 22, 2008, titled Officials: Collection boxes often aren't about charity. In it, Newsday reports that:

A white steel container planted near Main Street in Sayville says: "Thank you for donating clothing, toys and shoes." But the cast-off garments heaped inside aren't going to charity, Islip officials say.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
jethro

United States

#29 Jul 23, 2008
The town should have these boxes pick up in 24 hours and the companies fined.
sassy

Cumming, GA

#30 Jul 23, 2008
I take all my stuff to the goodwill or the veterans at least they care about the people!
Not Impressed

Milford, CT

#31 Jul 23, 2008
I applaud the town of Islip for cracking down on these collection bins. I boo them for ignoring them all this time.

There should be a truth in advertising law on these 'donation' bins that requires them to be clearly marked as for charity, for recycling or for profit/resale.
I Have His Wallet

United States

#32 Jul 23, 2008
St Vincent DePaul is the way to go.
John-Willy Park

Holtsville, NY

#33 Jul 23, 2008
This has been going on for years. Clothing boxes even with legit organization names on them collect clothes and the organization gets a pittance while the box owners clean up. Same thing when you donate your car. You actually give it to a car dealer who gives the charity a a few dollars. And don't forget the phone solicitations for the cops, vets and others. When you give by phone , many times it's a professional fund raising company that gets hefty operating fees for soliciting your donation. Often times the named charity gets a small percentage of the funds collected and sometimes nothing. Check out the attorney general sight for NY State and you can find out how much of your donation actually goes to charity.
cat

Edison, NJ

#34 Jul 23, 2008
I Have His Wallet wrote:
St Vincent DePaul is the way to go.
I've been to St. Vincent's (Jericho Tpke for those that live closeby)..mostly furniture.
Some clothes...very musty.
Pronto is very different...huge facility...everything is very clean..you can also donate household goods. The people that oversee Pronto are very appreciative of everything donated.
cat

Edison, NJ

#35 Jul 23, 2008
Unknown here wrote:
I usally have a yard sale and sell the clothes and make the money in my own pocket . what every I dont sell gets Donated To P.A.L they come to your home and pick up what you donated for them and give you a certifcate towards your incomes taxes , the last load I donated were 15 lawn & leaf size bags
Making money is not the focus for many. I'd rather donate ..then make the few dollars you in a yard sale...
cat

Edison, NJ

#36 Jul 23, 2008
Let me say this again...yard sales can be fun .. for those people that don't need......

People in need in low socio-economic areas do not go to yard sales...they go to St V or Dress for Success and places like Pronto for those that live on LI, Big Brothers.....

I go to yard sales...hoping to find the Declaration of Independence under a $2 picture frame....or an antique or collectible...or just a 'find'..that has no monetary value..but is a 'find' just as well.
booker t

Andover, NJ

#37 Jul 23, 2008
See a homeless clown and hand him your old coat. If you feel the need to perpetuate homeless and needy then walk up to a person in need and hand it to them, then you know it got there.
Non profit is a joke. It just gives the owners of these organizations a free hand to blow the money on expesive things to show No profit
cat

Edison, NJ

#38 Jul 23, 2008
booker t wrote:
See a homeless clown and hand him your old coat. If you feel the need to perpetuate homeless and needy then walk up to a person in need and hand it to them, then you know it got there.
Non profit is a joke. It just gives the owners of these organizations a free hand to blow the money on expesive things to show No profit
Didn't realize that helping the poor perpetuates staying poor..what a concept! Perhaps you need to rethink that.
sassy

Cumming, GA

#39 Jul 23, 2008
BOOMER wrote:
People are poor because thy choose to live that way. I take my use cloths to the dump HA!!!
Its nce to know most people are not like you, your quite IGNORANT!!!!!!!!!!
Joann C

New York, NY

#40 Jul 23, 2008
I put mine in the PAL box in Bohemia it is in a parking lot on Church St. I think it is a real shame that dirt bags take advantage of our generous nature. May they all rot in hell.
Bleeding us dry

Andover, NJ

#41 Jul 23, 2008
cat wrote:
<quoted text>
Didn't realize that helping the poor perpetuates staying poor..what a concept! Perhaps you need to rethink that.

No,he's right. Welfare is failing because there is no incentive with the 'handout' to do something to get yourself out of poverty.
Hand someone a jacket today and they will be at your doorstep tomorrow looking for shoes and pants. Why work for it if I can knock on this guys door and get it.
Will a bird hund for it's meal or will it fly to your birdfeeder. taking the road of least resistance is what animals do.
cat

Edison, NJ

#42 Jul 23, 2008
Bleeding us dry wrote:
<quoted text>
No,he's right. Welfare is failing because there is no incentive with the 'handout' to do something to get yourself out of poverty.
Hand someone a jacket today and they will be at your doorstep tomorrow looking for shoes and pants. Why work for it if I can knock on this guys door and get it.
Will a bird hund for it's meal or will it fly to your birdfeeder. taking the road of least resistance is what animals do.
There are people that don't want to break the cycle-some that don't know how-uneducated or drugs or both...those that want to stay on Welfare..they have no way of living if they don't stay on assistance..some that even cheat Welfare and collect under different names. I know that. Do you realize though that many of us-those that have a roof over our heads and food enough for our families..are one or two paychecks away from being homeless? I don't think the welfare mother and her children want to live in a shelter or under a bridge forever...A winter's jacket can mean alot. I've donated them..I know. I also donate turkeys to shelters over the holidays. So many people are appreciative of anything you do for them-they aren't all street people out to 'get you'. Some homeless (and welfare) people once had a home, a family and money in the bank...many things can happen to people...There But For The Grace of God Go I..it can happen to anyone of us....an illness, a divorce....
I see all sides of government assistance and I'm not naive...there are people that want the help, need the help and even want to help themselves.
unknown

New York, NY

#43 Jul 26, 2008
cat wrote:
<quoted text>
Making money is not the focus for many. I'd rather donate ..then make the few dollars you in a yard sale...
that is up to you !!!! I make the good money and then donate
Ham Burgler

Raritan, NJ

#44 Jul 28, 2008
I actually give my clothes right to the blacks.
Perlinator

Morristown, NJ

#45 Jul 30, 2008
To Boomer of Hagerstown, MD: You say that people are poor because they choose to be? What do you think happened in the Great Depression in 1929? Did millions of Americans all suddenly choose to be poor one day?

In today's economy, there are many people who WORK FULL TIME and still live in poverty.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Maybe in the near future YOU will experience poverty (or even homelessness) firsthand; perhaps that will cure your ignorance.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sayville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Murder 1995 - 1996 (Mar '07) 8 hr Supersw33t 28
News Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) Tue wow 121,881
News Islip OKs tax breaks for B & S Fragrances & Cos... Mon shame on you 2
Hookups in sayville Jul 22 sayville16 1
Review: Long Island Academy Of Dance (Oct '08) Jul 20 dancer 14
News Islip, citing finances, moves on $10M in bonds ... Jul 18 rabid tabby 7
News Bay Shore Marina parking meters begin operation... Jul 18 rabid tabby 9

Sayville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance